Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Let Them Eat Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/479744-let-them-eat-chocolate-cake-whipped-cream-frosting.html)

Kevinpa 03-01-2007 01:13 PM

Let Them Eat Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting
 
BettyR's HC Ice Cream Cake inspired me to make this.

Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting(6 generous servings Approx. 5 carbs each)

1/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup Carbquik
1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup resistant wheat starch 75
1/4 cup cocoa
3 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T. granular erythritol
2 T. Diabeti Sweet Brown Sugar
1 splenda quick pack(1 cup equivilent)
1 T. not/Sugar
7 T. shortening
1 cup calorie countdown 2% milk
2 t. vanilla extract
3 eggs

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well incorporated.
In electric mixing bowl with wire whisk, mix shortening, milk, and vanilla until combined.
Add eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated then mix in dry ingredients until batter is smooth.
Pour batter into a greased 7 x 10 inch cake pan or dish.
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 min or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean
Let Cool.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc31.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc33.jpg

Frosting

1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
2 T. not/Sugar
2 t. vanilla

In a electric mixing bowl using whisk attachment whip all ingredients until very stiff peaks.


Cut cake in half and frost the top of one of the halves.
Stack the other half on top and finish frosting the cake.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc37.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc38.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc43.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc44.jpg
Enjoy

lori121 03-01-2007 01:14 PM

I knew I should of never looked..... LOL That looks so good.

Joycelyn 03-01-2007 01:48 PM

OMG my mouth is watering. Thank you for this recipe. I need to buy the special ingredients, but just looking at it makes me think I've died and gone to heaven. Chocolate Cake Bliss is what you should call it.

Joycelyn 03-01-2007 01:49 PM

...and my Carbquik just came in the mail!!!! Perfect timing!

babydollsea 03-01-2007 02:47 PM

Wow, Kevin...I will probably make cupcakes (portion control). Looks lovely...

Ellbie 03-01-2007 03:39 PM

Who gets to eat all these desserts and dishes you come up with? I'm so jealous!

crazywoman-n-wy 03-01-2007 04:08 PM

[COLOR=red]Looks really good Kevin!!!!!!!![/COLOR]

Yummy's_Girl 03-01-2007 04:27 PM

Looks yummy! Another to add to my try soon list!

jlatislaw 03-01-2007 04:34 PM

I think I'll move to PA. What did you say your address is? And I promise to invite you over every week (and bring a dish to pass!)

Kevinpa 03-01-2007 06:26 PM

Happy Birthday to You,
Happy Birthday to You,
Happy Birthday Dear Low Carb Friends,
Happy Birthday to You!!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cwc45.jpg


:up: Yummo!!

Kevinpa 03-01-2007 07:06 PM

Just a note:

I now keep this and my yellow cake in my pantry as a dry pre-mix(cake in a bag so to speak). I mix all the dry ingredients and vacuum seal them. Then when I need a cake, I open a bag, add shortening, milk, vanilla, and eggs....mix and bake. :cool:

CarolynF 03-01-2007 07:21 PM

This looks fabulous, Kevin..;) I love the idea of the cake in a bag..It saves so much time and getting out all those special things..:)

Bigsky 03-01-2007 08:33 PM

Kevin- If you start a bakery-I would drive all the way from Montana to buy some of those goodies!!!!

DEBI IN OHIO 03-02-2007 05:02 AM

I iwsh I knew what a couple of those things were or subs for them...........YUM!!

cake in the bag PERFECT!

Yummy's_Girl 03-04-2007 05:02 AM

I'm hoping to make this, this week! It's too tempting to wait much longer. Besides, I like the idea of being able to mix the dry ingredients up for a cake in a bag thing, for a quick grab mix and bake idea. If this turns out as yummy as I think it will, I'll be making some of these "bags" up and vaccum sealing for later use.

Kevinpa 03-04-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8253543)
Just a note:

I now keep this and my yellow cake in my pantry as a dry pre-mix(cake in a bag so to speak). I mix all the dry ingredients and vacuum seal them. Then when I need a cake, I open a bag, add shortening, milk, vanilla, and eggs....mix and bake. :cool:



http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccm51.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ccm50.jpg

BTW this cake also freezes well.

2 mins. on defrost and its ready to eat.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/fcc52.jpg

Conevery 03-04-2007 08:08 AM

Kevin ~ You really need to start your own personal chef service. I promise that I will be your very first customer!!!

:up:

sungoddess 03-04-2007 08:17 AM

Kevin- you are incredible.

Can I ask what you used for your "shortening"?

keywstdame 03-04-2007 08:21 AM

*waving arm in the air wildly* Ohhh Kevin. I gotta question. In my old HC days I used to make cookies out of store bought cake mixes. You can get them for 88 cents at wal-mart and I would get close to 4 dozen cookies from one box. The difference in directions is the "cake" called for, usually, a cup or so of water, 1/2 cup oil (I used melted butter) and 3 eggs. I would use instead, only 1/2 cup melted butter and TWO eggs. Make a stiff dough. I then used my cookie scoop (one inch) and put them on baking sheet. No need to flatten because they spread out. O.K. - here's the question. Think I could do that with your cake mix?

Kevinpa 03-04-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 8263678)
Kevin- you are incredible.

Can I ask what you used for your "shortening"?

I use the low trans fat Crisco and don't get the least bit freaked over the trans fat in it. I get my blood work done all the time and if I thought I had a reason to worry I would. If I don't have crisco I use butter or coconut oil.

Kevinpa 03-04-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keywstdame (Post 8263688)
*waving arm in the air wildly* Ohhh Kevin. I gotta question. In my old HC days I used to make cookies out of store bought cake mixes. You can get them for 88 cents at wal-mart and I would get close to 4 dozen cookies from one box. The difference in directions is the "cake" called for, usually, a cup or so of water, 1/2 cup oil (I used melted butter) and 3 eggs. I would use instead, only 1/2 cup melted butter and TWO eggs. Make a stiff dough. I then used my cookie scoop (one inch) and put them on baking sheet. No need to flatten because they spread out. O.K. - here's the question. Think I could do that with your cake mix?

I see no reason why it should not work. You are saying you use the regular mix without the water and 1 less egg for the cookies , right?

sungoddess 03-04-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8263760)
I use the low trans fat Crisco and don't get the least bit freaked over the trans fat in it. I get my blood work done all the time and if I thought I had a reason to worry I would. If I don't have crisco I use butter or coconut oil.

Thanks for answering. I have some of that. I don't freak over the transfat in the Crisco either. I use it upon occasion to make a yummy piecrust. I actually have all of these ingredients on hand and I am going to bake a cake!!!

Thank you.:notwrthy: :notwrthy:

keywstdame 03-04-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8263773)
I see no reason why it should not work. You are saying you use the regular mix without the water and 1 less egg for the cookies , right?

Yes. As I said, it makes a stiff dough. The old way was about 12-15 carbs per cookie and if I can make it from your cake mix the carb count would be - ohhh - I would guess almost nothing.:clap: I'm going to make the cake first this afternoon and if that works I'll try the cookies. Will let you know. I know my grandsons will be very happy:up:

ItsTheWooo 03-04-2007 12:24 PM

Hi Kevin,
Do you think you could tweek this to be a triple layer coconut frosted cake (like the pepridge farm coconut cake)?

If so, how would you do that?

Kevinpa 03-04-2007 01:00 PM

I never had one of those Wooo. What is it coconut frosting or coconut cake or both. I am assuming it doesn't have chocolate in it.

jlatislaw 03-04-2007 05:20 PM

Kevin -
If one doesn't have a vacuum sealer can you think of any reason why the mix couldn't be frozen? (Sure hope your wife appreciates you!!)

Kevinpa 03-04-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlatislaw (Post 8266132)
Kevin -
If one doesn't have a vacuum sealer can you think of any reason why the mix couldn't be frozen? (Sure hope your wife appreciates you!!)

Bottom line is the dry mix looks and acts just like a cake mix. I guess you could freeze it but I'm sure a fresh gallon size ziplock with all the air squeezed out would keep for a good while in your pantry. If I did not have a sealer, that is what I would do before freezing.

ItsTheWooo 03-04-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8264872)
I never had one of those Wooo. What is it coconut frosting or coconut cake or both. I am assuming it doesn't have chocolate in it.


Well, this is what it looks like:
http://www.yummy.com/images/products...coco-caake.gif

It is a 3 layer yellow cake. The frosting tastes like it is made from powdered sugar, a typical mild light frosting, except it is mixed with coconut flakes (and coconut coats the outer cake.
The inner cake is a moist, light, mildly flavored yellow cake with a hint of coconut. The texture is light, but very moist and "crumby" (not dry crumby but moist crumby you know what I mean?)

It is delicious. I am not much of a cake person because of how dry they tend to be, but this cake is/was my obsession because it was so light and moist. If you could tell me how to achieve this I will be the most happy LCer ever :D

Thanks!

Kevinpa 03-04-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo (Post 8266485)
It is delicious. I am not much of a cake person because of how dry they tend to be, but this cake is/was my obsession because it was so light and moist. If you could tell me how to achieve this I will be the most happy LCer ever :D

Thanks!


I am going to assume this doesn't have to be 3 layers.

Actually we have the base here for just about any flavor cake you want.

You might want to sweeten the coconut some in either the cake or the frosting.
Also notice I have sliding cconut amounts due to I have never made this.

This would be my guess Wooo.......

1/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup Carbquik
1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup resistant wheat starch 75
1/8 to 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
3 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T. granular erythritol
2 T. Diabeti Sweet Brown Sugar
1 splenda quick pack(1 cup equivilent)
1 T. not/Sugar
7 T. shortening
1 cup calorie countdown 2% milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. coconut extract or flavor oil
3 eggs

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well incorporated.
In electric mixing bowl with wire whisk, mix shortening, milk, and vanilla and coconut extract until combined.
Add eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated then mix in dry ingredients until batter is smooth.
Pour batter into a greased 7 x 10 inch cake pan or dish.
Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 min or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean
Let Cool.


Frosting

1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
2 T. not/Sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. coconut extract or flavor oil
1/8 to 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut

In a electric mixing bowl using whisk attachment whip all ingredients except coconut until very stiff peaks.
Then fold in coconut. or if you rather fold in half and sprinkle the rest on top.


Cut cake in half and frost the top of one of the halves.
Stack the other half on top and finish frosting the cake.

Enjoy

rexsreine 03-05-2007 09:34 AM

Dang it, Kevin...
 
...I can hardly wait to try one of those cakes, but I'm so far behind after a trip that I think I'm ahead!

Cakes look gorgeous! Thanks for posting...no, thanks for the significant R & D.

Ginny


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 AM.