Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks for reminding me of that, Kevin. I usually scoop a loose scoop and shake the measuring cup or whatever to level it off. I may be a bit light on the true measure. I'll try the scoop, tap, level method.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liz1114
Stats: 206.5/160/150-145,5'7.5",25yo
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Sept 5, 2006
Kevin, I have everything but the wpi 8000 and netrition is out right now...........I know you said it is perfect but I would be okay with having one a little less then perfect by substituting vital wheat gluten if you think it would work? I made your white bread with the vital wheat gluten in place of the 8000 awhile back do you think it would be okay to do the same in the recipe? TIA for any advice you might have.
liz1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #63

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz1114 View Post
Kevin, I have everything but the wpi 8000 and netrition is out right now...........I know you said it is perfect but I would be okay with having one a little less then perfect by substituting vital wheat gluten if you think it would work? I made your white bread with the vital wheat gluten in place of the 8000 awhile back do you think it would be okay to do the same in the recipe? TIA for any advice you might have.
Liz, its only 1/8 cup of wpi 8000 and vital wheat gluten is close enough property wise that I think that sub would work just fine.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liz1114
Stats: 206.5/160/150-145,5'7.5",25yo
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Sept 5, 2006
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, you rock!!!
liz1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: penny928
Stats: 277/206/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June, 2003
I definitely want to try these! They look so good. I assume CC is Carb Countdown? Can't find it around here anymore (Tucson, AZ). Any ideas? Can cream be used or ?? Also, what is the difference between wpi 8000 and wpi 5000? Need to order these.
Thanks for the help.
penny928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny928 View Post
I definitely want to try these! They look so good. I assume CC is Carb Countdown? Can't find it around here anymore (Tucson, AZ). Any ideas? Can cream be used or ?? Also, what is the difference between wpi 8000 and wpi 5000? Need to order these.
Thanks for the help.
Yes Penny, cc is calorie countdown. If I didn't have it I would not hesitate to use heavy cream as a sub.

There is a long winded explaination about the differences in the 5000 and 8000 but I prefer scott123's short winded simply put answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Simply put 8000 is used for strength/chewiness and the 5000 is for improved volume.
HTH
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: penny928
Stats: 277/206/135
Start Date: June, 2003
Kevinpa,
Thanks so much for your help. I have been trying several of your recipes and I always know that it will turn out great.
Penny in Tucson
penny928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
I made the cinnamon rolls tonight. This is definitely a keeper! I had intended on baking them and putting them away for breakfast tomorrow. Shoulda known better! The kids decided that they wanted these for desert tonight. I made everyone stop after one, that way they could all still have one for breakfast. Can't wait to eat mine with a nice mug of coffee to go with it!!
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starwing925
Stats: 197/178/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: restart 10/3/11
Thank you so much for the recipe and all of your hard work and patience. I have a friend that has been dying for "legal" cinnamon rolls and now I can bake them for her as a surprise! Thanks! Melody
Starwing925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ollie
Stats: 184/174/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/03/2012
Hi Kevin,
All your wonderful treats are making my mouth water. One question, I am searching for the "perfect" burger bun. I have been using Sherri's savory (waffle) buns for my burgers. They are pretty good, I make them in my muffin top pan. Only thing is that they really don't have the texture of a soft burger bun. Your dinner rolls look absolutely scrumptious I noticed you were originally thinking that maybe they would work as a burger bun. Did you happen to try them that way. I'm just wondering if they will hold up with a burger and all the yummy toppings. I am addicted to Culver's burgers. I have one every other weekend. I bring my LC buns and do a switcheroo. I would love to find a bun closer to the cornmeal dusted ones they serve. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Kay
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Hi Kevin,
All your wonderful treats are making my mouth water. One question, I am searching for the "perfect" burger bun. I have been using Sherri's savory (waffle) buns for my burgers. They are pretty good, I make them in my muffin top pan. Only thing is that they really don't have the texture of a soft burger bun. Your dinner rolls look absolutely scrumptious I noticed you were originally thinking that maybe they would work as a burger bun. Did you happen to try them that way. I'm just wondering if they will hold up with a burger and all the yummy toppings. I am addicted to Culver's burgers. I have one every other weekend. I bring my LC buns and do a switcheroo. I would love to find a bun closer to the cornmeal dusted ones they serve. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Kay
not kevin, but i make his #4 recipe using all cc 2 percent milk and i put the dough in muffin top pans. works great! just roll the dough, place in pan and cover w/saran wrap. don't touch or punch down. they will blow up and get even bigger in the oven. when they come out, the settle down a bit and even create a seam to follow to cut on. they are very, very good. hth..... also, i just realized this, you should check out the simple white bread thread, thats where there are a bunch of diff recipes/ideas on this bread...bella

Last edited by That Girl; 02-28-2007 at 06:52 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Hi Kevin,
Kay
Kay, this is the best bun I have come up with yet....hope this works for you....

Just a Simple White Bread Thread
Old 03-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #73
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Sherrie's buns were too much like waffles to me both in taste and texture. Kevin's recipe is the real thing. I Highly recommend that you try it.

Jackie
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Question for Kevin using the Powdered E

Kevin, with your cinnamon mixture, didnt you find any issues with the powdered E. I only tried using it once, but it had this weird cooling effect that I heard about. Maybe because I didnt use a combo of sweetners you think? Just wanted your opinion on that.
hirezmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezmary View Post
Kevin, with your cinnamon mixture, didnt you find any issues with the powdered E. I only tried using it once, but it had this weird cooling effect that I heard about. Maybe because I didnt use a combo of sweetners you think? Just wanted your opinion on that.
If you used it by itself you are right the re-crystallization of the E will give you an overpowering cooling effect. The key is the combination of the polyD and the not/Sugar to negate that re-crystallization thus eliminating the cooling effect. There is no sub for those two ingredient in this recipe.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jackie - back on Page 15 of this thread you gave your results using muffin top pans for the buns. I just re-read that and you said you got 12 buns? I made them and used the muffin tops, they came out great but I only made 6, going by Kevin's making them in the bowls. Your picture looks like the size of the ones I made so I'm wondering when I make them again and try for 12 will they come out as large - maybe rise as much but not be as dense, more airy, as the 6 I made?

Make any sense at all?

Whoops, I just realized I posted this in Cinnamon Rolls not the Bread Thread! LOL, I'll just leave it here for awhile and see what happens!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 03-01-2007 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: posted in wrong thread
Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 AM   #77
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Tweaker Geek:
I only made 6 buns. Bella had said she made 12 but I couldn't find where I did that. But that doesn't matter--It would be an error nonetheless. It was 6. Sorry for the confusion.

In my opinion, 12 would be more of a large dinner roll than a big bun.

Jackie

Last edited by jackieba; 03-02-2007 at 06:52 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're right Jackie, it was Bella who got 12, sorry about that! It was your pictures! Mine look just like yours, BTW - and oh so good!

Bella - were your 12 rolls the size of dinner rolls or hamburger buns?

TIA
Old 03-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
You're right Jackie, it was Bella who got 12, sorry about that! It was your pictures! Mine look just like yours, BTW - and oh so good!

Bella - were your 12 rolls the size of dinner rolls or hamburger buns?

TIA
hi everybody! i always get 12. the are about the size of grapefruits before baking and then settle down to a large hamburger bun size. if i wasn't such a computer ditz, i could take some pics for you. anybody try the pretzels yet? have a great day!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #80
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
These look super yummy, so much that I woke up at 4:30am dreaming about them.

Quick question re: Sweetzfree.

That is the one ingredient I don't have, what can I use to substitute it for. I see in the recipe it says an equivalent to splenda, but do I mix the splenda with a little water or something?

Totally clueless on this point.

I hope someone is up this early to answer the question.
TIA
Bar10der is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #81

Maria, the only reason I used sweetzfree was to keep the carbs lower. Any type of splenda will do. The last time I made these I used about 3/4 tsp of a splenda quick pack in place of the sweetzfree.

Just mix it with the other dry ingredients and then mix the wet to them.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 12-30-2007 at 07:28 AM..
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #82
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Ok, thanks for clarification. I thought it might have something to do with more liquids, so I added a little vanilla DaVinci to the mix.

They are rising right now.
Bar10der is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar10der View Post
Ok, thanks for clarification. I thought it might have something to do with more liquids,
16 drops is less than 1/4 tsp of liquid. Not even enough to worry about.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greenbean
I am making these for my birthday tomorrow! Yea!

Can I make the cinnamon rolls tonight and bake them in the morning? Or will this ruin them/cause them to rise too much?

I really want fresh but making them in the morning isn't an option because I am sleeping in!
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
I am making these for my birthday tomorrow! Yea!

Can I make the cinnamon rolls tonight and bake them in the morning? Or will this ruin them/cause them to rise too much?

I really want fresh but making them in the morning isn't an option because I am sleeping in!
You might be able to do a cold rise overnight....but I have never tried it with this recipe.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the response. Cinnamon rolls are rising! Oh my goodness these smell wonderful and they are not even baking yet!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

I made these with carbalose instead of carbquick because that is what I had. DH and I think they are good. My mom doesn't like them at all. Next time I make them I am going to use carbquick.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
I made these with carbalose instead of carbquick because that is what I had. DH and I think they are good. My mom doesn't like them at all. Next time I make them I am going to use carbquick.
I have always thought Carbquik makes a better sweet bread then carbalose does.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #89
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
I know the last time this was used was Feb. but if anyone knows an answer to a question and no one knows what has happened to Kevin, is the butter to be melted or softened for both the cinnamon mix and the dough mix?
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
I know the last time this was used was Feb. but if anyone knows an answer to a question and no one knows what has happened to Kevin, is the butter to be melted or softened for both the cinnamon mix and the dough mix?
softened for both