Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #391
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Yum, looks like the real deal!
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]My Ira that looks good! Except for those green peppers which I can't stand (they don't like me either).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]All these foods on this topic look really good!!!!! [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #393
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Pizza looks beautiful Ira. Next time I'll try the cheese on the bottom and the hotter oven temp. Thanks.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
thats a pretty good looking pizza. i am soooo confused right now. what recipe did you use? tia
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #395

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
thats a pretty good looking pizza. i am soooo confused right now. what recipe did you use? tia
Quote:
Kevin,
I don't have Carbquik, just carbalose. If I made your basic white bread dough( which I love), chilled it for five+hours, let it rise for 45, and then rolled it out and baked it, is there any reason that also wouldn't make a perfectly good pizza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Ira, the dough I used for the pizza has been tweaked from the original carbquik recipe youmay want to compare them 1st but I see no major reason why it should not work.....if you try it let us know how it turns out please.
HTH
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #396
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LoveMyGSDs
Stats: original:240/150/150 (24/6/8) current: 194/178/150
WOE: Atkins (1999 version-total carbs)
Start Date: original: 9/12/2001 current: 1/2/2007
I'm making a pizza tomorrow for the super bowl (making the dough tonight). I think I'm going to experiment and make a stuffed crust pizza, since I have a big bag of string cheese at home. Yummy!

I think I will continue the experiment and freeze half of the dough. I'm thinking I'll partially the pizza crust and freeze it that way. So, in two weeks, when I make the next pizza, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Last edited by LoveMyGSDs; 02-03-2007 at 05:39 AM..
LoveMyGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #397
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
ira that sure does look good... Yumm!

the pizza pan I have , has holes in it.... should make it good
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #398
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Bella - back on post 363 when you asked about proofing - I meant in the fridge for 5-6 hours before taking out to rise again before shaping and baking, as Kevin answered. I'm sorry for not responding - I've been away from the boards for a few days - trying to catch up!
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #399
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
im still tasting a pretty "sour" off taste to my bread. I made the crust and it was pretty good, i think the "stuff" on the pizza cut the taste, but the rolls i made from the other half were "off".

im using the carbolose version. Its kinda "sour" is that the off taste everyone is referring too? When you make sourdough bread does the off taste disappear due to the souring process (hidden in it?)

it's hard for me to get past, but i've been using less splenda than i think im supposed to because i have the old liquid (the VERY sweet version) and i never new how to convert the amount.

hopefully more splenda will cut that taste...

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Bella - back on post 363 when you asked about proofing - I meant in the fridge for 5-6 hours before taking out to rise again before shaping and baking, as Kevin answered. I'm sorry for not responding - I've been away from the boards for a few days - trying to catch up!
hi ya tweaker, that's ok, i have been busy too.. thanks for responding tho. i have been cooking all day. i made the cinn dough recipe, bread recipes, and let them proof in a ziploc bag 5 hrs. they blew up huge in the bag...ok, i thought this was gonna be great. when i started to seperate and roll into rolls, the dough kinda pooped out on me. they did not rise again and i couldn't get them to form a ball/roll. sooo.. next time i will roll out the balls of dough, let them raise and proof in the fridge in the same muffin top pan that i bake them in and they should be fine. by the way, i did save one roll and i rolled out very thin and fried pieces of it. i then added blueberry sf syrup drizzled over them. delish! thanks!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Nurseypoo, the reason ....

...I got into the sourdough (I have four long posts on the subject) in the first place was because of the off tastes I picked up from every bread recipe I had tried that used Carbquik or carbalose. I found I could eat those breads only if they were made into sandwiches or something else that contained strong-tasting ingredients to hide the off flavors. I thought I might get used to this "flavor" after awhile, but I didn't. Not all people even taste this - for example, my husband does not. Kevin's breads have certainly been the best of the Carbquik/carbalose recipes and he did a lot of fine, pioneering work on the texture of the breads. Until some other miracle "flour" ingredient comes along - one with no off flavors - I'll continue to use the sourdough method to make bread, buns, and pizza. It is truly not difficult; in fact, it's a lot of fun to watch the process.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Well I did carbalose #4 for a loaf of bread. I put it in the pan and put it in the refrigerator to proof. I took it out to finish rising. It didn't rise as much as the others and it fell in the oven.

I am so disappointed.

I think I'll try the loaf again without the proofing.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Bella - the fried dough sounds interesting. I may give it try one of these days.

Zuleikaa - sorry to hear that the bread fell, maybe someone else can shed some light on that. When I proofed my dough I rolled it in plastic wrap and it really expanded in that. When I took it out I punched it down and stretched it for pizza dough. I haven't done the proofing and made bread yet but plan to later. I have so much bread and rolls on hand and frozen now that I'm not baking anymore for a while.

Nursey - keep trying!

Ginny - I haven't tried a sourdough version yet but I used to make HC sourdough bread and rolls every week so I can't wait to get to try some.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
Well I did carbalose #4 for a loaf of bread. I put it in the pan and put it in the refrigerator to proof. I took it out to finish rising. It didn't rise as much as the others and it fell in the oven.

I am so disappointed.

I think I'll try the loaf again without the proofing.
Zuleikaa, the only time I proofed this recipe in the fridge was for the pizza and stomboli dough. When I made the bread I let it raise the regular way.
It was actually somebody who has a problem with the taste that suggested proofing it all the time. I actually like the taste of the bread when raised the regular way. JMO
Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #405
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lehgrad
Stats: 170/139/135, 5'5"
WOE: IR Diet
Start Date: June '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5 View Post
im still tasting a pretty "sour" off taste to my bread. I made the crust and it was pretty good, i think the "stuff" on the pizza cut the taste, but the rolls i made from the other half were "off".

im using the carbolose version. Its kinda "sour" is that the off taste everyone is referring too?
I didn't like the carbalose version #1. I really couldn't eat it. The carbquik version or the carbalose version with WPI (#4) are both really good options.

Quote:
Zuleikaa, the only time I proofed this recipe in the fridge was for the pizza and stomboli dough. When I made the bread I let it raise the regular way.
It was actually somebody who has a problem with the taste that suggested proofing it all the time. I actually like the taste of the bread when raised the regular way. JMO

Ugh! Has this been my problem?? I have been putting mine in the refridgerator to rise. The bread will rise a little bit and then a little more in the oven, but not even to the top of the baking dish!! So, it isn't supposed to be refridgerated? Just covered and left on the counter? I use aluminum foil to cover it, is that OK?
I'll be thrilled if this makes my bread rise more!!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehgrad View Post
Ugh! Has this been my problem?? I have been putting mine in the refridgerator to rise. The bread will rise a little bit and then a little more in the oven, but not even to the top of the baking dish!! So, it isn't supposed to be refridgerated? Just covered and left on the counter? I use aluminum foil to cover it, is that OK?
I'll be thrilled if this makes my bread rise more!!
Vicki, I give mine a light spray of pam or some such oil and cover mine with plastic wrap then set it in the microwave(off of course ) to rise. The oil keeps it from sticking to the plastic when it rises above the top of the pan. I guess foil would work too.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 02-05-2007 at 05:28 AM..
Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 AM   #407
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, I made the pizza dough on Saturday night, let it rise for an hour, then stuck it in the fridge over night. I left it out for a little over an hour before rolling it out.

I did find it VERY difficult to roll out (it too me 20 minutes just to roll out one pizza crust) and wonder if that happened because of proofing over night in the fridge?

I ended up using string cheese to make stuffed crust and it was awesome! DH and DSS loved it as well.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGlaze View Post
Well, I made the pizza dough on Saturday night, let it rise for an hour, then stuck it in the fridge over night. I left it out for a little over an hour before rolling it out.

I did find it VERY difficult to roll out (it too me 20 minutes just to roll out one pizza crust) and wonder if that happened because of proofing over night in the fridge?

I ended up using string cheese to make stuffed crust and it was awesome! DH and DSS loved it as well.
I have never let mine go over 8 hours(for stromboli) or 5 hours(for pizza).
The Stomboli dough I had to roll with a pin and I had to work at it but the more I rolled it the easier it got.
The pizza dough(at 5 hours) was stiff but I let it rest and rise a bit and was able to spread that with my hands.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Then I won't proof it except for pizza. I never had a problem with the bread rising before.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #410
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
I have never let mine go over 8 hours(for stromboli) or 5 hours(for pizza).
The Stomboli dough I had to roll with a pin and I had to work at it but the more I rolled it the easier it got.
The pizza dough(at 5 hours) was stiff but I let it rest and rise a bit and was able to spread that with my hands.
It did get easier as I rolled it. I rolled for a bit, the stretched with my hands, then rolled some more. Next time I don't think I'll make it the night before. I think I'll make it in the morning of the day I'm going to cook it and see if it's easier to roll.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
We used to fry dough on special holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter) and have it for breakfast. We would fry up a piece and then split in in half and put some butter on it and a sprinkle of salt and eat with eggs. Haven't tried this with the bread recipe, but did with an old pizza dough recipe that Kevin gave us that used resistant corn starch. That dough works very well as a 'doughboy' or fried dough as we use to call it. Thought Bella might be interested.
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
The "Simple White Bread-Carbalose #1) has been my universal dough lately.
That's what my pizza dough was. I've made several loaves of rye bread, substituting 1/2 a cup of dark rye flour for the same amount of carbalose, and adding 2 TBSP of caraway seeds...turns out great, especially covered with good pastrami.
I also used that same dough yesterday for cinammon rolls. OMG! is right. Dang!
I ate three of them!
In the past, a lot of low carb items I wouldn't gorge on because they didn't taste too good...This is pretty tempting.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIODOWS View Post
We used to fry dough on special holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter) and have it for breakfast. We would fry up a piece and then split in in half and put some butter on it and a sprinkle of salt and eat with eggs. Haven't tried this with the bread recipe, but did with an old pizza dough recipe that Kevin gave us that used resistant corn starch. That dough works very well as a 'doughboy' or fried dough as we use to call it. Thought Bella might be interested.
thanks, cmiodows, i did try the fried dough experiment and it was excellant. i rolled a piece of dough very thin and cut it into diamond shapes and then made a slit in each piece. then i fried two at time and drizzled sf blueberry syrup on some and cinn and splenda on the other. they were great, kinda tasted like donuts....
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:26 AM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
And don't forget the fried dough would be like sopapillas and beinets. . .oh boy!

I better save the fried dough for special rare occasions!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

instant yeast question for Kevin or other bakers

[COLOR=red]I'll be going back to the Carbalose #4 recipe next time I make bread. Kevin (or any other bread bakers) how much of the instant yeast (bought it for the noKnead bread) do you think I should use. I have several years supply now, so want to use it. [/COLOR]
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red]I'll be going back to the Carbalose #4 recipe next time I make bread. Kevin (or any other bread bakers) how much of the instant yeast (bought it for the noKnead bread) do you think I should use. I have several years supply now, so want to use it. [/COLOR]
Billie, the results seem close to rapid rise yeast so since 1 packet of RR yeast has 1/4 oz. or 7 g. my plans were to weigh out that amount and then see what its measure was so I could just use a measuring spoon next time. I don't believe a pinch more or less is a criticial thing.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Thanks Kevin![/COLOR]
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
The "Simple White Bread-Carbalose #1) has been my universal dough lately.
That's what my pizza dough was. I've made several loaves of rye bread, substituting 1/2 a cup of dark rye flour for the same amount of carbalose, and adding 2 TBSP of caraway seeds...turns out great, especially covered with good pastrami.
I also used that same dough yesterday for cinammon rolls. OMG! is right. Dang!
I ate three of them!
In the past, a lot of low carb items I wouldn't gorge on because they didn't taste too good...This is pretty tempting.
Ira,

I was following along with you on the Scott123 pizza thread a while back and I am interested to know if your used the Simple White Bread-Carbalose #1 and instead of using Carbalose, you used REGULAR flour? I see that you subbed rye flour for rye bread and I'm thinking that since I am one of those extremely taste sensitive persons who cannot tolerate the whole Carbalose/Carbquik taste, that working with the basic recipe using some regular flour might work out. Is this what you've done?
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Billie, the results seem close to rapid rise yeast so since 1 packet of RR yeast has 1/4 oz. or 7 g. my plans were to weigh out that amount and then see what its measure was so I could just use a measuring spoon next time. I don't believe a pinch more or less is a criticial thing.
I use a scant tablespoon.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Thanks [COLOR=#000000]Zuleikaa [/COLOR][COLOR=red]I have a measuring spoon which is actually a scant Tablespoon. I weighed the instant yeast in it, and it is 8 gr full. But 1/2 Tbsp is only 6 oz. So I will probably use the 8 gr measure. (scant Tablespoon)[/COLOR][/COLOR]