Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Chewy Pecan Cookies (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/456503-chewy-pecan-cookies.html)

Kevinpa 10-30-2006 04:08 AM

Chewy Pecan Cookies

Yield four 3" cookies 1 carb each.

1/4 cup coarse ground pecans
1 T. wheat protein isolate 5000
2 T. polyD
2 T. sweetener of choice
2 T. butter (softened)
1/2 t. baking powder

Combine dry ingredients.
Mix in butter until well incorporated.

Drop 4 mounded teaspoons of dough on greased cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 11 to 13 min or until golden brown.

These are major yummy with a great chewy texture.
Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger batch.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cpc17.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cpc19.jpg

vhodgkin 10-30-2006 04:35 AM

Kevin, You always have some great recipies. I'll try this one for sure!

24Fan 10-30-2006 08:20 AM

Mmm thanks, Kevin! This one is a saver for the holiday cookie making season for sure.

note to self: buy polyd :D

CarolynF 10-30-2006 08:07 PM

I tried these this afternoon and made 2 mistakes: first of all..I think the pecans should be rather finely ground...so it would act more like flour than nuts.Is that right? And, my butter was slightly melted, so the cookies spread out like a flat pancake..not a good thing..

Kevinpa 10-30-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 7673505)
I tried these this afternoon and made 2 mistakes: first of all..I think the pecans should be rather finely ground...so it would act more like flour than nuts.Is that right? And, my butter was slightly melted, so the cookies spread out like a flat pancake..not a good thing..

I made my pecans a bit more coarse than almond flour normally is. It was mostly flour but some pieces too. And yes the butter was just on the soft side of cold. You might say I had to cut it in. Mine flatted some but only to a point. I make a version of these without the baking powder that come out paper thin but are very good also.

Kevinpa 10-30-2006 09:43 PM

I ground an entire lb and had some left so this is exactly what it looked like.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/pf23.jpg

CarolynF 10-31-2006 07:12 AM

Thanks, Kevin..I think it does need some of the pecan meal to give it some body...:) Will try again.

Kevinpa 10-31-2006 09:10 AM

Orange and Almond Cake

ooooops

CRosie 11-02-2006 03:34 PM

Can any of you think of any other subs for the WPI in this recipe ? I don't have any WPI at the moment and would use it so rarely.

I also have some of the granular Isomalt - so might try that for the sweetener and will probably need to adjust carbs accordingly.

Thanks Rosie

Kevinpa 11-02-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRosie (Post 7687662)
Can any of you think of any other subs for the WPI in this recipe ?

What do you have?

CRosie 11-03-2006 05:00 PM

I have Carbquick and Carbalose and almond flour.

Do you think any of those might work?

Thanks!

Kevinpa 11-03-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRosie (Post 7693452)
I have Carbquick and Carbalose and almond flour.

Do you think any of those might work?

Thanks!

Of those 3 I'd choose carbquik.

Let us know how they turn out.

davem 11-12-2006 09:07 AM

Hi Kev, thanks for the recipes you post. :)

I gave these a try twice, with marginal success. The first attempt was by the book and the cookies flattened out to about 5 inches and paper thin. Tasted good, but very crispy around the edges and they had a tendency to shatter and fall apart when bitten.

2nd attempt I used butter flavored shortening, going for a higher melt temp (learned that one from an Alton Brown cookie episode). They were a tad thicker, but not much. Any ideas? I'm thinking of maybe refrigerating the dough for a while before popping in the oven.

Taste is awesome. :)

CRosie 11-12-2006 09:40 AM

I'm not sure, but I think in these cases, Scott usually recommends upping the ration of PolyD?

Rosie

Kevinpa 11-12-2006 10:46 AM

Dave, I have made 2 different versions of this cookie. One with the baking powder and one without. The one without flattens out the way you discribe and has a lacey or lattace texture to them and are quite fragil.
When I made these I had just bought a new can of baking powder and the pecan grind was on the coarse side. Is it possible your baking powder was older? If it is older I might suggest doubling it. The other thing I might suggest is using parchment paper and lowering the temperature a few degree. A few degrees to a cookie like this can make a big difference.

HTH

davem 11-12-2006 11:41 AM

Hmm, that could be it, the baking powder in the pantry is ancient. :) I think I'll just toss it and try again. Lower temp is a good idea too. Thanks for the reply.

Soobee 02-08-2007 12:41 PM

Kevin, I made the most marvelous mistake with your cookie recipe. I added melted butter. The cookies spread all over the place, and baked up just like lace cookies or brandy snaps! They were thin, crispy, and carmelized. My husband LOVED them. He says it's the best low carb cookie he's eaten, and he's eaten a lot.He's already asked for another batch. My low-carbing friend said they are identical to a friend's signature cookies (high carb). By the way, I quadrupled your recipe, because who are we kidding? 4 cookies just won't suffice.I am so happy I messed up.

liz1114 02-08-2007 01:52 PM

Even when I use softend butter they still spread out like a lace cookie, no matter what I try I can't get my cookies to look like kevins. These are so good though they almost remind me of a shortbread cookie, flavor wise.

Kevinpa 02-08-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 8135574)
Kevin, I made the most marvelous mistake with your cookie recipe. I added melted butter. The cookies spread all over the place, and baked up just like lace cookies or brandy snaps! They were thin, crispy, and carmelized. My husband LOVED them. He says it's the best low carb cookie he's eaten, and he's eaten a lot.He's already asked for another batch. My low-carbing friend said they are identical to a friend's signature cookies (high carb). By the way, I quadrupled your recipe, because who are we kidding? 4 cookies just won't suffice.I am so happy I messed up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz1114 (Post 8136237)
Even when I use softend butter they still spread out like a lace cookie, no matter what I try I can't get my cookies to look like kevins. These are so good though they almost remind me of a shortbread cookie, flavor wise.

you two are not the first to tell me this .... I havent made these for a little while...I'll have to revisit them to see if I can make them do this.

eshlemania 02-08-2007 04:07 PM

Kevin,
I'm assuming the WPI is the 5000. That seems right. Am I right?

Thanks bunches,
Bev

Kevinpa 02-08-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eshlemania (Post 8136963)
Kevin,
I'm assuming the WPI is the 5000. That seems right. Am I right?

Thanks bunches,
Bev

Yes Bev that is correct.

mycattaz 02-10-2007 06:26 AM

Can't wait to try this cookie recipe, looks really good...:up:

Kisal 02-10-2007 02:45 PM

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I thought I'd share a bit of info I read (I think in the L.A. Times, but not positive.) They did a test of various types of cookies that had a tendency to spread out during baking. They tested them on lightly greased cookie sheets, parchment paper, and Silpat mats. They found that the cookies baked on Silpat mats held their shapes better and spread out the least.

Just a suggestion. :dunno:

LoveMyGSDs 02-10-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 7673505)

The same thing happened to mine when I made the for the Super Bowl and they were crunchy instead of chewey, but I loved them, so it was no biggie.

liz1114 02-10-2007 04:12 PM

Thanks for the info Kisal, I will have to try that next time. The best I have come up with so far is to use parchment and then place a ring that goes on a glass jar on the cookie sheet and put the dough in the middle, helps them to not spread but I still don't get the rise or chewyness that kevin does. These are still my favorite cookie though that is for sure!

Kevinpa 02-10-2007 05:08 PM

:laugh: :rofl: :hyst:

You guys are jinxing me. I just made these and they went flat!! Same yummy taste but flat and thin like when I make them without the baking powder.:confused: :dunno:

liz1114 02-10-2007 05:32 PM

haha, well it is good to know that I wasn't messing up the recipe each time I made them, like I orignally thought. Were you able to bake them for the full 11min? I haven't been able to do that either only like 6 min I think

LoveMyGSDs 02-11-2007 06:07 AM

:rofl: :hyst: :rofl:

They really taste good that way though. I love the crisp parts. :D

Soobee 02-11-2007 02:43 PM

I made mine on the Silpat and they spread all over the place. I hope I can do the smae next time.

Soobee 02-14-2007 12:52 PM

Chewy Pecan Cookies

I made your cokies again today, Kevin. They came out great again, just like lace cookies. My husband wanted them for Valentine's Day. In fact, he hasn't stopped mentioning them since the first time I made them. Thanks so much for the recipe.:clap: