Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #271
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5 View Post
kevin or anyone...i have one question...

my bread maker says to add all the wet stuff first..but i didnt know what to do with the fast acting yeast as the package said mix with warm water..

so i added the yeast on top of the warm water and stirred just a second.

was that right? Its been 20 minutes and its not rising at all..i have it in a warm oven with the door open and a towel on top..

im not a good cook..hehehehe

Sorry Nurseypoo, I don't own a bread machine so i have very little knowledge of how they work.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #272
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Sorry Nurseypoo, I don't own a bread machine so i have very little knowledge of how they work.

well its been 1 1/2 hours and its not rising

what else could it be? It mixed and kneaded my dough in the machine for a long time (till it made the little ball everyone talked about)..then i spread it into the pan. it maybe doubled in size but thats still only about 3 or 4 inches high. I did have a slightly warm oven...

how long has it taken everyone else to make this stuff rise??

im thinking of doing a new batch! not sure what i did wrong
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
kevin or anyone...i have one question...

my bread maker says to add all the wet stuff first..but i didnt know what to do with the fast acting yeast as the package said mix with warm water..

so i added the yeast on top of the warm water and stirred just a second.

was that right? Its been 20 minutes and its not rising at all..i have it in a warm oven with the door open and a towel on top..

im not a good cook..hehehehe

was i supposed to use the fast acting yeast...was it right to mix it with the water first...

i cant figure out what the heck i did wrong..
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
was i supposed to use the fast acting yeast...was it right to mix it with the water first...

i cant figure out what the heck i did wrong..
I did not have a bread machine in mind when I was developing this bread recipe nor was it ever tested in one as far as I know. I have always heard the bread machines are rather fussy about the order that things are done and this recipe was made to mix, knead, let rise and bake.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #275
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I did not have a bread machine in mind when I was developing this bread recipe nor was it ever tested in one as far as I know. I have always heard the bread machines are rather fussy about the order that things are done and this recipe was made to mix, knead, let rise and bake.

it seemed like a lot of people were having success just using hte machine for the mixing and kneading part..i'm definatly not cooking it in there.

well..i dont have a kitchen aid and cant afford one right now..but i do have a food processor. It has the sharp 2 metal blade attachement..i guess i can try this.

I have to stay up tongiht as i work graveyard tomorrow..i can start a new batch now lol.

I'll cook the loaf i started...will it rise at all in the oven?

like i said before i've never made bread before that didnt cook inside the bread machine...

I wish i could cook like you kevin LOL...

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #276
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I took the dinner roll recipe and subbed carbalose for carbquik and made a loaf of it.
Although it rose a bit lop-sided, this is the best texture and taste of any loaf I have made yet.

* 1/2 cup bottled spring water
* 1/2 cup warm CC milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbalose
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed until the dough pulles away from the sides of the mixing bowl and climbes up the hook.
Then form dough and place in a lighly greased loaf dish.
Let rise for 1 hour in a warm draft free place till dough doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake 35 to 40 mins or until golden brown.

kevin, if i make this can i substitute..

spring water for filtered water

CC milk for half cream half water

and i dont have NOT SUGAR..can anything else substitute it? I have different kinds of sugar substitutes..

or should i try the carbquick again with the processor..i have all those ingredients.

thanks so much for all you do here!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
nurseypoo: "wouldnt it freak us all out if they stopped making this stuff......did i just jinx us eeeeeeeeeeeek".[/QUOTE]

oh, now you probably went and did it! you don't open umbrella's in the house or walk under ladders, just to tempt fate, do you? i am knocking on wood right now!! actually, all kidding aside, i thought the very same thing yesterday when i made the rolls,which by the way, grew to the size of a small softballs. they were beautiful. they fell a little after cooling, but they made a perfectly shaped hamburger bun. try making them in a muffin top pan. good recipe. anyway, what would we do w/out the flour???

Last edited by That Girl; 01-27-2007 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: repeated post
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

nurseypoo, i just read the rest of the posts. as far as the bread not rising, i think bread machines are picky about the order of contents. so, i would add water, flours and then your yeast last, thats what my directions tell me to do. let me know how it comes out.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #279
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
nurseypoo, i just read the rest of the posts. as far as the bread not rising, i think bread machines are picky about the order of contents. so, i would add water, flours and then your yeast last, thats what my directions tell me to do. let me know how it comes out.
im doing a re-do now, it cooked, about 2-3 inches high and as dense as a rock...

im sure it must not have kneaded enough....

i'm going to try my food processor..i have 4 herniated discs in my neck and my shoulder is shot..lso hand kneading would literally be a "pain in the neck" lol.

wish me luck...looks like im pulling an all nighter to get this straight!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
im doing a re-do now, it cooked, about 2-3 inches high and as dense as a rock...

im sure it must not have kneaded enough....

i'm going to try my food processor..i have 4 herniated discs in my neck and my shoulder is shot..lso hand kneading would literally be a "pain in the neck" lol.

wish me luck...looks like im pulling an all nighter to get this straight!
aw, that sucks! hope you feel better soon. good luck w/the bread!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:16 AM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I took the dinner roll recipe and subbed carbalose for carbquik and made a loaf of it.
Although it rose a bit lop-sided, this is the best texture and taste of any loaf I have made yet.

* 1/2 cup bottled spring water
* 1/2 cup warm CC milk
* 2 large eggs
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1 3/8 cup Carbalose
* 1 1/8 cup + 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/8 cup Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 1 Tbls. not/Sugar
* 1/8 Tsp. splenda quick pack
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Combine all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl except 3/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000.
Then put the wet ingredients in an electric mixing bowl.
With the paddle, mix the wet for about 1 minute on low then add the dry mixing till well combined.
Change the paddle for the dough hook and knead with the hook for 8 to 10 min adding the wheat protein isolate 5000 as needed until the dough pulles away from the sides of the mixing bowl and climbes up the hook.
Then form dough and place in a lighly greased loaf dish.
Let rise for 1 hour in a warm draft free place till dough doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake 35 to 40 mins or until golden brown.

ok its 2am and i just finished making this recipe, or well, its TRYING to rise lol...

i probably royally screwed it up because im missing some stuff..

i subed half cream half water for the CC, i subbed (this is my biggest utoh) the 1 tbsp of not sugar for poly D (its all i had..) and i only had liquid splenda so i added 5 drops (equals 1 tsp) ...because the poly D has a tad bit of sweetner...

we'll see...i also used my food processor and boy after a few minutes that dough wrapped all the way to the top but was still a tiny bit sticky..then i needed it for just a minute or two and put it in the pan.

pray for me lol.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #282
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Nurseypoo,

I haven't made the roll recipe (I use my own for rolls) but I made both of the original loaf breads. I'm happy with the Carbalose one so I haven't tried this newer version. I always use my bread machine and haven't had any problems. I put the liquids in first (I warm them), then the dry ingred except yeast, butter if that's in the recipe, sugar then the yeast. I let it mix/knead but the first time it stops, I take the dough out (I say the first time it stops because mine stops to rest for about 5 min then would start kneading again but I think that overworks the dough a bit for low carb bread anyway). My machine takes about 20 minutes from start to end of first knead. I use the rapid rise yeast but plain yeast should work fine too--I don't mix it with the water. I do use thickenthin not/starch; if you have xanthum gum you could use that (notice the original bread recipes use xanthum/guar gums). I think it should rise without it because I have made breads without it. I always use liquid splenda (sweetzfree).

Last edited by jackieba; 01-28-2007 at 08:18 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #283
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Forgot to add, I put the dough in my warm oven (I warm it for 1-2 mins because my house is chilly), close the door and leave the light on. If your house is warm you can just put it on the counter but I've never done it that way. I always put it in the oven and keep the door closed (don't want a chill of air hitting it). I don't even cover the dough because in the past I've had some rise enough to stick to whatever was covering it and when I pulled the "cover" off it left air pockets and the bread fell.

Mine usually rises in 45 minutes but I give it an hour. Make sure your yeast is fresh--(if you've had it over a month I'd get new yeast no matter what the date on it says).

When trying a new recipe, sometimes when my dough is kneading, I'll stop the machine and touch it--it should feel kinda tacky, if it feels dry you need to add a little water (1-2 tablespoons at a time).

Last edited by jackieba; 01-28-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Old 01-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #284
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I should also mention (sorry to make so many posts) that I have used polyd in breads before--in fact I used it in place of sugar but the results were inconsistent so I stopped using it for that but it's not hurting a thing. I don't think the cream/water in place of CC hurts a thing either. I don't see any of your subs causing a problem.

I would have used more than 1 tsp sweetening equiv of your liquid splenda--I would have used 2 tbsp worth of sweetening power but that's just to help the flavor, doesn't affect rising. If you're using regular polyd, it doesn't have enough sweetner to even count (in my opinion).

Last edited by jackieba; 01-28-2007 at 08:24 AM..
Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=#ff0000]I made the last one Kevin posted ([/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]#247[/COLOR][COLOR=red]). I had some problems, but it could have been for several reasons.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I made it in a bread machine (all the way). I'm not good at making yeast bread, so that is why I used the machine. [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]My yeast may have been too old. I should have tested it, but I forgot till it was too late.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]May not have used enough WPI. I think maybe it needed more than I put in. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I decided to use the rapid rise setting on the machine. Thought it might not do two rises that way, not even sure if does anyway. Never haver really figured that out. I don't stand over it for 3 hours (which is how long it takes for the regular setting.) I had never used that setting before, and didn't (still don't really) know how it worked. But it seems to have more heat during the kneading. Since I was adding more WPI as it was kneading, I don't think it kept in the heat that it should have.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Well, it tastes good, but it never rose very much at all. Not even to halfway up the bread pan.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I would like to try the bread again, but now I just don't know where to start. I never have understood yeast bread making.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]As I said tho, it had a good taste. [/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 01-28-2007 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Hadn't read thru the previous post right, so had to take out a statement.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #286
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Billie,
Your regular setting does do two rises (I guarantee it--all traditional high carb breadmaking does 2 rises) but that does not work well with low carb baking. The first rise will do well but the second time it won't--I've tried it. I don't know about the rapid rise cycle because mine does not have one (it's a very old machine) but I bet it still does two rises maybe just for a shorter time. How long does it take? The book that came with it should say something about what makes that cycle different, assuming you still have that. When I tried letting the machine do lowcarb bread from start to end, I had a very, very dense loaf (maybe half the size of what it should have been--I was doing good to get 6-8 slices out of it which made it not so lowcarb).

Naturally I'd suggest my way--let it mix/knead once (I set a timer for 20 mins so I know when to come check it), take it out, put it in your loaf pan (I spray my pan with PAM), sit it in your oven and leave it for an hour with the door closed. It should rise just fine that way.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Nurseypoo5
I've always used my food processor to make Kevinpas bread recipes. IMO, it's fast and easy and makes a superior high rise loaf.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Thanks Jackie. I had never tried the rapid rise before. It said 58 minutes when I sat it for the rapid rise. I don't think it had a second rise. But really don't know. It didn't knead again anyway, I'm pretty sure. I was in the room with it most of the time.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]The machine belongs to my daughter. It ended up at my house one time when she was in transition. She hasn't found the book, so I'm just having to figure everything out. It is pretty old too, tho not real old. It is a Magic Chef. I've gone on line to see if I could get a manual, and they don't make them anymore, nor support them. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Like I said, I've never been good at making yeast breads. There were way too many variables too know what when wrong on that bread.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]But a few questions if ya don't mind. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Will not having enough flour (being too wet) cause poor rising?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]If I take it out after the kneading, how much should I hand knead it before putting it in the pan. And do I just simply form a loaf, or should I do the old fashioned roll it out, then form roll it up into a loaf, like they always show in the cook books?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]If I set it in the oven to rise, when do I turn the oven up to the temp to cook it? Should I take the loaf out while it is comeing up to the right temp? I've always wondered about that. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I've always had trouble (especially here) getting yeast bread to rise. Even with fresh yeast. Maybe it's partly the altitude. ???[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I really don't like the shape of the pan in this bread pan anyway. So next time I may try taking it out and baking it in the oven. Don't mind it this time of year. But in the summer, it sure is nice to use the bread machine, and not heat up my kitchen.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]It will be a few days before I try again. I'll eat this first. I sliced it pretty thin. It isn't really all that dense. I was surprised. I'll test my yeast first. If I don't have any that is any good, it may be a longggggg time before I try again. I'm still snowed in. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Thanks for the help![/COLOR]
Old 01-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #289
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Too wet is bad too. Sometimes you have to adjust the liquid a little for altitude. If it feels kinda sticky, that's fine but it shouldn't feel "wet" and it should form a ball in the machine. The WPI 5000 helps make it stretchy and helps with rising so if it feels wet, add a little more of that.

I've had some that felt just tacky (like the back of a post-it note) and some that felt real sticky but they all rose. I made some kind of bread/roll/bun atleast once a week.

Don't knead at all by hand. I take it out of the bread machine, form a loaf with my hands (I fold the dough under so that it's smooth on top and I pinch any "seams"), put it in the sprayed loaf pan--I press it down a little but I don't worry about making it long enough to really fit the pan--it will expand in length as it rises. Then I put it in the oven, close the door, leave the light on and come back an hour later.

The orig Carbalose bread I routinely make rises very very high--in fact I got a bigger loaf pan because of that. The Carbquik one rose above the pan but not as much as the Carbalose one.
I can't speak for the last version cause I haven't tried it but that's the one I'm going to use for the pizza crust. Thought I'd do that today but it looks like it will be tomorrow.

Yes take it out of the oven before heating the oven. I have double ovens so I use one to let it rise and the other to bake. If you need to use your oven, you could sit it in the microwave, it just needs a place that's draft free (and not cold) to rise.

I really think the bread machine is the easiest way. I use to make yeast rolls by hand and it was alot of work. After that, I had a mixer with dough hooks and I used that before I got my bread machine (don't even have the mixer anymore) but I still think the machine is easier. It hasn't let me down yet. I have not tried a food processor. But everyone has their preferred method.

Last edited by jackieba; 01-28-2007 at 10:35 AM..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #290
Blabbermouth!!!

One of the biggest reasons I started this thread was because of the concept of Simple. It allowed people to basically put their ingredients in a mixer, combine and then turn out into a loaf pan to rise then bake. Then those like Zuleikaa showed us that without a mixer the concept of Simple could still be maintained using a food processer. Somewhere I fear this concept is being lost by bread machines and my introduction of cinnamon rolls and pizza dough where the dough does not work as well being sticky. Things like rolling a jellyroll or streaching out pizza dough is almost impossible with sticky dough so I tried to introduce the addition of extra WPI 5000 at the end of the process to adjust the texture of the dough for these extra steps. If your just making bread it is not neccessary to make this adjustment at the end and the extra WPI can be added with the rest of the ingredients.

My point to this is if you are trying to make a loaf of bread and there is any way to keep it Simple...ie Mix, rise, and bake then this recipe should live up to its name....Simple and remain a very forgiving easy to follow process. If you have been intimidated in the past by HC yeast bread......my advice....forget the experience and keep it simple.

Lastly I am sorry I can't help you adapt this recipe to a bread machine since I have little to no experience working with one and the use of one was never my intention.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:01 AM   #291
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I use a bread machine, just cause I have it. Mine has a setting for "Dough". I use that, and when I am satisfied it has formed the slightly tacky ball, I roll it into a Pammed or buttered bread pan, spray the top, cover with plastic wrap, cover with a towel and sit it on the back of the stove....and let rise. I usually have great results. My book does say in what order to put in the machine, but quite frankly, I just ignore that! Yesterday's Oat Bread, I put the dry in first, then the liquid. The HC loaf I am making for DH today, I put the wet in first, then the dry. Both are just fine. Today's I just put in the oven. I think if the ingredients are right, bread is a no brainer!!
Bette

By the way, my Sour Dough starter is going crazy! I fed it again this morning. I will have to do something with some of it tomorrow, but don't want to make bread with it till this loaf from yesterday is gone. Also, the longer it is fed, refed, the sourer the dough is suppose to be. I might try for some crumpets tomorrow.
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
The food processor is very fast and easy,I haven't tried using my bread machine yet, maybe I'll drag it out and see if it's as simple. I'm still working on getting rid of "ALL" carbolose taste
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Jackie, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions!!! [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]That did help. I think my dough was way to wet. It sorta formed a ball, but not really, and quickly "laid back down". Next time I try it, besides checking out the yeast first, I'll be sure to add more WPI. I think this machine has a knead only setting, and if I can get it to go to that (sometimes it has a mind of it's own, and I can't seem to get it to change settings), I'll try that, and then just take it out & put it in the pan and cook in the oven.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I really want to try adding wheat bran to the recipe, as I like the flavor, and it would add more fiber & nutrients. But I don't want to try that tweak till I know the recipe will work for me otherwise. I think it can be added, replacing some of the WPI without any problems tho.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I forgot to add before, that I did replace the CC milk with part cream & water, but I don't think that actually had any effect on the rising, etc. The CC milk I have was frozen. (Not on purpose. I have a fridge in the garage, and it was in it. The fridge decided to become a freezer. Funny thing is the cream out there didn't seem to freeze. But my cc milk was solid.) [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Thanks again![/COLOR]
Old 01-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Well, while I was typing that up (well, actually my DIL called just as I started to read Jackie's post, so I was delayed in answering) these other posts came in. So sorry I didn't comment on them.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Thanks Kevin. Actually the bread machine method is or should be a Simple method, for me. And even the Simple method you used, was just to complex for me. I don't have a paddle. I do have dough hooks on my mixer, but I've never had any luck using them. If you can mix the first steps with regular beaters, then change to the dough hooks, or better yet, do it all with the hooks, maybe I'll try that too one of these days. But having to clean up those first beaters (if they will even work), is a lot more trouble than using the bread machine to knead.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I'm gonna try it again with the machine only doing the kneading soon. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I have a food processor too, and do have the plastic "dull" blade. But I just don't like the sound of using it. I don't know, it just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe if this doesn't work.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Thanks for the answers every body. [/COLOR]
Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Duh!!!

[COLOR=red]Well guys, I think I just figured out Part of my problem anyway. I'm almost sure I left out the sugar. I thought I put it in. I thought I remembered putting it in, which is kinda scarey, cause I don't know what I DID put if for sugar, if I "thought" at the time that I put it in. Cause I don't have any sugar out handy. I'd have had to made an effor to find it, to use it. I didn't! I do know that some say you don't Have to have sugar in yeast bread anyway, but....... [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]But I do think it was too wet. Know you know why my name is crazywoman! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I think my yeast is OK, as I have some proofing now, and the little buggers seem ta be workin away.[/COLOR]
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
OK. I made pizza.

And really, it was pizza!!!

Sorry, I don't have a picture.

I made it at 6 pm yesterday and put in in the frig. Today at about 3 pm I took the dough out and using half the dough, stretched it to fit a 14 inch pizza pan.

I baked it about 18 minutes in a preheated oven on the middle rack with a pizza stone on the bottom rack.

It colored up nicely, the crust has a nice tooth feel that's not spongy and has no carbquik taste, I think. I think the proofing helps hide the carquik taste. I did use some sweetfreeze and vanilla extract to hide the taste.

I think you should remove the pizza from the pan to a cooling rack after cutting because it does steam a bit more than regular pizza.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Nurseypoo - I'm probably way too late with this but I use my bread machine and I mix all the dry ingredients, including the packet of rapid rise yeast, in a bowl, then I put the wet ingredients in the bread machine pan and just give them a mix with a spoon or rubber spatula to break the egg yolks, then add the mixed dry ingredients on top of the wet in the bread machine pan. I use the dough setting and take it out after the first knead - about 30 minutes on mine. Then I shape and put into a bread pan and let it rise till it comes to the top or a little higher and bake it off.

Today I made the pizza dough recipe. I did it in the bread machine using the full amount of WPI5000. The dough was a great consistency. I wrapped half in plastic wrap and will use for pizza tonight and I made 6 dinner rolls with the other half. They look wonderful, golden brown and light texture, I haven't tried one yet. Probably won't till dinner tomorrow night.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
OK. I made pizza.

And really, it was pizza!!!

Which recipe did you use? and what exactly if anything did you maybe change. This simple little white bread recipe has been changed to death

Debbie....
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #299
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
This simple little white bread recipe has been changed to death

Debbie....

I prefer to say it has matured!!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Matured....... Yeah I like that![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]OK, guys I couldn't wait. I don't get in the mood to even bake in the bread machine often, soooooo....... I put the other loaf in the freezer. I'll eat it some other time, or use it for something.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]So I used the bread machine on the dough setting to knead the bread. I think it must have 2 kneads on it, with a rise inbetween according to the minutes it said on the timer. But I just kneaded it till it formed a good ball, then took it out, formed the loaf, put in the pan, and set to rise.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I have a very cool house too, but I have a pellet stove down stairs. So, I got me an idear. I made a proofin box on top of the stove. I put my pan in it, and set the timer. Well, I set 2. I sat one for 40 minutes, so I could check on it and see how the temp was, and how it was rising. Then another for 1 hour. At 40 minutes it wasn't rising very much. Some but not much. But the temp seemed OK in the box. So at 1 hour I checked it again. Still a little under the top of the pan. So I waited. I probably let it rise close to 1 1/2 hours. It had finally come to the top of the pan. A little of it was just above the top.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Put it in the preheated oven, and set the timer for 35 minutes. When I went to check on it, it was golden brown. (Thought at first it was too brown, but it was the lighting.) [/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Not the prettiest, but the best one I have ever baked![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Thank you Kevin!!!!! And thank you Jackie, and every body else who have given tips on the post!!! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I did have to sub Vital Wheat Gluten for the WPI 8000, so my carb counts are slightly higher, but it worked. [/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 01-28-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: after thought