Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #721
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
kevin, here comes another "duh" question, sorry! can we just use reg old fashioned oats by quaker, ground up into a flour? and, if so, is that measurement before ground up or after? i also have oat bran and oat fiber....any suggestions? thanks so much. i LOVE MY BREAD, i am always on the lookout for lc bread... you have been a godsend my friend! keep up the good work! i can't wait to try this. your #4 recipe makes great crackers, by the way.
Bella the only kind of oatmeal that I ever tried to grind into flour was cut oats and I remember thinking "wow thats a strong oat taste". It was actually too strong for my liking. Of the the options you listed the only one I would even think of using is the reg old fashioned oats by quaker, ground up into a flour. Any of the others and I think you will be disappointed. I am convinced that it was the oat fiber in my first oat experiment that made it fall.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #722
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
BTW, I finally decided to test the (freezability <-- a word I made up)of this dough. I took the other half of the dough from the recipe for this calzone and froze and vacuum sealed it. Sometime next week I will thaw it and make a pizza with it to see how it performs.
Well its next week....

First thing this morning I took the other half of the calzone dough out of the freezer, which I froze after the rise, and put it in the fridge to thaw. Then about a hour before dinner I set it out on the counter to take off the chill and make it more pliable. The following are what I concider the successful results.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Time to buy a pampered chef bowl like this
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #724
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Kevin - did you let the 4 hour refrigerated oat bread come to room temp before you baked it or bake right out of the fridge?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #725
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Kevin - did you let the 4 hour refrigerated oat bread come to room temp before you baked it or bake right out of the fridge?
There was maybe 10 minutes elaped time tops between the time I took it out of the fridge and when I put it in the oven.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #726
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, I think I may try that tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #727
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]I made the carbalose #4 recipe again today, except I added 1/2 wheat bran. I like it better with the bran than just white bread. I've added the bran several times, tho I think this is the most I've added. OH and I added a scant tsp of Agave Nectar.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]As I usually do, I pinched of a wad about the size of a tennis ball. This time instead of making it into a mini loaf, I made 3 rolls. The large loaf still rose really high. The rolls rose high too, but....... when I took them out of the dishes (I used little ramkins) the bottoms were hollow! Anybody have any idea why they did that?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I had thought that I wished I had made the extra into 4 rolls, cause I didn't want them so high. But most of that height was air. I sitll think I would rather have had 4 tho.[/COLOR]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevins bread 5 17 07a (400 x 300).jpg (37.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg kevins bread 5 17 07e (320 x 240).jpg (21.9 KB, 38 views)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #728
Blabbermouth!!!

Thats really strange.

Were all three like that or just the 2 that show in the pic?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #729
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Billie, you haven't cut into your gorgeous loaf of bread yet and I'm wondering if there will be some hollow spots in there, too. I've had bread rise really high and I believe it's called "flying crust". From what I've read, it is caused by letting the bread rise too long before putting into the oven.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #730
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Kevin, Yes all 3 were like that. I just left the one rightside up so it would show how it looked before I turned them over. They were beautiful, tho higher than I had wanted (I was making "hamburger buns", but didn't want mine really high. (Little burger buns.)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Ginny, I just went and cut it. I sliced it all. There was a small hole (maybe an inch long & 3/4" wide down in the bread toward one end. But not the space under the crust. Only that one hole. It did have one spot on the bottom that raised up just a little. I think if you look really close at the picture you can see it. I think I let it rise for just under an hour. Maybe 45 minutes, maybe a little longer.[/COLOR]
Old 05-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #731
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
It looks to me like maybe there was a seam at the bottom and it came open while they were rising or maybe even while baking. If there are any seams they have to be tight but it's still possible to come back open-- I've made breadsticks or oval sub rolls and that has occasionally happened (I'm shaping those more so there's more of a seam there though). I shape them and let it rest about 5 minutes then check to see if any seams have come open before placing in oven to rise. I haven't had it happen with burger buns or dinner rolls though.

Last edited by jackieba; 05-18-2007 at 08:14 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Jackie, it may be the steam. ?? There were no seams. I thought I had the dough flat down in the bowls, but maybe it wasn't. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I can easily see how I might have not had some of the loaf all they way down, but I sure thought the dough for the rolls was flat in the dish. Hmmm.... guess maybe not.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Next time I'll try to check them after 5 minutes before finishing the rise.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I had made rolls in dishes once before, and didn't have this happen. Oh well they taste good, and I can eat them as rolls. I did also decide that next time I want a little larger dish. Too bad too, cause I just recently bought these dishes just for rolls. I can still use them for smaller rolls, and for other things.[/COLOR]
Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #733
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kevin - OMG!--I made the bread in my pampered chef bowl today, actually it's still in the oven, and it rose so high I baked it after 2 hours. It rose more in the oven - I thought I smelled something burning - and lo and behold it had risen so high it was cooking on the heating element on the top of the stove and burning!! I took it out and cut the top off and it's on a cookie sheet baking and the rest is still in the bowl baking! I don't know if I'm going to be able to salvage this or not.

I just looked and I used my 1 quart pampered chef bowl - not the 2 quart - no wonder! Next time I'll split the dough and do half in the bowl and half in a bread pan. I thought it was kind of funny when it rose so high the top came off in the fridge!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #734
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
It looks to me like maybe there was a seam at the bottom and it came open while they were rising or maybe even while baking. ....
[COLOR=#ff0000]
Quote:
[COLOR=#ff0000]Jackie, it may be the steam. ?? [/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Jackie, Did you have a typo which you corrected with that edit, or did I misread it (which is what I do a lot - darn dyslexia)? I read that line as it may be steam.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Hmmm...... There were, as I said before, no seams (I did read seam in the next line) in any of them.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I would go with the rising to long, but I don't see how that would cause what happened to the little rolls/buns. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #735
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, after the cooking fiasco the results are in -- I threw the piece I cut off the top out to the birds! The remainder that was cooked in the measure bowl came out with nice texture and crusty top and sides. So all is not lost, I will still use the bread. Sure makes a big slice, slicing top to bottom lengthwise - I only got 7 slices - that's from the 1 qt. bowl, made in the 2 qt. bowl they must be huge!

I still may try this again tomorrow - splitting the dough in half, making one loaf in the 1 qt. bowl and one loaf in a regular bread pan AND letting it chill for the full 4 hours. Stay tuned, I'll post the results.

This really is a good tasting bread and, once I get it right, I know it will be a favorite! Thanks Kevin.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 05-18-2007 at 05:30 PM..
Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #736
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I meant seam--I'm not explaining it very well. When forming rolls to a certain shape I fold the dough under to get a nice tight smooth shape and then pinch the "seams" where the dough comes together on the bottom. I have had that come open but it doesn't sound like you had any. Sorry for the confusion. The only reason I mentioned it was when I enlarged your photo it looked like the bottom of the bun had opened up rather than being solid all around the outside but with a hollow middle on the inside which is what I believe can happen if it rises too much. I've had the hollow middle happen with loaf bread.

Last edited by jackieba; 05-19-2007 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]OK. Thanks. Yes I know what a seam is, but when I read it the first time, I read "steam" on the first line. I did read seam after that. LOL[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]No, the roll had not been opened up. That is just the way they came out of the oven. In the dish, they looked so beautiful, like the one on the right that I left top up. But then when I took them out, the bottom was open like it shows, and they were hollow about 3/4 the way up. As I said, no seams in the dough. I thought they were flat, but I'm beginning to wonder if I had made indentions in the bottom without realizing it. Next time I will sure what out for that. Maybe that is what happened. Then I guess I let them rise too long. I've forgotten for sure now, but I think I checked them & took them out at about 45 min, but then they would have risen about another 15 min while the oven came up to 350. It probably reached that before 15 min, but I got busy somewhere else, and didn't get them put in the oven till around 15 min. Soooooo guess they did rise about an hour.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I've had loaf bread that had a hollow top before too. My loaf didn't do that. It did have one hole in it toward one end, about the middle. Not really small, but not really large either. Can't think of anything to compare it to. But it was probably a bubble in the dough. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Thanks for all your help. I've never been very good at yeast breads. These breads of Kevins have been my best ever! Thanks Kevin.[/COLOR]

Old 05-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #738
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stickergoddess
Stats: 182/154/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 11/03/2012
Quote:
When I was making these buns and got the dough to a rollable state I kept thinking that it reminded me of another dough I had made in the past but it didn't come to me right then.
This morning when I was deciding what to make for lunch......it hit me like a ton of bricks.

So I made a batch of this dough to the point of the directions above and split the dough in half wraped part and refridgerated it.

The other half I stretched out onto a 12 pizza pan, topped with sauce, pepperoni, and cheese.

Then in a preheated 425 oven I baked it for 15 to 20 min.....closer to 15.

Low and behold....LQQK what I found.........

Can you spell Pepperoni Pizza for 2.5 carbs per slice.
I finally made the pizza using the roll recipe with carbquick. I was doubtful using the carbquick because I thought it would be to biscuit like and have a carbquik taste. Well- this is my favorite pizza crust now. It is very good. I only put it in the fride for about two hours- it had no weird taste.
stickergoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #739
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Kevin,
I made your Carbalose #4 recipe this morning and I just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful recipe.

I’m sure this has been done before but I left out the last 3/4 cup of WPI 5000 and added 1/4 cup of organic stone ground whole wheat (1/4 cup=21g carbs and 3g fiber) so I’m guessing it will add 1 extra carb per slice.

We have always preferred whole wheat bread to white bread. I was very pleased with the results.

I’m sure you have been told thank you many times but it’s always nice to know that your hard work is appreciated.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #740
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks cricket, thats a nice looking loaf. I may have to break down and buy some wheat flour to try it.....lol
Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That loaf looks good cricket! I haven't gotten around to making bread again after my last episode, but you have me thinking - I have some dark rye flour, do you (or Kevin) think that 1/4 cup of that replacing the extra 3/4 WPI 5000 would work, maybe add some caraway seeds along with it? I love rye bread.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #742
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
Kevin, or anyone else, have you tried adding flax meal?
I would like to try some, but wouldn't know for sure how much, and would I sub it for some of the WPI?
Advice?
Thank you,
Vonny
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That loaf looks good cricket! I haven't gotten around to making bread again after my last episode, but you have me thinking - I have some dark rye flour, do you (or Kevin) think that 1/4 cup of that replacing the extra 3/4 WPI 5000 would work, maybe add some caraway seeds along with it? I love rye bread.
I've never worked with rye flour before so I really don't know; whole wheat flour sucks up a lot of moisture so I figured that the 1/4 cup of whole wheat would take up all the extra moisture in the dough and it did.

I don't know how much moisture rye flour will hold but if it doesn't hold enough you can always add the WPI as needed and you will still get the taste of the rye.
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #744
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnygirl View Post
Kevin, or anyone else, have you tried adding flax meal?
Vonny, I am not a fan of flax meal. I think I can say with all honesty that I have never liked anything I have ever made that had it as an ingredient.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I ordered my pampered chef 2qt glass bowl to bake this bread in! Can't wait to get it and try this!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #746
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That extra 3/4 cup of wpi 5000 has always been the tweaker ingredient. Some people say they need it or more some use less or don't need it at all. When I start to make a variation that is the place I always start.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Vonny, I added flax to it the time before I made this last loaf. I also added wheat bran at the same time tho. I liked it. But then I like flax. Problem is, I can't remember now how much I put in it. I thought I had made a note of it, but couldn't find the note. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I would have put it in this last loaf, but I forgot to. Depending on how well you like flax, I'd start out by adding 1/8 - 1/4 cup probably replacing some of the 3/4 cup of WPI. Add the flax, then add WPI as or if needed. [/COLOR]
Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Vonny, I am not a fan of flax meal. I think I can say with all honesty that I have never liked anything I have ever made that had it as an ingredient.
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!!

Flax seed was one of the first low carb ingredients that I bought at WalMart to make the recipe in the sticky thread (FLAX MUFFIN/BREAD - all my research!) All I can figure is that this must be an acquired taste!!

I ground up just enough in my coffee grinder to make the bread...I took one bite of the bread threw the whole thing in the trash and went outside and dumped the box of flax seed in the corn mix that I feed my ducks.
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #749
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Tweaker,
I've made rye bread a few times now--I use the Carbalose #1 recipe and sub 2/3 cup of the Carbalose with the same amount of rye flour and add 2 tablespoons Caraway seeds. Turned out very good--it's now a staple here for Reubens, which we love. So I'd suggest subbing the Carbalose instead of the WPI 5000.

I also made pumpernickel rolls yest to go with Bratwurst and a mock german potato salad (same as the regular rye bread but I added one tblsp cocoa and 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses to get the dark color).
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #750
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
--I use the Carbalose #1 recipe
Jackie I am curious, when you use the Carbalose #1 recipe for whatever, do you use half water/half milk or all milk or does it depend?