Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]Yeah, guess they want to keep the recipes a secret from the rest of us. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #512
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...a500/rolls.jpg

I made these sandwich/ hot dog rolls a few days ago. Made a Kevin basic white dough, a hybrid of his #1 and #4 (don't have any NOT sugar, and didn't use a gaur or xanthum, but added extra splenda..Mixed and kneaded in the bread machine for 8 minutes. Then took it out ,gently formed into a ball and cut the dough in half lengthwise, forming each new half gently into a ball and cutting them lengthwise so I ended up with eight pieces, which I gently shaped into rolls. The I let it rise for an hour. Then brushed some egg yolk on it and sprinkled onion flakes, kosher salt and poppy seeds, and baked for about 17 minutes.
They're big enough to get a fair amount of meat and cheese stuffed into 'em, along with a bit of lettuce. I'm pretty pleased.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
OK you guys! Look...it's a moderate carb recipe that worked really well for me but would be shunned by most LCer's. I had also collaborated on the recipe with a well-respected cookbook author who had requested that I NOT share the recipe after she agreed to publish it in a forthcoming book. However...I have since been informed she is not publishing any more LC cookbooks and enough time has passed that it is OK for me to release the recipe. With that said, there is a portion of the recipe that is copyright protected and I don't want to violate any laws.

I know...I know...I ALWAYS have a story attached to everything! Anyway, Kevin, Billie...PM on the way!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 AM   #514
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
I made these sandwich/ hot dog rolls a few days ago.

The rolls look good Ira.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
So, Donna, would you mind sharing that with one more moderate LCer?
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...a500/rolls.jpg

I made these sandwich/ hot dog rolls a few days ago. Made a Kevin basic white dough, a hybrid of his #1 and #4 (don't have any NOT sugar, and didn't use a gaur or xanthum, but added extra splenda..Mixed and kneaded in the bread machine for 8 minutes. Then took it out ,gently formed into a ball and cut the dough in half lengthwise, forming each new half gently into a ball and cutting them lengthwise so I ended up with eight pieces, which I gently shaped into rolls. The I let it rise for an hour. Then brushed some egg yolk on it and sprinkled onion flakes, kosher salt and poppy seeds, and baked for about 17 minutes.
They're big enough to get a fair amount of meat and cheese stuffed into 'em, along with a bit of lettuce. I'm pretty pleased.
Yes...they do look scrumptious! I like that you were able to use the bread machine to develop the dough as I just don't like working with that sticky WPI! It's just a personal preference.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshields View Post
So, Donna, would you mind sharing that with one more moderate LCer?
Good thing you caught me before I left for San Diego! PM on the way...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #518
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
And Donna, while you are at it...please?
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Ira, those rolls look delicious! Great job!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #520
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Ira, those rolls are BEAUTIFUL! You should be proud.

Bella, the closest I have come to a really crusty bread - the kind you and I probably grew up on - has been the sourdough LC bread baked in the Le Creuset dutch oven. I'm going to continue to work on that.

Everybody else, I don't think I'll get in trouble for this since I'm really giving her a plug here, but the recipe Donna is talking about comes from one of Jennifer Eloff's book. She doesn't use all the new stuff (resistant starrch, for example) a lot of us are experimenting with, but she has some mighty fine recipes. Check her out.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Problem with Carbalose Bread #4

It doesn't rise above the pan. It doesn't rise like carbalose #1.

What's wrong? This is the 4th loaf of bread I have made from this recipe. I have a lot of bread crumbs now.

Is it because I am using a food processor? Do I need more liquid? Is it the not/sugar?

I don't understand? Help.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #522
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
Problem with Carbalose Bread #4

It doesn't rise above the pan. It doesn't rise like carbalose #1.

What's wrong? This is the 4th loaf of bread I have made from this recipe. I have a lot of bread crumbs now.

Is it because I am using a food processor? Do I need more liquid? Is it the not/sugar?

I don't understand? Help.
I'm not sure I understand either. #4 rises every bit as much as #1 for me and as far as I know the only difference is I am not using a food processor.
Does anybody else using a food processor get less of a rise with #4?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #523
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Ginny,

Could you point me to which one of Eloff's books the recipe is in? I have all of them....

Thanks!
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...500/bagels.jpg

I made bagels. Though they taste good, I can't consider this a success. For some reason, the dough was especially sticky. I intended on boiling the bagels, and some previous attempts failed because the bagels disintegrated in the boiling water. So this time I figured extra WPI 5000 would help. And it did in the sense that the bagels held together in the boiling water, but maybe the extra WPI 5000 added to the stickiness/difficulty in not getting sticky dough all over everything?
Once boiling, the bagels got really big, and even though I made only four bagels(half a batch of Kevn white bread #4) and even though I only boiled only two at a time, I may have used a pot that was too small. The bagels expanded and flattened out a lot. But I removed them from the water, brushed with egg and sprinkled with onion, poppy and salt, and baked for 20 minutes. the onion got a little burned. The bagels are too flat on bottom, and they don't have that outer crunch/soft on the inside good mouth feel that real New York or Montreal bagels have. They're more of a cross between a bagel and a Kaiser roll. And at 4 net carbs per, they pack a lot of punch for few net carbs. And they do taste good. But it's a lot of pain in the butt labor, and messy.
So...what'd I do wrong?
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Decodiana...

I just looked in all my Jennifer Eloff books. Funny thing, but the exact recipe Donna PM'ed me is different than the ones that appear in two of the books. Splendid Low-Carbing has two recipes, pages 104 and 105 ane Splendid Low-Carbing for Life has one on page 69. I haven't the foggiest idea what is going on here. I do find the index method used in these books to be difficult so perhaps I've overlooked it. However, I just tried to forward you the PM from Donna. Let me know if you get it. I can be a real technical ignoramus!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks, Ginny for those references and page numbers. . .I also have found the index less than helpful in the past.

I'm not sure if I can afford the (whole wheat) carbs at this time in my life. . .having upped them for oats (for the heart). It's a balancing act. . .and the verdict is still out. . .until I have blood work done in about 6-7 weeks if the oats have helped. I love them, but they are a trigger for hunger, some days. . .again, sorry about the personal threadjack.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Good thing you caught me before I left for San Diego! PM on the way...
I hate to be a party-pooper, but a few things come to mind here as I watch this particular thread's traffic:
  • it's just as much a violation of copyright to PM these as to post these recipes (it's the disseminating that makes it so), assuming it's a legal agreement you have made about the whole text of your recipe to be published in another's book
  • a list of ingredients is not copyrightable, but the rest of the text is (so you could share that aspect of the recipe if you wish)
  • and didn't you say that the particular recipe under discussion (pizza>) was agreed for a future book but that wasn't happening? I believe you're off the hook, then
  • and finally, the list of ingredients with YOUR OWN WORDS only as the rest of the text is YOUR copyright, not anything that's been (a) altered for publication and (b) as published by someone else -- and it does sound like it's been altered? Or something has been altered? Pretty confusing, firstly a pizza that's not going to be published, then 3 page references to recipes that appear to have been published and altered...

Old 02-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
I hate to be a party-pooper, but a few things come to mind here as I watch this particular thread's traffic:
  • it's just as much a violation of copyright to PM these as to post these recipes (it's the disseminating that makes it so), assuming it's a legal agreement you have made about the whole text of your recipe to be published in another's book
  • a list of ingredients is not copyrightable, but the rest of the text is (so you could share that aspect of the recipe if you wish)
  • and didn't you say that the particular recipe under discussion (pizza>) was agreed for a future book but that wasn't happening? I believe you're off the hook, then
  • and finally, the list of ingredients with YOUR OWN WORDS only as the rest of the text is YOUR copyright, not anything that's been (a) altered for publication and (b) as published by someone else -- and it does sound like it's been altered? Or something has been altered? Pretty confusing, firstly a pizza that's not going to be published, then 3 page references to recipes that appear to have been published and altered...

Thanks Jude for clearing that up for me. A while back I participated in another forum and someone posted a copyrighted recipe, WORD-FOR-WORD, and although she gave credit to the author AND raved about how wonderful the recipe was, the author actually joined the board and rather scolded her. I have been especially careful about that issue ever since.

However, when I change the ingredients or method of preparation, then yes...the recipe becomes mine and I go ahead and publish it.

And regarding the "agreement" to publish the recipe, I did keep my end of the agreement by not disclosing the recipe when she was going to publish, but I DO however, have an email that specifically states that she is NO longer publishing cookbooks so I agree that I am for the most part, off the hook there.

So even though this has absolutely nothing to do with Kevin's Simple White Bread recipe, for those interested, here is MY pizza crust recipe for moderate LCer's. Perhaps now we can all get back to making regular white bread, hmmm?

Donna’s REAL Italian Pizza Crust!

1/3 - 1/2 C. warm water (105 degrees)
1 TB. Extra virgin olive oil

1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/8 C. Oat Bake Mix (recipe follows)
1/3 C. Bob’s Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten
1 tsp. sugar

3/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast

Extra Bake Mix (if needed)
1 TB Extra virgin olive oil

In pan of bread machine, place all ingredients in order according to manufacturer’s instructions. Program bread machine for a 15 minute knead cycle. (I use the ExpressBake setting, stopping it after it has completed kneading the dough.) About half way through the knead cycle, check to be sure the dough is very smooth and NOT sticky. If it is sticky, add more Bake Mix, a little at a time until the smooth texture is reached. Allow to finish kneading. When the knead cycle has finished, stop machine and remove dough.

Turn oven to 400.

Roll out dough slightly larger than a small cookie sheet (13” X 9”). The dough will be resilient, but will eventually roll into a nice, thin piece of dough. Place the dough into the pan and gently adjust to fit as necessary. Pour extra olive oil onto the dough, spreading with hand. Using a plastic fork, gently poke holes in several places on bottom of the dough. Cover edges with foil.

Par-bake in the lower third of the oven for about 5 minutes. Turn pan around and continue baking another 5 minutes. Remove, top with favorites and return completed pizza to oven. Finish baking until topping begins to brown and pizza is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Depending on your oven, you also might want to place the pizza under the broiler for 1-2 minutes for nice color!

Remove immediately from pan to cutting board and cut into 8 HUGE square pieces 3-1/4” X 4-1/2”

Serves 4: 2 slices each
Crust works out to be approx. 4 g. carbs per slice!

Oat Bake Mix
1-1/2 C. finely ground almonds or almond flour
1 C. oat flour
1/2 C. Bob’s Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten (6 g. carbs per 1/4 C.)
Mix everything together, store in refrigerator.

Editor’s Note: This recipe produces an excellent crust that is remarkably close to the ‘real’ thing; thin, but not hard, slightly chewy with a crisp exterior finish. At 1/3 the original carbs per piece, it is definitely a KEEPER!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Donna & Magnamater

Donna, your recipe looks like it could also easily be made into foccacia. Ever try it?

Magnamater, my sourdough bread recipe makes a very crispy pizza crust if you like that type. I can get two very large crusts from one bread recipe. No oats, if that's a trigger for you, but there is about 1/2 cup regular wheat flour from the starter. Carb count is just under four per slice if you cut the pizza in eight slices.

Ginny
Old 02-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Donna, your recipe looks like it could also easily be made into foccacia. Ever try it?

Magnamater, my sourdough bread recipe makes a very crispy pizza crust if you like that type. I can get two very large crusts from one bread recipe. No oats, if that's a trigger for you, but there is about 1/2 cup regular wheat flour from the starter. Carb count is just under four per slice if you cut the pizza in eight slices.

Ginny
Ginny,

My pizza dough actually bakes thin and crispy also (more so if you add more oil to the bottom), but to answer your question about foccacia, no..I've never tried it. It sort of conjures up the following image in my head...there I am in the kitchen, all happy and pleasant, forming the dough on the pan, pressing dimples into it, dribbling on some delicious olive oil, perhaps a little fresh garlic and sprinkling with rosemary and coarse salt. (Fast Forward to post bake.) There I am in the kitchen, sitting on the floor, stuffing the last of the bread into my mouth with the 'crazed' look of a true drug addict looking for the next "fix..."

Nahh...I think I'll just stick to the basics... .
Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998

Quote:
There I am in the kitchen, sitting on the floor, stuffing the last of the bread into my mouth with the 'crazed' look of a true drug addict looking for the next "fix..."

Last edited by theislandgirl; 02-16-2007 at 12:59 AM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:39 AM   #532
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: debbierosegarden
Thanks

Thanks to kisal & jackieba for your replies to my question about soya flour bread recipies & bread machines!
I'm going to browse through the other bread recipies & experiment with those instead I think! Theres some really nice sounding ideas - just hope I can get my results to look as good as yours!!
debbierosegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #533
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks, Donna, I'm excited as it is oats I have added to my diet. . .so your recipe fits right in! (guess I'll have to watch what I pile on top of my pizza, or I negate any health bene's!)

Ginny, to clarify, whether or not a trigger for me, I'm intentionally including oats in my diet, for heart health, and the decider for me whether to continue with oats will be blood work results. Yes, lc has been good for my blood chemistry, but I want to go the extra mile, being more at risk for heart problems than the average person.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #534
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post

OMG!!!! THAT'S the look I get!!!! ...licking the last of the crumbs from the baking pan...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #535
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Donna’s REAL Italian Pizza Crust!

1/3 - 1/2 C. warm water (105 degrees)
1 TB. Extra virgin olive oil

1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/8 C. Oat Bake Mix (recipe follows)
1/3 C. Bob’s Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten
1 tsp. sugar

3/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast

Extra Bake Mix (if needed)
1 TB Extra virgin olive oil

In pan of bread machine, place all ingredients in order according to manufacturer’s instructions. Program bread machine for a 15 minute knead cycle. (I use the ExpressBake setting, stopping it after it has completed kneading the dough.) About half way through the knead cycle, check to be sure the dough is very smooth and NOT sticky. If it is sticky, add more Bake Mix, a little at a time until the smooth texture is reached. Allow to finish kneading. When the knead cycle has finished, stop machine and remove dough.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
Can this be made in a bread machine? Is so, what order would the ingredients go in? [/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Each bread machine has it's own order of ingredients, but after changing bread machines 3 times, I just got into the habit of adding the water, olive oil and salt in first. Then I add the dry ingredients on top of that and lastly, the yeast. Works for me.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Each bread machine has it's own order of ingredients, but after changing bread machines 3 times, I just got into the habit of adding the water, olive oil and salt in first. Then I add the dry ingredients on top of that and lastly, the yeast. Works for me.
Thanks RV.....May if I read all of the the instructions, I would have seeen the instructions for the bread machine. I am going to try to make this this weekend.
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslaster View Post
Thanks RV.....May if I read all of the the instructions, I would have seeen the instructions for the bread machine. I am going to try to make this this weekend.
Well...I was trying to be kind and not point out the obvious...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #539
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: epix
Stats: 426/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
Hey Kevin, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Netrition last week and gave my girlfriend your pizza recipe. She made it and it tasted VERY good. I'm use to the carbquick dough only recipe and yours by far is much better. I ended up using carbalose instead of carbquick but it was still excellent!

Only problem I had was she used the recipe just as you posted but we put it into one pizza on like a 18x10 baking sheet, the dough came out pretty thick. Next time I'll just reduce the amounts used, but overall this is now my favorite LC treat. Gf was even amazed how good it was. Thanks for sharing!!!

7/1/04 - Weight: 426lb - Start of Atkins
4/8/06 - Weight: 211lb - Down 215lbs!
7/1/10 - Weight: 377lb - Eek!! Restart!
6/1/12 - Weight: 205lb - That's more like it

Member BootCampCharlie Challenge
epix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #540
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix View Post
Only problem I had was she used the recipe just as you posted but we put it into one pizza on like a 18x10 baking sheet, the dough came out pretty thick. Next time I'll just reduce the amounts used, but overall this is now my favorite LC treat. Gf was even amazed how good it was. Thanks for sharing!!!
Pete, remember that recipe makes enough for two 12 inch pizza's.