Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #841
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
jackieba - your buns look great - how did they taste? I still haven't tried the bread yet - what on earth am I waiting for?!!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I am at a loss Jackie and sorry they did not turn out for you. Like you my dough was very easy to work with but the end calzone was not a bit tough. I have made them twice with the same results and will be trying another batch this weekend to assure myself that I can reproduce the results.

Could it have been because the dough was left on the counter for an hour, or is that what you are suposed to do?
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #843

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnygirl View Post
Could it have been because the dough was left on the counter for an hour, or is that what you are suposed to do?
No Vonny, it is a refrigerator rise so the dough is cool and stiff when you take it out. Letting it sit on the counter makes it more pliable and easier to work with.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #844
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
I made some hoagie buns this morning--If you roll up dough like for hot dog buns and give it more room to spread out, here's what you get (don't know if you can really tell from the photo but it's wider and not as tall as a hot dog bun):

Awesome buns!!

Quick question and then I'll quit bugging you! You said that you used the carbalose #1 recipe with all hood and butter. I wanted to make sure I am using the right one - is it this one?

Quote:
* 1 cup warm CC milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbalose
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast
or is it this one subbing Hood and butter?

Quote:
The following is the ingredients I used:

* 3/4 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 large eggs
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 cup Carbalose
* 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/4 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast
I wanted to make sure I use exactly the same one!

Thanks in advance!!!!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:46 AM   #845
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
The second one. I go by weight instead of volume so if you have scales, I'll give you the exact weights I use.
One thing I've recently started doing, to make sure the seams don't come undone while rising (it has happened before), I sprinkle a little water on the inside of the seam after rolling it up then sprinkle a little wpi 5000 on that (makes a paste that will stick anything together) then pinch together.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #846
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
The second one. I go by weight instead of volume so if you have scales, I'll give you the exact weights I use.
One thing I've recently started doing, to make sure the seams don't come undone while rising (it has happened before), I sprinkle a little water on the inside of the seam after rolling it up then sprinkle a little wpi 5000 on that (makes a paste that will stick anything together) then pinch together.
jackie, i need to make some sub buns for dinner tonite, quick question.
is this a new recipe you used or is it one of kevin's? i thought the ingredients looked different, so i looked up the first page of recipes and *#4 is different than this one. does using that much 8000 leave that taste we are all talking about? thanks for the info, appreciate your help.

ok, i just looked again and is this his #1 recipe that you use? what recipe do you like the most?

Last edited by That Girl; 07-02-2007 at 09:50 AM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #847
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Jackie are you rolling the dough circles out like a pie crust and then re-rolling them into hotdog shape? I just do snake shape to begin with, but maybe your method is better

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #848
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I'm curious about this "rolling out" process, too. I finally located my bread machine (and my food processer!) last night, so at last, I can try making some of this bread. Hot dog and hamburger buns would be more important to me than a loaf of bread!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #849
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Sorry I wasn't online yest except very early in the morning. I use Kevin's simple white bread #1 subbing milk for the cream/water and butter for the olive oil. It's just our preference--we notice a "weird taste" from #4 but not from #1 so it depends on which taste you're more sensitive to. Either one should work--it's just a matter of personal taste. I'd use whichever recipe you like for loaf bread.

No I do not roll it out like a pie crust. I take the dough and weigh it then divide in 6 equal balls. I take each one and flatten it out/roll it out to approximately 6" by 4" for hot dog buns; sometimes a little shorter for sub rolls--prob 5"x 4". Then I roll it up starting with the long end, put a little water and wpi5000 on the seam to seal better then I pinch the seams. Then I place them seam side down in a 8x11" dish lined with quick release foil--3 to a dish for sub rolls or 6 to a dish for hot dog buns (though a cookie sheet would work fine for the sub rolls; I used the dish to keep hot dog buns from spreading out too much). The I let them rise for an hour and bake. Cool on a wire rack then slice open.

For hamburger buns, there is no rolling out. I just put the little balls on a muffin top pan lightly pressing down just a little and let them rise. I think there's photos here somewhere. I've also used
4" round mini cake pans for hamburger buns.

Last edited by jackieba; 07-03-2007 at 05:58 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #850
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Thanks, Jackieba! That's an excellent description! Very clear! Hot dog on a bun, here I come! Woohoo!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #851
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Thanks Jackie,
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #852
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for the info!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I can't wait to try the hotdog buns and hamburger buns. Hopefully this week
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #854
Senior LCF Member

To Jackie, Kevin, Ginny, Billie and everyone else that helped me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I made the most beautiful buns last weekend using Jackie's preferred method.

If I had a camera I would post a picture - I feel like you all coached me the whole way! Jackie - you were very gracious in responding to my every question and I really appreciate your patience.

I figured out my biggest problem was that I hadn't been kneading it enough. My old Sunbeam is not a very good kneader. I remembered I had a hand mixer with a dough hook that I had gotten free from Oreck several years ago, whipped that thing out and with Jackie's rolling, seaming method - awesome buns!

Again, thanks to all and have a wonderful 4th!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #855
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #856
Senior LCF Member

More fun with Kevin's Bread

I finally felt like "tweaking" with this recipe and added a cup of "instant mashers" and cup of cheese with half a cup of boiling water to #1 right before the knead. Threw in a tablespoon of onion powder and dill flakes and .....they are great!!!

Because of the extra bulk - I got 6 hot dog buns and 6 rolls plus a baby one for snacking on when they came out of the oven.

Kinda reminded me of potato rolls somewhat.

Thanks again Kevin for the endless possibilities!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
after finally finishing all 850+ posts in this thread I decided to give this bread a go, boy am I glad I did! All i can say is WOW, WOW, WOW (and thanks, thanks, thanks, Kevin!) This will be a staple in my kitchen. I made the recipe Kevin described as his "new favorite" (see post #819, i think) the one with ww flour. It came out great! Crusty, tender, tasty golden brown BREAD! I can honestly say it's better than any commercial LC bread I've eaten (no rubbery chew, heavy texture, off after-taste, I got 15 large dinner rolls & 3 smallish hot dog buns (though oddly shaped) at just under 4 carbs each. I toasted one roll in a hot skillet for crunchy garlic croutons for tonights Cobb salad (1 roll made just about 1 cup of croutons!!) What a great recipe!
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #858
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma View Post
I toasted one roll in a hot skillet for crunchy garlic croutons for tonights Cobb salad (1 roll made just about 1 cup of croutons!!) What a great recipe!
That is such a great idea!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #859
Senior LCF Member

I got a camera!

Since I splurged and bought me a camera, I thought I would post my new favorite bread recipe.

It is a modification of Simple White Bread #2, Carbquick, which I made into hamburger buns. I bolded the changes/modifications below:

* 1 1/2 cup Calorie Countdown
* 2 powdered eggs (I have tons so I'm trying to use them up)

* 2 1/2 T butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 cup Carbquik
* 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill LC Bake Mix
* 1 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 3 Tsp Not Sugar
* 2 Tsp. sugar
* 2packet rapid rise yeast

This modification removed forever the carbquick tang for me and because of the extra packet of yeast - they rose almost 5 times their size!

They are very soft and yummy and it is my new favorite. I was very sensitive to the "twang" and this did it for me.

I'll probably go smaller next time to cut some carbs - but the kid is on maintenance and this is his new favorite too.

I might need to cut back on the yeast as I saw definite air bubbles that I popped right before they went in but I definitely will go at least 1 1/2 packets of yeast. Should I have popped them or just left them alone?

Forgive my awful picture - too many buttons on this new camera thing....why can't they make stuff simple?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #860
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Those look beautilful to me!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #861
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Clyde, those do look wonderful! I'll have to give your variation a try as I'm also a Carbquik-twang hater. I'm guessing the Bob's Red Mill mix added a few carbs, but, I hope, nothing significant...It's so much fun to see what happens when many of us are working on a problem.

Thanks!
Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #862
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Clyde - those look great. Do you know which ingredient masked the carbquik taste?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #863
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Soobee, Ginny and Nigel - this thread actually taught me how to make an edible bread. Why isn't it a sticky yet?

Nigel - I'm not sure which ingredient did the trick. I also made another batch and added dill and onion/garlic powder to them - I use those for Dreamfield's days to make garlic bread and I really like those too.

I kinda like Bob's LC Mix but I think I need to start backwards now and see if I can reduce using so much of that because it does make these a lot more carby - that mix has 6 net grams per 1/4 cup so I added an extra 12 grams to the batch. It also could have been the extra milk and butter - I added an extra 1/2 cup of milk because I was using powdered eggs....and the extra butter.....if I make a batch with real eggs, I'll report back in and see if that's what did it for me.

Thanks for all the encouragement and special thanks as always to our Master Chef Kevin.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #864
Major LCF Poster!

bumping this thread, hoping it will become a sticky soon. too good to get lost in the shuffle. anybody come up with any new ideas/tweaks?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #865

I'm working on a yeast flour mix that you only need to add the yeast and the wet ingredients to, but I'm not there yet.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #866
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bet you are close on that flour mix!!! Sounds wunderbar! However you spell that!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #867
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I've made three of the simple white bread variations now, about five or six times now. My first attempt came out really badly, so I turned it into breadcrumbs. The other times have been basic successes in terms of buns and rolls with the Carbalose #4 version. There was always a strange taste to them, but I was able to mask it with rye and other flavorings. Actually, the Splenda seemed to help a lot too.

This past weekend, however, I attempted to make Carbalose #4 version to make pizza dough, but added some almond flour to see if that would help mask the taste. It came out very badly, which is odd for pizza dough since I figured it would be smothered with enough sauce so that nobody would care. My husband would not eat it and I'm starting to think that he has a taste intolerance to the WPI.

If I were a more expert baker, I would know how to counteract this. I'm thinking of experimenting with the wheat flour version that Kevin posted (though that kind of defeats the purpose of a 'white' bread). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to scale this recipe more towards the carbquik/carbalose and away from the wpi or is there another flour blend I should maybe consider?

In the meantime though, I'm super excited about Kevin's mix. The idea of not having to use up every measuring spoon in the house every time I want a hot dog bun is fantastic!

Last edited by stephdray; 08-14-2007 at 03:39 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
This past weekend, however, I attempted to make Carbalose #4 version to make pizza dough, but added some almond flour to see if that would help mask the taste. It came out very badly, which is odd for pizza dough since I figured it would be smothered with enough sauce so that nobody would care.
Steph, nut flour and yeast don't play well together. It is not surprising that you didn't like it. I do have a couple of questions though.

Is this you 1st attempt at the pizza dough?

Did you do at least a 4 hour refrigerator rise before using it.

That cold rise has a huge impact on the taste IMO.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #869
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Steph, nut flour and yeast don't play well together.
Arg. Ok, I didn't know this. But now I see that I ruined the dough myself. It makes more sense now, because if I had simply cut one of the previous Carbalose #4 Hamburger buns in half and put Pizza toppings on them it would have tasted much better. I use them all the time. They have no almond flour in them.

Quote:
Is this you 1st attempt at the pizza dough?
Did you do at least a 4 hour refrigerator rise before using it.
That cold rise has a huge impact on the taste IMO.
It was my first attempt and I started the cold rise, but it got cut short because company came over and I needed to cook early. I never even remembered that until just now.

Ok, I will definitely try it again. Thank you for telling me about yeast and the almond flour.

I'm still curious though: If my husband is more sensitive to WPI than Carbalose/Carbquik can I just substitute more of that and less of the WPI 5000 or are they not one-to-one flour exchanges?
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #870
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
I'm not Kevin, but I wouldn't think the WPI which is a Protein Isolate, could be just switched with the Carbalose/Carbquik which is a modified wheat flour, they have such different properties...
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote