Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #301
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Sorry Kevin but each new adventure brings new possible stumbles.

For anyone that's not accustomed to making lowcarb bread, I'd suggest starting with one of the two original recipes. The last one is a step up, In my opinion. where you decide when you have added enough wpi 5000. The first two are basically foolproof if your yeast is good. They may rise more (or less) depending on your measurements but you should get a good loaf of bread regardless (as I mentioned the Carbalose one can rise very very high so only getting partially there you still have a good loaf of bread). Both of the orig recipes give you a good loaf of bread.

I will be trying the pizza starting tomorrow (so baking Tuesday) using the "newest" recipe but subbing Carbalose since I like that better. Will post the results (yes I will be using my bread machine).
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #302

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I put the other loaf in the freezer. I'll eat it some other time, or use it for something.[/COLOR]
I make bread crumbs out of my less desirable loaves. They are low carb and really open up some different possibilities in LC dishes.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #303
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Billie,
That's not a loaf pan I see. That's a casserole dish. If you want "regular loaf bread" go buy yourself a loaf pan--they're cheap. Even foil ones do fine. It should 10" long by 5 to 5 1/2" wide by 3-4" wide--long and narrow and deep compared to what you're using now. My basic pan was 10 x 5 x3 and the Carbalose loaf rose enough above that to "mushroom" out (that's what DH said it looked like in shape, as mushroom). But the Carbquick one did not do that. Since I prefer the Carbalose one, I went and bought the biggest I could find (a foil pan, 11 3/4x 5 1/2 by 4) and I put wadded up foil in the back to get it down to the length I want. That works well for me.

There is no such thing as "simple". We've both lived long enough to know that Kevin.
But I do appreciate your recipes. We each have a slice of the bread every morning.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]Jackie, I have several loaf pans, tho none like the ones you said you used. I used this one, because it seems to be just like (size & all, I looked up his post) the one Kevin used.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
It is a 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 pyrex dish.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Acutally most of my loaf pans are smaller than this one, a little. A couple are bigger, tho just a little longer. And not really trying to be argumenative here but, yes it is a loaf pan. A pyrex one. (OK so he just calls it a pyrex dish too. But I'm sure when I got it years ago, they called it a loaf pan.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I have way too many loaf pans to go buy more now. I just don't bake bread that much. This or one of my larger ones will do. But I do thank you for that info, and advise. I really do![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000]This one is Kevin's. It's from his first post on this thread.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kevins.jpg (41.5 KB, 25 views)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #305
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Sorry Billie. My mistake. It looked like a big casserole dish (like 8" square) from my view, must be the closeup or my eyesight which isn't what it should be. I felt bad after I posted anyway because we all use what we have. I hope it turned out well, and if not, if there's anything I can do to help, I'm privileged to offer whatever assistance I can. I don't consider myself a "baker" (except for that being my last name by marriage) but I try as we all do and it's a continuing learning process.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
Which recipe did you use? and what exactly if anything did you maybe change. This simple little white bread recipe has been changed to death

Debbie....
It was the carbalose dinner roll version, or was that the carbalose loaf version, or was it.... Wait a minute, that doesn't tell you anything, lol!!!

This is what I used with tweaks: Food Processor Method
* 1/2 cup bottled spring water--[COLOR="Red"]used regular filtered[/COLOR]
* 1/2 cup warm CC milk--[COLOR="red"]used all cream, didn't heat it[/COLOR]
* 2 large eggs--[COLOR="red"]used extra large[/COLOR]*
[COLOR="red"]* 1 Tsp. vanilla extract[/COLOR]
2 Tbsp. butter, [COLOR="red"]melted[/COLOR]
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbalose
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000--[COLOR="red"]added all at once[/COLOR]
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack--[COLOR="red"]drops of Sweetfreez[/COLOR]
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar--[COLOR="red"]1 1/2 tsp[/COLOR]
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast--[COLOR="red"]scant Tbsp[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]I mixed dry together in the food processor. Mixed liquid together well in a pourable container. With processor running, added liquid to dry. Processed until a ball and sides of processor were clean. Dough was tacky but not wet.[/COLOR]

My bread always rises well, it might be the extra sugar or that I use a little more yeast. Whatever, this bread is quick and easy.

I agree with Kevin that this version has the best flavor and texture. This version doesn't seem to have that sponge texture. I'll have to try it again to be sure, of course, lol!!!

Last edited by Zuleikaa; 01-28-2007 at 06:03 PM..
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
Sorry Billie. My mistake. It looked like a big casserole dish (like 8" square) from my view, must be the closeup or my eyesight which isn't what it should be. I felt bad after I posted anyway because we all use what we have. I hope it turned out well, and if not, if there's anything I can do to help, I'm privileged to offer whatever assistance I can. I don't consider myself a "baker" (except for that being my last name by marriage) but I try as we all do and it's a continuing learning process.
[COLOR=red]Don't feel bad. I was hoping I didn't sound mad or nasty. I really didn't mean to. Yes, it is hard to tell I guess in the pictures. I didn't take offense. Hope you didn't. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]And I did know that you were trying to help. I really do appreciate it!!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]It turned out very well. I really don't think that it would have risen quite enough in a larger pan. Course if it were longer & narrower, I guess it would. Tho the larger pans I have are a tad longer (just) they are also wider. I don't really think I want my loaves wider, so I'll probably stick with this one, or one of the metal pans that I have similarily sized. I just really hate to go buy another pan, when I have so many. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]As I've said before, I really have a hard time getting breads to rise here. I'm actually quite pleased with this one. And I think that tho my yeast is OK, when I get new, it may do even better. (maybe)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]And up to me, you are quite a baker. I've seen some of your creations (pics). And your tweaks, which worked quite well. I do want to try adding bran to this sometime. I think I will like that even better. Gotta try some burger buns too now, one of these days. Wish I had muffin top pans, but I don't, and don't feel like ordering any. I haven't seen any around anywhere. I'll just do them without, when I get around to trying them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Oh, yes & Kevin, I thought about bread crumbs. But I really don't use bread crumbs much. But it is a thought for the other bread. It actually tasted pretty good. But it does have more carbs, since it didn't make many slices.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Thanks again everybody. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I just went back and looked at my pics. I see what you mean. It does look like it could be an 8" square pan. I hadn't noticed that. Course I knew what I had. :-)[/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 01-28-2007 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: added note.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #308
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Zuleikae, This was the pizza you made, correct? That's what I planned to use (and adding all the wpi 5000 at once).
Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
It was the carbalose dinner roll version, or was that the carbalose loaf version, or was it.... Wait a minute, that doesn't tell you anything, lol!!!

that sounds exactly the way i do it too.

Deb
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Zuleikae, This was the pizza you made, correct? That's what I planned to use (and adding all the wpi 5000 at once).
Yes, I made pizza. And rolls. I haven't eaten the rolls yet.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
Nurseypoo5
I've always used my food processor to make Kevinpas bread recipes. IMO, it's fast and easy and makes a superior high rise loaf.

YEAH YIPPEEEE DOODLE DOOO!

ok, the second batch (the newer recipe) is what i did (see tweaks)..it worked out fine with the polyD but would add another 1tsp of splenda to it.

It rose beautifully, all the way to the top and had a much smoother appearance then the original carbquick bread, which was horrible (my mistakes to im sure..not kevins lol...i suck at this ) Still not at all sure what i did with the carbquick bread, but even the birds balked at it when i threw it outside. I'm at this point blaming it on the bread machine.

the food processor was a GEM. I just have a 30.00 black and decker processor and it did the trick in minutes. love it!

I ate the bread with the eggs in the middle, my non low carb daughter (who eats her wt in wonder bread and wieghs 100lbs..) said it was "ok" but a bit bitter, what does she know! I think it was wonderful!

thanks so much kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to everyone tweaking and helping

One saggy boob said to the other saggy boob:
"If we don't get some support soon, people will think we're nuts."

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Zuleikaa, just to be clear, your saying proofing the dough over night in the frig helped with the off taste correct?
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
Quote:
The food processor is very fast and easy,I haven't tried using my bread machine yet, maybe I'll drag it out and see if it's as simple. I'm still working on getting rid of "ALL" carbolose taste

the processor worked so much better than the bread machine...for those who havent tried the processor, but have one...go for it...i'll never use the bread machine again lol
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 AM   #314

FYI - There is now a recipe index at the bottom of page 1 for this thread.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranke View Post
I have read this thread over and over and over! Which is the best w/Carbalose and which is the best w/Carbquick? I don't want to taste the Vital Wheat Gluten (Yuck!) so think it has to be one with very little of WPI8000. I made the Oat Bread, and the Vital Wheat Gluten flavor is awful. I may try it again, with tweaks, but wanted to try it as written first.
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke-- Catching up with this thread, I noticed that you seem to share my distaste for a strong flavor of concentrated wheat protein--unlike Kevinpa and most of the posters in this thread (who are fortunate, since this is a low carb bread recipe that works). I'll be interested to see what variations on this (these) recipe(s) you might come up with, and in the results from the sourdough experiments.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #316
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kevin for the recipe index--it gets hard to find things when threads get long.

I'm planning to try pizza dough today and leave overnight in the fridge. Does yours rise in the fridge? High carb bread doughs did but the one time I tried lc pizza crust (Scott's) it did not rise in the fridge but it did when I put it on the counter the next day. I may have to give the food proc a try one of these days. Mine's big so it takes up alot of room in my dishwasher. I just wipe (if needed)/rinse my bread machine pan, takes only a minute. But it's nice to have options.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #317

Quote:
Thanks Kevin for the recipe index--it gets hard to find things when threads get long.

I'm planning to try pizza dough today and leave overnight in the fridge. Does yours rise in the fridge? High carb bread doughs did but the one time I tried lc pizza crust (Scott's) it did not rise in the fridge but it did when I put it on the counter the next day. I may have to give the food proc a try one of these days. Mine's big so it takes up alot of room in my dishwasher. I just wipe (if needed)/rinse my bread machine pan, takes only a minute. But it's nice to have options.
Yes it did rise Jackie. Not quite double but it did.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jackie - I made the pizza yesterday and it did rise in the refrigerator somewhat. Like Kevin said, probably not quite double but it did rise and then when I took it out of the fridge to rise it more than doubled from that stage. Made a great pizza!!

I made the rolls up right when I made the dough. Has anyone "proofed" the dough in the fridge for anything other than the pizza? I had one of the rolls for breakfast and I could taste something (that C-Q taste I guess) that I did not taste in the pizza crust. Maybe proofing the dough for anything will get rid of that taste. What do you think?

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #319
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Tweaker Geek, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the off taste has to be aged out!!! Wonder about making the loaf of bread, then instead of letting it sit to rise, putting it in the fridge over night, then finish rising in the AM and bake?

I want so to try some more bread....but, still have most of my Saturday loaf to finish first.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #320
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lehgrad
Stats: 170/139/135, 5'5"
WOE: IR Diet
Start Date: June '04
OK, this might be in here but I just looked through it and I can't find it.
Can I use Active Dry Yeast as opposed to the Rapid Rise Yeast? I bought Active Dry but I don't know if there is a difference. Thanks!
Lehgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #321

I have never had good luck with active dry yeast when making LC bread. I have heard others say it does not matter.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
"Ageing" the dough

In one of my original experiments, I tried making a sponge of most of the ingredients the night before and letting it sit in the fridge overnight. Goal was, of course, to get rid of the funky tastes. It made barely a discernable dent. BUT, I did NOT make up the entire recipe and let age. It's possible this might work. Dough might need even two days for bad taste to dissipate. European bakers typically allow doughs to rise for a long time (a batch of bread takes a full 24 hours) and they say this is what accounts for development of taste. Worth a try.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks Ginny. I think I may try that the next time I make the bread or rolls.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I find it really interesting that refrigerating lc bread dough improves it -- I used to try to make (regular white bread) refrigerator rolls and they never worked out -- they didn't rise as high as regular rolls, they were too chewy and they tasted flat, not fresh-baked. Maybe the refrigerator is bad for starch and good for protein. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the pizza-dough recipe. I've really enjoyed experimenting with Kevin's first recipe. I've found that getting rid of the baking soda, adding a little more salt & sweetener and using 2 tablespoons of butter instead of olive oil helps with the bad WPI flavor. I've also added 1/4 cup of wheat germ and 1/4 cup of wheat bran for a more grainy flavor. It doesn't rise quite as high, but I like the flavor and it only adds about 1/2 a carb per serving.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Quote:
Now if you could just develop a lc popcorn, lol!!!
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Thanks for the index Kevin!!!!!!! That is great!! [/COLOR]
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #327
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
FYI - There is now a recipe index at the bottom of page 1 for this thread.
Thanks, Kevin............for keeping this a "simple thread"
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Zuleikaa, just to be clear, your saying proofing the dough over night in the frig helped with the off taste correct?
***Correct***
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Now, maybe I have different page lengths than most of you (it's adjustable, IIRC). I can't find the recipe index for this thread. Is there a post number or post count?

Thanks, Kevin.
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #330

at the bottom of the page Jude

Just a Simple White Bread Thread