Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #121
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
My concern now is we're getting use to having some sort of bread at every meal (I'm making yeast rolls this morning for dinner and I'll be making another loaf bread for tomorrow's breakfast)--I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I do count every carb though and I'm even starting to pay attention to calories.

For anyone who makes hamburger buns and really wants the standard 4-inch round commercial looking buns, I found some Wilton 4" x 1 1/4" round baking pans at the grocery store and they do great. They only came 3 to a pack so I got two because I usually do 6 buns and freeze them. I've been doing buns for awhile now and had tried large baking pans and muffin top pans but nothing gave me the right size. When I used these and cut the baked buns, they looked just like the high carb ones I use to buy. The dough rose above the pan top as it should--I think the final size was 4" round and atleast
1 1 /2 inches high, maybe a little more. When it's just the two of us, looks don't matter that much but when we have non-LC'ers over, we serve them the same things we eat-- how it looks forms their first impression of how it will taste. It may not matter to anyone else, just thought I'd mention it.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #122

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
jlshields,
is the recipe you used for your rye bread here and I just didn't see it (I looked for oat bread recipe but couldn't find it)?
Jackie, here is the post of the original oat bread by GetFitMom and my version of it. This oat bread was the inspiration of for both the carbalose and the carbquik version in this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...53#post7718653
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #123
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kevin.
I made the Carbalose version yest and it's definitely our favorite. I was expecting it to be kinda dense but it kept rising and rising. It's a little over 5 inches tall (for comparison, the Carbquk version was 4" tall). We like the flavor better too. Since it rose so much I was afraid it would be hollow or something but it's not. It's great bread. Thanks for the excellent recipe.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
My concern now is we're getting use to having some sort of bread at every meal (I'm making yeast rolls this morning for dinner and I'll be making another loaf bread for tomorrow's breakfast)--I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I do count every carb though and I'm even starting to pay attention to calories.

For anyone who makes hamburger buns and really wants the standard 4-inch round commercial looking buns, I found some Wilton 4" x 1 1/4" round baking pans at the grocery store and they do great. They only came 3 to a pack so I got two because I usually do 6 buns and freeze them. I've been doing buns for awhile now and had tried large baking pans and muffin top pans but nothing gave me the right size. When I used these and cut the baked buns, they looked just like the high carb ones I use to buy. The dough rose above the pan top as it should--I think the final size was 4" round and atleast
1 1 /2 inches high, maybe a little more. When it's just the two of us, looks don't matter that much but when we have non-LC'ers over, we serve them the same things we eat-- how it looks forms their first impression of how it will taste. It may not matter to anyone else, just thought I'd mention it.

thank you for the pan idea, i'll be looking for some so I can make the buns
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I just made my first loaf (definitely not my last!) of this today. It is very much like any high carb bread in taste, texture and color! I had one small slice right after it came out of the oven with nice melted butter on it - yum!!

Thanks Kevin!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 12-06-2006 at 01:36 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
i just made french toast this morning with kev's bread. omg, tasted like the real thing. i mixed eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and divinci carmel together. i let the bread soak for a few minutes on both sides to absorb as much flavor as poss. it was great, sf syrup and some sausage links, yum... tasted like mom used to make!!! thanks, kevin!!!!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Thanks, Kevin--

Having put my bread machine away several years ago, I dragged it out today and am darn glad I did. My loaf of the carbalose bread is cooling as I type. Can't wait to try it. With the new ingredients available now, making a decent bread is so much easier(and tastier) thanks to folks like Kevin.
If I can---anyone can.
helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Great recipe!!!

Wow!!! What a difference fresh yeast makes!! It rose and rose and rose. I doubled the recipe and made a loaf and 8 hamburger buns.

My loaf pan was only 7 1/2 inches by 4 1/2. I definitely need to get a larger loaf pan.

My loaf wasn't sticky at all. It felt just like hc bread dough. Maybe because I made it in a food processor?

Last edited by Zuleikaa; 12-10-2006 at 01:29 PM..
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Zuleikaa, how did you do the bread in the food processor. . .sounds great, since you could double your recipe (can't really do that in the bread machine, have to do 2 consecutive kneadings, so they rise at different rates). . .and I prefer the food processor to the bread machine. . .since I'm baking in the oven rather than the machine.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Has anyone baked this bread in a bread machine? I've seen several people say they are mixing/kneading in bread machine but not baking---just curious why. TIA
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LC bread doesn't do well with more than one kneading or rising. The bread cycle punches down the dough for a 2nd rising. Therefore doesn't work nearly as well.

Just let the machine do the kneading, do not let it rise in the machine, remove the dough, shape as you wish and let it rise.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
Great recipe!!!

Wow!!! What a difference fresh yeast makes!! It rose and rose and rose. I doubled the recipe and made a loaf and 8 hamburger buns.

My loaf pan was only 7 1/2 inches by 4 1/2. I definitely need to get a larger loaf pan.

My loaf wasn't sticky at all. It felt just like hc bread dough. Maybe because I made it in a food processor?
I would reiterate Magnamater's question about doing a double recipe in a food processor; this recipe seemed to strain the Kitchen Aid mixer that I used. But, Zuleikaa, are you saying that you used CAKE yeast, or merely packet yeast that was in date? If it was cake yeast, how long did it take to rise?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
this recipe seemed to strain the Kitchen Aid mixer that I used.
I'm curious, is this a new or old Kitchen Aid? I have a Kitchen Aid that is at least 20 years old and it is not a strain at all.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I would reiterate Magnamater's question about doing a double recipe in a food processor; this recipe seemed to strain the Kitchen Aid mixer that I used. But, Zuleikaa, are you saying that you used CAKE yeast, or merely packet yeast that was in date? If it was cake yeast, how long did it take to rise?
No it was yeast from a brand new jar. My old jar was just coming out of date and had little left. Jarred yeast lasts me over a year and usually has an expiration date of over a year from date of purchase. I keep my jar of yeast in the refrigerator.

I have a large cuisinart food processor that has a 11 cup capacity. I just bought it last year as a replacement for one of the same size that was over 20 years old and still working. I use my cuisinart for mixing everything; it has a powerful motor.

Last edited by Zuleikaa; 12-11-2006 at 08:09 AM..
Old 12-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Zuleikaa, how did you do the bread in the food processor. . .sounds great, since you could double your recipe (can't really do that in the bread machine, have to do 2 consecutive kneadings, so they rise at different rates). . .and I prefer the food processor to the bread machine. . .since I'm baking in the oven rather than the machine.
I habitually make all bread doughs in my cusinart; I'm an old time hc bread baker. I think using a food processor is quick and easy. In this case, I think it also leads to a better texture. As I said, my dough was not sticky at all.

Process for the food processor - I have the largest cuisinart (non commercial 11 cups)

Use metal blade.
Measure dry ingredients into processor bowl. Process to blend.
Measure wet ingredients in a measuring cup or pourable container. Mix until thouroughly blended.
With processor running, slowly pour liquid ingredients through tube until a dough ball is formed around the blade, all "flour" is incorporated and the sides of the processor are clean.
Continue processing for an additional ~30 seconds.

Done - dough is mixed and kneaded.
Form, let rise, and bake as usual.

Note: Water doesn't have to be usual warm temperature, of course not ice cold, as processing imparts heat.

Breads, cakes, cookie doughs, I do it all in my food processor. You do need a processor with a strong motor; I love my cuisinart.

If you have a smaller processor just make two batches one right after the other; you can measure out ingredients for the second batch into separate containers until the processor is free. It was measuring out the ingredients that took the time. Mixing took less than 2 minutes, lol!!!

Last edited by Zuleikaa; 12-11-2006 at 08:08 AM..
Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Zuleikaa, I do have a large capacity food processor, and supposedly has a strong motor.

I can try! If I fail, I can get out something else! I live for gadgets! I hadn't made bread in the food processor since the '80's--before my 1st breadmaker. I LOVE homemade bread, surely many of my extra lbs came from bread!

My experience with lc bread is that I CAN'T eat but one piece, it is so filling! ( or one sandwich, that is, from homemade lc bread.) New territory for me!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I'm curious, is this a new or old Kitchen Aid? I have a Kitchen Aid that is at least 20 years old and it is not a strain at all.
The Kitchen Aid I was using is a new one. With this (and some other recipes I've done) it sort of bumps up and down a little unless I hold it down (and would perhaps start walking across the counter if I let it).
Old 12-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
carbquik vs. carbalose white bread - my results

I made both versions of Kevin's simple white bread today in my food processor, which made for a very quick and easy method.My Carbquik loaf looked very much like Kevin's. The Carbalose loaf rose quite a bit higher, even getting that rounded hump on the side that regular breads do. I figured the Carbalose loaf would be much spongier due to the significantly higher proportion of wheat protein isolate 8000 but, texturally, there really wasn't all that much difference between the two. DH and I thought they were both very good. Taste-wise, we gave an edge to the Carbquik bread. I thought the Carbalose version had a just a tad of an aftertaste. We toasted slices of both and enjoyed them even more. I'm so happy to have bread that isn't cotton-y or fibrous and that has a lovely, real crust! We think both breads will be great for grilled or regular sandwiches, toast, or just about anywhere you'd use bread. Next time I make the Carbquik bread I'm going to increase the WPI 8000 by 2 Tbs and decrease the 5000 by the same amount to see if the bread might rise a little higher. I'm also going to make a batch of hamburger buns from it, using the bun mold that I am sure DH has put under the Christmas tree for me... Kevin, any thoughts on that? At any rate, we are much indebted to you for coming up - again - with a wonderful recipe.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #139
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
I habitually make all bread doughs in my cusinart; I'm an old time hc bread baker. I think using a food processor is quick and easy. In this case, I think it also leads to a better texture. As I said, my dough was not sticky at all.

Process for the food processor - I have the largest cuisinart (non commercial 11 cups)

[COLOR="Red"]Use metal blade.[/COLOR]
Okay .. I'm such a processor dummy .. I have a huge Cusinart processor that was given to me a couple of years ago as a gift. I rarely use it as its usually too big for the quickie things I do. However, after reading your comments, I've dragged it out of storage.

Ummm... you said "Metal Blade" .. can you describe it? I've got two different metal blades with mine. One has two "arms" and the other has four "arms" with the ends bend up/down. Not sure which blade I should use.

Sorry if this is a really silly question, like I said, I almost never use this processor, and it has about a billion gadgets that go with it. Just want to be sure I use the right "gadget".

TIA
"Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away." - Tom Clancy[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]"The best diet is the one you're not on"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Magenta"] Kickin' The Last 10 To The Curb Challenge 01/08/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 [COLOR="Magenta"]132[/COLOR] 131 130 129 [COLOR="red"] 128 [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
The Kitchen Aid I was using is a new one. With this (and some other recipes I've done) it sort of bumps up and down a little unless I hold it down (and would perhaps start walking across the counter if I let it).
I ran into the same problem, was holding the swinghead down when -- suddenly! -- I remembered the lever on the far side, opposite the speed lever, that I never use, the head locking lever. I pulled that one forward and there was a LOT less bumping and counter travelling.

Funny, eh? Of course, this was the first time I actually used the dough hook on the darn thing, and I've had it for 4 or 5 years now, I think... :blush:

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
Okay .. I'm such a processor dummy .. I have a huge Cusinart processor that was given to me a couple of years ago as a gift. I rarely use it as its usually too big for the quickie things I do. However, after reading your comments, I've dragged it out of storage.

Ummm... you said "Metal Blade" .. can you describe it? I've got two different metal blades with mine. One has two "arms" and the other has four "arms" with the ends bend up/down. Not sure which blade I should use.

Sorry if this is a really silly question, like I said, I almost never use this processor, and it has about a billion gadgets that go with it. Just want to be sure I use the right "gadget".

TIA
I'm pretty sure the 2-arm blade is the 'standard' blade. The 4-arm one with the tips going up and down sounds like a whipping blade, like for whipping cream and such.

By the way, my old-school Cuisinart food processor, real basic with a pretty large capacity, came with 2 2-arm "blades", one made of plastic with shorter arms (and of course, more dull ) -- this blade is intended for working pastry and dough, as I understand it, rather than the metal blade which cuts the dough rather than mixing or kneading it...like I said, old school.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 AM   #142

I also have an old school 11 cup large basic Cuisinart food processor that only came with 2 non-slicing blades. Like Jude, I think Zuleikaa is talking about the blade on the right below.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #143
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

My 11 cup Kitchenaid processor is less than a year old and it has the same two blades Kevin pictured. I've never used the plastic one. Guess they haven't progressed much over the years.

Everyone's taste is different--we liked both but thought the texture was best on the Carbalose verison--Guess you have to try both to pick your favorite.

I made hot dog buns using the Carbalose version yest and they turned out great. I made 6 large buns which was perfect for the quarter pound angus beef hot dogs I had. We had this with LindaSue's Coney Island Chili. One per person was plenty. Nothing beats the real thing.

Last edited by jackieba; 12-17-2006 at 07:38 AM..
Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My 11 cup Kitchenaid processor is less than a year old and it has the same two blades Kevin pictured. I've never used the plastic one. Guess they haven't progressed much over the years.

Everyone's taste is different--we liked both but thought the texture was best on the Carbalose verison--Guess you have to try both to pick your favorite.

I made hot dog buns using the Carbalose version yest and they turned out great. I made 6 large buns which was perfect for the quarter pound angus beef hot dogs I had. We had this with LindaSue's Coney Island Chili. One per person was plenty. Nothing beats the real thing.

What pan did you use to get such beautiful buns???? IMWTK!
Old 12-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Kevin,

For those of us waiting for Netrition to restock on resistant wheat starch, do you know what we could use as a sub?
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
Kevin,

For those of us waiting for Netrition to restock on resistant wheat starch, do you know what we could use as a sub?
Sorry Diana I do not know of a sub. The 260 which is made from corn, although it is a resistant starch it has much different properties from the 70 and can not subbed without major differences to the end product.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post

TIA
Sorry, I said 11 cup. After checking I have the 14 cup.

It's the 2-armed metal blade on the right that Kevin pictured.

My Cuisinart stays on my counter. I use it for everything except beating egg whites and whipping cream. I wound up giving my big Kitchen Aid mixer away.

Last edited by Zuleikaa; 12-17-2006 at 06:06 PM..
Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #148
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Thanks Kevin and Zule

I've dragged out the Cuisinart. Man, this thing is huge!! I'm sure it'll be great for making the bread, but I can't see using it for small jobs. I use a mini Black and Decker chopper for my small food prep needs and have recently added a Bullet (which I'm not really thrilled with, don't see what all the "hype" was about). Neither one of these is gonna help with the bread though, so I'm glad I held on to the Cuisinart.

Thanks for the help and info
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
I ran into the same problem, was holding the swinghead down when -- suddenly! -- I remembered the lever on the far side, opposite the speed lever, that I never use, the head locking lever. I pulled that one forward and there was a LOT less bumping and counter travelling.

Funny, eh? Of course, this was the first time I actually used the dough hook on the darn thing, and I've had it for 4 or 5 years now, I think... :blush:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that lever; will check it the next time the Kitchen Aid is used.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #150
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Magnamater,
I used a 8x11 glass baking dish (I line it with quick release foil for easy cleanup). I divided the dough into 6 balls and rolled out 4" wide x 6" long then rolled them up jelly roll style and pinched the seams to seal. I experimented with rolling shorter than 6" long but they still spread out to the same length (but rolling to 6" gave a prettier bun). They make hot dog bun pans but I don't have one.