Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Amazing Oven Buffalo Wings (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/508745-amazing-oven-buffalo-wings.html)

Kevinpa 08-03-2007 09:26 AM

Amazing Oven Buffalo Wings

Amazing Oven Buffalo Wings

1 lb. chicken wings, tip removed, skins on (approx 15)
32 oz. chicken stock
1 T. cayenne pepper
2 t. red pepper flakes
1 t. sea salt

1/2 to 3/4 cup Franks Redhot Sauce(or whatever kind you use)
2 T. butter

In a large sauce pan combine the first 5 ingredients.
Bring to mixture to a boil and let boil for 15 minutes.
Drain the stock retaining as much of the pepper flakes as you can.(you don't want to loose any of the heat)
Then tranfer wings to a coated broiler pan and broil on high for 15 minutes on each side.
While wings are broiling, mix hot sauce and butter and microwave until butter is melted. Set aside.
When wings are done and cooled slightly, combine with the hot sauce and butter mixture in a ziplock or foodsaver bag and seal.
Marinate the wing in the sauce for 1 to 5 hours. The longer you marinate them the more heat you will have.
When done marinating, return the wing to the broiler pan and broil both sides to heat through basting with the excess hot sauce.
Serve with your favorite blue cheese dressing, celery, and the leftover hot sauce.

You gonna like these!! :cool: And carbs so small you need a microscope. :eek::laugh:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../DSC00038a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../DSC00039a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../DSC00041a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../DSC00047a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../DSC00049a.jpg

magnamater 08-03-2007 09:31 AM

Do you used the drained stock for spicey egg drop soup???? little scallion, eggs, dash of sesame oil. . .

LOVE wings, but may go with tenders. . .what do you think?

Kevinpa 08-03-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 9008783)
Do you used the drained stock for spicey egg drop soup???? little scallion, eggs, dash of sesame oil. . .

LOVE wings, but may go with tenders. . .what do you think?

If I have home made stock I use that or if not just one of those 32 oz cartons. I don't do tenders because I like the skins on for this kind of chicken. Breast always seem to dry for me.

jezzie 08-03-2007 09:51 AM

I'm not sure I understand.
Is the 32 ounces just for the boiling the fifteen wings?
If so it seems like such a waste.

Kevinpa 08-03-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jezzie (Post 9008934)
I'm not sure I understand.
Is the 32 ounces just for the boiling the fifteen wings?
If so it seems like such a waste.

Use water then. The flavor it give the wings is worth the extra $1 to me.

nikkic 08-03-2007 10:39 AM

Kevin, you have me running to the store almost every day to get ingredients to make what you make, lol. This sounds so yummy and looks so good.

Magnamater, did you mean that you would take the drained stock and use it to make some spicey egg drop soup with it? That would be a good way to use it up, but with all that cayenne in there, I don't think I could eat it. It would be too spicey for me anyway.

Nigel 08-03-2007 11:30 AM

I'm thinking the leftover stock would make a good marinade for another chicken dish. The wings look great!

Tweaker Geek 08-03-2007 02:16 PM

Mmmmmmmmm - love wings!:cool:

nisha_mommy2one 08-05-2007 07:54 AM

Those looks really yummy! I went grocery shopping to get me some wings and now following your receipe to make them....cant wait till dinner to have a few. :D Is there anyway I can use carbquick to make them more crispy?

nisha_mommy2one 08-05-2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 9009598)
I'm thinking the leftover stock would make a good marinade for another chicken dish. The wings look great!

Thats what I did...There was so much left over after boiling 24 wings that I just stored it in the freezer and will use it for the next batch of wings I make;)

nikkic 08-05-2007 10:43 AM

nisha, when I use to make a copy cat version of Hooter's buffalo wings, I'd use flour with seasonings and fry the wings in hot oil. Then put them in a bowl with hot sauce and butter and shake them up. If you wanted to use carbquick to make them crispier, I'd wait till after they marinated, then flour them and cook them in oil to make them the most crispy. If you broiled them, you'd want to turn them over 1/2 way through.

Kevinpa 08-05-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nisha_mommy2one (Post 9016402)
Those looks really yummy! I went grocery shopping to get me some wings and now following your receipe to make them....cant wait till dinner to have a few. :D Is there anyway I can use carbquick to make them more crispy?

Actually an additional 5 minute per side will make these quite crispy without the carbquik. either way though I'm sure they will taste great.:cool:

twinkerbell 08-11-2007 02:19 PM

:hiya:KevinPA
I made these last night and OMG they were awesome! The only thing I did not do was marinate them...I was too hungry! They were so nice and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside I was just raving about them! I never like the resturaunt wings I get b/c they are too "soft"...I will never order wings again now that I can make em the way I like em! Thanks so much!!!:shake:

24Fan 08-12-2007 06:22 AM

Kevin, these sound tasty, moist and crispy! I'm going to get some wings today to try this out, since I have chicken stock in stock :hyst:

I heart buffalo wings but end up overcooking in the oven usually.

Thanks for another wonderful recipe with pics!

Tweaker Geek 08-12-2007 10:52 AM

Let us know how they come out 24!:D

24Fan 08-12-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 9050979)
Let us know how they come out 24!:D

Ok, Tweaker, but it'll be tomorrow! I didn't get to the grocery store to buy the wings grrr :)

SNuGGiE 08-12-2007 06:31 PM

since we on the subject of buffalo wings I found a good buffalo sauce at the dollar store that had no sugar, all good normal ingredients. Check it out next time your at dollar tree. I marinate chicken breasts and then bake to make my buffalo 'wings.'

24Fan 08-14-2007 09:52 AM

Ok, made them today and YUMMY! These are the best wings I've ever made. They were moist, spicey, flavorful and crispy!

Another perfect recipe, Kevin. Thank you!!

replay 08-19-2007 05:55 AM

Fabulous recipe!

First, I brought the broth and spices to a boil and boiled it for about 10 minutes first so that the spices had a chance to permeate the broth, then I added the wings and brought it back to a boil. I let it sit for longer than 15 minutes....because I forgot.....it was probably more like 30 minutes.

I used a family pack of wings, so I ended up needing to add a little water to have them all covered in liquid. I also used a covered pot to boil them in.

To those that want to use water instead of broth: Use the wing tips in your water to make chicken broth. Boil the wing tips alone in the plain water for an hour or two.

Also, if you use a covered pot to boil the wings in, you can use just enough broth to cover them. So depending on how many wings you prepare you can use less broth.

Next time I bake a chicken, I may boil it for 15 minutes first, lol. I was amazed at how crispy the skin on the wings became.

Thanks for the recipe Kevin. :up:

replay 08-19-2007 06:04 AM

How could we make the flavor different? I have never tasted the infamous Tequila Lime wings from Tyson, but I bet this recipe could be modified to make various flavored wings.

I found these recipes, but the trick will be to incorporated the boiling step, which is why the skins get crispy so easily.

Any ideas? I am thing some of the lemon/lime juice and spices could be added to the chicken broth.

Recipe - Tequila-Marinated Hot Chicken Wings

Tequila-Marinated Hot Chicken Wings
(makes 42 to 44 pieces)

3 pounds (1.4 kg) chicken wings, about 21 to 22 wings, separated at the joints, wing tips discarded
1/2 cup (120 ml) tequila
1/2 cup (32 g) chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh orange juice
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) cracked fresh pepper
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 ml) Tabasco sauce, or to taste
1 teaspoon (5 ml) grated orange zest
1 teaspoon (5 ml) grated lime zest
2 long strips orange zest, curled into spirals for garnish
2 fresh limes, cut into wedges for garnish
fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish

Rinse chicken wings and pat dry with paper towels. Lay in a single layer in a large glass baking dish.

In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients except orange zest spirals, lime wedges, and cilantro sprigs for garnish. Pour mixture over the chicken wings.

Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken wings several times.
Preheat oven to 350F (180C), Gas Mark 4.

Remove chicken wings from marinade and arrange in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake chicken wings for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour marinade into a saucepan, place on the stove and bring to a full boil; reduce by half, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
Remove the wings from the oven and preheat the broiler.

Brush the wings with the reduced marinade and broil, 4 to 6 inches from source of heat, until wings are crisp and brown, turning wings 2 or 3 times and brushing with marinade. (Wings may be made ahead to this point and wrapped in aluminum foil. Rewarm in a 300F ( C) oven, opening the foil packet to uncover the wings.)

To serve, arrange the wings on a heated serving platter. Garnish with spirals of orange zest, lime wedges, and cilantro sprigs. Serve warm.

Astray Recipes: Tequila chicken wings

Tequila chicken wings

4 pounds Chicken wings
cup Tequila
cup Lemon or lime juice
4 tablespoon Chili powder
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
tablespoon Fresh ground pepper
1 cup Cooking oil.

Combine all ingredients together and add wings. Refrigerate overnight. Cook on the grill for about 15-20 minutes, basting occasionally. Serve with your favorite salsa or cheese dip. This recipe will impress any chicken wing lover!!!!

nikkic 08-19-2007 07:24 AM

I made Kevin's recipe last night using chicken legs. They were great:clap: I used legs, as they were about 1/2 the price of wings. Plus, legs seem so little anymore compared to how they use to be, they are almost like a plump wing. I could only broil them 10 min a side, as they were getting to dark. So, I ended up baking them at 350 after they were already brown for about 20 or 30 min more to make sure they were cooked through. This one is a keeper. Thanks again Kevin:cool:

Kevinpa 08-19-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkic (Post 9080464)
I could only broil them 10 min a side, as they were getting to dark.

When I do these I have my rack set in the middle of the oven and adjust it up or down from the coil at the flip depending on how dark they are.

Tweaker Geek 08-19-2007 08:52 AM

I made these yesterday - delicious!!:up: I have never been able to get wings in a restaurant that were crispy enough so these will definitely be my wing of choice from now on. Thanks Kevin - great recipe!

I also adjusted my rack to about the middle of the oven or just above for the wings, I didn't have them directly under the coils.

nikkic 08-19-2007 09:22 AM

I started with it in the middle and moved it to the lowest point on the flip. I have a hot broiler, I think.

24Fan 08-19-2007 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=Tweaker Geek;9080755]I made these yesterday - delicious!!:up: I have never been able to get wings in a restaurant that were crispy enough so these will definitely be my wing of choice from now on. Thanks Kevin - great recipe!

Was I right or was I right, Tweeker? Best wings eVAh. ;)

Tweaker Geek 08-20-2007 08:32 AM

Yep - you was right!:D

nisha_mommy2one 08-20-2007 09:05 AM

They were really good so Im going to try and make it with a whole chicken! Should I do it as a whole or cut it up in peices? I have 10 whole chickens in the feezer so need different ways to cook them up :)

Kevinpa 08-20-2007 09:09 AM

I'd cut it up. It will broil better that way I would think.

nisha_mommy2one 08-20-2007 09:40 PM

Thanks Kevin! I made these for dinner today and liked how they came out so juicy inside and spicy/crispy on the outside. :up:

jigglenomore 12-30-2007 09:19 AM

Making these today and my DH is waiting with great anticipation! Thanks, Kevin for the great instructions and pictures! Will post how they turn out for me - not the greatest cook on the block! :rolleyes:

Elaine