Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Apple Cheddar Chicken Scones (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/510125-apple-cheddar-chicken-scones.html)

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 12:46 PM

Apple Cheddar Chicken Scones

4 Attachment(s)
I have company coming over for dinner tonight and wanted to make something a little different than normal.
I am going to serve these scones topped with creamed chicken breast and a side of garden fresh steamed seasoned zucchini.

Apple Cheddar Chicken Scones

1 1/2 cups cake and cookie flour mix
1/4 cup chilled butter
1 teaspoon Baking powder
8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Cheddar
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup unswetened Apple Sauce

Preheat oven and iron skillet to 400F. In electric mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using paddle attachment, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Mix in cheese and chicken. Add apple sauce; mix just until moistened. On floured surface, form into 8-inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Transfer to iron skillet. Bake at 400F for 12 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into wedges. 8 to 12 servings.

CarolynF 08-10-2007 01:15 PM

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin..You are becoming a Sconiac!! I love them, too, but I'm waiting for my other goodies to be gone before I attempt the Scones..I will definitely use the baking mix as opposed to using all Carbquik..:)

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 9045210)
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin..You are becoming a Sconiac!! I love them, too, but I'm waiting for my other goodies to be gone before I attempt the Scones..I will definitely use the baking mix as opposed to using all Carbquik..:)

I really don't concider this a goodie. The entire meal will be under 10 carbs per person and I'm sure they will freeze well for future quick meals.

Yummy's_Girl 08-10-2007 02:14 PM

These look soooooo good!

Bfranke 08-10-2007 02:36 PM

Looks great! I have had a 'treat' filled week. First the Blackberry Pie, then the Zucchini Pie (2 pc of that left), then the PB cookies, then the Blueberry Scones (some of them left). It is tough being the only eater of these goodies, and my scale will show it!
So I will just have to wait till these are ALL gone, before I make anything else, but the 2 scone recipes today, are going on my 'to do' list.
Bette

nisha_mommy2one 08-10-2007 03:07 PM

Oh My That looks really good! :love:

StacyW 08-10-2007 03:10 PM

Thank you for yet another recipe that I will love trying out on the Family!

rosethorns 08-10-2007 04:12 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOKevin that looks superb. I will have to try this soon with your flour mix. Thank you so much for what you do. Another great recipe.

rexsreine 08-10-2007 04:44 PM

Kevin, this looks beautiful. I love the idea of a cheddar scone as a dinner or lunch bread. I'm guessing it would probably be okay to leave out the shredded chicken but not the applesauce as it is (probably) needed for moisture. Do you think light sour cream could be subbed for the applesauce? I don't usually have that around.
Thanks!

Ginny

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 9046060)
Kevin, this looks beautiful. I love the idea of a cheddar scone as a dinner or lunch bread. I'm guessing it would probably be okay to leave out the shredded chicken but not the applesauce as it is (probably) needed for moisture. Do you think light sour cream could be subbed for the applesauce? I don't usually have that around.
Thanks!

Ginny

Ginny, this is another recipe from out of my box. There is something special about the mix of apple and cheddar for me but you are right in that it is being used to bring moisture to the party. Sour cream should accomplish the same thing.

That Girl 08-10-2007 08:39 PM

ginny, could you let us know how this turned out w/out the chicken and applesauce? anybody know the carb count for the recipe? good job kevin, looks great! also kevin, what is creamed chicken? thanks

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 9047069)
ginny, could you let us know how this turned out w/out the chicken and applesauce? anybody know the carb count for the recipe? good job kevin, looks great! also kevin, what is creamed chicken? thanks

The way I made it Bella cutting 8 wedges were 4 carbs each.

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Girl (Post 9047069)
also kevin, what is creamed chicken? thanks

It was a take off on creamed chicken over toast. I took the rest of my cooked chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 cups) and shredded it into a sauce pan with a can of the 7 carb cream of chicken and mushroom soup and about 2/3 can of the chicken stock that I cooked the breast in, brought itto a boil and topped each toasted scone with that. Nobody had any left on their plates.:D

rexsreine 08-11-2007 08:46 AM

When finish some of our current goodies, I'm going to try the scones made with cheddar cheese and sour cream. I'll report. Thanks - AGAIN - Kevin, for your continued help.

Ginny

tinatina 08-24-2007 09:39 AM

Do you have to have an electric mixing bowl to make these?????

Kevinpa 08-24-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinatina (Post 9105174)
Do you have to have an electric mixing bowl to make these?????

I would guess you could do it without one but if you do try miixing it by hand a strong arm would help.

If i did it by hand I would use my hands to mix the dough ad not try with a spoon.

jackieba 08-24-2007 11:03 AM

I don't believe I've ever had scones of any type. I'll have to try this. Thanks.

lisabinil 08-24-2007 11:24 AM

Oh yum a cheddar scone with a bowl of lc chili when it starts to get cold! :up:

gettinserious 08-24-2007 11:33 AM

Geez, this one made my mouth instantly water! Just about gettin worse then my DD!

tinatina 08-24-2007 01:23 PM

Kevinpa - Thanks for the quick response. I'm not much of a cook. But these looked and sounded so good, I wouldn't mind trying them.