Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I thought I'd share a story that happened this morning with you guys.

One of the things that I miss about hc bread and has eluded me to this point is a really nice crust. I have tried several HC tricks but none seem to do the trick.

Anyway LSS today I was baking bread with the above recipe and in the last 5 minutes of baking I sprayed a small amount of a ns spray called Baker's Joy(which is made with soybean oil) in a bowl and brushed the top of the bread twice.
I saw no noticable difference while it was cooling but when it had cooled completely I thought wow that crust looks nice so I cut it.
While I was doing that a neighbor (who knows nothing about lc) knocked at my door collecting and commented on the nice smell of homemade bread and the fact that not many do that anymore. So i offered him a piece without explaination.

His comment: wow, now thats a great italian bread!

I said thank you and smiled
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Great tip Kevin. I have some Baker's Joy so I shall try that the next time I bake bread.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
That's seriously good bread, Kevin. (I just this minute cut my first slice.) Do you find that this mix rises better? My batch of bread did, and in fact I think I let it rise a little too much, but it rose like that in just one hour on the counter and a short hour in an oven with a pan of hot water.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #154
Blabbermouth!!!

yes, I think you are right it did for me but I hesitated in saying it because people always say theirs doesn't rise like mine. I have let it go 30 to 60 minutes and the bubble pattern changes some between the two so my rule of thumb is let it rise to the top of the pan and it will continue as it bakes.

I'm glad you liked it.....it is by far my favorite of any of my breads to date.

<------- BTW this is my little baker's apprentice. she was wearing my favorite baking cap while watching me make bread

Last edited by Kevinpa; 06-08-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

LC yeast bread with real oven rise! This really is going to be interesting!

On my first loaf it turned out that a tunnel about the diameter of a silver dollar suddenly appeared near the bottom after the first few slices were cut, which extends to near the other end of the loaf. I could make pepperoni bread out of the bottom third of the loaf if I wanted to.

I want to try your Baker's Joy tip; then, going in the other direction, am thinking maybe this recipe would make great hot dog/ hamburger rolls if buttermilk (or Hood) and additional fat (maybe butter) were used to make it softer.

My head could REALLY use a cap (it needs covering up), but it probably looks a lot better on your helper than it would on either of us
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
On my first loaf it turned out that a tunnel about the diameter of a silver dollar suddenly appeared near the bottom after the first few slices were cut, which extends to near the other end of the loaf. I could make pepperoni bread out of the bottom third of the loaf if I wanted to.

So are you saying it had an air pocket in it creek? If so back off some on the knead time.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

I'll try that. Actually I kneaded it less than usual, after giving it (my usual) extended autolyse time of a couple of days between the mixing and the kneading; it seemed to require less kneading than your pita recipe. At any rate the tunnel doesn't bother me, it was just amusing that it formed on the bottom instead of on the top...in this respect lc bread is less delicate than hc bread, in that you can over-rise the hell out of it and it doesn't actually collapse.

Hey someone else who has resistant corn starch try this! If you don't have it, consider getting it.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Kevin I can't wait to try this. I will have to wait til I get back home though, where I have the ingredients. Right now I am in Texas waiting on my very own baker's apprentice.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #159
Blabbermouth!!!

Shadow, if i knew grandbabies were such a joy I would many before this.....
Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I thought I'd share a story that happened this morning with you guys.

One of the things that I miss about hc bread and has eluded me to this point is a really nice crust. I have tried several HC tricks but none seem to do the trick.

Anyway LSS today I was baking bread with the above recipe and in the last 5 minutes of baking I sprayed a small amount of a ns spray called Baker's Joy(which is made with soybean oil) in a bowl and brushed the top of the bread twice.
I saw no noticable difference while it was cooling but when it had cooled completely I thought wow that crust looks nice so I cut it.
While I was doing that a neighbor (who knows nothing about lc) knocked at my door collecting and commented on the nice smell of homemade bread and the fact that not many do that anymore. So i offered him a piece without explaination.

His comment: wow, now thats a great italian bread!

I said thank you and smiled
Kevin, I was curious, is this different from usual use of Baker's Joy (I had been unfamiliar with the product until googling it just now) simply your idea, or have other people used it for the same purpose? Do you think it has something to do with flour being in the oil?

And have you found it at any regular stores? Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Shadow, if i knew grandbabies were such a joy I would many before this.....
I can see she is the joy of your life. Your pics of her are beautiful.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Kevin, I was curious, is this different from usual use of Baker's Joy (I had been unfamiliar with the product until googling it just now) simply your idea, or have other people used it for the same purpose? Do you think it has something to do with flour being in the oil?

And have you found it at any regular stores? Thanks
This is my choice of non stick spray and has been for years. Around here you can buy it in any grocery store you go to. I am sure the flour in it contributes to why i like it but there is not enough flour in it to make any carb difference.

I do know that when I heve tried the same thing with butter, EVOO, or canola the results are not the same.....although i never tried a different kind of non stick spray because this is the only brand of it i use.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is my choice of non stick spray and has been for years. Around here you can buy it in any grocery store you go to. I am sure the flour in it contributes to why i like it but there is not enough flour in it to make any carb difference.

I do know that when I heve tried the same thing with butter, EVOO, or canola the results are not the same.....although i never tried a different kind of non stick spray because this is the only brand of it i use.
Thanks Kevin; I just made a "soft" mix, with added buttermilk powder and three tablespoons of butter, and let it set to "mature." With the next mix I'll go back to the original recipe and give it the Baker's Joy treatment at the end of baking.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

I made the buttermilk-and-higher-fat version; but for this off-recipe experiment I may have made several procedural mistakes, and it came out like a gigantic loaf shaped popover! Will try that "softer" version experiment again in a more intelligent fashion, but meanwhile made the original recipe again...let it rise too high (let it get away from me), and the loaf partially retracted while cooling, but is still quite light enough in texture and delicious. Couldn't find Baker's Joy in Maine, forgot to look during one trip to store back home, will look again. I want to make the crusty version, but meanwhile I have another good loaf of bread to eat. Everyone take pity on those folks who are eating grocery store low carb loaf bread, keep them in your prayers.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 06-22-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #165
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I made the buttermilk-and-higher-fat version; but for this off-recipe experiment I may have made several procedural mistakes, and it came out like a gigantic loaf shaped popover! Will try that "softer" version experiment again in a more intelligent fashion, but meanwhile made the original recipe again...let it rise too high (let it get away from me), and the loaf partially retracted while cooling, but is still quite light enough in texture and delicious.
Creek, the more I work with this mix the more I see how different it is from the other mix.

This recipe unlike some of my others is not one to walk away from. By that I mean it rises much quicker and higher than the others. It's kind of like you have to take control of it.....lol. If you let it go much past the 30 min rise it very well could fall since the yeasties were given too much time to burp.

I experimented with a shorter knead (only 10 min) and it added a bit more control, enough that I am making it a perminent part of my proccess. Just remember when it rises even to the top of the pan it is ready to go in the oven to bake.

this was the results right after coming out of the oven and 30 minutes cooled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00010a.jpg (62.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00011a.jpg (69.2 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Kevinpa; 06-26-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

"Creek, the more I work with this mix the more I see how different it is from the other mix...This recipe unlike some of my others is not one to walk away from."

...You've got all that right...with my super-long autolyse (rest) period (which partially "pre-kneads" the dough), it takes me 7 minutes with the Kitchen-Aid to get the same feel/texture in the dough as what seemed to be ideal with your Pita dough recipe. It's a result that I'm attached to, and am reluctant to stop short of, but I guess I'll try kneading less than 7 minutes to see what happens. I look forward to getting my first "successful" result with this mix (although in truth every go but one so far has had a wonderfull result). I've got 5 pounds of hi-maize corn starch coming from Honeyville Grains for reinforcement; finally got the Baker's Joy (and incidentally I think that this recipe, with the Baker's Joy treatment, may have really great flatbread/Foccacia possibilities).

Kevin, don't laugh, but I'm thinking half-seriously about undertaking your puff pastry [or maybe a less elaborate, "rough pastry" version] recipe. By chance, have you done it yet with this bake mix? Thanks!

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 06-26-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Kevin, don't laugh, but I'm thinking half-seriously about undertaking your puff pastry [or maybe a less elaborate, "rough pastry" version] recipe. By chance, have you done it yet with this bake mix? Thanks!
No I have not but I am satified that I have mastered this recipe to the point of getting very consistant results and moving on to other applications.

My very next try will be pizza dough....I believe this has great possibilities for making pizza dough.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No I have not but I am satified that I have mastered this recipe to the point of getting very consistant results and moving on to other applications.

My very next try will be pizza dough....I believe this has great possibilities for making pizza dough.

That's what I was thinking, (pizza) but I'll let you try it first! Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

1st try had a great taste but I got impatient and didn't let the dough rise enough so I didn't get the crust I was looking for but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When I get it completely right I will post proceedure.

btw, what you see here is 2.5 carbs a slice for crust and toppings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00015a.jpg (89.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00016a.jpg (67.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00017a.jpg (68.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

-
Quote:
1st try had a great taste but I got impatient "nd didn't let the dough rise enough so I didn't get the crust I was looking for but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When I get it completely right I will post proceedure.

btw, what you see here is 2.5 carbs a slice for crust and toppings.
Kevin, I tried pizza too and the crust looked about like yours; it was not puffy, nor crispy. (I rolled a few ounces of dough into a 9-10" pizza.) Does the dough need to double before being rolled down in order for the different "puffs" of pizza and pita to fully occur?

I'm going to research possibel methods/aids to judging the size of free form pieces of dough--I'm learning-disability bad at that, and it looks like it's going to be really important with this recipe.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #171
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
-

Kevin, I tried pizza too and the crust looked about like yours; it was not puffy, nor crispy. (I rolled a few ounces of dough into a 9-10" pizza.) Does the dough need to double before being rolled down in order for the different "puffs" of pizza and pita to fully occur?

I'm going to research possibel methods/aids to judging the size of free form pieces of dough--I'm learning-disability bad at that, and it looks like it's going to be really important with this recipe.
Yes. Like I said I got impatient and tried it before letting it rise. Next time I try it will be letting it double then stretch it out( i dont roll mine out....i pretty much hand toss it). I also plan a slow cold rise to see how that works.

oh yea....with a pizza stone....mine was nice and crisp.

Bottom line was I liked the taste.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 07-01-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/08
Kevin, is that the SAF instant yeast you're using for your bread? I think my Whole Foods has it and I'm going to swing by there today (I only have RapidRise in my pantry).

Also, I'm going to be making the hamburger buns using your old carbquick LC flour blend since I haven't gotten around to ordering the Hi-Maize stuff yet. Are you using your new and final blend for your hamburger/hotdog buns?
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes. Like I said I got impatient and tried it before letting it rise. Next time I try it will be letting it double then stretch it out( i dont roll mine out....i pretty much hand toss it). I also plan a slow cold rise to see how that works.

oh yea....with a pizza stone....mine was nice and crisp.

Bottom line was I liked the taste.
I used regular bricks, with a long pre-heat--but there was parchment paper between the dough and the bricks, so no doubt it was not the effect it should have been on that account--but I liked the taste too.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill72 View Post
Kevin, is that the SAF instant yeast you're using for your bread? I think my Whole Foods has it and I'm going to swing by there today (I only have RapidRise in my pantry).

Also, I'm going to be making the hamburger buns using your old carbquick LC flour blend since I haven't gotten around to ordering the Hi-Maize stuff yet. Are you using your new and final blend for your hamburger/hotdog buns?
Yes Jill SAF is the brand I use but i have and do use the rapidrise for compare purposes also. What I find is the instant yeast give you a little bit more control.

As far as the flour mix goes I am using it as my only bread flour (basically any yeast application). I will use it for other flour uses also until I find one that I don't feel it works for....but so far that has not happened.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
Start Date: 10/31/08
Thanks, Kevin. I remembered your comment on the hamburger buns using the carbquick LC flour blend having a softer crust than the buns with the carbalose blend. I already have everything for the carbquick blend, so I'll try that first and then switch to the new, improved and final flour blend using the Hi-Maize.
jill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Kevin, since your instructions are to let the dough rise just to the top of the pan before baking (and my pan is not just the same size as yours), I was wondering--is what you're doing an aproximate doubling of the dough?

Also, I wonder if the fact that you use a glass pan could have a bearing on the fact that you get a substantial over rise (my pan is metal). Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Could someone post where Kevin's final flour blend recipe is. Thank you.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
It's on this thread, Post 135.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kevin, since your instructions are to let the dough rise just to the top of the pan before baking (and my pan is not just the same size as yours), I was wondering--is what you're doing an aproximate doubling of the dough?

Also, I wonder if the fact that you use a glass pan could have a bearing on the fact that you get a substantial over rise (my pan is metal). Thanks

I meant to say "oven" rise!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I meant to say "oven" rise!
I am going to say not quite doubled.

I will be making a loaf sometime this week and will try a metal pan to see what difference that make since I have never tried it before.