Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie (the carbquik way) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/488200-paula-deens-hurry-up-chicken-pot-pie-carbquik-way.html)

Kevinpa 04-14-2007 09:12 AM

Paula Deen's Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie (the carbquik way)

Paula made me hungry with her Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie yesterday on her show so I thought I'd give it a whirl. tweaked of course.:laugh:

6 servings approx 7 carbs each

2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (1.5 carbs)
1 (16 ounce) bag of frozen stir fry veggies (10 carbs)
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken and mushroom soup (7.5 carbs)
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper, optional
1 1/2 cups carbquik (18 carbs)
1 cup hood calorie countdown milk (3 carbs)
1 stick softened butter

Stir fry veggies until fork tender and set aside.
In a greased 2-quart casserole, layer the chicken, eggs, veggies. Mix the soup, chicken broth, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour over the layers. Stir together the carbquik, milk, butter and pour this over the casserole.
Bake until the topping is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp12.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp14.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp15.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp16.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp17.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp18.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp20.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/ecpp22.jpg

magnamater 04-14-2007 10:16 AM

Comfort food! Yummo! (to mix TV cook expressions!)

LindaSue 04-14-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 8473827)
Comfort food! Yummo! (to mix TV cook expressions!)

And, "How good does that look?"

Patt3 04-14-2007 03:10 PM

Oh wow! This looks great! I think I might just use my own fresh veggies rahter than the frozen. I'd skip the broccoli! :D

Tweaker Geek 04-14-2007 04:17 PM

That sure looks great, Kevin, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why the hard cooked eggs in Chicken Pot Pie?:confused:

Kevinpa 04-14-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 8475060)
That sure looks great, Kevin, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why the hard cooked eggs in Chicken Pot Pie?:confused:

I really didn't get it either Tweak but it sure tasted great....lol thats why Paula makes the BIG money.:laugh:

Crink 04-14-2007 05:32 PM

Hi Kevin,

If there are 2 1/2 servings per can of soup, then wouldn't the soup carbs be 18 3/4 carbs????? Drat, I knew this was too good to be true. That pie sure does surely look great and I must say, your hard-boiled eggs are perfect....no gray ring around the yolks. I taught food service for years and one of the things my students learned was a gray yolk is a burned yolk....No yolk...:rofl: I know....that's lame.....

Have a great weekend! and :aprayer: keep up the great cookin'!

Kevinpa 04-14-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crink (Post 8475331)
Hi Kevin,

If there are 2 1/2 servings per can of soup, then wouldn't the soup carbs be 18 3/4 carbs????? Drat, I knew this was too good to be true. That pie sure does surely look great and I must say, your hard-boiled eggs are perfect....no gray ring around the yolks. I taught food service for years and one of the things my students learned was a gray yolk is a burned yolk....No yolk...:rofl: I know....that's lame.....

Have a great weekend! and :aprayer: keep up the great cookin'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8475279)

No crink, you are thinking of another cream of soup. This one is as I said, 7.5 carbs.....check te link.

lcmiller461 04-15-2007 09:20 AM

Oh!!! I've really been missing this dish--can't wait to try it!

keywstdame 04-15-2007 09:31 AM

Crink - did you deduct the fiber from the 7 grams of carbs? My can, here at home, says 4 grams of filber that gives me 3 grams per serving. Hope this helps.

Barbara Ray 04-15-2007 12:06 PM

Thanks - AGAIN

Hi Kevin,

Once again you've come to the rescue! I have been trying to get a GOOD chicken pot pie like "forever". All the recipes I've tried leave "something" to be desired - this one looks absolutely delightful. I can't wait to try it!!!

Crink 04-15-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keywstdame (Post 8477491)
Crink - did you deduct the fiber from the 7 grams of carbs? My can, here at home, says 4 grams of filber that gives me 3 grams per serving. Hope this helps.

Campbell’s® Condensed Soups
Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Nutrition Facts*
Amount Per Serving (serving size) = 1/2 cup condensed (2 1/2 servings per can)

Calories 80
Total Fat 6g
Sat. Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 830mg
Total Carb. 7g
Dietary Fiber 4g

Sugars <1g
Protein 3g

% Daily Values**
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%

Well, I am totally confused :confused: ...but that is easy with my brain......this is the information from the link.... I guess if one deducts the fiber this REALLY is good news!!!!!!!!

:stars: Thanks! :stars:

Kevinpa 04-15-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crink (Post 8478892)
I guess if one deducts the fiber this REALLY is good news!!!!!!!!

:stars: Thanks! :stars:

I really don't know anybody who counts fiber carbs since they are not digested the same as other carb. It has always been

total carb - fiber carbs = countable or effective carbs.

Mackenzie 04-15-2007 07:17 PM

The hard boiled egg seems odd to me in chicken pot pie? :dunno: You said it was good though so I have to take your word for it...........

Kevinpa 04-15-2007 07:29 PM

lol it was Paula's idea and recipe....lol she dreamed up the eggs.

keywstdame 04-16-2007 03:43 AM

Smoochies to you, Kevin, and to Paula. I made this last night and we loved it. Now, Paula is an (ahem) older southern woman and I am an older southern woman and I have NEVER heard of the hard-boiled egg addition to chicken pot pie, but like you said, that's why she makes the BIG money and I thought - what the heck - put 'em in. It worked. Besides, I got eggs in a grandson who usually wouldn't touch eggs with a 10 foot pole. This is a Keeper.

Also, a BIG smoochie to whoever you are out there that suggested a little bit of vanilla extract when you are using Carbquick to take away the lowcarb flour taste. Works big time!:notwrthy:

Cocapelle 04-16-2007 12:21 PM

Kevin..........you have to stop doing this! I see this, at work, and you always show pictures. I get so hungry, when I see those pictures.:eek: This looks sssooooo ggooooooddd! Thanks Kevin, I will just have to deal with it. Just kidding!:hugs:

jlshields 04-16-2007 08:12 PM

Kevin,

Thank you for posting this recipe. I made it tonight and it is excellent. Most of all thank you for posting about the cream of mushroom and chicken soup. I had missed making dishes with cream of mushroom since it is so high carb. Had no idea that this one was so much lower. Went 30 miles to a super walmart and found it today. Thanks again for all your experimentation, recipes, sharing, etc.

alex57 04-17-2007 09:56 AM

Your comments of eggs in a pot pie being different reminded me of one that I used to make ages ago. Found the recipe and wanted to share for it was quite tasty.

Stew 1-2 chickens until done with
3 carrots
3 celery stalks
2-3 med. onions
parsley sprigs
1 teas. peppercorns
1-2 bay leaves

Bone chicken, slice veggies and strain broth. Arrange chicken and vegetables in a casserole with
1/4 lb. ham, sliced or diced
4 hard boiled eggs, sliced

Make a sauce with
1/4c. butter
1/3c. sherry
2c. broth
2T. lemon juice
1/4 teas. mace
2 egg yolks
salt - pepper

Pour over chicken - cover with crust (could use the one above), brush with egg white and bake 1 hour at 350.

beachguy 04-17-2007 07:22 PM

I made it, but sprinkled cheddar cheese on top (after about 30 minutes) instead of the Carbquik crust. Tastes good but it end up a little runny - think I used to much oil when I stir fried the vegetables.

Nigel 04-17-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keywstdame (Post 8480313)
Smoochies to you, Kevin, and to Paula. I made this last night and we loved it. Now, Paula is an (ahem) older southern woman and I am an older southern woman and I have NEVER heard of the hard-boiled egg addition to chicken pot pie, but like you said, that's why she makes the BIG money and I thought - what the heck - put 'em in. It worked. Besides, I got eggs in a grandson who usually wouldn't touch eggs with a 10 foot pole. This is a Keeper.

Also, a BIG smoochie to whoever you are out there that suggested a little bit of vanilla extract when you are using Carbquick to take away the lowcarb flour taste. Works big time!:notwrthy:

The first time I read about the vanilla extract, it was in one of shawneesioux's posts, but I haven't seen her around lately. She was one of the better cooks/recipe inventors on here.

diwitch 04-18-2007 04:31 AM

Has anyone tried freezing this? I really, really want to try it..after induction. But even though the dh is doing Atkins with me, I can't get him to eat pot pie. Some tramatic event from his childhood, I suppose, lol.

I was thinking of making it in individual little pot pie tins and then freezing it. Would that work do you think? When I try it, I think I will freeze some baked and some unbaked and see how that turns out.

Di

cgarza 04-19-2007 08:58 AM

I made this last night. THANKS KEVIN!!!!
It is GREAT! The eggs are really good in this dish.
I love COMFORT food like this!

crazywoman-n-wy 06-24-2007 10:12 PM

[COLOR=red]I want to try this when I remember to buy the soup.[/COLOR]

Kevinpa 06-25-2007 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 8818379)
[COLOR=red]I want to try this when I remember to buy the soup.[/COLOR]

Other than beef and chicken stock this is the only soup that I keep in my pantry. I stocked it with about a dozen cans so I don't run out.

stephdray 08-19-2007 09:53 AM

I have never heard of using eggs in a pot pie and I was afraid my husband would balk, so I left them out. The casserole was still excellent, easy, and made us feel like we were eating a high carb treat. I froze the leftovers, so I'll let you know how it turns out when I defrost it later in the week.

Berrymuch 08-19-2007 12:16 PM

stephdray,
I cant wait to hear how it tastes after its been thawed. I would like to make this for freeze aheads meal but was wondering how it would taste after it was frozen

That Girl 08-19-2007 04:42 PM

same here, its on my list of recipes to try..but since i am the only one lc'ing, i have to freeze pretty much every single thing i make....

areece03 08-19-2007 07:51 PM

i live in NC with my fiancee and we go to his parents every sunday for dinner- his mom is a very southern mom cook and has always added chopped hardboiled eggs to her chicken pie, her giblet gravy and something else that i cant remember now but it struck me as odd since im a yankee. anyways, i had assumed that that was just something they do down here. its delicious by the way- and i always love that she also makes her deviled eggs on the same days she makes her pie or giblet gravy- multitasking for the win! haha.

stephdray 09-13-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berrymuch (Post 9081399)
stephdray,
I cant wait to hear how it tastes after its been thawed. I would like to make this for freeze aheads meal but was wondering how it would taste after it was frozen

I have to say, I think this froze extremely well. The biscuit topping wasn't as crisp as it was coming out of the oven. It had also soaked up some of the sauce. But it was still delicious and had a starchy mouth feel.

I will definitely make this and various variations again. What I might do is freeze ahead _uncooked_ version and then thaw and pop in the oven when the DH is on his way home from work.