Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Scones (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/510023-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-pecan-scones.html)

Kevinpa 08-09-2007 11:52 PM

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Scones

3 Attachment(s)
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Scones :cool:
8 servings 5.7 carbs
12 servings 3.8 carbs
16 servings 2.9 carbs

2 1/2 cups cake and cookie flour mix
1/2 cup peanut butter powder
1 tsp splenda quick pack
1 T. Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Butter, chilled
1/4 cup dairy or almond breeze
1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses
3 Egg
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 cup Pecans, chopped
1/2 cup SF Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven and seasoned iron skillet to 375F.
In a large electric mixing bowl, stir together the flour, peanut butter powder, splenda, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into 1/2-inch cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture and cut it in with the paddle attachment.
Add dairy, vanilla, and molasses to combine.
Add and combine eggs, 1 at a time.
Add pecans and chocolate chip until just combined.
Turn out onto floured surface and form into a round appox 1 1/2 inch thick.
Tranfer to preheated iron skillet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle of scone.

Cool on wire rack, cut into wedges and enjoy!

I thought 12 serving was the right size but had already cut mine into 8.:doh:

Yummy's_Girl 08-10-2007 12:03 AM

yummy

rosethorns 08-10-2007 06:23 AM

That looks so yummy Kevin like my blueberry one. I may have to try this.

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 9042277)
That looks so yummy Kevin like my blueberry one. I may have to try this.

Thank you Rose. I have to admit these turned out to be a spot on scone texture. Perfect for an egg and scone on the go breakfast. They have a very nice protein count too because of the flour mix.

Tweaker Geek 08-10-2007 11:21 AM

Oh no Kevin! I just made the blueberry one and now this!? What to do - I guess I may have to freeze some of the blueberry just so I can try this too - why do you do this to me?:laugh:

rexsreine 08-10-2007 06:00 PM

Dang, I don't have any PB powder and don't want to order any. DH loves PB so his kids recently gave him about a gazillion jars of a gourmet brand as a gift. Kevin, got any ideas about working in regular PB in this? These look fantastic and I wouldn't to mess up that great texture.
Thanks!

Ginny

Bfranke 08-10-2007 06:06 PM

Ginny, I am taking a stab at this. I might just sub the PB for the butter, but you will probably need a bit more 'flour', maybe a 1/4 c more.
At least that is how I would tweak it!
HTH, Bette

rexsreine 08-10-2007 06:35 PM

Thanks, Bette. You are a reliable baker and a darned good tweaker, so I'll give your ideas a try. But, first, we have to eat the somewhat LC sour cherry pie I just made DH today...

Ginny

Tater Head 08-10-2007 06:58 PM

Ginny I would just replace the butter with PB

AdeCafe 08-10-2007 07:26 PM

Where does anyone get GOOD SF chocolate chips.????

thanks

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdeCafe (Post 9046608)
Where does anyone get GOOD SF chocolate chips.????

thanks

I have been hording sf chocolate chips since mini-carb discontinued making their wonderful chips. between those and EWBW chips I think I have maybe 50 bags left vacumm sealed in my freezer

Kevinpa 08-10-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 9046133)
Dang, I don't have any PB powder and don't want to order any. DH loves PB so his kids recently gave him about a gazillion jars of a gourmet brand as a gift. Kevin, got any ideas about working in regular PB in this? These look fantastic and I wouldn't to mess up that great texture.
Thanks!

Ginny

Ginny, this is a recipe I got out of my box. Replace 1/2 to 3/4 of the butter with the like amount of creamy PB and that will do it.

rexsreine 08-11-2007 09:51 AM

TaterHead and Kevin, thanks for your suggestions. Another goodie added to my short list of things to make...we just can't eat all I'd like to make!

Ginny

jackieba 08-30-2007 04:02 PM

If anyone tries using reg peanut butter, I'd like to know how it turns out.

This ques is for any LC scone recipe--do they reheat okay? How about freezing?
I freeze all my LC bread but for biscuits, I find they are good right out of the oven but not good reheated the next day. There's only two of us so I have to be able to freeze/reheat most stuff.

jjcanada 10-11-2007 06:33 PM

Are there any alternatives to using the iron skillet??
I don't have one but I would love to try this recipe!

TIA.

Kevinpa 10-11-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcanada (Post 9342509)
Are there any alternatives to using the iron skillet??
I don't have one but I would love to try this recipe!

TIA.

They will turn out just as well on a cookie sheet Jolie. That is what my original HC recipe said to use.

stephdray 01-24-2008 02:03 PM

Kevin, my husband fears scones. He says they sound fancy. I want to show him how wonderful a scone is, and I was going to try to use this recipe, but with my remaining chocolate chips being as precious as they are, I was wondering if you have a basic scone recipe. I see someone above mentioned a blueberry version but I can't find it!

I'm in desperate need of a scone to go with my tea. Can you help?

fourstubbs 03-06-2011 12:10 AM

bump for yummy goodness...lol