Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
I thought I was the only one who tried to scoop out the wrong/or wrong measure of ingredients! I feel so much better now.
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/132/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Simple Carbquik White Bread I was impressed with the taste of this bread.

* 3/4 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 large eggs
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbquik
* 1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tsp. guar gum
* 2 Tsp. Xanthan gum
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and kneaded with the hook for 4 to 5 min.
Then turned the dough into a glass bread dish, cover and let rise for 1 to 2 hours in a warm draft free place till dough doubles. The dough will be quite sticky.

When dough doubles in size bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

This is a lighter and more tender bread than the Carbalose version.

24 carbs @ 16 slices ......1.5 carbs per slice.

I made the OP bread recipe this morning but with CarbQuik instead of Carbalose by mistake and since it was already all mixed together I couldn't remove anything and certainly wasn't going to throw it out. I found out by hand kneading the dough and found all those little bits of shortening....

Guess we shall see how it turns out. It's rising nicely!

Last edited by ClikChik; 11-23-2006 at 08:19 AM..
ClikChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/132/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
ewwww...nope, don't anyone make that mistake!
ClikChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:56 AM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma View Post
I made this recipe Friday (adding a heaping tsp. crushed garlic, a handful of parm cheese & a few savory spices to the dough) and shaped half into a "log". After it baked I sliced thinly & re-baked it (per Kevin's biscotti instructions)....and oh my! what wonderful little melba-toast type crackers!they're crisp & golden & hold up beautifully under spreads, with salads & for dipping (Costco's jalapeno artichoke dip is outrageously good!) I got over 32 3" x 1" crackers that weigh in at only a half carb each! Great tasting recipe, Kevin...and versatile too!
I used this idea to make my stuffing this year and baked the herbs right into the bread. I had great reviews from everyone. Thanks bigmomma!
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
Kevin,
I have been watching this thread as I have a recipe I am trying to perfect and it keeps falling!! I keep changing things and some are better, but the last one fell to 1 inch. Yikes!!

So, I have a question. The WPI 8000 is a replacement for the vital wheat glutin. I am trying to make a bread without the chewiness and springiness of the vital wheat glutin that would still have the strength to rise and stay risen. Will the WPI 8000 do that for me?

Thank you so much for being a resource for all of us "Chef Wanabees."

Bev

Last edited by eshlemania; 11-24-2006 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: misspelling
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Kevin, do you think I could substitute resistant corn starch for the resistant wheat starch? They seem to have very similar properties, though the corn starch is higher in carbs. What do you think?
hirezmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshlemania View Post
Kevin,
I have been watching this thread as I have a recipe I am trying to perfect and it keeps falling!! I keep changing things and some are better, but the last one fell to 1 inch. Yikes!!

So, I have a question. The WPI 8000 is a replacement for the vital wheat glutin. I am trying to make a bread without the chewiness and springiness of the vital wheat glutin that would still have the strength to rise and stay risen. Will the WPI 8000 do that for me?

Thank you so much for being a resource for all of us "Chef Wanabees."

Bev
Bev, let me ask you. In your recipe are you proofing your yeast.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezmary View Post
Kevin, do you think I could substitute resistant corn starch for the resistant wheat starch? They seem to have very similar properties, though the corn starch is higher in carbs. What do you think?
Mary, I have used the resistant corn starch by accident and did not like the results but never with this recipe. Generally I have been finding out that this is a rather forgiving recipe so I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
I am not sure how to proof the yeast. But I don't think the yeast is the problem. Because before I lowered the amount of yeast I was using, the bread would rise way high and would have large holes in it. Yesterday, I looked at your recipe again and saw that you had done what I was thinking of doing,added baking powder. I did that yesterday and got some wonderfully risen bread. The loaf didn't fall!! I am planning to cut back on the baking pdr next time, cause it rose really high and I think I will have large holes in the bread again. I also added an egg. I have gotten my vital wheat gluten down to 1/4 C, but the bread still has that chewiness and stretchiness that I would like to get rid of. So, again my question is will the WPI 8000 do that for me? I am thinking of getting some anyway, cause of the lower carbs.

Thank you so much,
Bev
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
I followed the recipe exactly except I didnt have reistant wheat starch, so I used resistant corn startch. The results are very good, especially for the carb count. I did the CQ version. Only small negative is that I wish it would have risen a bit more. I'm thinking I should have worked the dough longer maybe? But the results were still very good. I ended up making 6 large rolls. The bread is very filling as well. Its about 5 p.m. here, and after having a hamburger on a roll for lunch, I dont think I'll be wanting anymore to eat today. Still stuffed.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:30 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I'm having the same results with the bread being filling!!! Don't you just love it????

I can eat a pb&j and feel full!!!! Never happened in my regular days!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #102
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
I made a loaf and it turned out very good--rose very well (my 9x5x3" loaf pan was only about 1/3 full to start but it rose above the top of the pan in an hour), good taste and texture. I did the CQ version since it's a bit lower in carbs and I wanted a light bread. I let my bread machine do the mixing/kneading as I always do.

My problem is apparently I don't know how to slice fresh bread. I let it cool and used a bread knife but my slicing was uneven and when I got to the last quarter I had a hard time holding it firm enough to slice. Do you use an electric knife or is it just a talent? But I have to admit I never could draw a straight line either. If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up. I rarely ever made loaf bread even in the high carb days but when I did, we just pulled it apart and ate it in one meal (no wonder we gained weight!). I never would have thought to use Carbquik for yeast bread or to add baking powder to yeast bread for that matter. We had a breakfast sandwich this morning and it was very good.

Since I'm use to weighing everything, I measured twice and weighed each. I found out my different measuring cups measure differently so I just settled on one (they didn't match what the packages imply the amount/weight would be either). But since it turned out well, I now have weights to work with.

Thanks Kevin. Wish I had your creative talents.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Jackieba, I have the same problem trying to slice bread. I bought a "bread slicing guide". It is kind of like a box with no lid and only one end. The sides are slotted about 1/2" apart. You put the loaf of bread in it and place your knife in the slots and slice awy. Voila! Even slices all the way to the end. You can google "bread slicing guide" and find several different kinds/brands.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshields View Post
Jackieba, I have the same problem trying to slice bread. I bought a "bread slicing guide". It is kind of like a box with no lid and only one end. The sides are slotted about 1/2" apart. You put the loaf of bread in it and place your knife in the slots and slice awy. Voila! Even slices all the way to the end. You can google "bread slicing guide" and find several different kinds/brands.
Hope this helps.
OMG now that you mention that Jeanne I remember making 1 of those back in junior high shop class......
Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
They also have the plastic type bread slicing guides at Walmart for cheap. I use mine all the time. In fact, I'm on my second one.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 AM   #106
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks. That bread slicing guide sounds like just what I need.

I've only made the CQ one. How do the two compare--the first recipe has alot of wpi8000 so is it more like french bread in texture?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:44 AM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
Thanks. That bread slicing guide sounds like just what I need.

I've only made the CQ one. How do the two compare--the first recipe has alot of wpi8000 so is it more like french bread in texture?
Yes it is a heavier bread.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kingcynl
Kevin, I don't have a mixer with dough hooks and such. Short of buying one what would be the next best way to make this bread. Thanks in advance for your help and all the work you do. You are amazing. Cindy
kingcynl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #109
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

You can always do it the old fashioned way--mix the ingredients and knead by hand. Same basic procedure without the equipment --mixing dry ingredients together, mix wet together then adding dry to wet and stirring well then knead. If you've never kneaded before, you put the dough on a lightly floured surface (with sticky dough I'd spray the suface with PAM and then lightly flour) and flour your hands, press the dough with the heel of your hand pushing away from you, then fold it over on itself, make a quarter turn and do it again, continuing on for the prescribed amount of time (you end up with a smooth sightly shiny surface--you should be able to press it with your finger and the indentation will remain). I use to do bread all by hand years ago, I'm just spoiled now. They were making bread long before we had mixers and breadmachines.

Last edited by jackieba; 11-30-2006 at 12:21 PM..
Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcynl View Post
Kevin, I don't have a mixer with dough hooks and such. Short of buying one what would be the next best way to make this bread. Thanks in advance for your help and all the work you do. You are amazing. Cindy
I'm not sure what kind of mixer you have Cindy but if I didn't have the dough hook I would most likely just use the normal paddle to mix and knead.

Otherwise I'd do like Jackie said and knead it by hand a couple of minutes.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #111
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

If your mixer is the older kind that has two beaters instead of the paddle like Kevin shows, it can be used to when mixing the dry into the wet until it starts getting stiff then the mixer probably won't help anymore (atleast mine wouldn't). The last bit of dry would have to be mixed in by hand and the kneading done by hand. Kitchenaid mixers like Kevin has are pretty powerful, mine is an older cheaper mixer and it is not in the same league.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davem
Hi Jackie,

I wonder if you could post the weights you came up with for the successful loaf you made. I like to measure by weight and my attempt came out with a very loose dough. It never formed a ball in the mixer, the dough hook just stirred around in it like it was pudding.

I kind of poured it into the pan and smeared it flat. It rose well, but it fell in the oven and the baked texture is almost identical to corn bread. Not good at all for sandwiches, but I've been slicing carefully and toasting in the toaster oven. It's not bad that way, but falls apart easily.

The first loaf I've made twice with success and I love it. Thanks Kevin! It is a heavy bread, kind of like a deli rye.

Thanks,
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #113
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
[QUOTE=jlshields;7775025]

I used the "oat bread" recipe and subbed rye flour for the ground oats. I also added 1 TBS caraway seed for 1 TBS of the flax meal. The bread turned out great. I think it could use a little more rye taste so next time I might sub rye flour for the flaxmeal also.

Did you make this recipe again, using more rye flour? I really miss "patty melts" using rye bread.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #114
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Here's what I used:

33 grams WPI 8000
140 grams Carbquik
78 grams WPI 5000
16 grams Resistant Wheat Starch

I'm going to try the first bread too (a heavier bread would be good for reubens--I love rye but rye flour has too many carbs for me- or maybe cut thick for french toast). So if you did weigh that one, please let me know what you used. Thanks.

Jackie
Old 12-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,

I have not made it again with more rye. I think that the rey in quantities I used only added about 1 gm carb per serving. That is what I seem to remember, but I have slept since then.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Jackie. We're not that far off so maybe I screwed up on liquid. I am subbing because of missing ingredients, VWG for the WPI 8000 and 1T of not/Sugar in place of the gums.

Here's what I used on the original recipe twice with great results. I'm going to make another tonight for french toast tomorrow.

90 g VWG (in place of WPI 8000)
100 g Carbalose
48 g WPI 5000
37 g resistant wheat starch 70
Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #117
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Dave.
I subbed 1 Tbsp not starch for the gums too.
Did you use more VWG in place of the WPI 8000 since it's lower in protein? I'm asking because I use about 25-30% more VWG when subbing for WPI 8000.

Last edited by jackieba; 12-02-2006 at 09:09 AM..
Old 12-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #118
Junior LCF Member

No, I didn't think to do that. Was your dough for the Carbquik version tight enough to form a ball?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #119
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yes, the Carbquik version did just fine for me. I let my bread machine do the mixing/kneading but it did form a ball. I'm going to make another batch of bread today and I'm torn between repeating the Carbquik version or trying the Carbalose version. Guess I'll try the other one to see which we prefer.

The only thing I can think of that would act like yours did is too much liquid.
But I used what the recipe called for with no problems. Maybe you accidentally put in more than you thought.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #120
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

jlshields,
is the recipe you used for your rye bread here and I just didn't see it (I looked for oat bread recipe but couldn't find it)?