Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
This Breadis da BOMB!! Thank you so much Kevin for coming up with this. I had it toasted with eggs this morning and I loved it. I cant wait to make some texas toast with it,, I miss that so much. Everytime I make my dh and son spaghetti they got to have texas toast and I cant resist so I end up eating a piece,,(and wonder why I have gained 8 pounds in the last 6 months or so..) I am making another loaf on sunday to make stuffing with. And the best part was that is was easy to make.. I sliced it up and wrapped it for the freezer and I have 12 servings of 2 slices each left.. Iwas thinking about the hamburg buns but it is just as easy to toast 2 slices of bread and have your burger on that and less carbs.. thanks again....
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #62

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have several recipes that I make using bread crumbs like, baked breaded chicken and baked breaded cod loins and up until now I always had used store bought lc bread which has a higher carb count and when making bread crumbs that can add up fast even though its LC.

This bread now puts bread crumbs closer to most lc diets.

This bread cut in 16 slices like I do @ 2 carbs each yeilds just shy of 1/2 cup of crumbs per slice.

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Ok, just so I understand completely Creek. Is it just the wheat protein isolate 8000 taste you do not like or both it and wheat protein isolate 5000?
I think it's both (or, large quantities of either)--but I thought that I would concentrate on replacing the 8K because I figure that the bread would still be plenty elastic without it, and I would like to keep the volume-enhancing qualities that the 5K gives (which have been pathetically lacking in my other yeast bread efforts).
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
I think it's both (or, large quantities of either)--but I thought that I would concentrate on replacing the 8K because I figure that the bread would still be plenty elastic without it, and I would like to keep the volume-enhancing qualities that the 5K gives (which have been pathetically lacking in my other yeast bread efforts).
My best guess without trying, using the instructions of this recipe and only changing amounts of flours.........

* 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 [COLOR="Red"](omit)[/COLOR]
* 1 cup Carbalose [COLOR="Green"](+ 1/2 cup)[/COLOR]
* 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 [COLOR="Green"](+ 2 T.)[/COLOR]
* 1/4 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70 [COLOR="Green"](+ 2 T.)[/COLOR]
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #65
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I've never made bread crumbs--do you do it like the croutons and then just put in a food processor?
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
I've never made bread crumbs--do you do it like the croutons and then just put in a food processor?

That's how I do it Jackie.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberly1x
Stats: 190/141/130
WOE: somersizing
Start Date: june 2005
hi kevinpa do u have a bread pudding recipe lc ?

thank you kim
kimberly1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly1x View Post

thank you kim
Sorry I don't. I don't think I have ever made bread pudding. At least I dont remember making it anyway.....
Old 11-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

thank you kim
You might try Kevin's bread with this LCL recipe
Chocolate Bread Pudding With Spiced Cream

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup Splenda
3 tablespoons Brown Sugar Twin ( I hate this stuff, maybe brown Diabetisweet)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure sugarfree vanilla extract
1 cup sugar free chocolate, melted
1/4 cup diet Orange Soda
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
8-10 slices day-old low-carb bread
(cut into 1/2" cubes — about 4 cups)
1 cup sugar free chocolate chips
Spiced Cream (recipe below)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 6-cup (9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4-inch) loaf pan with butter.

Whisk eggs, sweeteners, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, melted chocolate, and diet Orange Soda together in a large mixing bowl until very smooth. Add half-and-half and heavy cream and mix well. Add low carb bread cubes and allow mixture sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the unmelted chocolate chips. Pour the remaining bread mixture over the chocolate chips. Bake until the pudding is set in the center, about 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

To serve, cut the pudding into 3/4-inch thick slices. Top with spiced cream.

Makes 10 servings; 8.9 grams net carbohydrate per serving.

Spiced Cream:

1 quart heavy cream
1/3 cup granulated Splenda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Beat the cream with an electric mixer on high speed in a large mixing bowl for about 2 minutes. Add the Splenda, cinnamon, and nutmeg and beat again until the mixture thickens and forms stiff peaks, another 1 to 2 minutes.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberly1x
Stats: 190/141/130
WOE: somersizing
Start Date: june 2005
thank you very much sungoddess for the recipe sounds very good.
kevinpa are you going to put these new recipes you created on ur site like the lc bread, chocolate and cream cookies etc? caz i looked and its not there.

thank you kim
kimberly1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #71

Quote:
thank you very much sungoddess for the recipe sounds very good.
kevinpa are you going to put these new recipes you created on ur site like the lc bread, chocolate and cream cookies etc? caz i looked and its not there.

thank you kim

Yes Kim, as I get the time I update my site with new recipe.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
My best guess without trying, using the instructions of this recipe and only changing amounts of flours.........

* 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 [COLOR="Red"](omit)[/COLOR]
* 1 cup Carbalose [COLOR="Green"](+ 1/2 cup)[/COLOR]
* 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 [COLOR="Green"](+ 2 T.)[/COLOR]
* 1/4 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70 [COLOR="Green"](+ 2 T.)[/COLOR]
Quick as this bread is, I couldn't get to it this week-end, but thanks, Kevin.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
I made this recipe Friday (adding a heaping tsp. crushed garlic, a handful of parm cheese & a few savory spices to the dough) and shaped half into a "log". After it baked I sliced thinly & re-baked it (per Kevin's biscotti instructions)....and oh my! what wonderful little melba-toast type crackers!they're crisp & golden & hold up beautifully under spreads, with salads & for dipping (Costco's jalapeno artichoke dip is outrageously good!) I got over 32 3" x 1" crackers that weigh in at only a half carb each! Great tasting recipe, Kevin...and versatile too!
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Great idea, bigmomma! I shoulda thunk of it.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma View Post
I made this recipe Friday (adding a heaping tsp. crushed garlic, a handful of parm cheese & a few savory spices to the dough) and shaped half into a "log". After it baked I sliced thinly & re-baked it (per Kevin's biscotti instructions)....and oh my! what wonderful little melba-toast type crackers!they're crisp & golden & hold up beautifully under spreads, with salads & for dipping (Costco's jalapeno artichoke dip is outrageously good!) I got over 32 3" x 1" crackers that weigh in at only a half carb each! Great tasting recipe, Kevin...and versatile too!
I like this idea. I think I am going to try something similar with the bread cubes for my stuffing by adding rosemary, sage and thyme to the bread dough......thanks bigmomma
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
sub for Arise 5000

The breads look wonderful! I've been afraid to try a low carb yeast bread, though I used to make traditional breads all the time. I do not have any Arise 5000, only the 8000. Kevin, do you have any suggestions for subbing? More carbalose or oat flour or a combo of those with a bit of the 8000?

BTW, this is the first time I've posted. I've been lurking around this site for months, always marvelling at the talent and generosity of its major posters. Thank you for your help, enthusiasm, and encouragement.
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
The breads look wonderful! I've been afraid to try a low carb yeast bread, though I used to make traditional breads all the time. I do not have any Arise 5000, only the 8000. Kevin, do you have any suggestions for subbing? More carbalose or oat flour or a combo of those with a bit of the 8000?

BTW, this is the first time I've posted. I've been lurking around this site for months, always marvelling at the talent and generosity of its major posters. Thank you for your help, enthusiasm, and encouragement.
I made an oat bread that was similar to this one that worked well but it also had arise 5000 in it. My best suggestion to you would be to sub the 3/4 cup arise 5000 with an extra 1/4 cup carbalose and 1/2 cup oat flour. You will be upping the carb count a little bit but not much.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Thank you

Thanks, Kevin, for the very quick response. I'll try your substitution suggestion. I've been reading some of your other recipes and notice that you've said you haven't had good results with WPI8000. I've got a whole bag of the stuff (bought before I'd done enough research on the difference between the two formulations)and I'd like to use it up before ordering something else. Do you think the oat combo would work in most applications? Thanks again for sharing your considerable expertise.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
i just made a cinnamon jelly roll out of this bread. it is very good. i used the hamburger bun modified recipe. i rolled out the dough on my counter top that was sprayed w/pam, to a 1/4 of an inch thick. i then spread brown sugar diabetisweet, cinnamon, and sf maple syrup. added some pecans. cut the dough in half, rolled up and placed into the edge of the other half and continued to roll up and sealed the edge. really good!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:47 AM   #80

Simple Carbquik White Bread I was impressed with the taste of this bread.

* 3/4 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 large eggs
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbquik
* 1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tsp. guar gum
* 2 Tsp. Xanthan gum
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and kneaded with the hook for 4 to 5 min.
Then turned the dough into a glass bread dish, cover and let rise for 1 to 2 hours in a warm draft free place till dough doubles. The dough will be quite sticky.

When dough doubles in size bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.

This is a lighter and more tender bread than the Carbalose version.

24 carbs @ 16 slices ......1.5 carbs per slice.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Jst when i think i have everything to make something, I discover something else I need!

Anything to subsitute for the guar gum?
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:55 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl View Post
Jst when i think i have everything to make something, I discover something else I need!

Anything to subsitute for the guar gum?
I was shooting for a blend of gums because I have found they work better in combination. It may work with Just the 2 teas. of xanthan though. A tablespoon of not/sugar or not/starch would also work in place of both the guar and xanthan.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:57 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Kev, for the Carbquik version. . .as I just ran out of Carbalose. . .the original white bread is really great, and I would want to replace it before my next Netrition order came in. . .

And tell me, do you have a preference of the breads???
Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
And tell me, do you have a preference of the breads???
That is a tough question because both have characteristics that I like. This carbquik version seem to be the texture I have been looking for to make some things that need a tender dough. It makes a great lunchmeat sandwich if that tells you anything......
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Morning,

I love the original white bread recipe and have made two loaves so far. I sliced a little thinner and put in freezer. Plan to make stuffing using some. Then I saw rye flour in the store and decided to try a light rye bread.

I used the "oat bread" recipe and subbed rye flour for the ground oats. I also added 1 TBS caraway seed for 1 TBS of the flax meal. The bread turned out great. I think it could use a little more rye taste so next time I might sub rye flour for the flaxmeal also.

Kevin, thank you again for all your hard work and for sharing your results.
"How does one become a butterfly?...You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."Trina Paulus

"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Notes on 5000 vs 8000 - Scott or Kevin care to comment?

I'm no math genius, but I did a few calculations in hopes of being able to use up my WPI 8000 for WPI 5000. I figure that the 8000 is about 12.5% higher in protein than the 5000. So, one quarter cup of the 5000 has 14 grams of protein while the same amount of the 8000 has 16 grams. 3Tablespoons + 1.5 tsp. of the 8000 would equal just very slightly less than 14 grams. Mathematically, that ought to work - unless there is something else that makes the WPI8000 behave differently in recipes. Anyone out there have any experiences to relate about this kind of substitution? Thanks for helping! I've spent 40+ years cooking and baking, but lowcarb is still new to me.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
I'm no math genius, but I did a few calculations in hopes of being able to use up my WPI 8000 for WPI 5000. I figure that the 8000 is about 12.5% higher in protein than the 5000. So, one quarter cup of the 5000 has 14 grams of protein while the same amount of the 8000 has 16 grams. 3Tablespoons + 1.5 tsp. of the 8000 would equal just very slightly less than 14 grams. Mathematically, that ought to work - unless there is something else that makes the WPI8000 behave differently in recipes. Anyone out there have any experiences to relate about this kind of substitution? Thanks for helping! I've spent 40+ years cooking and baking, but lowcarb is still new to me.
I have tried countless numbers of ratios in hopes of finding a way to use arise 8000 in place of arise 5000 to no avail. I'm not sure where you are getting your weights from but by my scale arise 8000 is 3 times as heavy as arise 5000. I have personally resigned myself to the fact that the only place I get the result from arise 8000 is in small amounts such as in this bread recipe. I have pretty much settled in to using arise 5000 90% of the time.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Sigh...

Kevin, I did NOT weigh the two forms of WPI, just used a measuring tablespoon. I recall that, somewhere, you said you had gotten some conflicting weight vs. measuring results for WPI. I will defer to your experience in these tricky matters and just break down and order some of the 5000. No use in ruining things, but I'll keep a lookout for recipes that will use up the 8000. Also, I just visited your website. Impressive! Thanks again for sharing the wisdom of your experiences.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made a loaf of the original bread recipe (on page 1) this weekend. I kinda screwed up the recipe cause I misread it and put in 3/4 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70, and 1 Tbsp. sugar. I did use 1 1/2 cups Carbalose and 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten. I noticed the mix-up on the Resistant Wheat Starch (should have been WPI 5000) as soon as I dumped it in the bowl so I tried to spoon it out but since it was on top of the Carbalose and VWG I only scooped out about a 1/4 cup, so the recipe ended up with about 1/2 cup RWS, extra Carbalose, no WPI 8000, extra sugar, VWG, WPI 5000 and I think everything else was right! Anyway, it came out really good and I can't wait to make a loaf following the ingredients properly! I don't know how the carb count was affected by using a whole tablespoon of the evil SUGAR but I'm not going to throw the bread out - it's just too good.

Now for the topper:: Since I had the 1/4 cup of RWS70 that I'd scooped out and it was mixed with some of the Carbalose I had to make something --soooooooo I ended up making Kevin's Chocolate Chip Cookies. OMG - are these ever good! So from going to being really upset with myself for the first screw-up I ended up with probably the best LC chocolate chip cookied I've ever had!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
I made a loaf of the original bread recipe (on page 1) this weekend. I kinda screwed up the recipe cause I misread it and put in 3/4 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70, and 1 Tbsp. sugar. I did use 1 1/2 cups Carbalose and 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten. I noticed the mix-up on the Resistant Wheat Starch (should have been WPI 5000) as soon as I dumped it in the bowl so I tried to spoon it out but since it was on top of the Carbalose and VWG I only scooped out about a 1/4 cup, so the recipe ended up with about 1/2 cup RWS, extra Carbalose, no WPI 8000, extra sugar, VWG, WPI 5000 and I think everything else was right! Anyway, it came out really good and I can't wait to make a loaf following the ingredients properly! I don't know how the carb count was affected by using a whole tablespoon of the evil SUGAR but I'm not going to throw the bread out - it's just too good.

Now for the topper:: Since I had the 1/4 cup of RWS70 that I'd scooped out and it was mixed with some of the Carbalose I had to make something --soooooooo I ended up making Kevin's Chocolate Chip Cookies. OMG - are these ever good! So from going to being really upset with myself for the first screw-up I ended up with probably the best LC chocolate chip cookied I've ever had!
Tweaker, I don't know whether to say happily or sadly, but you are my kind of cook! Boy do I tweak. . .by design and by accident! Anyway, this kind of cooking must be very forgiving. . .'cause I sure do get into binds. . .