Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #1111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Thanks a lot. I addd a little more mix and it seemed to come back together and then kneaded okay.

I know part of this is lack of practice, all the reading/understanding in the world is nothing compared to hands-on. And I'm still at the easily-panicked stage.

I split the end result in half and I'm doing a 'draft-free' rise in the oven in a loaf pan for half, and a cold rise in a bowl in the fridge for the other half, as a learning experience.

(I love fall and being able to cook again, but it's probably just as well for my weight loss that I have a natural instinct for roasting big hunks o'meat and not that much talent with dough. )

Last edited by Perdita; 10-04-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #1112
Senior LCF Member

Does a heavy, dense loaf mean I didn't let it rise long enough?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #1113
Senior LCF Member

One last update...it was actually fine, I was wrong about it being dense, the crust was just firm when I tapped it.

I was really worried during the knead because the carbalose smell was so strong, and I figured it would be a practice run only...but after baking the smell faded and the taste is fine, husband and I ate a out a third of the loaf standing in the kitchen. (not having had bread in months also does wonders for this loaf).

Anyway, thanks Kevin, if you ever revisit this thread, and experimenters.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #1114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
So glad it turned out well for you!!! Yes, they do usually have a pretty firm crust.

I make a tweaked version of the #4 bread weekly. They turn out different every time I make them. Some do turn out pretty dense, and some very light. (I tweak to make it more like a whole wheat bread. It isn't whole wheat, but tastes more like it. I add wheat bran & flax meal. The #4 is the only one I've been able to tweak this way successfully. I'm happy with it, and continue to make it. I prefer the wheat bread taste (& fiber) to white.)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #1115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Crazy, You are one of the people we were looking for! Could you come over to the "lc yeast bread experiment" thread and share some tweaks??

Last edited by drjlocarb; 10-05-2010 at 09:04 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #1116
Major LCF Poster!

I looked, and I couldn't find it!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #1117
Major LCF Poster!

I tried cutting & pasting exactly what you typed ("lc yeast bread experiment"), and this is the only thread that came up. I changed it to "low carb yeast bread experiment". Got nothing! dropped the lc, again did not find where you're wanting me to post.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bumped it for you.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #1119
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! Found it and posted.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #1120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steelerfan2010
Hi all,
I bought a bread machine for the express reason of making LC bread. I tried Bob's Red Mill, and didn't like it too much (had a flax taste and I hate flax). Anyway, I was following this thread and a couple people mentioned bread machines but nothing too specific.

So my question - anybody have any tips on getting these recipes (especially Kevin's) to work in a bread machine?

Or, does anyone know of a premade LC bread mix other than Bob's Red Mill?

One more Q... Using the bread recipes that came with my machine, has anyone tried to do a simple replacement using Carbalose for the flour? I haven't had the guts to try it but was thinking of giving it a shot.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Rob
steelerfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #1121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well....The bread machines don't work so well unless yours has a low carb setting. Some here have had luck with mixing and kneading in the machine, then taking the dough out and rising and baking. Most LC bread can not go through 2 rises before baking.

Here is link to the bread I have had luck with using Kevins thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...periments.html

AND... to the boards.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #1122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steelerfan2010
Thanks for the prompt reply. It's funny, but the thread you mentioned has two LC bread machine recipes that I am going to try.

Thanks,
Rob
steelerfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #1123
Major LCF Poster!

rob, I think you will be greatly disappointed if you try to make bread (bread machine or not) with just Carbalose!!! If the recipes you found don't turn out for you, you MIGHT try subbing out Kevin's flour mix (his last one) for the flour in your recipe. Or try mixing/kneading it in the machine, as was mentioned above, and then taking forming, placing in a loaf pan, rising, and baking. Different people like the different recipes better.
Kevin's newest is here: #135
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #1124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Bumping
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #1125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
Indian Fry Bread/ Chalupa

So, I had an experimenting day in the kitchen today and amongst them, was Kevin's carbquick roll recipe. The rolls are still in progress (rising) so I can't comment, but I also used some of the dough to try and make fry bread.

The only change I made was that I used glucomannan instead of thickenthin not sugar. 2 capsules of 665mg for the whole recipe.

I took a small bit of dough (a little larger than a walnut but slightly smaller than a golf ball ) and rolled it out pretty thin between two ziplock bags (won't stick that way, even when you go REALLY thin)

The best ones were probably about 1/8 inch thick. I just kept on stacking them on top of each other. Then I let them sit on the counter while the oil heated up. I just put about 2 inches of oil in a small sauce pan and as soon as the test tiny dough ball started to show frying action, I lowered one in.
They only took maybe half a minute on each side and they got darker quicker than the regular indian fry bread, but other than that it acted much the same way. Got nice an crispy on the outside, with a chewy "bready" part inside.
I'd show you photos but I never got that far. The kids ate THE LOT in no time flat

There was a bit of a carbalose taste all by itself, but as soon as you put something else with it, like sugar not and cinnamon or taco meat, sour cream etc Or even just the sugar free strawberry jam I made earlier this morning. The kids just kept on dipping it in the taster dish while it was nice and crispy.
That's the other thing. The dough gets soggy quick once it's out of the oil, so consume pretty much immediately!

If you roll it out REALLY thin, so it starts to be transparent almost and fry it, it gets to be really crispy and even though darker than one would expect, not at all burnt tasting. A lot like a potato crisp in crispyness!

Those do stay pretty crisp even later and if you have the need for something crunchy, that would be it

I kept on thinking of cutting it all into triangles prior to frying and then sprinkling them with a little "sugar" and cinnamon. Possibly serving them with that heavenly pumpkin dip recipe I have stashed away somewhere.

Anyway, long rambling story short ... it's really nice as a fry bread!

And each fry bread (think the size of the taco bell chalupa) would come to less than one carb!
Phos4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #1126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like you had some great fun today. Thanks for the experimentation. Always good to see new stuff made with old stuff.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #1127
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarboMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
When I was making these buns and got the dough to a rollable state I kept thinking that it reminded me of another dough I had made in the past but it didn't come to me right then.
This morning when I was deciding what to make for lunch......it hit me like a ton of bricks.

So I made a batch of this dough to the point of the directions above and split the dough in half wraped part and refridgerated it.

The other half I stretched out onto a 12 pizza pan, topped with sauce, pepperoni, and cheese.

Then in a preheated 425 oven I baked it for 15 to 20 min.....closer to 15.

Low and behold....LQQK what I found.........

Can you spell Pepperoni Pizza for 2.5 carbs per slice.

Can someone help me out here, for 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack, is it really necessary for so little splenda? Also is this the granulated kind that sold in a big bag, or the packets for coffee? Sorry if this has been asked before somewhere in this massive thread.
LowCarboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #1128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
hey, Lowcarboman...& welcome! Splenda quick paks are no longer sold but they were small, pre-measured envelopes that I think contained about a tsp. of concentrated product but sweetened like one cup of Splenda so 1/8 tsp. in Kevin's recipe should be equal to about 2 TB of regular Splenda if my math is correct...hth!

Last edited by bigmomma; 06-20-2012 at 10:17 AM..
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #1129
Junior LCF Member

@bigmomma

Thank you kindly for responding so quick. Just placed my order at netrition, hoping to make some of this pizza soon.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #1130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarboMan View Post
Can someone help me out here, for 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack, is it really necessary for so little splenda? Also is this the granulated kind that sold in a big bag, or the packets for coffee? Sorry if this has been asked before somewhere in this massive thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma View Post
hey, Lowcarboman...& welcome! Splenda quick paks are no longer sold but they were small, pre-measured envelopes that I think contained about a tsp. of concentrated product but sweetened like one cup of Splenda so 1/8 tsp. in Kevin's recipe should be equal to about 2 TB of regular Splenda if my math is correct...hth!
That is what I would use IF I were to use Granular Splenda (I personally don't use it, tho I do still have some of the Quick Pack that I still use). 1/8 cup or 2 TBsp sugar or Splenda equivalent.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1131
Junior LCF Member

@crazywoman-n-wy

Why wouldn't you use granular splenda and would you recommend using a different type of artificial sweetner?

Also I need additional help, *1/2 cup warm CC milk* What is CC milk? Creme something?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #1132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I make this pizza based on kevinpa's final flour blend -- in fact I use the dough for huge, light hamburger buns, too. I don't use the splenda quick pack or the carb countdown milk.
the link below shows how I make the pizza dough without those ingredients. I also sub xanthan or guar gum for the sugar not.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...za-anyone.html
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #1133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarboMan View Post
@crazywoman-n-wy

Why wouldn't you use granular splenda and would you recommend using a different type of artificial sweetner?

Also I need additional help, *1/2 cup warm CC milk* What is CC milk? Creme something?
Sorry I'm so late responding. I haven't been able to be on the internet much lately.

Acutally it is just a personal thing with me. I just don't use granular Splenda anymore. Too many carbs in it form the Maltodetrin. If you use it then there is nothing wrong with using it. Sorry for the confusion!
I do have a stock of the Quick pack, and do use some of that, but unless you have some, that isn't an option. I also often use liquid sucralose (ezsweetz or similar).
I often use Erythritol. But again, if you use Splenda, it will be fine here.

CC milk is Hood Calorie Countdown or originally Carb Countdown.
Personally I usually use 1 TBsp cream plus enough water to make 1/2 cup to sub for milk or cc milk. (1/8 cup cream plus water per cup.)

Hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #1134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
pumpernickel bread from kevin's carbquik recipe

I took kevin's original carbquik wihite bread recipe and adapted it to make a dark rye (pumpernickel) bread. Here is the recipe. There is no rye flour in it, of course, but the caraway makes it taste like rye bread.

Pumpernickel Bread

1/2 Tsp. salt
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
2 cups Carbquik
1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
2 Tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 tsp Thick it Up
˝ tsp glucomannan powder
2 Tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup ground pecans
1 Tbsp black strap molasses (0 carbs…sugar eaten by yeast)
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp yeast
2 tsp whole caraway seeds
˝ tsp ground caraway seed*
*NOTE: You can use 1 tbsp whole caraway seed, but the ground seed is a more intense flavor that mixes all through the bread. I grind mine in a coffee grinder.

AS equal to 1/2 cup sugar (I use liquid splenda)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

Set the breadmaker to the rapid rise (single rise) setting, and manual mode.
or make in a mixer with the dough hook.

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker.
Then put the wet ingredients in an mixing bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients well. Warm them in the microwave

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients. It will appear two wet, but will firm up after a few minutes and form a ball. Dough will be soft.

When the manual cycle completes, form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. Watch it closely, it rises fast. When dough doubles in size bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

3 grams carb per 1/2 inch slice.

(I actually slice this thinner with my electric slicer, getting between 20 and 22 slices per loaf. Put the bread in the refrigerator overnight before slicing with an electric slicer to make it firmer and easier to slice)
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #1135
Junior LCF Member

"Whole Wheat" bread from Kevin's carbquik recipe

I took Kevin's original carbquik recipe and adapted it to make a bread that is very like whole wheat bread. I add 3/4 cup finely ground pecans to the mix which gives it a nutty, wheatbread taste. I also add 1/4 cup wheat bran, but it is good without it. It adds 1/2 gram per 1/2 inch slice.

Wheat Bread

1/2 Tsp. salt
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 0g carb
2 cups Carbquik 12g carb
1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 0g carb
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75 2g carb
3/4 cup ground pecans 4g carb
1/4 cup wheat bran (optional) 8g carb
1 tsp Thick it Up 0g carb
˝ tsp glucomannan powder 0g carb
2 Tsp. baking powder 2.5g carb
1 tbsp sugar 0g carb (eaten by yeast)
1 tbsp yeast 2g carb

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream 1.5g carb
2 large eggs 0.7g carb
AS equal to 1/4 cup sugar
I used liquid splenda 0g carb
Total carbs per loaf 32.7g

16 1/2" slices per loaf 2g per slice

Set the breadmaker to manual mode. or make it in a mixer or by hand.

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker.

Then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients well. Warm them in the microwave 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients. Dough will be too soft at first, but will firm up and make a ball after it kneads for a few minutes.

Don't let the dough rise in the breadmaker. Take it out as soon as the knead cycle ends and form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. It rises fast...between 20 and 30 minutes. If you let it rise twice it will ruin it. . My breadmaker has a “turbo mode” that has only one rise cycle. I can bake this bread start to finish in the breadmaker using the turbo mode but I like the shape of the loaves better when baked in a pan.

When dough doubles in size bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. Turn out on to a rack to cool.

(I actually slice this thinner with my electric slicer, getting between 20 and 22 slices per loaf. Put the bread in the refrigerator overnight before slicing with an electric slicer to make it firmer and easier to slice)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #1136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They both sound good. I might try this today with the pecan meal.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #1137
Junior LCF Member

new wpi 5000

Has anyone else notice that they seem to have changed the formula for the wpi 5000? It is denser and heavier, more like the 8000. I have had to reduce the volume to maintain the same weight of flour in my recipes.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #1138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Has anyone else notice that they seem to have changed the formula for the wpi 5000? It is denser and heavier, more like the 8000. I have had to reduce the volume to maintain the same weight of flour in my recipes.
No, what do you mean?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #1139
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
No, what do you mean?
I emailed the supplier, and they confirmed that the wpi 5000 formula has changed. The serving size is in grams, and kevinpa's recipes were in cups. I weighed one cup of the old wpi 5000, then weighed a cup of the new formula. It was TWICE as heavy. I cut the amount of wpi 5000 in half in the recipes and they worked perfectly.

So the conversion is 1/2 the volume of wpi 5000 in recipes before 2012. The new formula came out in Feb of 2012. I had just bought six bags, so it was around Christmas that I reordered. I still had a bag of the old stuff and it was WAY different. So I emailed and asked. They said the formulas were the same IF YOU MEASURED BY WEIGHT, not cups.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #1140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.