Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #961
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Well since it is snowing I figured why not play with some bread dough.

Experiment #1 (Pita bread meets carbquik white bread)

* 1 cup warm water
* 2 large eggs
* 2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 4 cup cake and cookie flour mix (carbquik version)
* 1 tsp. sugar
* 2 tsp. rapid rise yeast

Mix dry into wet.
Knead for 15 minutes.
Divide dough into 2 even loaves.
70 minute rise.
25 minutes @350 degrees
19 carbs per loaf.
Good taste good texture and I'm impressed at how well it rose.
Made this with the carbalose version & turned out very good. My husband said this had the best texture of all the breads I have been baking.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #962

Kevin you are now officially known as "that guy" in my household. Everytime I bake bread my guys ask "Is that a new recipe from "that guy"?" or "This is really good bread-Is it "that guy's" recipe?" or ""That guy" should really write a cookbook!". I just made another 2 loaves of your Experiment #1 and so far I think this is the recipe I'll stick with. I gave a coworker half of my sandwich yesterday and I didn't tell her it was lc till after she was done and I asked her how she liked it. Kudos Kevin (That Guy)!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #963
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Thanks Lisa. Thats too funny!
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #964
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Oh, you've always been that guy to me!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #965
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
My Report on Pita Meets White Bread

Quote:

* 1 cup warm water
* 2 large eggs
* 2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. sugar

Mix dry into wet.
Knead for 15 minutes.
70 minute rise.
25 minutes @350 degrees
19 carbs per loaf.
Tonight I needed to replenish my freezer with some low carb breads and goodies so as to recover from the holidays, so I did a bunch of baking.

First, I made a batch of the LC Pita Bread dough from Kevin's other thread. I made the version with kevin's carbalose cake and cookie dough flour instead of carbquik (which I'll report on in the other thread).

Next, I made the recipe above--LC Pita Bread Dough Meets White Bread. With one half of the dough, I made rolls. With the other half, I made a loaf in my loaf pan.

Unfortunately, I did not get a good rise out of this recipe. The rolls came out large enough to be used for sandwiches or dinner rolls, but the loaf didn't even make it to the top of the pan.

The taste of the bread was very good, and is probably the best tasting of all the low carb breads I've made, purchased or been served. The texture was heavier than the LC Pita Bread dough recipe. Denser. I imagine Kevin intended it that way to make it easier to slice.

I'd rank it my second favorite bread behind the LC Pita dough, which has a texture that makes my knees weak.

Last edited by stephdray; 01-04-2008 at 11:28 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:00 AM   #966

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Tonight I needed to replenish my freezer with some low carb breads and goodies so as to recover from the holidays, so I did a bunch of baking.

First, I made a batch of the LC Pita Bread dough from Kevin's other thread. I made the version with kevin's carbalose cake and cookie dough flour instead of carbquik (which I'll report on in the other thread).

Next, I made the recipe above--LC Pita Bread Dough Meets White Bread. With one half of the dough, I made rolls. With the other half, I made a loaf in my loaf pan.

Unfortunately, I did not get a good rise out of this recipe. The rolls came out large enough to be used for sandwiches or dinner rolls, but the loaf didn't even make it to the top of the pan.

The taste of the bread was very good, and is probably the best tasting of all the low carb breads I've made, purchased or been served. The texture was heavier than the LC Pita Bread dough recipe. Denser. I imagine Kevin intended it that way to make it easier to slice.

I'd rank it my second favorite bread behind the LC Pita dough, which has a texture that makes my knees weak.

I notice you posted you didn't get a good rise on another post. Is your yeast old? I get my kitchen really warm by turning on my oven while my bread rises.I am using Fleischmans Bread Machine Yeast in the jar and letting it knead in my bread machine on the dough cycle then baking the Experiment #1 in a bread pan. Comes out great every time. I agree that this is the best bread recipe yet-even my non lc'ing hubby will eat this.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #967
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sappl38220
Stats: 198/190/140
WOE: general lo carb
Start Date: on & off since Dec '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post

Same here...I thought it was the time I spent kneeding it. I only kneeded it for like 6 minutes, does that make a difference? Great recipe, just short.
sappl38220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #968
Blabbermouth!!!

I never knead my LC bread under 15 minutes anymore. It seems to need that extra time to get the glutten working.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #969

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Quote:
I never knead my LC bread under 15 minutes anymore. It seems to need that extra time to get the glutten working.
I was wondering about the kneading time. When I made the LC pita #1, not only did I have to knead longer, but also had to add more that a 1/4 c. of mix to it to get it smooth and not sticky.

I let it rise for about an hour and didn't seem like it rose that much. Is that the correct time?
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #970
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar10der View Post
I was wondering about the kneading time. When I made the LC pita #1, not only did I have to knead longer, but also had to add more that a 1/4 c. of mix to it to get it smooth and not sticky.

I let it rise for about an hour and didn't seem like it rose that much. Is that the correct time?
Maria, I don't really like to add flour to a recipe unless I really think I have to. What I have done, at least on the pita recipe is to cut back the liquid. As I have stated a couple of times in that thread, when I measure out the 3/4 cup water, I never let it go past the bottom of the measuring line on the cup and sometime even a hair less than that. Doing that I can't remember the last time I had to add flour.

As far as rises go, they can be effected by so many things. The double in 1 hour is a general rule of thumb but several factors or a combination of them could ****** the rise. I will and have waited 2 hours to get the rise I wanted. I have also had them look like they were going to take off they rose so much in 45 min.

HTH
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #971
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Pita Meets Whitebread

I made this recipe yesterday, using the Carbalose Flour Blend. Kneaded with dough hook for 15 minutes. The kneaded dough was lovely, not sticky, and easy to handle. I divided it into two parts, one part for a loaf and one part for six buns. Frankly, I didn't have high hopes for the finished products as it seemed there wasn't enough dough to rise much. Boy, was I wrong!

The loaf and buns (both hamburger and hot dog free forms) looked exactly like Kevin's. My DH commented on the beautiful loaf. Taste was very good and texture is truly excellent. And, if you have the flour blend already mixed, this recipe is a snap to put together.

Thanks, Kevin. Another winner here. If you bake bread, you've got to try this.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #972
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: blueenough
Kevin, I just wanted to echo everybody else's praise of you and you untiring efforts to make our lives easier. That said, I tried your carbolose white whole wheat bread today, and I do believe my dh gave you the ultimate compliment. For 48 days, I've been trying to cook for him, but he's not found one low carb baked good that he's liked UNTIL today. He actually said your bread was "good." Now, that's not worded as the greatest compliment you've had, but believe me, out of his mouth, it is a rave review. Since starting chemo, his taste buds have been mighty cantankerous. Thank you for all your effort and experiments.
blueenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
Quote:

* 1 cup warm water
* 2 large eggs
* 2 tsp. EVOO
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. sugar

Mix dry into wet.
Knead for 15 minutes.
70 minute rise.
25 minutes @350 degrees
19 carbs per loaf.

I made this bread yesterday and was totally impressed! We like it the best of all the bread recipes you've posted. I made 4 x the ingredient list for the Carbquick cake & cookie flour mix, and used it all in the recipe to get the right texture.

I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook and it did all the work for me...I used half of the dough for pizza and it also turned out fantastic...I let the pizza dough rise for about an hour, then added the toppings and baked it at 350║ for about 25 minutes.

I put the second half of the dough into a Pam-sprayed bread pan and let it rise for about 1 1/4 hours in the oven (no heat!) with a pan of hot water beneath it and it rose perfectly, then let it bake at 350║ for about 25 minutes. It baked perfectly and the taste was fabulously light and nutty...AND it toasted really well this morning! There was absolutely NO Carbquick taste or smell...DH says "MAKE MORE!"

This one is a keeper! Thanks for your efforts and for sharing your recipes!
helens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #974
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I finally did it!!

To Kevin and all!
Finally, after about 4 attempts and failing(which now I think was to bad baking powder!) I finally had success with Carblose number 4!!
This is how I did it.
I got a new Bread maker from Walmart for Christmas. I decided to make the dough in it. I used the dough setting and set my regular timer for 30 min. I shut the bread maker off and took it out. I had already preheated my oven for 3 min and cut it off. I put the loaf into the large foil pan(I thought it would be too big but that is all I could find) and let it rise in my oven with the light on and the oven door closed for almost 1 hour!! Then bake it for 30 min. Here are pictures with my results!

I think I will do your wheat one next!! Now, how to store and slice this!! Any good ideas?
Thanks!
Christina

P.S. I ended up slicing a thin piece off of it with my sharp big knife. Looks and taste beautiful!! Thanks Kevin and the rest of you all for wonderful ideas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My LC Bread Jan 2008.jpg (31.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg My LC Bread2 Jan 2008.jpg (35.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by mac24312; 01-08-2008 at 04:42 PM..
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #975
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]Hooray Christina!!!!! Glad ya finally got it to work! Pretty bread![/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
To Kevin and all!
Finally, after about 4 attempts and failing(which now I think was to bad baking powder!) I finally had success with Carblose number 4!!
This is how I did it.
I got a new Bread maker from Walmart for Christmas. I decided to make the dough in it. I used the dough setting and set my regular timer for 30 min. I shut the bread maker off and took it out. I had already preheated my oven for 3 min and cut it off. I put the loaf into the large foil pan(I thought it would be too big but that is all I could find) and let it rise in my oven with the light on and the oven door closed for almost 1 hour!! Then bake it for 30 min. Here are pictures with my results!

I think I will do your wheat one next!! Now, how to store and slice this!! Any good ideas?
Thanks!
Christina

P.S. I ended up slicing a thin piece off of it with my sharp big knife. Looks and taste beautiful!! Thanks Kevin and the rest of you all for wonderful ideas!
Do you mean old yeast not baking powder? The recipe doesn't call for baking powder.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #977
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes..the original Carblose number 4 does. That is what I made tonight. Go back and look at it here http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post8046528

HUGS
Christina
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #978

Quote:
Yes..the original Carblose number 4 does. That is what I made tonight. Go back and look at it here http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post8046528

HUGS
Christina

Wow it's been a long time since I made that recipe. I stick with Experiment #1 and the lc pita one. My son & hubby love the Experiment #1-my hubby doesn't lc and is very picky and I have finally found a lc homemade bread he will eat. Have you tried it yet!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #979
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No...are you talking the first one on this page? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ad-thread.html
I had tried a few and I really like this one. I think I might try the wheat next because my DH and I really like the taste of Wheat bread. In a couple of weeks I am going to maybe try that one also. Got to craw before you can walk so to speak. I dont know what I was doing wrong with my other experiments. They did not rise well at all. I dont know if it was bad baking powder or either my kitchen was not warm enough or both. That is why I used the oven method for letting it rise this time.

Have a good week and HUGS
Christina
Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #980
Blabbermouth!!!

Another method you can use to help your rise is to put a pan of boiling water on a rack in the oven below the bread dough while it rises. A tip from Alton Brown. It is also suppose to keep your dough from getting a tough skin on it and make the bread tender.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #981
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Kevin! I forgot about that. Mine was very soft and chewy. Just the way I like it. Thanks again for wonderful recipes for us all to experiment and use!!
HUGS
Christina
Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #982

Quote:
No...are you talking the first one on this page? http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ad-thread.html
I had tried a few and I really like this one. I think I might try the wheat next because my DH and I really like the taste of Wheat bread. In a couple of weeks I am going to maybe try that one also. Got to craw before you can walk so to speak. I dont know what I was doing wrong with my other experiments. They did not rise well at all. I dont know if it was bad baking powder or either my kitchen was not warm enough or both. That is why I used the oven method for letting it rise this time.

Have a good week and HUGS
Christina

Check out post #974. I make this on the dough cycle and take out and shape and let rise in a very warm kitchen. The taste & texture are fabulous-makes great toast.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #983
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi..I did try that one a couple of weeks ago and it would not rise for me. It may have been that my kitchen was not warm enough. I just dont know. I will try that again sometime.
Thanks and HUGS
Christina
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #984
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Kevin, what kneading speed do you use with the Kitcheaid? (I heard Alton Brown say last night that he uses the "medium" speed, but thought the handbook said speed #2.) Thanks.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #985
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Kevin, what kneading speed do you use with the Kitcheaid? (I heard Alton Brown say last night that he uses the "medium" speed, but thought the handbook said speed #2.) Thanks.
Most times I use #2 but I also use #1. It really depends on how hard it seem to be working at the time.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #986
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
We Kevin!!! What a great way for a pretzel fanatic to start out the New Year! Plus, I got a bread machine for Christmas just to make LC breads, but who knew I was gonna' get pretzels, too!!??

Thanks, so much, Kevin for all of your help and ideas.

Elaine
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #987
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Used EVOO instead of butter and omitted the baking powder.
Kneaded 10 minutes.
90 minute rise.
Baked @ 350 for 30 minutes.
2 loaves (total 30 slices) 2.5 carb 52 calories each.

LC Wheat Bread
1 cup Calorie Countdown milk
2 Large eggs
2 Tbs EVOO
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
1/2 cup carbalose
2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 Tbs not/Sugar
1/8 tsp splenda quick pack
1 tsp sugar
1 packet rapid rise yeast
7/8 cup King Arthur traditional whole wheat

Hey Kevin, I am thinking about trying this again now that I think I can rise it right. What size glass pans do you use to make 2 loaves? The last loaf I did all I could find was the big aluminum pans and I really dont want to use them on this. Or, can i just make 1 loaf and use that pan?

Thanks and HUGS
Christina
Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #988
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't use metal loaf pans. I have a few but they have been collecting dust in the attic for 10 years or so. The only ones I use are glass and they are 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 3 1/2.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #989
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Originally Posted by Kevinpa

Used EVOO instead of butter and omitted the baking powder.
Kneaded 10 minutes.
90 minute rise.
Baked @ 350 for 30 minutes.
2 loaves (total 30 slices) 2.5 carb 52 calories each.

LC Wheat Bread
1 cup Calorie Countdown milk
2 Large eggs
2 Tbs EVOO
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
1/2 cup carbalose
2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 Tbs not/Sugar
1/8 tsp splenda quick pack
1 tsp sugar
1 packet rapid rise yeast
7/8 cup King Arthur traditional whole wheat

Hey Kevin, I made this again yesterday and it worked!! Both my DH and I love the taste and texture of this bread! I was wondering if you think this would be good made into rolls and buns? I seen on another site where someone takes her dough and after mixing it she rolls it out to 3/4 inch thick and then cuts it with a 4 inch cookie cutter and then lets it rise for buns. Do you think this would overwork this dough to do that. I also want to use a 2 inch cutter and do the same thing but make into rolls.

Thanks again for a wonderful recipe!
HUGS
Christina
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #990
Blabbermouth!!!

I made this recipe into buns back around post #819.

Here is the link.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post8806711

I never tried the cookie cutter method before. You will have to let us know how it turns out if you do.