Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Comfort Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/455620-comfort-crockpot-vegetable-beef-soup.html)

Kevinpa 10-24-2006 04:04 PM

Comfort Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup

Comfort Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup (approx 60 carb for entire batch)

1 1/2 lb stew meat
5 cups beef broth
2 cups water
1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
2 cups delicata squash cubed
1 small red onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
2 cups fresh green beans
3 small zucchini quartered and cubed
5 spriggs fresh thyme
5 spriggs fresh oragano
5 spriggs fresh rosemary

In a heavy skillet sauté beef and onions until beef is browned.
Transfer to crockpot and add broth, water, tomatoes,squash, celery, green beans, and herb bundle.
Cook on low for 8 hours stirring every couple hours until veggies and beef are tender.
At 4 hours cube and add zucchini.

Enjoy! Yum! :up:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/vbs34.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/vbs39.jpg

coffeeplease 10-24-2006 04:15 PM

Looks delish!

gotogirl 10-25-2006 07:32 AM

This just went on my menu for next week. Thanks, Kevin.

emel 10-25-2006 11:49 AM

Do you all ever want to kidnap Kevin and have him live in your kitchen forever and ever?

Or is that just me?
Thanks for another terrific recipe, Kevin.

LibertyJen 10-25-2006 01:29 PM

I made the most incredible soup on Sunday ... I always seem to have "tough" meat when I make my soup. So this time I took a 2 pound roast (okay, it was a four pounder I cut in half), threw it in the crock pot with the water, bouillion and onion soup mix and cooked it on HIGH for three hours. I ran home at lunch and pulled apart the roast with two forks ... it was so tender! And then I added the veggies... let it cook the rest of the afternoon. I think I have died and gone to heaven! The meat is generous and so tender! YUMMY!

Kevinpa 10-15-2007 05:23 AM

Since the weather is getting cooler here I started a pot of soup this morning to have this week. Can't wait! :up:
I :love: this soup!

Julievan 10-15-2007 05:45 AM

i cant find the deiicata squash what would be a good sub?

Kevinpa 10-15-2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julievan (Post 9358141)
i cant find the deiicata squash what would be a good sub?

Any kind of winter squash would work. Acorn, butternut, sweet dumpling.

Julievan 10-15-2007 05:51 AM

thanks Kevin

Kevinpa 10-15-2007 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ten hours later we are having a bowl of homemade vegetable beef soup and a lc wheat bun.:up: I cut up a carrot in this batch.

Barbo 10-15-2007 07:24 PM

KEVIN YOU ARE THE MAN

YOUR SOUP LOOKS YUMMY. WE HAD VEG/BEEF SOUP LAST WEEK AND
I USED EDAMAME BEANS AND JAY THOUGHT IT WAS LIMA BEANS :up:

YOU ARE A WONDERFUL COOK AND WE ALL BENENFIT GREATLY FROM YOUR
EXPERIMENTS. I LOVE YOUR PICTURES, IT'S REALLY NICE TO SEE THINGS
DONE IN STAGES.

YES YOU ARE THE ONE PERSON THAT WE ALL VOTED FOR TO BE KIDNAPPED AND TAKEN INTO OUR KITCHENS. :D

NEXT TIME I'M GOING TO INCLUDE THOSE SWEET DUMPLING OR OTHER
SQUASH CUBES.

TELL YOUR DW THAT SHE IS ONE LUCKY PUPPY.

Julievan 10-16-2007 08:16 AM

kevin do you peel either of the squash for this i know dumb question

Kevinpa 10-16-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julievan (Post 9364534)
kevin do you peel either of the squash for this i know dumb question

The delicata you have to peel, cut in half, take out the seeds, and then cut into cubes like potatoes. The following thread has pictures of how I do it for squash browns which is the same.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pictures.html

The zucchini I just slice in half lengthwise and then slice those in 1/2 inch pieces with the skins on.

HTH

Julievan 10-16-2007 01:04 PM

thanks Kevin thats what i did its cooking now sures smells good i already tried the broth and it is super

Tweaker Geek 10-16-2007 05:56 PM

Yum, Yum! I can almost smell and taste that soup by looking at the picture. Another great recipe Kevin! I'll be looking for some delicata squash. It's around for such a short time..

fashay 12-04-2007 07:36 AM

I love homemade vegetable soup. I love the lima beans, corn, carrots, and potatoes in my soup. Of course on LC you can't have those. I will be trying this recipe. I think I will try the edamame and carrots and less grean beans and w/o the zuchinni. Kevin do you know how many carbs this will add?

lcmiller461 12-05-2007 03:40 PM

Kevin, how did the texture of the squash hold up? I remember trying it in soup last year and wasn't pleased with the result.

Kevinpa 12-05-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 9593311)
Kevin, how did the texture of the squash hold up? I remember trying it in soup last year and wasn't pleased with the result.

The texture of the squash will be determined by how long it is in the soup. If it was too mushy the last time then do not include it until the soup has been cooking longer. When I do this the texture is fine by me but if you are expecting potatoes the squash will never end up that same texture.

magnamater 12-06-2007 07:54 AM

Bumping!!!

Have a quick crockpot chicken soup--LOL at crockpot being quick. . .I meant for assembling)? For cold season, which means I have a cold and I'm looking for comfort food without much effort. . .

TIA!
Janie

Kevinpa 11-09-2008 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's that time of the year again. :up:

skg 11-10-2008 11:02 AM

Stupid question, do you need to add the thyme, oragano & rosemary? If so back to the store on my way home tonight I went at lunch and got delicata squash for other recipes, this looks yummy and it is chilly out.

Kevinpa 11-10-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skg (Post 11115701)
Stupid question, do you need to add the thyme, oragano & rosemary? If so back to the store on my way home tonight I went at lunch and got delicata squash for other recipes, this looks yummy and it is chilly out.

I have tried many combination of spices in vegetable beef soup and this was mine and my family's favorite. As with any spice and taste issue, yours may differ but bare in mind, I have only used fresh herbs....never dried.

skg 11-16-2008 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 11116344)
I have tried many combination of spices in vegetable beef soup and this was mine and my family's favorite. As with any spice and taste issue, yours may differ but bare in mind, I have only used fresh herbs....never dried.

Thanks Kevin, sorry another question I am going to get the herbs today and make this tonight. I have never cooked with fresh herbs, do you bundle them together and then throw out when done or chop up and leave in the soup? We may get some wintery weather tomorrow so this would be perfect.

Kevinpa 11-20-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skg (Post 11142876)
Thanks Kevin, sorry another question I am going to get the herbs today and make this tonight. I have never cooked with fresh herbs, do you bundle them together and then throw out when done or chop up and leave in the soup? We may get some wintery weather tomorrow so this would be perfect.

sorry sandy I didn't see this question.

When the soup is done I pitch the herb bundle. After slow cooking all the flavor is in the soup anyway.

skg 11-20-2008 08:36 PM

Thanks, I did finally make this Monday. I took some to work for lunch today everyone said it smelled really good, will def. make it again but maybe use less herbs I think I over did it :).

TheDogAteMyName 11-21-2008 04:02 AM

Kevin - absolutely divine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

judytab 03-04-2011 01:06 PM

This is something like I make beef-veg soup but I've never tried it in the crockpot.