Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
NurseyPoo, I used the metal...

blade when I made Kevin's White Bread and found it just fine. I did have to hang onto the food processor,though, as it wanted to go bouncing along the counter!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Ginny,

I have never made sourdough, but ordered the New England starter. It is not here yet, but I have a question before I begin.

You mention "filtered water". Is that necessary and why use that over regular tap or bottled water?

TIA
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #213
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Jeanne, I can't speak for Ginny but I only use filtered or spring water when making sourdough. The taste is the difference of night and day. Tap water being bad news.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Kevin,

Thank you, I don't want to waste ingredients on something that does not taste good. I will invest in the filtered water.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #215
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
I've been trying to make dumplings like you roll out real thin and cook in boiling broth--I used canned biscuits in HC days (we don't like drop dumplings). When I tried LC biscuit dough (I used your recipe Kevin since it's the only LC biscuits we like), they fell apart in the broth so I tried the Carbquik bread recipe and it held together and the cooked texture was okay (not perfect but acceptable) but the flavor was not even close. If you come up with any ideas for a more biscuit-like flavor that won't fall apart, please let me know. But this may be something that just doesn't lend itself to lowcarb.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #216
Blabbermouth!!!

Jackie, My mother used to make a dough based dumpling that she boiled with ham and broth that she called rivels. I have been trying for a year to make these LC and have failed every time I have a feeling these are close to what you are looking for but I am starting to get discouraged that it may not be posible.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne, about the water...

The tapwater where we live (Scottsdale, AZ)to me tastes like dirt and smells like bleach. We have a reverse osmosis water filter and it makes all the difference in the world for coffee, beverages, and soups. If the water where you live is free of such problems, it would probably be okay to use. If you have any doubts, I'd go with bottled. Weird-tasting water will affect the final taste of the sourdough.

Ginny
Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Jackie, what about...

...trying my sourdough bread for dumplings? I was thinking that making half the recipe,leaving out the yeast and baking powder,and increasing the water to get a batter would yield something like the "rivels" Kevin is talking about. For a dough to roll out thinly, maybe, again, leaving out yeast and baking powder but leaving the rest of the ingredients the same might work. The sourdough does seem to cover odd flavors so it might be worth a shot. I'd try it myself but a) I'm not a huge dumpling fan and b) the only kind of dumplings my DH likes are a very unusual almost all-flour thing that comes out rather hard and chewy and most likely cannot be de-carbed.

Ginny
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Code:
Jackie, My mother used to make a dough based dumpling that she boiled with ham and broth that she called rivels. I have been trying for a year to make these LC and have failed every time I have a feeling these are close to what you are looking for but I am starting to get discouraged that it may not be posible.
My mother used to make something she called "riblets" that she dropped in potato soup. She made an egg noodle mix (flour, egg yolk) and dropped it in the soup in small pieces, boiled till done. I really don't remember all the details except that they were good.

JL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
The whole Rivel/Dumpling thing seems to be of German/Russian heritage, one of those crossborder eastern european food things! I so love investigating ethnic cookerey, so I went and dug a bit.

Very interesting things found in passing:
from The Dictionary of German-Russian Food Terms:
"Rival Small Dumplings
Rivel Small Dumplings
Rivella Small Dumplings
Rivels Small Dumplings
Rivelsuppe Small Dumpling Soup
Rivilla Small Dumplings
Rivle Small Dumplings
Rivvel Small Dumplings
Rivweissel Suppe Rice-like Noodle Soup
Riwwelkuchen Streusel or Crumb Cake
"

from the Kintyre (N Dakota) Centennial Cookbook:
"Of special interest for the Germans from Russia community will be the ethnic recipes including:
apple dumplings, baked cheese buttons, Knoepfla, Blachinda, bread dough Kuchla, country style sausage, delicious oven dumplings, Enlauf Suppe, Fleischkehla, Grandma Wolf's Kuchen dough and filling, homemade cheese, homemade mustard, Hungarian chicken goulash, Kaluski, Kase Knoephla, Knepfla soup, Kruat bundles, Kuchen, lazy way to make cheese buttons, mom's cooked cheese, noodles, old-fashioned noodles and sauerkraut, pickled pig feet (Culdahets), potato dumplings, Rivel soup, Russian Kuchen, Runzas, Sauerkraut Knephla, Schlitz Kuchla, smear Kase, sugar Kuchen and wedding Kuchen.
"

and from the Pennsylvania Dutch {which is actually a mildly corrupted form of Deutsch, or German, I should know, actually being Dutch myself and having married a Deutsch }, Authentic Berks County Recipes:

Rivel Soup

Rivel soup, also called Dough Ball Soup, is great for when company drops by. In an old Dutch [sic] home, you'd never get company without feeding them, no matter how unexpected they are. The ingredients are considered staples in most old dutch [sic] kitchens.

RIVEL SOUP

* 8 cups of chicken broth (I use canned)
* 1 onion, diced
* 2 Tbsp dried parsley
* 2 cups flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 2 cans corn
* 2 cups chicken, cooked, and diced (this is optional)

Bring the broth to a boil.

In a bowl, mix flour, salt and eggs until you have a crummy mixture (not smooth, itíll make crumbs). Rub mixture between your fingers over the broth dropping small amounts in. These are called rivels. They should not be big, that is a dumpling. Maybe pea size.

Add corn and cook about 10 - 15 minutes.

If you want, add the chicken just before you take it off the stove.

and maybe this Amish Potato Rivel Soup:

Amish Potato Rivel Soup
The staff at the Patchwork Quilt Country Inn in northern Indiana takes great pride serving regional specialties like this comforting soup. The "rivels" (small noodle dumplings) thicken the soup, and require no special equipment to make.
# 1 1/2 cups water
# 3 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
# 1 celery rib, finely chopped
# 1 small onion, finely chopped
# 1/2 cup diced cured or smoked ham
# 1 large egg, lightly beaten
# 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
# 1 teaspoon salt
# 4 cups milk
# 1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
# 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or chives

Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4–6
1. Bring the water, potatoes, celery, onion and ham to a simmer in a large saucepan; cook for 20 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the egg, flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Using floured hands, pull into stringy lumps; add to the potato mixture. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring often. Stir in milk, celery seeds and remaining salt; heat through. Top with parsley or chives.

----

Be interesting to LC the Rivel or tiny dumplings, should be quite do-able (and I note, they are much like Spaetzle...hmmmmmm). I think the potato version sounds do-able, too, with yummy Sunchokes and/or Cauliflower...

Last edited by theislandgirl; 01-16-2007 at 03:15 AM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #221
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Jude, that is real close to my moms recipe only with a ham variation. My problem is not getting the texture from a LC version of these, it is getting the taste of the dough correct. No matter which I use the taste has never been right.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

This is interesting, there is another German dumpling/noodle called Spaetzle. It also used flour, egg, water. You mix up a very loose batter and then press it through a spaetzle press (looks like a huge garlic press) or rub through a strainer or potato ricer. You drop into boiling water or soup and let cook. There is a recipe on the recipe board but I have not tried it yet. The spaetzle is wonderful with a thick lentil soup.

And to digress even further. There is another German "dumpling" called Dampfnudeln. Translated means "steamed noodle". I have made a very successful LC version of this using jackieba's dinner roll recipe. Basically these dumplings are a yeast dough which you form into balls (dinner roll size) and let rise till double. Then put about 1/4 cup water or milk and 1/4 cup butter in a heavy frying pan with a tight fitting lid. When the butter mixture starts to sizzle put the dumplings in and cover. Let cook until the water/butter mixture evaporates (and when you shake the pan you don't hear sizzle or sloshing) and the steam coming out of pan smells done (not yeasty smelling anymore). These have a crisp brown bottom and a steamed, white, glossy top. You can cut up and serve with a rich meat gravy or some also eat with a fruit sauce for dessert. They are a wonderful comfort food. Sorry the directions are sort of vague. This is the way my grandmother taught me to make them. I prefer them with water and savory gravy.
"How does one become a butterfly?...You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."Trina Paulus

"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
Old 01-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #223
Blabbermouth!!!

I made these just as I did my cinnamon rolls except I didn't use the cinnamon.
I thought I should post them here also since these were a tweak of the carbquik dough.
It still does not raise as much as the carbalose dough, but it more than doubles.
It makes one heck of a good dinner roll. Great taste, texture and 2 carbs each.
The splenda does not make these sweet but I do think it has eliminated that taste allong with a couple other tweaks.

Rolls

* 1/2 cup bottled spring water
* 1/2 cup warm CC milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbquik
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed to make a rollable dough.
Then turned the dough onto a dusted countertop and roll out to a 10 x 12 rectangle.
Roll into a log sealing seam and ends.
Cut log into 12 pieces and place in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
Cover and let rise for 1 to 2 hours in a warm draft free place till rolls double in size.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Bake 20 to 25 mins or until golden brown.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I'm ordering from netriton again, soon, and Can't wait to the the rolls and the cookies!!!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #225
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
kevin i wanted to try to make the rolls, do i need to feed the yeast or dump it in with the dry? also if i dont use the not sug, will it compromise it too much? thanks
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #226
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
kevin i wanted to try to make the rolls, do i need to feed the yeast or dump it in with the dry? also if i dont use the not sug, will it compromise it too much? thanks
No you don't feed the yeast just mix it in with the dry, but make sure you use rapid rise yeast. I personally think the not/Sugar or not/Starch make for a softer dough but if you don't have it you can use the guar gum and xanthan
gum that is used in the bread. If you leave it out I am not sure what will happen since I never tried that on this recipe.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #227
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

jeez what a mess! i rolled on wax paper, it was fine till i walked away looking for the right pan , need less to say , boy did it stick- wrestled it into 12 balls , well see, what happens
Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #228
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

thanks kevin!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #229
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
jeez what a mess! i rolled on wax paper, it was fine till i walked away looking for the right pan , need less to say , boy did it stick- wrestled it into 12 balls , well see, what happens
I hardly ever use wax paper any more. There is so much less sticking using a floured counter-top, parchment paper or "my favorite" the newer non-stick foil.

Also, one of the reasons I like using the bread hook on the mixer is that while it is kneading and you add the extra wpi 5000 you can tell it is ready for rolling when the dough starts climbing up the hook.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 01-19-2007 at 01:13 PM..
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #230
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

its benn a half hr, dosent look like anything
Old 01-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #231
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

mine turned out a bit dense and tastes like cornbread
Old 01-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #232
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
mine turned out a bit dense and tastes like cornbread
Couple of questions:

Did it raise? if so how much?
Did yeast have a good date?
How much wpi 5000 did you add during kneading?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #233
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

i added 1 extra teas sugar it rose but quickly when i set it on the stove to heat oven. i used prob 1/2 cup.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #234
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Rolls

* 1/2 cup bottled spring water
* 1/2 cup warm CC milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbquik
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed to make a rollable dough.
When I was making these buns and got the dough to a rollable state I kept thinking that it reminded me of another dough I had made in the past but it didn't come to me right then.
This morning when I was deciding what to make for lunch......it hit me like a ton of bricks.

So I made a batch of this dough to the point of the directions above and split the dough in half wraped part and refridgerated it.

The other half I stretched out onto a 12 pizza pan, topped with sauce, pepperoni, and cheese.

Then in a preheated 425 oven I baked it for 15 to 20 min.....closer to 15.

Low and behold....LQQK what I found.........

Can you spell Pepperoni Pizza for 2.5 carbs per slice.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #235
Blabbermouth!!!

A quick follow-up. I took the other half of the dough from the fridge and let it rise for 45 min and then made a second pie from it. All the football fans agree that although both made excellent pizzas.......#2 was the hands down winner for both taste and texture.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Kevin,

Is the Carbquik taste masked by the pizza ingredients?
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #237
Blabbermouth!!!

Diane, my DW is very sensitive to the taste of low carb flours and is my biggest critic when it come to the breads I make. She was thrilled with this pizza dough and said it tasted like normal dough. I think it is a combination of the splenda in the dough and the flavors of the pizza toppings that really make it work.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That pizza looks good, man!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
do you think chilling the dough killed off some of that crazy smell and taste that bothers some of us? i can't wait to try this pizza now...
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #240
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Kevin, how long did you leave the dough in the fridge (I assume a few hours since this was all in one day)?
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote