Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Erythritol Hard Candy

I had my Mad Professor Hat on last night trying to develop a thick erythritol based liquid that I could use as a sub for honey. Although I didn't have much luck with the honey, I did stumble onto some killer hard candy.

I brought and kept a ratio of 3:1 erythritol to water to a slow boil in a non stick pan for approx 5 minutes. At that point I added 1/2 tsp of LorAnn's peanut butter favor oil and let the motion of the low boil incorporate the flavor thru-out for another 5 minutes. The temperature at this point was 300 degrees and I removed it from te heat. I then poured the ultra hot liquid into cooking oil sprayed mini muffin pan. What I ended up with was a very smooth, very hard, non grity piece of peanut butter candy, with no cooling effect. Dang, now I wished I would have used a smaller mold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00001a.jpg (94.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00003a.jpg (59.1 KB, 131 views)
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
My mother used to make awesome hard candy, of course it was made with sugar, corn syrup, LorAnn flavoring. Many years she made as much as 25# for gifts. What she did was to oil an 8" x 8" pan, and pour the cooked to temp candy into it. As it cooled, she used a metal spatula to score it. She did this several times, and when cool, she could just tap it on the counter and it would break in to neat 'pillows'. I wonder if you could do this with your cooked candy to make smaller pieces?

Actually, hard candy was something I have wondered about, and hoped one day we would have a recipe.

Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I know you said 3:1. . .but for that amount of flavoring, 3 cups or what?

Yeah, I know, I said no treats! But this does sound promising. . .for the future. I'd want smaller molds. . .maybe order some from lorann.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Okay ... I'll be making a mini batch of this over the weekend. I have my candy molds out and ready to go, because I was planning to make some more coconut bark (I found some antique molds made of metal). Also, my latest order from netrition arrived yesterday, so I have a lot of the LorAnn oils to play with.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
I know you said 3:1. . .but for that amount of flavoring, 3 cups or what?

Yeah, I know, I said no treats! But this does sound promising. . .for the future. I'd want smaller molds. . .maybe order some from lorann.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I brought and kept a ratio of 3:1 erythritol to water
When it had boiled down what was left filled up 12 mini muffins.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
my sister used to make candy for the holidays, she would pour the hot mixture on a cookie sheet and when it was cooled she would crack it up w/a hammer. dusted them w/powdered sugar lightly to prevent sticking. that was a great treat. might have to try your recipe. thanks
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #7

Let me add that depending on how sweet you like your hard candy you may want to add some form of splenda to this. I for one do not like my hard candy super sweet so I did not.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't get to play with making the hard candy this weekend, but I did get my yard work finished. On Wednesday, the painters are coming to do the inside of my house, and they're gonna start with the kitchen, so I won't likely get to the candy for a while.

I do have a question, though, Kevin. Instead of using erythritol to make a substitute for honey, would it work just to thicken some DaVinci's sf simple syrup by reduction, and then add honey flavoring to it? I don't have enough experience at this kind of stuff to know why erythritol is the better way to go, so any information would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
I do have a question, though, Kevin. Instead of using erythritol to make a substitute for honey, would it work just to thicken some DaVinci's sf simple syrup by reduction, and then add honey flavoring to it? I don't have enough experience at this kind of stuff to know why erythritol is the better way to go, so any information would be appreciated.

Kisal, if you were to heat and reduce sugar water the mixture would thicken because of the sugar in it. Without that sugar you would have water and no matter how much it was reduced, it would never thicken....just evaporate. The same thing happens with davinci, it would never thicken....just evaporate. This is why most commercial fake honey's have maltitol in it for the sugar like properties. I was experimenting to try and find an alternative that was more friendly to the digestion. The real tough part is being able to do it without the very strong crystallization of erythritol getting in the way. One thing is certain, it will take more than simple reduction to make it work.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Got it! Thank you, Kevin!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 5'5" 173/148/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/28/2005
Quote:
I had my Mad Professor Hat on last night trying to develop a thick erythritol based liquid that I could use as a sub for honey. Although I didn't have much luck with the honey, I did stumble onto some killer hard candy.

I brought and kept a ratio of 3:1 erythritol to water to a slow boil in a non stick pan for approx 5 minutes. At that point I added 1/2 tsp of LorAnn's peanut butter favor oil and let the motion of the low boil incorporate the flavor thru-out for another 5 minutes. The temperature at this point was 300 degrees and I removed it from te heat. I then poured the ultra hot liquid into cooking oil sprayed mini muffin pan. What I ended up with was a very smooth, very hard, non grity piece of peanut butter candy, with no cooling effect. Dang, now I wished I would have used a smaller mold.
Do you think there's a way to create something like a "Coffee Nip" using this recipe? (Nestlé USA | Find Nestlé Brands)
TropicalSummerNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #12

I think lorann oils has a coffee flavor you could use, but it would be just hard candy and not have the chewy center like nips do.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think lorann oils has a coffee flavor you could use, but it would be just hard candy and not have the chewy center like nips do.
Do you think it might turn out chewy-er if cooked for less time?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabal5 View Post
Do you think it might turn out chewy-er if cooked for less time?
no, erythritol crystalizes very quickly.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
no, erythritol crystalizes very quickly.
Oh, that's too bad. Well, it was nice to dream for a while! LOL

Thanks, Kevin.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
What if you layered your candy? First layer erythritol hard coffee-flavored candy. Second layer coffee flavored fudge. Third layer erythritol coffee-flavored candy.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
What if you layered your candy? First layer erythritol hard coffee-flavored candy. Second layer coffee flavored fudge. Third layer erythritol coffee-flavored candy.
That may work as long as the hot candy didnt melt the fudge. I never tried it though.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I wonder why this doesn't have the cooling effect. I was trying to make candy the other day with erythritol and it crystallized quickly and became cloudy and hard to pour, sort of like fudge that has set too quickly. It had a very strong cooling effect.

I will have to follow your recipe exactly and try this! Sounds great. I wonder if it'd be possible to make a gooey caramel topping for the honey consistency. Perhaps if you boiled it at a hot enough temp like with caramel making?

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 03-16-2008 at 09:46 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
I wonder why this doesn't have the cooling effect. I was trying to make candy the other day with erythritol and it crystallized quickly and became cloudy and hard to pour, sort of like fudge that has set too quickly. It had a very strong cooling effect.

I will have to follow your recipe exactly and try this! Sounds great. I wonder if it'd be possible to make a gooey caramel topping for the honey consistency. Perhaps if you boiled it at a hot enough temp like with caramel making?
Scott123 reported some time ago that he made a good caramel sauce with a mixture of sugar subs, poly-d primarily; it's in the poly-d sticky for this forum, post # 47 page 2.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
bump for the approaching holidays
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Hmmm, this looks interesting. In the picture the candy has a tan color to it......Is that from cooking - or did the oil color the mixture?

I looked on Amazon and saw some cute Xmas candy molds - If this could be clear and food coloring and oil added that would be cool. Possible?

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made some chocolate mint flavored ones in my wilton candy molds. Fun! I need to do more experimenting as I previously ran out of erythritol!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Were you able to have the mixture be clear and then add green food coloring? I'm trying to understand, because I think of hard candy as basically clear as a base - with added color making it whatever color you wish it to be. So this turns out hard like a lifesaver, right?

B
Old 10-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPop View Post
Were you able to have the mixture be clear and then add green food coloring? I'm trying to understand, because I think of hard candy as basically clear as a base - with added color making it whatever color you wish it to be. So this turns out hard like a lifesaver, right?

B
The mixture was clear until I added the flavoring. The flavoring itself was brown so it colored the mixture brownish. I didn't bother adding green coloring to it as I was not sure what color brown and green would make. When I did make it with colorless vanilla extract and it stayed clear and I could color it.
Yes it turns out hard.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks sungoddess

B
Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dkerfoot
WOE: Protein Power - Give or take...
Start Date: 2004
My results were not good

My results were very disappointing. I used powdered Ceylon cinnamon for the flavoring. I brought the temperature to 310 degrees. At this point it started to darken slightly, so I removed from heat and poured into buttered mini-muffin pans.

The resulting candy was not pleasant. It had a very grainy, crumbly texture that was very different from regular hard candy and had a pronounced cooling effect.

I am not sure if using the powdered cinnamon made the difference or if we just have very different standards for what is an edible hard candy.
dkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #28
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
NIPS in my part of the country don't have chewy centers, at least not the caramel or coffee ones, so I think a coffee favoring of some kind would be just right for these.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

Kevin, can you explain 3:1 in measurement terms? How much erythritol and how much water? Us non-scientific minds would like to be able to measure and pour.....thanks!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #30

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Kevin, when you were talking about retarding the crystalization I thought about cream of tarter. Someone, was it you?, mentioned not long ago how it is reputed to have the same anti-crystalization properties in candies as corn syrup does... I can't find that now. But the person only used a small amount, say 1/8 t., in a recipe.

I would also suggest some gum in it, probably guar.

netrition honey is made with Xylitol, right? I got some and am underwhelmed, but you might want to try Xylitol in lieu of erythritol. They use xanthan gum. I suggested guar because it thickens less per volume, and I was thinking the gum volume might be needed to keep the erythritol from crystalizing. The Xylitol might be less finnicky.

I think the citric acid or something like that would be necessary too, to make it more realistic. Honey has a real bite to it!

Global Sweet Smart Sweet Xylitol Honey

Actually, why are you cooking it that much? To improve the texture? I am imagining something could be done without getting anywhere close to the boiling point that might coax an entirely different molecular behavior from the erythritol.

Last edited by ravenrose; 02-02-2010 at 12:24 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote