Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Iced Sugar Cookies (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/516418-iced-sugar-cookies.html)

Kevinpa 09-16-2007 09:36 AM

Iced Sugar Cookies

4 Attachment(s)
I was going through my HC recipe box this morning and happened on a recipe for sugar cookies and icing so I decided to practice for Christmas and see if I could improve on my past attempts using my LC cake and cookie flour mix.

Here are the results.
It made 18 cookies of varying sizes.
Cookie

1 1/8 cup LC cake and cookie flour mix
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. diabetisweet
1 splenda quick pack
1/2 stick butter, chilled
1 large egg

In electric mixing bowl combine flour, soda, and sweeteners.
Cut in chilled butter to form a crumbled dough.
Mix in egg until firm dough is formed.

Form dough into a disk and roll out between 2 sheets of parchment to 1/8 inch thick.
Refrigerate for 1 hour until rolled dough is easily cut with cookie cutters.

Cut out cookies and transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 to 10 min. or until the bottom edge of cookie starts to brown in a 350 degree preheated oven .

Let cool.

Icing

1 cup powdered erythritol
2 Tablespoon not/Sugar
1/4 tsp. splenda quick pack
1 large egg white
3/4 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
food coloring...optional

Combine the dry ingredient in a small mixing bowl.
Whisk in the wet ingredients until icing is smooth and creamy.

Ice the chilled cookies.
Note: this icing hardens on the cookie and has no cooling effect.
I was pleased with the results.

QueenBacon 09-16-2007 09:47 AM

omg I saw this post and had to respond!
I might try to do something like this, but cut the flour in half and add some almond flour!

they look so amazing!

(drools Mmm)

Kevinpa 09-16-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurLuvsFromAbove (Post 9215510)
I might try to do something like this, but cut the flour in half and add some almond flour!

If you add more almond flour to my mix you will actually be adding carbs.

rexsreine 09-16-2007 10:29 AM

These look beautiful, Kevin! DH loves sugar cookies so I'll be trying these. Do they sort of (I hope, I hope, I hope) have a flavor and texture that makes them rather like vanilla wafers?

Ginny

Kevinpa 09-16-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 9215646)
These look beautiful, Kevin! DH loves sugar cookies so I'll be trying these. Do they sort of (I hope, I hope, I hope) have a flavor and texture that makes them rather like vanilla wafers?

Ginny

What I like about the texture of these that has been missing in other attempts is that sugar cookie snap. My other attempts have always been more on the crumbly side.

Barbo 09-16-2007 03:17 PM

Kevin's Sugar Cookies

:stars: What is Not Sugar? Can it be replaced with something else?

I have the Not Starch and use it all the time.

Thanks

barbo

P.S. Those cookies look good, do they taste anything like butter
cookies?

Kevinpa 09-16-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara A. Goldstein (Post 9216611)
:stars: What is Not Sugar? Can it be replaced with something else?

I have the Not Starch and use it all the time.

Thanks

barbo

P.S. Those cookies look good, do they taste anything like butter
cookies?

I use not/Sugar and not/Starch interchangeably whichever I have. They both have the same gums in their ingredients in almost the same proportions.

theislandgirl 09-16-2007 05:12 PM

In baking, they are interchangeable, the not/Starch and not/Sugar, I have found also. In liquids or as thickeners, they are a different texture.

If you have both, just rub some between your fingers and see, they've been treated in some way that changes the texture and the properties, but only in liquids (at least so far, for me).

Interesting stuff.

clyde 09-16-2007 05:17 PM

These look fantastic!! Has anybody figured out how many carbs per cookie - I hope it is really low so I can have five in one sitting. :D

Yummy's_Girl 09-16-2007 05:41 PM

I must try these!

Kevinpa 09-16-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 9217127)
These look fantastic!! Has anybody figured out how many carbs per cookie - I hope it is really low so I can have five in one sitting. :D

that would depend on the size of your cookie cutter. concidering I got 18 of various sizes, if I had made them all the same size as the heart I could have gotten 24 cookies. that would have made them under 1 carb each.

Barbo 09-16-2007 07:27 PM

Sugar Cut Out Cookies

Kevin you really are awesome. I look at the t hings that you have
experimented with and I am just amazed. Not only do they taste good,
but they are good looking. I have messed around with low cal, low fat,
low carb for many years, and I am in awe.

I just hope you keep your interest high. Almost think you could make
anything in the world low carb.

barbo :cool:

That Girl 09-28-2007 06:20 PM

kevin, just wondering, i noticed there is an egg white in the icing recipe..is it ok to eat raw egg like that? i am just curious about the potential for salmanella problems. any thoughts? do you think the egg white could be eliminated from the recipe? thanks..

Kevinpa 09-28-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 9276544)
kevin, just wondering, i noticed there is an egg white in the icing recipe..is it ok to eat raw egg like that? i am just curious about the potential for salmonella problems. any thoughts? do you think the egg white could be eliminated from the recipe? thanks..

this was converted from an old hc recipe for royal icing. the combination of lemon juice and egg white is what allow the icing to harden. If you are worried about raw eggs, use powdered egg white(which are pasteurized) or pasteurized eggs. the pasteurization of eggs eliminates the threat of salmonella.

retroworx 09-29-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 9276696)
If you are worried about raw eggs, use powdered egg white(which are pasteurized) or pasteurized eggs. the pasteurization of eggs eliminates the threat of salmonella.

Would Egg Beaters in replace of the egg white still allow things to harden properly, Kevin?

Susan

Kevinpa 09-29-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroworx (Post 9277373)
Would Egg Beaters in replace of the egg white still allow things to harden properly, Kevin?

Susan

I'm not sure Susan. I have never tried it, although I believe there are whites in egg beaters.

retroworx 09-29-2007 05:24 AM

Thanks, Kevin. Just to be sure, I guess I could try another liquid product next to the Egg Beaters at my grocer's called "Just Whites". . . I have more use for those than the powdered.

Susan

24Fan 09-29-2007 05:46 AM

Kevin, these sound really perfect for a Xmas cookie, thanks!.

Adding this recipe to The List. :)

KathryninAR 12-04-2007 12:10 PM

Kevin,
I just made these...THANK YOU!! I did have to add a little more flour mix, but otherwise made as written. They, as you put it, have that perfect "snap" of a sugar cookie. With these added to my arsenal I'm good to go this holiday season. Thank you so much for the experiments, but most of all for the time you take sharing them!

lildragonfly 12-04-2007 05:14 PM

Subs?

Is there subs for these

1 Tbsp. diabetisweet

I cant find those locally. Looked everywhere.

Plus I like a bit of a soft sugar cookie is there anything to do to make them a little softer?

KathryninAR 12-04-2007 05:38 PM

I don't know about subs. But to make it softer, don't roll them out as thin. Some of mine were thicker and therefore softer.

Kevinpa 12-04-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lildragonfly (Post 9588242)
Is there subs for these

1 Tbsp. diabetisweet

I cant find those locally. Looked everywhere.

Plus I like a bit of a soft sugar cookie is there anything to do to make them a little softer?

I agree with Kath that if you make them thicker that will make them softer.

As far as subs go I have never tried any other and can't think of any off hand that I think would work in this situation. You could always experiment with other sweetreners that you can get locally to see if they work.

tink81 12-04-2007 07:30 PM

i have guar gum and xanthan gum can I use one of these for not/sugar???

Kevinpa 12-04-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tink81 (Post 9588926)
i have guar gum and xanthan gum can I use one of these for not/sugar???

You can tink, but I dont know what the conversion between the two are. I personally have never had much luck with that sub but others tell me they have.

Soobee 12-06-2007 05:34 AM

If you do use guar or xantham, use less then the Not/Sugar. I would try 1/3 of the original amount of Not/Sugar when using xantham, and even less for the guar.

CreekWatcher 12-06-2007 11:32 AM

So, Kevin, I take it you have now found that an eight-to-one ration of Erythritol to Not-Sugar (or -Starch) will eliminate the cooling effect of the erythritol?

Kevinpa 12-06-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreekWatcher (Post 9597195)
So, Kevin, I take it you have now found that an eight-to-one ration of Erythritol to Not-Sugar (or -Starch) will eliminate the cooling effect of the erythritol?

Not exactly.:laugh:
This is one of those exceptions to the rule. The acid in the lemon juice is what allows us to use less in this situation.

CreekWatcher 12-06-2007 01:02 PM

Thanks, Kevin. That's the kind of baking/cooking pecularity that makes it interesting, and/or sometimes makes you want to go hang yourself.

sweetdreams 12-26-2008 02:05 PM

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.....

WOW! You have outdone yourself..... these are the BEST!!! I don't ever want another high-carb sugar cookie again. Wonderful flavor. I need to make more!

Thank you so much! :high5:

I just realized that I didn't use the recipe at the top of this post... but the one listed on your recipe page... using 1 cup Carbquik, 2 T Resistant Wheat Starch, etc.

I'm guessing the one from your recipe page is your most current??

Anyway... they are the BEST!

Kevinpa 12-26-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetdreams (Post 11310461)

I'm guessing the one from your recipe page is your most current??

Actually the one on my site is the oldest. I have been rather lacks at updating it since I was sick. I like them both but this one here , the cookie has a bit more of a snap where the one on my site is a little softer.