Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #481
MnM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MnM
I made the pizza this evening (minus the not/Sugar as I didn't have it) and we loved it. THANK YOU! My husband and I haven't had any sort of "bread" in about 6 weeks, so this was such a treat. I almost felt naughty.
MnM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
carbquik bread

We just tried making this wonderful bread Kevin. Here are our results:
IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #483
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Looks good!
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #484
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
We just tried making this wonderful bread Kevin.
Very nice rise from the Carbquik recipe Rose.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #485
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LoveMyGSDs
Stats: original:240/150/150 (24/6/8) current: 194/178/150
WOE: Atkins (1999 version-total carbs)
Start Date: original: 9/12/2001 current: 1/2/2007
soft pretzels

Kevin,

Do you think I could get you to work on a soft pretzel dough?
LoveMyGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #486
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGlaze View Post
Kevin,

you must have read my mind, i was just thinking the same thing. i want a pretzel and some good choc cake.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #487
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
you must have read my mind, i was just thinking the same thing. i want a pretzel and some good choc cake.
I actually had a dream that I ate a soft pretzel the other night. I think that's the bread-like item I miss the most!

I found a high-carb recipe for a flourless chocolate cake and just modified it to make it l.c. It was SO yummy!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

when i go into a mall, i have to really avoid the auntie annie pretzel stand. crap, it really p.o.'s me that i can't have what everybody else is having. oh well, maybe kevin can come up w/something close..have a great day! when you have time, can you post your recipe? thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #489
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGlaze View Post
Kevin,

Are you guys peeking at my to do list??

When I made the stomboli my DW said to me "I bet this would make a great soft pretzel" so I put it on my list.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #490
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Are you guys peeking at my to do list??

When I made the stomboli my DW said to me "I bet this would make a great soft pretzel" so I put it on my list.
I wish I could peek at your list. I hope it's near the top!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #491
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
SAGlaze,

Sorry to threadjack here, but care to share your flourless chocolate cake recipe by starting another thread?
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #492
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
SAGlaze,

Sorry to threadjack here, but care to share your flourless chocolate cake recipe by starting another thread?
Sure, but it's going to have to be tomorrow. I'm getting ready to leave work now. I'll write myself a note.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #493
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davem
Just thought I'd leave a note about freezing the pizza dough. I made a batch a couple of weeks ago, made one pizza and froze the other half of the dough. Today I thawed it and stretched it out (just like fresh) and made a pizza roll. It rose very nicely in the oven. Lunch tomorrow!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:55 AM   #494
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kdownbeat
Thanks to Kpa for all the great stuff,

I've made the Carbalose #4 three times now, but curiously on two occasions the rolls came out like sponges, heavy on the LC bake taste and unpleasant, and one time just right. Is there anything about performing the rise/proof that will affect the spongy texture positively or negatively, as its been a real crapshoot.

Thanks
kdownbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #495
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdownbeat View Post
Thanks to Kpa for all the great stuff,

I've made the Carbalose #4 three times now, but curiously on two occasions the rolls came out like sponges, heavy on the LC bake taste and unpleasant, and one time just right. Is there anything about performing the rise/proof that will affect the spongy texture positively or negatively, as its been a real crapshoot.

Thanks
I was told a long time ago the less you handle your dough the better the texture will be. This goes for high and low carb breads but especially low carb breads that you only get one rise out of. That or adding too much wpi 5000 during the knead would be my only guesses without being able to watch what you do when making it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #496
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
SAGlaze,

I just posted it. Search for a thread with your screen name in the title.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
How about bagels?

I've tried in the past with mostly pretty bad results, but that was in the past not using things like carbalose and resistant starch..
So, Kevin, if you've got some dough made for soft pretzels, how about being the guinea pig for bagels?
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Ira,

I tried to do bagels with my sourdough bread recipe (see Sourdough Saga, chapter 4). The dough did not hold up well to the boiling process that precedes baking. I did bake some dough in a pan for making baked doughnuts. The shape was excellent, if smaller, than regular bagels and the pan's form allows for very good all-over crustiness. However, that chewy, dense bagel mouthfeel was lacking. But we still enjoyed them and I'll continue to do them.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #499
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Thank you Kevin. The bread looks just like regular bread. My sister-in-law and I were thrilled it was so high. And we got ten rolls using the carbquik bread recipe, rising and cooking in the bowls. I also second the preztel recipe. Thanks for the wonderful recipes. Esther and Becca
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
Thanks rexreine. I wonder if that good mouth feel from bagels comes from the boiling process.
I know that some of the big bagel chains steam rather than boil their bagels.
They are less authentic, but not bad. What if we could find a way to steam LC bagels rather than boil prior to baking?
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm....

Good idea about the steaming, Ira. I suppose one could use either an Asian bamboo steamer or some kind of round cooling rack suspended over a pot of boiling water. Sure hadn't thought about that one!

Do you remember the LC bagel recipe you used before the advent of all our new-fangled ingredients? I ran across one recently that used mostly vital wheat gluten, a bit of both pecan meal and protein powder, an egg, and yeast, among other things. The recipe's contributer swore they were "delish", though a little tricky to get the hang of. One of the things I've noticed about the evaluations many people give the various LC substitutes is , IMO, unwarranted enthusiasm. I'm guessing that's because many LC'ers haven't had some of their favorite comfort foods in a long, long time and are just so happy to have something ressembling them that they suspend critical judgment. I understand that, but, if for example, I can't make or buy a really good LC doughnut, then I'll take an excellent LC muffin. Happily, though, the new ingredients available to us means we're into a new generation of much better end-products.

Ginny
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Steam in a rice cooker??
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
...Do you remember the LC bagel recipe you used before the advent of all our new-fangled ingredients? I ran across one recently that used mostly vital wheat gluten, a bit of both pecan meal and protein powder, an egg, and yeast, among other things. The recipe's contributer swore they were "delish", though a little tricky to get the hang of. One of the things I've noticed about the evaluations many people give the various LC substitutes is , IMO, unwarranted enthusiasm. I'm guessing that's because many LC'ers haven't had some of their favorite comfort foods in a long, long time and are just so happy to have something ressembling them that they suspend critical judgment. I understand that, but, if for example, I can't make or buy a really good LC doughnut, then I'll take an excellent LC muffin. Happily, though, the new ingredients available to us means we're into a new generation of much better end-products.

Ginny
Oh Ginny...that reminds me of my first foray into the world of LC pizza crust recipes. Coming from a rather traditional Italian family, I learned to make pizza from my mom who learned how to make it from her mom and so on. I was REALLY missing my pizza. I was hesitant to try a LC recipe, but I was a member of this other board...way back when...(don't even remember what the name was )...anyway, everyone there swore that this particular pizza crust recipe was the BOMB! It supposedly had everything going for it, just like REAL pizza crust: great texture and taste could be mine if I just purchased WPI and followed the recipe.

At the time, WPI came in only 5 lb. bags and was a bit more costly than it is now and I had to wait due to a backorder. I was sure, I reasoned, that the product was backordered because everyone must have figured out how to make delicious low carb baked goods with WPI!!!!! ...

So after waiting breathlessly for 2 weeks, the WPI FINALLY arrived! I got out the recipe, cleared my kitchen table and mixed everything according to my printed page. I couldn't believe how much like glue the stuff was. Problem was...I...just...coudn't...get...it...off...my...hands.. .or...table!!! OK...I powered through that part and spread it out (if I remember correctly.) It had a curious odor that I couldn't quite put my finger on at the time. When my timer went off, I pulled the crust out of the oven to taste.

Now remember, I had VERY high expectations...which were quickly destroyed with one bite. OMG... ...I couldn't believe I was eating something that tasted like...a melted rubber ball!!! Were THEY serious???? Great taste and texture??? Where the heck were they eating pizza????? At the backdoor of a rubber band factory??????

That single experience "soured" me to ever using the stuff again. Although I must admit that I have purchased both WPI 5000 and 8000 just to start experimenting again .

Anyway, the moral of my (rather long) story is that LC cooking and baking has come a really long way since the "old" days so while it is always prudent to approach LC food with a discerning palate, GREAT recipes can be found...if you keep looking. Oh...and I did finally did master the art of a fabulous LC pizza crust which served me well when I was LCing.

Unwarranted enthusiasm? Perhaps. But I do consider myself very picky about how things taste and I have allowed that to be the final "say-so" in everything I try.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Donna, loved the story I remember thinking if I tried to wash my bowls etc. after working with WPI back then, I was surely going to clog the kitchen sink pipes-it was go "glue" like.
Please could you share your pizza recipe? Thanks! kathy
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Donna, you had me...

...laughing out loud! I, too, come fron an Italian family (all four grandparents were immigrants) so I'm picky about some things also. I loved my pastas, pizzas, and crusty breads. And I used to make some awfully good arancini...can find nothing that substitutes for those golden-fried babies! Cauliflower "rice" just doesn't cut it! I was overjoyed to find Dreamfields, even if we don't eat it every week, let alone more than once a week as was common among most Italian-Americans. I guess the reason why I've been spending so much time on the bread and pizza is because those foods are my real comforts. I'd give up a sweet for a piece of honest, crusty bread any day of the week. Now, DH is a Southerner and he'd love a really good cornbread (and true yellow cake). I'm trying hard for both of those but don't have anything yet I'd care to brag about.

But my Big Skies flour came today. I'll be in the kitchen soon!

Ginny
Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #506
Major LCF Poster!

Kathy: I sent you a PM

Ginny: Funny how the taste and preparation of foods is ruled so heavily by genetics. My ex-MIL used to watch me whip up a pot of spaghetti sauce during the week and marvel at how I just knew what to add. No biggie for me...I grew up with it so I would just casually look over at her and say..."genetics..." and smile. I don't think she really 'got' it, but nonetheless, it's definitely true.

Mastering the art of bread baking was something I worked hard on for years. I used to dream about having an outdoor brick oven like my great-aunt had in her backyard in Blue Island, IL. Well...I never got the oven, but after packing on the pounds it was easy to see that bread was a true trigger-food for me...sigh... I guess it was a good thing to finally figure that out!!!

If you're in Scottsdale and I'm in Yuma, I'll bet my flour came late today too. Too bad I'll be out of town until Thursday evening which means I won't be getting the flour until Friday. I'm sure you'll get in an experiment or two before I get back so I will be checking in to see how you've done.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Donna, if you don't mind, could you PM your pizza recipe, too? I'm very curious about it. My last pizza was the sourdough crust and we really liked it, but you never know what else is out that could be better!

I'll probably be baking something up again this weekend and will post.

Ginny
Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Donna, if you don't mind, could you PM your pizza recipe, too? I'm very curious about it. My last pizza was the sourdough crust and we really liked it, but you never know what else is out that could be better!

I'll probably be baking something up again this weekend and will post.

Ginny
Looking forward to your test results! PM on the way...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #509
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Kathy: I sent you a PM.
Quote:
Donna, if you don't mind, could you PM your pizza recipe, too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Looking forward to your test results! PM on the way...

I guess you guys want to share the posts of amusing stories, just not the recipes?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #510
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
...laughing out loud! I, too, come fron an Italian family (all four grandparents were immigrants) so I'm picky about some things also. I loved my pastas, pizzas, and crusty breads. And I used to make some awfully good arancini...can find nothing that substitutes for those golden-fried babies! Cauliflower "rice" just doesn't cut it! I was overjoyed to find Dreamfields, even if we don't eat it every week, let alone more than once a week as was common among most Italian-Americans. I guess the reason why I've been spending so much time on the bread and pizza is because those foods are my real comforts. I'd give up a sweet for a piece of honest, crusty bread any day of the week. Now, DH is a Southerner and he'd love a really good cornbread (and true yellow cake). I'm trying hard for both of those but don't have anything yet I'd care to brag about.

But my Big Skies flour came today. I'll be in the kitchen soon!

Ginny
hi my fellow italians! i too, would glady give up something sugary for the almighty hunk of bread! i LOVE IT... i really am a bread a holic, i need help i think. no, really this bread thread has been a diet saver for me. i love being able to have a sandwich for lunch. now,if only we could get a good crusty bread going here!