Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #61

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
oops
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
MyJourney, your "much better tasting sauce" is very much like what I normally make as a marinara sauce, except that I don't use fatback. I'm sure the fatback adds great flavor. I also add oregano and Italian herbs or herbes de Provence with the basil. Sometimes I add an onion, too.

I made Alton Brown's sauce awhile back, but true to my form, wasn't content to let the recipe be. I didn't bother with a chinois or food mill (actually, I don't have either one). I simply used my stick blender to break down the tomatoes. I then made a batch of my "normal" marinara. I combined the two sauces. I think this made the best sauce ever. It was deeper in flavor than my regular marinara and more nuanced, but it had a less-pasty consistency that combined well with pasta. We loved it. It's more trouble than a simple marinara but well worth it. I made enough to freeze and we're still enjoying it. I think it's the way to go if the Roma tomatoes at the market look good. BTW, we did a taste test on six varieties of canned tomatoes. Hunt's Organic and Muir Glen from the grocery store won our votes. They were tastier - and less expensive - than the San Marzano from the Italian deli. YMMV

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MyJourney
WOE: IF 23/1 - Atkinsish - BFL (parts)
Start Date: Long ago
I will have to try those tomatoes. I just looked at the can of the san marzanos I have. Its a white can with a green stripe on the top and bottom. It doesnt list a brand on it, just says san marzano. I get them at whole foods when they go on sale for around 99 cents a can. I also tried the san marzanos in the yellow can but didnt care for those as much. I do like the hunts tomato paste, I will have to try their whole tomatoes.

Sometimes I add an onion too and some oregano, marjoram, thyme etc. but it depends on what I am making. Sometimes I like a very dainty sauce and other times something more hearty so that is sort of the basic recipe and then I add on to it depending on what I am making. For example, if I am going to use the rotini I would opt for a heartier sauce. I wish dreamfields made angel hair but I imagine that might be difficult because it can overcook so easily and would be difficult with their fiber blend. I think a blend of the 2 sauces is an interesting idea.

The fatback does add a great flavor to it. Its just incredible when you make the sauce because it is so simple and it makes the house smell great. First you smell the fatback and then there is the really potent fatback garlic smell that you can smell anywhere in the house and then the fried basil and then the tomatoes. Man, I am tempted to make this now just thinking about it lol. I am all about smells!

I have to say the baked sauce recipe also had some great smells. I know some people hate it when their house smells like garlic or bacon but I adore it!
Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MyJourney
WOE: IF 23/1 - Atkinsish - BFL (parts)
Start Date: Long ago
I ended up not having the time to play with it like I intended yesterday.

I have to say, I just tried a little bit of it today, cold (I was making a LC pizza and I decided to use this sauce and a little was falling over the edge so I picked it up with my finger and tasted it) and it was quite good. I liked it much more today than I did when I made it on Sat. I wonder why.
MyJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney View Post
I ended up not having the time to play with it like I intended yesterday.

I have to say, I just tried a little bit of it today, cold (I was making a LC pizza and I decided to use this sauce and a little was falling over the edge so I picked it up with my finger and tasted it) and it was quite good. I liked it much more today than I did when I made it on Sat. I wonder why.
I have found that almost every single scratch sauce I have ever made tastes better for sitting at least a day (and most soups, too). The flavors have time to blend and mellow, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I just made 1/2 of this and started to blend the tomatoes and then decided to taste it the way it was. I sat down and ate the whole thing with the tomatoes just soft. LOL! I don't eat pasta and this was good. But 10 roma tomatoes and 1/2 an onion might be a lot of carbs. Glad I am on maintenance. If I keep this up I will be on induction! LOL

I think I made it wrong. I didn't watch the video and just added all the ingredients and baked it. Tasted great though but I added 2 packets of splenda as I like my sauce sweet except the way I ate it can't say it was sauce.
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 08-28-2007 at 11:37 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gelleaux
Stats: 215/185/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2007
This sauce looks amazing! I am getting ready to come off of induction, and this so much looks like it will fit the bill!

Does anyone have a guess on what the carb count is?

Mmm. Can't wait for some Dreamfields penne with this sauce! Add a nice salad on the side, and I will be a very happy camper this Sunday. :-)
Gelleaux is offline   Reply With Quote