Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Ground pork and beans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/477632-ground-pork-beans.html)

Kevinpa 02-19-2007 11:10 PM

Ground pork and beans

Ground pork and beans

1 lb ground pork
6 slices turkey bacon cooked and cut into small pieces
4 scallions sliced thin
1 rib celery sliced thin
1 small zucchini sliced thin
1 clove garlic minced
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 t. dijon mustard
1/4 cup low carb ketchup
1 T. worchestershire sauce
2 T DiabetiSweet brown
1 t. fresh thyme
1 14.5 oz can DelMonte Petite cut diced tomatoes with zesty jalapenos
1 15 oz can Eden Black soy beans rinsed completely
1/2 t. not/Starch
salt and pepper to taste

In a nonstick skillet brown ground pork.
Add scallions, celery, zucchini and saute until pork is cooked and vegetables are limp.
Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, mustard, ketchup, worchestershire, thyme, DiabetiSweet, salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer together for at least 5 minutes.
Taste test and sweeten or add heat to taste.
Add not/starch using shaker method and continue to simmer until sauce starts to thicken.

Stir in beans and bacon then transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish.

Bake in a preheated 325 oven for at least 1 to 1 1/2 hour.

Serve as a side or entrée

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/gpnb13.jpg

Yummy's_Girl 02-20-2007 02:12 AM

This looks good! I'm going to make this tonight, if I have all the ingredients!

Kevinpa- Do you slice the zucchini in thins, across? Or do I cut the zucchini longways, then into think slices? I didnt see any larger round pieces, so I just want to make sure I do it right, if I make it, tonight. (It's hard to tell for sure, in the pic)

Kevinpa 02-20-2007 02:27 AM

It was like a cross between pork n beans and chilli.

Yummy's_Girl 02-20-2007 07:08 PM

I made this tonight, as a side dish with the mexican pork chops. It was yummy! Thanks, Kevinpa!

Yummy's_Girl 02-21-2007 12:13 PM

I just wanted to mention that this is very versatile for leftovers. I had some of the leftovers scopped onto the top of a salad, for lunch, and made a taco salad type thing with some sour cream and hot sauce.

DH put it in a LC tortilla with cheese, sour cream, lettuce and made himself a wrap

I bet it would make a good omellete filling, also.

txjohn 05-07-2007 08:38 AM

Pork N Beans

Made this for first time and all members of family absolutely loved it. DS was even using like Sloppy Joes. Only thing I did differently was subbing another zuchini for the celery cause I had no celery. Thanks Kevin.

ltip 05-07-2007 08:51 AM

oh boy!!!! We really like our baked beans in the summer with dogs and burgers
Do these beans (with the sauce ingredients)
taste like baked Beans??

Kevinpa 05-07-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltip (Post 8589329)
Do these beans (with the sauce ingredients)
taste like baked Beans??

Very much so. Make sure you rinse them off completely though.

ltip 05-07-2007 09:06 AM

Cool. Thanks Again Kevin! I have seen them at our local farm market /health food store but never bought them.

Roni 05-08-2007 09:57 AM

Thanks Kevin, I have a can of those black soy beans that I've been meaning to try. This looks great. :)

Binsk 10-19-2007 08:59 AM

These beans are wonderful. I didn't use the ground pork or turkey bacon because I didn't have that in the house, but I did use some Canadian bacon cubed in small pieces and also added 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika. Tonight, DH and I will have them with grilled ribs. The weather is still good here at the moment and I want to take advantage of grilling weather. Thank you Kevin for this recipe. You're a genius in the kitchen.

jezzie 10-20-2007 01:53 AM

Looks good.

I'll switch the beans and use brown sugar Splenda. I love dark red kidney beans.
(Even though I like many soy products the black beans aren't one of them.)