Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks Kevin.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
My order came from Netrition today. Plan on making these tonight. Have no muffin top pan but have made them the regular way by dropping spoonfuls and making little chocolate cookies with the batter, in the past and they were fine. Hope this works.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
I just finished making these. For the filling, I put the sugar substitutes in the food processor to make them more powdery. I began to sneeze like crazy so I stopped. The filling wasn't smooth enough to my liking so I added heavy cream to make it more creamy. I still crunch the particles as the frosting isn't smooth like it is when you use real powdered sugar. However I froze them and that compensated for the texture. They are quite good, DH loves them.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you like them Skeeter. I'm glad you resurrected this thread too; I want to try a chocolate filling next time I make them and it reminded me of that!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
ok this is what I used.

The cake

1/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup Carbquik
1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup resistant wheat starch 75
1/4 cup cocoa
3 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T. granular erythritol
2 T. Diabeti Sweet Brown Sugar
1 splenda quick pack(1 cup equivilent)
1 T. not/Sugar
7 T. shortening
1 cup calorie countdown 2% milk
2 t. vanilla extract
3 eggs

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well incorporated.
In electric mixing bowl with wire whisk, mix shortening, milk, and vanilla until combined.
Add eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated then mix in dry ingredients until batter is smooth.
Pour batter into a greased 7 x 10 inch cake pan or dish.
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 min or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean
Let Cool.

The frosting

6 T. shortening (crisco green)
1 cup powdered erythritol
4 T. polyD
4 T. not/Sugar
1 splenda quick pack
2 to 3 T. warm water

I used the following method to make the frosting except the quick pack got mixed with the dry ingredients.

Low Carb Friends - View Single Post - Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
I made whoopie pies today. I used this recipe but I used 2 1/8 cup of C-Q flour blend, I used chocolate calorie countdown milk, 1/2 cup butter flavor crisco and I added 1/4 tsp. Lorann Chocolate oil with the vanilla extract.

I had enough batter left for one little single whoopie pie so I used that one for my taste test, these are the lightest, best tasting ones that I have made so far. I don't know if was the extra tbsp. of shortening or what but the cake seemed lighter and fluffier to me. This will probably be my recipe of choice from here on.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Bumping 'cause this is a great thread and I LUV Whoopie Pies and plan on making a batch today!!!

Happy New Year to all my LowCarb Friends!!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
so I tried to make the filling today to use as frosting for my chocolate OMM and it fell miserably. I can't figure out how to keep the egg white fluffy. I would like to figure out how to make a denser frosting but I can't. I did try to add more shortening and sweetener when it fell the first time, that made it separate.
What did I do wrong?
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jlp2009 - what filling/frosting recipe are you using that calls for egg white?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

That recipe was for a frosting from another thread I think. I'll have to find it again but it was 1 egg white beaten over hot water while adding sweetener to melt the sweetener. Then 4 Tbsp. shortening, tsp. vanilla. As soon as I added the shortening, the egg white separated. I beat it a long time. It was useable but not quite what I was looking for. Kevin has a recipe posted that I think will work better for me with the "real" frosting consistency that I was looking for. I don't like whipped cream frosting and I am tired of cream cheese frosting.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Tweeker,
Here is the recipe that I tried: (good taste just couldn't get the consistency to work)
Sugar-Free Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to frost 3-6 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 large egg white
1/4 cup xylitol (erythritol or honey might work as well)
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, cut into chunks
Pinch good tasting pure stevia extract (optional, for best flavor)
Big pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear imitation vanilla recommended)

Preparation:
Step by step photos for making a swiss meringue buttercream icing can be found here.

Whisk egg white together with xylitol in a stainless steel bowl set over a small saucepan full of water. You don't want the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Set heat to medium-low to bring water to a simmer. Whisk egg white with xylitol 3-5 minutes, or until xylitol is completely dissolved. Dip clean fingers into egg white mixture, and pinch for any undissolved granules. Mixture will appear white and foamy. Remove steel bowl from water, and beat egg white mixture until it has about doubled in volume, and is room temperature (cool to the touch). Beat in vanilla and salt. Add chunks of softened butter or shortening, one at a time, beating for 3-5 minutes until mixture is smooth and no longer curdled. Beat in a tiny pinch of stevia and taste for sweetness, making adjustments if necessary. Don't fret if your buttercream doesn't look smooth for awhile--it will eventually come together!

If after incorporating the butter the icing is too "loose" and soupy, sit the mixing bowl in an ice bath to cool, or stick the bowl into the freezer for a few minutes, and try beating again. If the mixture is chunky like cottage cheese, heat the bowl over the simmering water again and try beating until it comes together into a smooth icing. Use a spatula to smooth out the consistency. Transfer frosting to a piping bag, or just spread directly on cupcakes.

To revive refrigerated frosting, microwave it for 5-8 seconds, and stir around bowl with a spatula until smooth and creamy again. Whip until fluffy with beaters, if desired.

~0-26g net carbs per batch of frosting, depending on how you count xylitol
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
This sounds like Lauren's recipe. I have had more luck beating the egg white sugar mixture over the heat until I get the thickness I want. Then I take it off the heat and beat in the butter.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jlp - thanks for responding. Yes, Soobee, I believe that is Lauren's recipe and I did make it when I made her Healthy Yellow Cupcakes, as I recall it was very yummy!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have another Whoopie Pie recipe that I made over the holidays. These are delish, everyone couldn't get enough of them!

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies - DELISH! (made 36 cookies in muffin tops - 18 whoopie pies)
1 cup brown Diabetisweet, 1/2 cup Erythritol, 1/2 tsp. Splenda Q-P, 1/4 tsp. Stevia extract
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
2 eggs
3 cups Carbalose cake and cookie flour mix
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg plus a few shakes pumpkin pie spice
Filling:
1 egg white
2 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered Erythritol
3/4 cup shortening
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 muffin top pans.
Combine the oil and sugars. Mix in the pumpkin and eggs, beating well. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Mix well. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons onto muffin top pans. Spread the dough with back of a spoon or your finger to desired size. Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.
To Make Whoopie Pie Filling: Beat egg white and mix with half and half, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup of the powdered E. Mix well then beat in the shortening, 4 oz. cream cheese and the remaining cup of powdered E. Beat until light and fluffy.

This filling is, IMO, the best low-carb one that I've made.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wanted to add that the cookie part of these is very light tasting; the filling's light also.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Tweaker, just found your new recipe this morning~ you've made my day!! Thanks for creating these with pumpkin!!!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jiggle - Happy to oblige -I know you'll love them!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Tweaker, those pumpkin ones look awesome! I am going to try your new filling recipe.
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Tweaker,
I tried the filling recipe and it is great! I figured out what I was doing wrong with Laurne's frosting recipe. My sweetener is a mixture of xylitol, erythritol, splenda and stevia. It's good except that the erythritol and xylitol are both granlar instead of powder. That's part of the reason my mixture originally didn't work well. I re-read the instructions about beating the egg white over hot water with the sweetener. I did that this time using your recipe ingredients. It still separated when I added the shortening so I mixed it well, refrigerated it overnight, then beat it again and added the cream cheese. Now it is light and fluffy and smooth! yippee!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
bumpping to the top
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jlp - I'm so glad you liked the filling. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've been busy and haven't check in for quite some time, I'm trying to catch up!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #81
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Thought I would bump this because there is a post with Pumpkin Whoppie Pies and figured it would be great for the coming Holidays!

The post is #73 by Tweaker Geek.

Thanks Tweak!!!

Last edited by Beeb; 10-13-2010 at 12:57 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote