Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #421

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
I've made hamburger buns using the recipe from Kevin's simple white bread thread. Turned out very good. The ones I normally make (my own recipe) are a little softer on top but I think that's because I use Hood milk (no water) and butter for the fat instead of oil.
Thanks for the tip Jackie. Since I already use butter in the carbalose #4 recipe I decided to try your suggestion of all Hood milk (no water) for dinner tonight.
It was well worth the try.

* 1 cup warm CC milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbalose
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed until the dough pulles away from the sides of the mixing bowl and climbes up the hook.
Divide dough into 6th and form into bun shape and place into 6 lighly greased cereal size ceramic dishs arranged on a cookie sheet.
Let rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm draft free place till dough doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place cookie sheet on middle rack in preheated oven and bake 28 to 32 mins or until golden brown.

6 Buns approx 5 carbs each.

The last picture is a 1/2 lb. precooked weight cheeseburger.

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Kevin...those are absolutely PERFECT! Is there no limit to what you can do?????
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red]Thanks [COLOR=#000000]Zuleikaa [/COLOR][COLOR=red]I have a measuring spoon which is actually a scant Tablespoon. I weighed the instant yeast in it, and it is 8 gr full. But 1/2 Tbsp is only 6 oz. So I will probably use the 8 gr measure. (scant Tablespoon)[/COLOR][/COLOR]
I also use 1 1/2 Tsp. sugar.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #424
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
They look great Kevin.
Keep up the good work.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Btw, can you tell I have trouble eyeballing 1/6's. They are not quite uniform.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh...I thought you did that deliberately! You know...like larger ones for the adults and then smaller, child-sized portions???...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
Donna/RVcook,
i didn't use any regular flour in my rye bread, other than dark rye flour. But I subtracted 1/2 -2/3 of a cup of carbalose, and substituted 1/2-2/3 of a cup of dark rye..between the rye and the caraway seeds, you can't tell there's carbalose.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
Donna/RVcook,
i didn't use any regular flour in my rye bread, other than dark rye flour. But I subtracted 1/2 -2/3 of a cup of carbalose, and substituted 1/2-2/3 of a cup of dark rye..between the rye and the caraway seeds, you can't tell there's carbalose.
Thanks Ira. That's the clarification I was looking for. I don't "do" Carbalose OR Carbquik so I'm going to be running some experiments on using the basic recipe with some variations to accommodate regular whole wheat flour. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I weigh portions.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #430
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lehgrad
Stats: 170/139/135, 5'5"
WOE: IR Diet
Start Date: June '04
Quote:
Vicki, I give mine a light spray of pam or some such oil and cover mine with plastic wrap then set it in the microwave(off of course ) to rise. The oil keeps it from sticking to the plastic when it rises above the top of the pan. I guess foil would work too.
Thanks, Kevin! I don't know how you keep track of all these questions!! I tried that yesterday and it rose in the microwave to just about the saran wrap height... then in the oven it rose a little more so I was excited... and then...

I took it out of the oven and it deflated!!!! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I am going to try adding additional yeast next time and see what happens.

Oh, but it still tastes good, so I'm still happy
Lehgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehgrad View Post
Thanks, Kevin! I don't know how you keep track of all these questions!! I tried that yesterday and it rose in the microwave to just about the saran wrap height... then in the oven it rose a little more so I was excited... and then...

I took it out of the oven and it deflated!!!! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I am going to try adding additional yeast next time and see what happens.

Oh, but it still tastes good, so I'm still happy
Vicki, are you using Rapid rise yeast? This is very curious to me because I can't ever remember making a loaf of this bread and then have it deflating after I took it out of the oven done.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Kevin, forgive me if you've answered this before (as I've been "away,") but do you bake the buns in your bowls?? IMWTK! Cool way to make the buns round and (in my book) equal in size!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Kevin, forgive me if you've answered this before (as I've been "away,") but do you bake the buns in your bowls?? IMWTK! Cool way to make the buns round and (in my book) equal in size!
Yes Mag, they are ceramic bowls and safe for the oven and I needed something to give them room to expand individually while rising that would also double as a baking vessle so I didn't have to handle them after the rise. It is the first time I tried it but it worked well.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Kevin, I don't have any ceramic bowls but I do have corning ware. I've noticed you have some corning pieces. Can't they be used in the oven? I'd love to try the buns your way. I did some in my muffin top pans but I had to keep pressing them down to fill the pan to get the roll the right size so they didn't rise that much, they're good, but yours look like they are perfect! I have cereal bowls and another snack type bowl that is deeper and not as wide as the cereal bowl that may work. I'm just wondering about putting them in the oven. I have the corning casserole dishes etc. and I seem to remember that the plates and bowls can go in the oven too, just looking for some confirmation before I ruin 6 bowls!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:35 AM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Kevin, I don't have any ceramic bowls but I do have corning ware. I've noticed you have some corning pieces. Can't they be used in the oven? I'd love to try the buns your way. I did some in my muffin top pans but I had to keep pressing them down to fill the pan to get the roll the right size so they didn't rise that much, they're good, but yours look like they are perfect! I have cereal bowls and another snack type bowl that is deeper and not as wide as the cereal bowl that may work. I'm just wondering about putting them in the oven. I have the corning casserole dishes etc. and I seem to remember that the plates and bowls can go in the oven too, just looking for some confirmation before I ruin 6 bowls!
Both corning and pyrex are ok for baking. The ceramic cereal bowls I used were made by Williams-Sonoma and are 5 inches wide by 2 inches deep.

If you have any of the larger ramikins with the lids I bet they would work also.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Kevin. I just measured the bowls and I think the snack bowls will work better. The cereal bowls will make a narrower bottom and quite a wide top to the buns, assuming they rise to fill the bowl. The snack bowls are more uniform in size.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #437
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Vicki, are you using Rapid rise yeast? This is very curious to me because I can't ever remember making a loaf of this bread and then have it deflating after I took it out of the oven done.
Yes, I am! The top of it just kinda sunk in... it was a blow to my baking ego. Next time, I'll take pictures... I wish I could post videos!

I'm hopeless!!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #438
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Was it baked enough? I have had this happen, but thought it was maybe not quite baked enough.
Bett
Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #439
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranke View Post
Was it baked enough? I have had this happen, but thought it was maybe not quite baked enough.
Bett
hmmmm... well the top was browned. Maybe I could reduce the temp in the oven a little so I can cook it a little longer?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #440
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

That is rather what I have been trying. Usually when mine has fallen, when cooled, it was slightly doughy inside.
This darn LC stuff, really screws up 50+ years of cooking know how!
Bette
Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehgrad View Post
hmmmm... well the top was browned. Maybe I could reduce the temp in the oven a little so I can cook it a little longer?
It might be that it wasn't baked quite enough, I've noticed that these loaves brown up quickly.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #442
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

OK, thanks for the suggestions. Next time I bake bread, I will keep it in the oven for longer. I definitely wasn't baking it for as long as Kevin does but it seemed to brown pretty quickly so I thought it was done... but I'll keep it in for longer next time!
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #443
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
Those are some beautiful buns, Kevin!
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
when i used the muffin top pans, i have 2, i rolled the ball of dough, i had 12, and centered them in the middle of the circles. cover them w/saran wrap or glad sticky wrap. i didn't touch them after placing in the pan. after they rise, they were baked and they blew up, i mean twice the size as going in. when they came out they kinda settled down a bit and created a perfect seam to follow for slicing. try it one more time, just roll, place the dough in the center, cover and see what happens. hth...they came out the size of small soft balls, then settled down to lg buns! can you tell i am excited? i love this recipe!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #445
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I made some today using a muffin top pan (recipe was Carbalose #1 using Hood milk and 2 Tbsp butter):

After rising one hour:
[/IMG]

Right out of the oven:
[IMG][/IMG]
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #446
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
deleting duplicate post here

Last edited by jackieba; 02-08-2007 at 05:11 PM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bella and Jackie - thanks for posting your results with the muffin top pans. Wow Jackie, those pictures are great! Mine look just like yours when you first placed them in the pans. That's where I messed up. I kept flattening them down to fill out the whole round but with the elasticity of the dough they would reduce back and I'd press them down again and again and then they didn't rise nearly as much as yours. I can see by your second picture that I didn't need to do that at all. With you ladies help I will try the muffin tops again.

I can go to Kevin's bowl idea if it doesn't work out, but I think it will if I just put the dough in the pan and leave it alone!

Kevin, do you have muffin tops? I assume not since you used the bowls.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 02-08-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #448

Quote:
I do have muffin tops but chose not to use them for a couple of reasons. The first being I didn't want my buns touching...... Without knowing exactly how much they would raise I wanted them to be round and not joined together. Secondly after making several loaves of the No Knead Bread in the ceramic crock pot I like the way bread bakes in ceramic. It seems to be a much more even baking method. Eventually I plan to bake a loaf of my #4 carbalose bread in a covered crock without the 18 hour rise and see what results I get from that.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
a muffin top pan is what I plan to use when I get a chance to make these. Thanks for the pic, jackieba. Those are beauties!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Bella and Jackie - thanks for posting your results with the muffin top pans. Wow Jackie, those pictures are great! Mine look just like yours when you first placed them in the pans. That's where I messed up. I kept flattening them down to fill out the whole round but with the elasticity of the dough they would reduce back and I'd press them down again and again and then they didn't rise nearly as much as yours. I can see by your second picture that I didn't need to do that at all. With you ladies help I will try the muffin tops again.

I can go to Kevin's bowl idea if it doesn't work out, but I think it will if I just put the dough in the pan and leave it alone!

are those gorgeous or what? that's exactly how mine came out! gotta love them
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote