Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #61
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I emailed Expert Foods and they said:
"ThickenThin not/Sugar thickener will continue to be available, as will not/Starch thickener".
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
Kevin, do you use SlimSweet from packets or the 2.82 oz bottle? Is there a difference between SlimSweet packets and bottle as there is between Splenda in packets and bulk Splenda

Also, would vital wheat gluten work in place of WPI 8000 in your flour mix.

Many thanks!
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #63

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda120 View Post
Kevin, do you use SlimSweet from packets or the 2.82 oz bottle? Is there a difference between SlimSweet packets and bottle as there is between Splenda in packets and bulk Splenda

Also, would vital wheat gluten work in place of WPI 8000 in your flour mix.

Many thanks!
I actually buy slimsweet in 16 oz bottles and have never used the packets so I really don't know if its the same. From reading the description my educated guess is it is the same but you will get less and pay more because it is individually wrapped.

VWG will sub for the wheat protein isolate 8000 but will be a few total carbs more for the mix. Not many though to be extremely worried about.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda120 View Post
.......Also, would vital wheat gluten work in place of WPI 8000 in your flour mix..........
[COLOR=Red]Panda, I use Vital Wheat Gluten in place of WPI 8000 all the time. I have a very large supply of the VWG, so I'll use it till I use it up, then switch to the WPI 8000. As Kevin said it does add a few more carbs. And is a little lower in protein, I believe. But the difference varies with the brand of VWG. Mine is very close to the 8000 thankfully.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
Thanks, crazy... I'll probably use up my vital wheat gluten and then switch, too. I have so many recipes I want to try I don't know where to start!!!
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
for the chocolate chip cookies I dont' have granular eythritol or countdown milk. Can I substitute something else for these ingredients?
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
for the chocolate chip cookies I dont' have granular eythritol or countdown milk. Can I substitute something else for these ingredients?
Which recipe are you talking about?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #68

Gallery: Determinedtolose
I found it! It's the cookie recipe that is close to the Toll House recipe, but this doesn't take isomalt or the other ingredient.
This is good and the one I'm going to use.

Thanks anyway Kevin!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Kevin, I just had to pop in here and let you know that a while back I whipped up a batch of your excellent Mix, minus the Almond (nut allergies in the family, yada yada... ...oh, I had increased the other flour-y ingredients by a tiny bit each to make up for the volume lost) and put it in a jar and on the shelf to play with later. Much later as it turns out!

Then this morning, I just had to have something fast or I was going to do myself an injury -- I had let myself get too hungry. So I grabbed the jar of Kevin's Special Mix (No Almonds), 1 of my few remaining eggs, some oil (MCT in this case), some nutmeg and cinnamon and of course some Vanilla sugarfree syrup.

1 Fork, 1 Tablespoon, 2 Bowls and a Small Silicon Miniloaf pan later (microwave safe), I had one of the best textured 1 Minute Bowl/Muffin Thingies I've ever had...scarfed while warm of course!

Natch, I had to try a chocolate version, so I switched 1 T of the mix for 1/2 T each of natural and Dark Dutched cocoa, 1/2 of the sugarfree Vanilla syrup for Chocolate, and back into the nuker. This batch I sliced into small test size pieces, and tested with butter (of course), cream cheese and peanut butter. All fab.

Thanks for the quick breakfast, and this is a great mix. Hands down. Of course, you already knew that!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 AM   #70

Thank you Jude. Believe it or not I have wrestled with the nut flour issue the entire time I was developing this mix. Both from the point of nut allergies and also the point of interaction with yeast applications.
It really is a tradeoff when not looking at the nut allergies issue.
Allergies are what that are and give us no choice. But from a completely functional point of view, no nut flour will give you a slightly better rise in yeast applications but you will loose overall taste at the same time.

Anyway thank you for reminding me to post this [COLOR="DarkRed"]tested[/COLOR] nut allergies version of this mix, which I had meant to do before but forgot.

9 T carbquick or carbalose
4 T + 2 tsp wheat protein isolate 5000
1 T + 1/2 tsp wheat protein isolate 8000
1 T + 1/2 tsp resistant wheat starch
1 tsp not/sugar
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 AM   #71

Thank you Jude. Believe it or not I have wrestled with the nut flour issue the entire time I was developing this mix. Both from the point of nut allergies and also the point of interaction with yeast applications.
Allergies are what that are and give us no choice. But from a completely functional point of view, no nut flour will give you a slightly better rise in yeast applications but you will loose overall taste at the same time.

Anyway thank you for reminding me to post this [COLOR="DarkRed"]tested[/COLOR] nut allergies version of this mix, which I had meant to do before but forgot.

1 tsp not/sugar
Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #72

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I have been using Golden Organic Flaxmeal instead of the almond flour with good results in my lc rolls & breads.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I have been using Golden Organic Flaxmeal instead of the almond flour with good results in my lc rolls & breads.
I know there are many people that swear by flaxmeal, golden or otherwise, but my reaction to it is intense dislike(taste and texture). I tossed all I had in my pantry and don't intend to use it again.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post

1 tsp not/sugar
Hey, how cool is that? There is "my" version precisely!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
KEEPER!
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erichb1
Kevins:

I know this is probably a strange request, but could you somehow provide a replacement for Carbquick/Carbulose in your flour mix?

I have a condition that requires me to maintain a very strict low salt diet, ie less than 300mg/day, and the Carbquick/Carbulose mixes have a ton of salt in them. I assume it comes from the baking soda and baking powder, but there are sodium free versions of that, but of course Carbquick/Carbulose will never be made with them.

So, do you think with your extensive knowledge you could come up with a replacement or maybe breakdown Carbquick/Carbulose ingredients into their respective proportions? I bet Carbquick/Carbulose mix uses a lot of what you already use, like the isolates and maybe gums, etc.

I would then be able to just substitute the items that are high in sodium for ones that have none and I could enjoy your creations.

Thanks very much in advance if you are able to help.

Erich
erichb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #77

I am sorry Erich but an undertaking like that without a fairly precise formula for Carbalose/Carbquik is nothing more than a shot in the dark and could take literally years and an unlimited amount of ingredient to just happen upon. I will be the first to admit that what you are asking is well beyond knowledge and not something that I feel I could accomplish.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Ok, well thanks for the reply and thanks for making same great recipes.

I will just try and substitute some things for it.

From your knowledge, could you list some things I might try for substitutions?

Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #79

Erich, after giving this some thought the only advice I can give you is that you will have to base a mix on some wheat flour. My suggestion would be KA white whole wheat flour. Two tablespoons would be approx 8 carbs. You would then need some combination of wheat protein isolate 5000, wheat protein isolate 8000, resistant wheat starch, and not/Sugar equaling 14 tablespoons and approx 4 carbs to make a cup of mix. My pita bread recipe would most likely be the best guess to try this mix with. Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you decide to try.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for the help and advice Kevin.

I will try it out as soon as I get the WPI 5000 from Netrition.

Everyone here probably knows this, but in case they don't, a great place to get the WPIs and RS and other baking items at great prices usually is Wholesale Ingredients to the Food Service Industry, Honeyville Food Products. Premium Corn, Flour, Whole Grains, Sugar and more..

Thanks again so much and I will share what I find out.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pamk
WOE: Atkins, Shut my mouth
Start Date: Too many times to mention
Carbquick vs. Carbalose

Kevin-you may have answered this somewhere else before, but when/how do you decide which mix to use for which recipe?
pamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Kevin-you may have answered this somewhere else before, but when/how do you decide which mix to use for which recipe?
Pam, I have been asked this question a couple of time and I guess I have limped around an answer for the simple reason that I am not sure how to answer it. When I first started using these mixes, for the most part I tried each application with both mixes and then decided which I like the best and thought was the closest to its HC counterpart. In many cases the outcome was so close that the obvious choice was the lower carb version. Now my choice is based on experience with different basic recipes and how I thought they turned out. For the most part, basic yeast bread I choose the carbalose version but for sweet bread I like texture of carbquik version better. The one thing I have found is not to try base my decision on what is in the carbquik that is not in the carbalose. Everytime I try to guess if one will rise better than the other or will be flakier or lighter I get fooled.

I am sorry if thats not much help, but it is the best way I know to explain it.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kevin, this helps. Ill follow your advice
Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

A Kevin Wish List???

Kevin-Any plans in the near future to update your previous recipes to using the mix?

Another wish of mine... if I may be so bold, would be a thread or catagory of your recipes by this flour mix. Any thoughts on that?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LDallas
Kevin, thank you for the Flour recipe! It's truly savin' my hide with this WOE.
Thank you also for the other recipes, and the time, effort, and money you spend experimenting for us!!!
LDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greenbean
Kevin-

I could have sworn I saw this made with carbalose instead of carbquick and now I cannot find it. Are you using carbolose in your baking mix at all?

TIA
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
Kevin-

I could have sworn I saw this made with carbalose instead of carbquick and now I cannot find it. Are you using carbolose in your baking mix at all?

TIA
Yes I use them both. The carbalose and carbquik are interchangable.

The carbalose mix is 12 carbs per cup and the carbquik mix is 9 carbs per cup. In 99% of my recipes I state which version I am using.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greenbean
You are the best! Thank you so much!
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Yes Deb, I use it just like an all purpose flour. It has work great for everything other than yeast application so far. It makes good rolls but I can't get a good enough rise out of it for bread and buns.I suspect it is the carbquik dragging it down in that area, but....I'm still working on that
Could someone tell me...is Carbquik heavier than Carbalose...or are they about the same as far as weight?
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #90

I would weight it for you Shirl, but when I went to compare the two I discovered my scale was not working and needs a new battery.