Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 03:09 AM   #1

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Raw Organic Cocoa Nibs

I have had my nibs a little less than a day now and I can already see that these are going to spoil me big time. Even if I don't find one other use for them, the Mocha Java you can make with this stuff is the best I have ever tasted.
I have not tried it yet but I would bet that this would make a hot cocoa that would knock your socks off and super LC.

The nutrition label shows 2 carbs and 2 fiber per 1 Tablespoon (5 grams) and although I don't think they are zero carbs it looks like they are very low.

Hopefully I will get to try them out in some baked goods this weekend.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
Can you get these at Netrition?

Thanks,
Bev
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #3

no Bev, but if you google organic cocoa nibs you will find several suppliers.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Oh, can't wait to see what all you do with these. Saw the post awhile back talking about them.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Kevin, do they have a good chocolate flavour? Because I'm reading a review on a site that says this and it suggests to me that they are not so flavourful as you would expect. That Mocha sounds good! I would buy them only for this.

"I think the people above me are disappointed from expecting this to taste more like "chocolate," but this is the REAL deal. Indigenous groups in areas where chocolate is a navtive plant pulverize these nibs to make a very BITTER drink that truly contains all the hyped benefits of chocolate. Unfortunately I think Polina is on to something with her stale coffee comment. This is for the truly hardcore. You could try thinking of this as "eating your vegetables." These nibs are one of the richest sources of magnesium possible, as well as many other trace minerals."
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpisabela View Post
Kevin, do they have a good chocolate flavour? Because I'm reading a review on a site that says this and it suggests to me that they are not so flavourful as you would expect. That Mocha sounds good! I would buy them only for this.

"I think the people above me are disappointed from expecting this to taste more like "chocolate," but this is the REAL deal. Indigenous groups in areas where chocolate is a navtive plant pulverize these nibs to make a very BITTER drink that truly contains all the hyped benefits of chocolate. Unfortunately I think Polina is on to something with her stale coffee comment. This is for the truly hardcore. You could try thinking of this as "eating your vegetables." These nibs are one of the richest sources of magnesium possible, as well as many other trace minerals."
The only way I have of answering that is if your expecting sweet and sugary this is not that. True chocolate is a bit bitter with a rather nutty taste to it. This is not for the casual chocolate fan.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
But I don't like sweet chocolate! My all time favourite is dark chocolate and now I like most the 85% cacao from Lindt. So, the only way to find out, is to see for myself. One more question though, sorry: what proportion coffee to cacao nibs did you use in your Mocha? And, eventually, what kind of coffee would make a better Mocha?
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpisabela View Post
But I don't like sweet chocolate! My all time favourite is dark chocolate and now I like most the 85% cacao from Lindt. So, the only way to find out, is to see for myself. One more question though, sorry: what proportion coffee to cacao nibs did you use in your Mocha? And, eventually, what kind of coffee would make a better Mocha?
If that is your preference in chocolate then you should love cacao nibs.

What I did not say in the last post is all cacao is not created equal just as many other things we buy. If it is being sold dirt cheap then more than likely its not a better grade.
What I bought was grade #1 100% organic sundried criollo cacao nibs grown in peru. Oddly enough I got it from Victoria BC....

I made my Mocha Java by grinding the nibs in my coffee grinder to a powder and then adding 1 heaping teaspoon to a 12 oz cup of brewed columbian coffee.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Kevin, I have both types of the cacao nibs I'll have to dig them out and give a side by side taste test. One is darker in color than the other. I love nibs I eat them right out of the bag. They taste like a coffee to me and yes bitter.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #10

BTW Jud......thanks for the heads-up about the nibs
Old 10-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Anytime, sweetpea!

I'm having some fun with them, myself. Just tried the mocha java as you suggested, hmmmm hmmmm good!

Next, your biscotti, and then back to my Intense Mocha IceCream with Bits.

Sigh. Life is hard. :blush:
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
I'm having some fun with them, myself. Just tried the mocha java as you suggested, hmmmm hmmmm good!
Jud, Next time you try one of these add some davinci respberry syrup.....OMG its sinful
Old 11-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: noirebfly
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Jud, Next time you try one of these add some davinci respberry syrup.....OMG its sinful
[COLOR="Magenta"]Speaking of a mocha java, Kevinpa, do you have any delicious coffee, tea or hot drink recipes for the winter? [/COLOR]
noirebfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirebfly View Post
[COLOR="Magenta"]Speaking of a mocha java, Kevinpa, do you have any delicious coffee, tea or hot drink recipes for the winter? [/COLOR]
I am pretty much hooked on my coffee so I don't play around much with drink recipes unless it has coffee in it.

I have been playing with a hot cacao using these nibs but have not perfected it yet.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: noirebfly
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I am pretty much hooked on my coffee so I don't play around much with drink recipes unless it has coffee in it.

I have been playing with a hot cacao using these nibs but have not perfected it yet.
[COLOR="Magenta"]Ahhh...I see. Well thanks anyway. As it relates to the cacao, I can't wait to see what you come up with.[/COLOR]
noirebfly is offline   Reply With Quote