Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Raw Organic Cocoa Nibs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/454849-raw-organic-cocoa-nibs.html)

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 03:09 AM

Raw Organic Cocoa Nibs

I have had my nibs a little less than a day now and I can already see that these are going to spoil me big time. Even if I don't find one other use for them, the Mocha Java you can make with this stuff is the best I have ever tasted.
I have not tried it yet but I would bet that this would make a hot cocoa that would knock your socks off and super LC.

The nutrition label shows 2 carbs and 2 fiber per 1 Tablespoon (5 grams) and although I don't think they are zero carbs it looks like they are very low.

Hopefully I will get to try them out in some baked goods this weekend.

eshlemania 10-20-2006 05:35 AM

Can you get these at Netrition?

Thanks,
Bev

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 06:02 AM

no Bev, but if you google organic cocoa nibs you will find several suppliers.

Buffy45 10-20-2006 07:41 AM

Oh, can't wait to see what all you do with these. Saw the post awhile back talking about them. ;) ;)

gpisabela 10-20-2006 10:48 AM

Kevin, do they have a good chocolate flavour? Because I'm reading a review on a site that says this and it suggests to me that they are not so flavourful as you would expect. That Mocha sounds good! I would buy them only for this.

"I think the people above me are disappointed from expecting this to taste more like "chocolate," but this is the REAL deal. Indigenous groups in areas where chocolate is a navtive plant pulverize these nibs to make a very BITTER drink that truly contains all the hyped benefits of chocolate. Unfortunately I think Polina is on to something with her stale coffee comment. This is for the truly hardcore. You could try thinking of this as "eating your vegetables." These nibs are one of the richest sources of magnesium possible, as well as many other trace minerals."

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpisabela (Post 7629363)
Kevin, do they have a good chocolate flavour? Because I'm reading a review on a site that says this and it suggests to me that they are not so flavourful as you would expect. That Mocha sounds good! I would buy them only for this.

"I think the people above me are disappointed from expecting this to taste more like "chocolate," but this is the REAL deal. Indigenous groups in areas where chocolate is a navtive plant pulverize these nibs to make a very BITTER drink that truly contains all the hyped benefits of chocolate. Unfortunately I think Polina is on to something with her stale coffee comment. This is for the truly hardcore. You could try thinking of this as "eating your vegetables." These nibs are one of the richest sources of magnesium possible, as well as many other trace minerals."

The only way I have of answering that is if your expecting sweet and sugary this is not that. True chocolate is a bit bitter with a rather nutty taste to it. This is not for the casual chocolate fan.

gpisabela 10-20-2006 11:25 AM

But I don't like sweet chocolate! My all time favourite is dark chocolate and now I like most the 85% cacao from Lindt. So, the only way to find out, is to see for myself. One more question though, sorry: what proportion coffee to cacao nibs did you use in your Mocha? And, eventually, what kind of coffee would make a better Mocha?

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpisabela (Post 7629545)
But I don't like sweet chocolate! My all time favourite is dark chocolate and now I like most the 85% cacao from Lindt. So, the only way to find out, is to see for myself. One more question though, sorry: what proportion coffee to cacao nibs did you use in your Mocha? And, eventually, what kind of coffee would make a better Mocha?

If that is your preference in chocolate then you should love cacao nibs.

What I did not say in the last post is all cacao is not created equal just as many other things we buy. If it is being sold dirt cheap then more than likely its not a better grade.
What I bought was grade #1 100% organic sundried criollo cacao nibs grown in peru. Oddly enough I got it from Victoria BC....:laugh:

I made my Mocha Java by grinding the nibs in my coffee grinder to a powder and then adding 1 heaping teaspoon to a 12 oz cup of brewed columbian coffee.

parrotchic 10-20-2006 02:45 PM

Kevin, I have both types of the cacao nibs I'll have to dig them out and give a side by side taste test. One is darker in color than the other. I love nibs I eat them right out of the bag. They taste like a coffee to me and yes bitter.

Kevinpa 10-23-2006 10:53 PM

BTW Jud......thanks for the heads-up about the nibs :notwrthy:

theislandgirl 10-23-2006 11:28 PM

Anytime, sweetpea! :laugh:

I'm having some fun with them, myself. Just tried the mocha java as you suggested, hmmmm hmmmm good!

Next, your biscotti, and then back to my Intense Mocha IceCream with Bits.

Sigh. Life is hard. :blush:

Kevinpa 10-26-2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theislandgirl (Post 7642611)
I'm having some fun with them, myself. Just tried the mocha java as you suggested, hmmmm hmmmm good!

Jud, Next time you try one of these add some davinci respberry syrup.....OMG its sinful :D

noirebfly 11-10-2006 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7651919)
Jud, Next time you try one of these add some davinci respberry syrup.....OMG its sinful :D

[COLOR="Magenta"]Speaking of a mocha java, Kevinpa, do you have any delicious coffee, tea or hot drink recipes for the winter?:p [/COLOR]

Kevinpa 11-10-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirebfly (Post 7723219)
[COLOR="Magenta"]Speaking of a mocha java, Kevinpa, do you have any delicious coffee, tea or hot drink recipes for the winter?:p [/COLOR]

I am pretty much hooked on my coffee;) :stars: so I don't play around much with drink recipes unless it has coffee in it.

I have been playing with a hot cacao using these nibs but have not perfected it yet.

noirebfly 11-10-2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7723706)
I am pretty much hooked on my coffee;) :stars: so I don't play around much with drink recipes unless it has coffee in it.

I have been playing with a hot cacao using these nibs but have not perfected it yet.

[COLOR="Magenta"]Ahhh...I see. Well thanks anyway. As it relates to the cacao, I can't wait to see what you come up with.[/COLOR]