Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Coconut Pecan Cacao Nib Clusters (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/457069-coconut-pecan-cacao-nib-clusters.html)

Kevinpa 11-01-2006 08:12 PM

Coconut Pecan Cacao Nib Clusters

1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup Isomalt
1 cup equivilent sweetener (I used the new splenda quick pack)
2 T. granular erythritol
6 T. butter salted
2 egg yoke

1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup cacao nibs
1 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut

Put all the ingredients in a non-stick sauce pan except pecans, cacao nibs, and coconut.
Bring to a boil then reduce to medium heat stirring down boil constantly for 12 minutes.
Add pecans, cacao nibs, coconut and mix until well combined.

Place mounded teaspoons onto a non-stick foil lined cookie sheet.
Quick set in freezer for 15 minutes and refridgerate overnight.

Makes 2 dozen candies. 1 carb each

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...a1/cpcnc58.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...a1/cpcnc59.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...a1/cpcnc60.jpg

Xcali 11-02-2006 08:33 AM

These sound and look yummy!! Thank you.

Quick question though .. I thought that the Splenda Quick Packs could not be used for baking only for mixing drinks. I guess it works for baking?

Kevinpa 11-02-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcali (Post 7685460)
These sound and look yummy!! Thank you.

Quick question though .. I thought that the Splenda Quick Packs could not be used for baking only for mixing drinks. I guess it works for baking?

It works just fine. It is just difficult to measure in situations where you need less than 1 cup....IMO anyway.
So when I see I need a cup I use those.

Kevinpa 11-02-2006 09:29 AM

BTW, these are very very addicting. One of the few things I have found in awhile that I had to force portion control on myself.

Xcali 11-02-2006 09:48 AM

Thanks Kev .. good to know!!

lcmiller461 11-02-2006 02:17 PM

I'm assuming the cacao nibs don't melt? Could chocolate chips be substituted or would the mixture be too hot?

Kevinpa 11-02-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 7687352)
I'm assuming the cacao nibs don't melt? Could chocolate chips be substituted or would the mixture be too hot?

No, they don't melt. Nibs are pieces of the peeled cacao bean which has the texture of say a coffee bean but the wonderful taste of raw chocolate.

I guess you could use chocolate chip but would have to let it cool some before mixing in so they didn't completely melt and make a mess.

jokath 11-03-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 7687352)

I made this with chocolate chips last night. Instead of adding the chips in and stirring, I made sure I had everything mixed well, then i sprinkled a few of the chips on the top, scooped out a spoon of it with some chips and made sure that I got a few chips in each one.

These are very good and like Kevin said, very very addicting. I had to put them in the frig in the garage to get them out of reach.

eagle eye 12-17-2009 05:19 PM

Thanks for this recipe. I made these today. I just have one word to say "yyyuuummmy :clap: :clap: :D!!!

Kevinpa 12-18-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle eye (Post 12874841)
Thanks for this recipe. I made these today. I just have one word to say "yyyuuummmy :clap: :clap: :D!!!

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to make these for christmas.

fourstubbs 06-13-2011 07:38 PM

These look delicious, I just ordered cocoa nibs this morning, should have them in a couple days... can't wait to try this.

dawnyama 06-14-2011 11:46 AM

Ooh, thank you for bumping this one up. I want to try these too. They sound and look deelish!

lonestarstamper 06-15-2011 07:30 PM

bump

fourstubbs 06-16-2011 01:41 AM

I made these tonight and they are fantastic! Dh asked if they were "legal" because they are so good. :) Tomorrow I may dip the bottoms in some melted very dark chocolate.... The nibs are really good too... lots of possibilities with them...

dawnyama 06-23-2011 02:02 PM

I made these just now and they are soo good. Mine don't look like the ones in Kevin's picture though. I used the same exact ingr. (I even had the quick pack--it was my last one) but they look more like a chocolate chocolate chip cookie batter. I think that Kevin's looks more like chocolate chip cookie dough. Not sure if I did mine right or not. But they taste fantastic!!!! So glad I tried them.

fourstubbs 06-23-2011 02:56 PM

Maybe once you put them in the fridge (if they last that long, they are sooo good) they will set up. :)

dawnyama 06-23-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 14764542)
Maybe once you put them in the fridge (if they last that long, they are sooo good) they will set up. :)

NO. Just pulled them out of the freezer and they look more like haystacks (ya know the ones that are made with chinese noodles and chocolate chips) because of the coconut shreds sticking out. They don't look like what Kevin's pics look like. His look more like cookie dough. But I will try it another time and see if I cooked it too long. It seemed that 12 mins was too long because at about 9 mins the butter started to separate out. I have lots of leftover melted butter at the bottom of my saucepan. Just gives me an excuse to make more :clap:

fourstubbs 06-24-2011 01:45 AM

we just finished the batch I made today. :) Don't worry Dawnyama, the butter separated in mine too. I just continued with the recipe, I think I may have added a handful more of the coconut. This is a keeper recipe. You should try dipping the bottoms in dark chocolate if you can afford the carbs. It's really good like that. :)

Tilly 06-24-2011 03:43 AM

I found the nibs at Whole Foods, if you have one nearby.

dawnyama 06-24-2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 14765432)
we just finished the batch I made today. :) Don't worry Dawnyama, the butter separated in mine too. I just continued with the recipe, I think I may have added a handful more of the coconut. This is a keeper recipe. You should try dipping the bottoms in dark chocolate if you can afford the carbs. It's really good like that. :)

I will do that next time--add extra coconut flakes (I have a gallon pail!) and the dark chocolate on the bottom. I can afford the carbs. And my family won't touch these because they don't like coconut. I am the only one who will eat them and I can add what I want ;) Did yours end up really dark or light like in the picture? I tried some after being in the fridge for a while and they are deelish :up: Definitely a keeper.

fourstubbs 06-24-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 14765802)
I will do that next time--add extra coconut flakes (I have a gallon pail!) and the dark chocolate on the bottom. I can afford the carbs. And my family won't touch these because they don't like coconut. I am the only one who will eat them and I can add what I want ;) Did yours end up really dark or light like in the picture? I tried some after being in the fridge for a while and they are deelish :up: Definitely a keeper.

WHAT? You get to eat these by yourself? I HAD to share mine with DH. He calls them death bars. :) I was thinking I may add some different flavorings to these. Like maybe some orange oil or something like that to the coconut mixture. Maybe we can both experiment with this one. You are right, it is a keeper!! Mine were a soft yellow color. They didn't look like Kevin's.

fourstubbs 06-24-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly (Post 14765486)
I found the nibs at Whole Foods, if you have one nearby.

Tilly: I ended up buying mine online. It is hard to get some things here where I live, especially something as exotic as cocoa nibs. :D

Tilly 06-24-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstubbs (Post 14766443)
Tilly: I ended up buying mine online. It is hard to get some things here where I live, especially something as exotic as cocoa nibs. :D

Whoa! I just now looked at where you live, Alaska! No wonder. I would imagine the shipping charges are pretty high as well?

fourstubbs 06-25-2011 10:12 PM

Yes, Tilly, shipping kills me!! I don't understand, the flat rate boxes will ship here, same cost, but apparently it doesn't work that way! I just have to be a bit creative, like send my stuff to my dd or sister, then they mail it to me! :)