Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #1021
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Kevin, when the Carbalose C&C flour Mix is subbed for the other ingredients, does it sitll need the Not/sugar, since there is also not/sugar in the mix?
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #1022
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Kevin, when the Carbalose C&C flour Mix is subbed for the other ingredients, does it sitll need the Not/sugar, since there is also not/sugar in the mix?
Billie, this is the recipe I use most of the time now when making loaves now. As you can see any not/sugar is already built into the mix.

* 1 cup warm water
* 2 large eggs
* 2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 4 cup cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)
* 1 tsp. sugar
* 2 tsp. rapid rise yeast

Mix dry into wet.
Rest dough 20 minutes.
Knead for 15 minutes.
Divide dough into 2 even loaves.
Rise dough until doubled.
25 minutes @350 degrees

Remmber though I use about 6 different recipe depending on my mood or what I am using it for.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #1023
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Kevin!!!! I really appreciate all your experimenting, your recipies, and your taking the time to answer all our posts!!!!

One thing that has puzzled me (this coming from the one who has to leave out part of the liquid in he original recipe or it is way too wet), is that 4 cups dry is a LOT more than the original ingredients, yet the wet ingredients are the same. I was thinking that when I read Steph's ingredients (which maye she got from one of your recipes). Just struck me as odd. But I'm by no means a baker. And your low carb bread (the #4 actually) was the first yeast bread I have ever been successful with!

I didn't think it needed the not/sugar added since it was already in the mix. But wanted to make sure.

Again

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #1024
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
One thing that has puzzled me (this coming from the one who has to leave out part of the liquid in he original recipe or it is way too wet), is that 4 cups dry is a LOT more than the original ingredients, yet the wet ingredients are the same.
Don't forget the eggs. Eggs combined with the water and oil adds a whole new viscosity to the dough.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #1025
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=black]I didn't forget the eggs. I'm comparing it to the #4 cause the recipe seems almost the same except subbing the CC mix (and using olive oil instead of butter. It (#4) has 2 eggs. The liquid here is the same (again except for the oil), it just has more dry ingredients. [/COLOR]
As I said, I've never been able to use all the liquid called for in the recipe anyway, but I just thought it odd that this has more dry.

Oh well, if it works!!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #1026
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erichb1
Kevin:

Can you post a link to your:

cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)

please.

Thanks,
Erich
erichb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #1027
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichb1 View Post
Kevin:

Can you post a link to your:

cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)

please.

Thanks,
Erich
Here it is:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post10003159
Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #1028
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erichb1
Thank you very much Kevin.

Erich
erichb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #1029
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Billie, this is the recipe I use most of the time now when making loaves now. As you can see any not/sugar is already built into the mix.

* 1 cup warm water
* 2 large eggs
* 2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 4 cup cake and cookie flour mix (carbalose version)
* 1 tsp. sugar
* 2 tsp. rapid rise yeast

Mix dry into wet.
Rest dough 20 minutes.
Knead for 15 minutes.
Divide dough into 2 even loaves.
Rise dough until doubled.
25 minutes @350 degrees

Remmber though I use about 6 different recipe depending on my mood or what I am using it for.

hoping anyone that has made loaves of bread can answer this question since I am not experienced at bread making Mine is is the bread machine kneading right now

after you remove the dough from mixer (after kneading is complete)... do you just "plop" each ball of dough into a greased loaf pan OR do you sort of "stretch/slightly pull it" to somewhat fit into the pan PRIOR to letting it rise? ALSO... do most of you do a cold rise or stick it in an oven free of drafts to rise? Thanks for input
Julie

Last edited by Motts Landing; 03-11-2008 at 09:16 AM..
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #1030
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motts Landing View Post
hoping anyone that has made loaves of bread can answer this question since I am not experienced at bread making Mine is is the bread machine kneading right now

after you remove the dough from mixer (after kneading is complete)... do you just "plop" each ball of dough into a greased loaf pan OR do you sort of "stretch/slightly pull it" to somewhat fit into the pan PRIOR to letting it rise? ALSO... do most of you do a cold rise or stick it in an oven free of drafts to rise? Thanks for input
Julie
I remove the dough from the bread machine and shape into loaves that will fit into my pans which are 8 1/2 x 4 1/2. I don't grease my pans since they are non-stick, but I DO grease the top of the loaf and place it into a slightly warm oven to rise. Once it's about 1-2" above the rim of the pan, I preheat the oven and then bake it. So far, this has worked very well for me, but it's just MY way of handling the dough.

Last edited by RVcook; 03-11-2008 at 09:27 AM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #1031
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Julie
Julie, I shape my loaves a bit. Stretching it and folding it under to give it a nice tight skin. It makes for a prettier loaf but it will work without doing that.

Most times I do the draftfree rise unless I am making a pizza type dough. Then i do a cold rise because I think in the end it allows you to stretch out the dough thinner without blowing out.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #1032
Senior LCF Member

thanks to both of you (RVcook & Kevin) for taking time to reply!

Kevin...I can't quite wrap my head around shaping, stretching & tucking ends under:blush: but your loaves sure turn out pretty! Are you kind of rolling it into a loaf shape? I stretched it best I could but never could get what looked like a tight skin...oh well....cannot get tight skin on my body either It has risen above the top of the pan after 1 hour but I am hoping it will fill out a bit more before I bake it. If it tastes as good as your pita bread (rolls)...then I will be a happy camper
Thanks
Julie
Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #1033
Senior LCF Member

HI...it's me again with another question.
I saw in another post that the carb count for 1 cup of the Low carb CARBALOSE flour mixture is 12 carbs/cup.

My question then is...if using the recipe submitted in post # 1023, what is the TOTAL carb count for 1 WHOLE loaf of bread and is there fiber to be subtracted for a net carb figure?

Also: TOTAL calorie count for an entire loaf (I cut the recipe in half to make only a single loaf)...(I can divide it up per slice when I figure out how many slices I will get out of it)

Is the 12 carbs per cup (carbalose mixture) NET or TOTAL?

I am trying to make correct notes on my recipe. Thanks once again for any help.
Julie
Old 03-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #1034
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
HI...it's me again with another question.
I saw in another post that the carb count for 1 cup of the Low carb CARBALOSE flour mixture is 12 carbs/cup.

My question then is...if using the recipe submitted in post # 1023, what is the TOTAL carb count for 1 WHOLE loaf of bread and is there fiber to be subtracted for a net carb figure?

Also: TOTAL calorie count for an entire loaf (I cut the recipe in half to make only a single loaf)...(I can divide it up per slice when I figure out how many slices I will get out of it)

Is the 12 carbs per cup (carbalose mixture) NET or TOTAL?

I am trying to make correct notes on my recipe. Thanks once again for any help.
Julie
The flour mix is 12 carbs net.

For 1 loaf of the post 1023 bread it is:

Calories: 868.41
Calories From Fat: 304.27
Total Fat: 38.25g
Saturated Fat: 3.18g
Total Carbohydrates: 78.38g
Fiber: 49.74g
Protein: 87.92g

HTH
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #1035
Senior LCF Member

Sure does!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #1036
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post

Is this the recipe you used for the loaf in your avatar picture? also, so I'm clear on this, you let the dough rest 20 minutes and then knead it 15?

Debbie
Tater Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #1037
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
Is this the recipe you used for the loaf in your avatar picture? also, so I'm clear on this, you let the dough rest 20 minutes and then knead it 15?

Debbie
Yes it i debbie.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #1038
Major LCF Poster!

I did some "speramentin" today. I have never had luck using Kevin's bake mix to make bread. I know he and others have, but I haven't. At least they way I like to make it. I like some bran in mine rather than just plain white bread (I realize that is what he was after - white bread). Anyway, I decided to see if I could make up a premix to mix it up in a big batch, and put in bags, rather than mixing the batches up for each bag. (Could also be put in a container & measured out per batch.)

So, I did! Sure am glad it worked out well, cause that sure was a lot of ingredients.

I actually made burger buns today using one "batch" of the mix rather than a loaf, as that is what I needed. I got 10 burger buns (of varying sizes because of what pans I had available to use). It might have stretched to 12 buns, but I didn't try.

Here is my Pre-Mix:

#4 Bread 5 -loaf pre-mix
Kevinís #4 Carbalose white bread w/tweaks by Billie (wheat bran & flaxmeal)

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons VWG
7 cups Carbalose
5 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons WPI 5000 (I think Iíll change to 5 3/4 cups maybe 6)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Resistant Wheat Starch 70 or 75
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon not/sugar or not/starch
4 tablespoons Baking powder
2 tablespoons Sugar
4 tablespoons Instant Yeast (3 - 4)
1 tablespoon Inulin (scant) (optional)
1 Splenda Quick Pack
2 1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 1/4 cups Wheat Bran
1 1/4 cups Flaxseed Meal

Mix together & divide into 5 mixes. (3 Ĺ cups each) Makes 5 loaves.

[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]

Maybe because I didnít measure carefully, I didnít have quite enough dry mixture for the 5 mixes. So may need to add more WPI 5000 to mix. Also some may need to add more anyway as I didnít use the "extra" 3/4 cup per "batch". So for those using the full amount of WOI 5000 that Kevin put in the recipe (1 1/8 + 3/4 cups), you might want to add 3 3/4 cups more (approx 9 cups total). Then somewhere around 4 cups mix per "batch". (more or less) I know I donít need anywhere near that much.

If you want white bread like the original leave out the wheat bran & flaxmeal. Additional WPI 5000 and/or Carbalose will probably be needed.

Here is his original recipe.
[COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/458570-just-simple-white-bread-thread-9.html#post8046528[/COLOR] #[COLOR=#0000ff]247[/COLOR]
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #1039
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Billie, how many eggs and how much liquid and oil per batch? Just like Kevin's original?

Thanks, Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #1040
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Ginny, I used Kevin's recipe just subbing 3 1/2 cups of this mix (which I figured from his recipe (the # 4 Carbalose).
I personally always have to use a little less liquid in mine, but that was also with the original recipe, so I just did it like I do when I made the original. This original recipe called for 2 eggs & 2 Tbsp butter. You could sub oil if you would rather use oil I'm sure. I think he did in some later versions of the same recipe. It used 1 cup milk. (I have to use less. --- Or you could add the rest of the WPI 5000 in. ) My recipe here only used the 1 1/8 c WPI 5000 per batch.

Did that make sense?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #1041
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Thanks, Billie. I think it makes...I'll read it again...!!! I like the idea of some bran and flax in there to give a whole grain feel.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #1042
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pork Chop
Stats: Reached goal January 2002
WOE: Low carb maintenance
Start Date: July 2001
Kevin, thank you so much for the time and effort you went through developing these recipes!

I've made a half a dozen loaves using the simple white bread 4 and I've spent the last two days making hamburger and hotdog buns using Simple white bun 2 carbquik. I've got enough ingredients left over to finish another dozen hotdog buns and I'm expecting replacements by tuesday. I know you've made netrition very happy!
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #1043
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leezurd
Kevin;
I apologize in advance if this has been addressed somewhere in this lengthy thread. I have been making your Carbolose #1 recipe with terrific results. I want to try a lc rye-type bread, if there is such a thing. Is there a way to tweak your recipe to have it taste rye-like? Will adding caraway seeds affect the rising too much?
leezurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #1044
Blabbermouth!!!

I never tried lc Rye bread. I think I am the only one around here that would eat it so I never had the incentive to try....sorry.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #1045
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezurd View Post
Kevin;
I apologize in advance if this has been addressed somewhere in this lengthy thread. I have been making your Carbolose #1 recipe with terrific results. I want to try a lc rye-type bread, if there is such a thing. Is there a way to tweak your recipe to have it taste rye-like? Will adding caraway seeds affect the rising too much?
I have answered my own question here. I made Kevin's recipe using 1 teaspoon of molasses instead of sugar to give a darker color to the bread. I also added 2 Tablespoons of caraway seed to the beginning of the kneading. The outcome was a fantastic rye-like bread that even my high carb friends loved. The caraway seeds did not affect the rise at all, and the taste was terrific. So many possibilities with varying Kevin's bread recipes!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #1046
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
leezurd, did you use regular mollasses or blackstrap?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #1047
Junior LCF Member

I believe it was blackstrap molasses. I will check when I get home, and if I do not get back on this, it was because my guess was correct.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #1048
Junior LCF Member

I stand corrected...I used organic dark molasses purchased at Martins. Can't say I know the difference between dark and blackstrap though....
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #1049
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Thanks, Leezurd, I didn't catch your reply when you made it. Blackstrap is THE darkest of mollases, it has the most of the flavor components that are distinctive to mollases (or to brown sugar)--so much so that I use about one third of the amount of regular mollasses that I would use, and the carb impact on most recipes is almost negligible.

Thanks for the mock rye bread tip, I will try it. (I might try a half teaspoon of blackstrap in place of your teaspoon of dark mollasses.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #1050
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
kevin, i have just mixed up a bunch of the carbaloose cookie and cake flour mix...could you please tell me if we are suppose to add baking powder to the mixture? i am trying to make some buns and i know we used to add it in the #4 recipe. thanks, by the way, i hope you're feeling better, i have been kinda out of the loop lately..thanks
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote