Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/454740-chocolate-sandwich-cookies.html)

Kevinpa 10-19-2006 11:00 AM

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
 
I was going to bill these as mock Oreo cookies but the cookie reminds me more of a soft devilsfood cookie so they are just
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 T. powdered erythritol
2 T. Diabeti Sweet brown sugar
1 T. not/Sugar
1/3 cup equivilent splenda (8 drops sweetzfree)
1 large egg yoke
3/4 cup carbquik
2 T. wheat protein isolate 5000
2 T. resistant wheat starch
4 T. Special Dark (dutch processed) Hershey's Cocoa

Preheat oven to 325 degrees with rack in center position.
In an electric mixer bowl cream together the first 5 ingredients on high for 2 minutes.
Add yoke to mixture at medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl until combined.
At low speed, add flour and cocoa : mix until combined.

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Remove dough from refrigerator.
On a work surface lightly dusted with a mixture of 2 parts (wpi 5000) and 1 part cocoa powder, roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness.
Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut out the dough and place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
Remove from freezer and bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/csc56.jpg

Make filling and assemble sandwiches.

Filling
2 T. shortening (crisco green)
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
2 T. polyD
2 T. not/Sugar
2/3 cup equivilent splenda (16 drops sweetzfree)
2 to 3 t. warm water

Combine and wisk until smooth and creamy.

Makes 1 dozen sandwich cookies.
1.25 carbs each

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/csc63.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/csc64.jpg

Brendajm 10-19-2006 01:15 PM

Yum, these look like whoopie pies.. I am lazy though, doyou think I could roll into a log,, refridge and then slice and bake? I hate rolling out dough.. Or maybe just roll balls and bake??

Tweaker Geek 10-19-2006 01:49 PM

I'm with you Brenda, they look like whoopie pies and I loves whoopie pies!:love:

Kevin, I've copied this and will make them soon. I've made the flax cookies with cream cheese filling and called them my flax whoopie cookies, but these look much more whoopieish! (Is that a word? - works for me!:laugh: )

Topazz 10-19-2006 01:54 PM

I just fainted...... but can be revived with a sample of one of these!

Kevinpa 10-19-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 7625263)
Yum, these look like whoopie pies.. I am lazy though, doyou think I could roll into a log,, refridge and then slice and bake? I hate rolling out dough.. Or maybe just roll balls and bake??

The log and slice would most likely work here.

That Girl 10-19-2006 02:40 PM

oh man, i bet these would be great w/ice cream (lc of course) sandwiched between them! YUM! kevin, i really admire how hard you work to come up with new recipes for everybody. keep up the good work and know you are appreciated here on the boards. THANK YOU

lonevision 10-19-2006 02:56 PM

1.25 carbs each?? Okey, when I go into OWL, and get all the ingredients necessary, I'm totally making these.

Yummy's_Girl 10-19-2006 03:35 PM

These look great! Cant wait to make them! Going to have to place another netrition order to order two more ingredients so I can make these!

Pam 10-19-2006 03:50 PM

Hey Kevin, you must be feeling better :)

Jaideyes 10-19-2006 03:58 PM

Yum Yum! :up:

Bfranke 10-19-2006 04:55 PM

Jaideyes, how are you? Been a while since I have seen you post.
Bette

Strawberry 10-19-2006 05:44 PM

I couldn't wait to open this thread to see the pretty pictures!!
BEEEEEE-YOU-TEE-FUL!

Maggy 10-19-2006 05:49 PM

Happy Holidays for me...:kicking::kicking: Kevin...I can't keep UP with your recipes..But I WILL get there! :rofl:THANK YOU so much. No need for any cheats this year!:up::heart:

LowCarbConvert 10-19-2006 06:14 PM

They look absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to make them... maybe tomorrow.

Kevinpa 10-19-2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 7625996)
Hey Kevin, you must be feeling better :)

BTW, Thank You Pam, I am feeling better today. :)

jackieba 10-20-2006 10:05 AM

Boy those look yummy. May try for a holiday treat.

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 04:18 PM

I froze some of these and they hold up really well. As a matter of fact they are quite good eaten frozen.:cool:

LowCarbConvert 10-20-2006 07:23 PM

I made them today. :up:

They are very nice. That was the strangest dough I've ever made. The only moisture in the dough was the egg & butter, so I freaked a little and almost came here to ask if you deleted a wet ingredient.
I used the "log & cut" idea that Brendajm suggested.

The cookie crumbles easily, but the flavor was nice & chocolatty.

I used butter instead of the crisco for the filling. The filling was interesting. A little too much erythritol cooling for my taste- but I'll bet it would make a great "mint" version with a few drops of mint extract. Kinda like a mint patty.

The cookie would be a great base for making that "Famous" chocolate wafer cake, filled with whipped cream. Oh yes. I'll be making one of those soon!

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbConvert (Post 7631409)
I made them today. :up:

The cookie crumbles easily, but the flavor was nice & chocolatty.

the first batch crumbled on me too the next 2 times I made them I gave them a few extra minutes baking time and dont touch them until they are completely cooled.....and I mean completely....lol

Ovens are so touchy some times....when I got my new stove I had to learn how to make certain recipe all over again because baking times were so different between the 2.....

anyway the time on the recipe work in my oven.....you might have to adjust the time a bit so they dont crumble on you.


:laugh: that dough is strange though isnt it:hyst:

LowCarbConvert 10-20-2006 08:02 PM

Kevin, it sure is! But the slicing method worked beautifully. And I love the flavor.
I'll try tweaking the bake time next time I make them, this first time I baked them for the exact 15 minutes. It's also possible that the lack of "dusting" (no rolling) caused a little brittleness, since at that point I wasn't following the recipe instructions.

I really like that Special Dark cocoa! I made a special trip to the store thinking they wouldn't have it, but they did. Can't wait to make some hot chocolate with it.;)

Thank you!

shadowzip 10-20-2006 08:05 PM

Kevin these look just like a recipe I have called Amish Gobs. The filling I use for the original recipe is the Awrey frosting, like your LC No refrigeration whipped cream icing.

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowzip (Post 7631558)
Kevin these look just like a recipe I have called Amish Gobs. The filling I use for the original recipe is the Awrey frosting, like your LC No refrigeration whipped cream icing.


Hmmmm, I have a gobs recipe in the box someplace I'll have to drag it out and look at it.

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbConvert (Post 7631409)
A little too much erythritol cooling for my taste- but I'll bet it would make a great "mint" version with a few drops of mint extract. Kinda like a mint patty.

Oh, I almost forgot, after talking to Scott, the trick to losing the cooling effect in this icing is the amout of water you use and wisking it until the E is completely disolved. In other words all the little clumps of E have to be gone or you will get the cooling......:laugh: I was like a mad man wisking this stuff.

thecheshirekat 10-22-2006 02:00 PM

I made a batch of these chocolate cookies last night and didn't bother making the filling. I haven't found the fancy Special Dark cocoa anywhere yet, so I used the Scharffenberger I had on hand, replaced the not/Sugar with a bit of polydextrose, and used my Hi-Maize resistant starch (that's not resistant wheat starch, is it?).

They are YUMMY! I just crumbled one up and topped my frozen yogurt with it, and it was awesome :up:. They seem like they'd make a great substitute for a graham cracker/Oreo crumb pie crust... I might try it with my next cheesecake :D. Thanks for the recipe, Kevin!

Tom 10-22-2006 08:22 PM

Hi-Maize is Resistant Corn Starch, not Resistant Wheat Starch.

LowCarbConvert 10-22-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7631670)
Oh, I almost forgot, after talking to Scott, the trick to losing the cooling effect in this icing is the amout of water you use and wisking it until the E is completely disolved. In other words all the little clumps of E have to be gone or you will get the cooling......:laugh: I was like a mad man wisking this stuff.

Ah-Ha! I knew I didn't whisk it enough...


thecheshirekat, Ahhh- Sharffenberger. Yum. :up:

thecheshirekat 10-22-2006 11:04 PM

Thanks, Tom. I figured that was the case. The cookies came out decent even with the substitution, but I know I'm going to have to put in another order soon...

scott123 10-23-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7631670)
In other words all the little clumps of E have to be gone or you will get the cooling......:laugh: I was like a mad man wisking this stuff.

I don't think whisking is the answer. Heat is the only thing that will dissolve E and at this level of concentration, even if you did heat it, the E would just re-crystallize as it cools.

Erythritol + icing = bad news.

Icings such as this rely on powdered (crystallized) sugar. It's where the opaque white creamy appearance comes from. Without crystallization, it's like adding corn syrup to shortening- a gooey/translucent mess. Crystallized, the sugar is in a solid form, lending stiffness and structure to the icing. Also, when sugar is in a crystal form, it refracts light. Light refraction = opacity = white/milky/creamy appearance.

Polyd/inulin/oligofructose never crystallizes. Sorbitol dissolves too easily. Xylitol has the same cooling effect as erythritol. Lactitol is laxating and hard to obtain. Mannitol is also hard to obtain and, like xylitol, has a strong cooling effect. What's left? Maltitol and isomalt. These are the only ingredients that will make a non-cooling powdered sugar based icing. That's it. For the person that's sensitive to isomalt and maltitol, it won't be ideal, but the next best option is not/sugar.

If the coolness from the erythritol doesn't bother you too much (it bothers me), you might be able to use erythritol as a component of the powdered sugar sub- perhaps even 50/50 erythritol/isomalt.

griffin 10-23-2006 03:52 AM

wha would the ratio of not sugar be then?im sooooooooooooooo outdated

Kevinpa 10-23-2006 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott123 (Post 7638177)
I don't think whisking is the answer. Heat is the only thing that will dissolve E and at this level of concentration, even if you did heat it, the E would just re-crystallize as it cools.

Erythritol + icing = bad news.

Icings such as this rely on powdered (crystallized) sugar. It's where the opaque white creamy appearance comes from. Without crystallization, it's like adding corn syrup to shortening- a gooey/translucent mess. Crystallized, the sugar is in a solid form, lending stiffness and structure to the icing. Also, when sugar is in a crystal form, it refracts light. Light refraction = opacity = white/milky/creamy appearance.

Polyd/inulin/oligofructose never crystallizes. Sorbitol dissolves too easily. Xylitol has the same cooling effect as erythritol. Lactitol is laxating and hard to obtain. Mannitol is also hard to obtain and, like xylitol, has a strong cooling effect. What's left? Maltitol and isomalt. These are the only ingredients that will make a non-cooling powdered sugar based icing. That's it. For the person that's sensitive to isomalt and maltitol, it won't be ideal, but the next best option is not/sugar.

If the coolness from the erythritol doesn't bother you too much (it bothers me), you might be able to use erythritol as a component of the powdered sugar sub- perhaps even 50/50 erythritol/isomalt.


Scott, Although I very much respect your knowledge and experience with sweeteners, I have to say I disagree with you assessment here. I have made a point to in the last 2 days to make 7 different batches of this icing in different amounts but always the same ingredient proportions. Also I used the same method of mixing it each time. I taste tested each batch myself as well as enlisting 6 different people to test each batch without there knowledge of what I was striving for and recieved a detailed account of what they though of each batch. Of the 7 people who did the testing, myself included, nobody mentioned or eluded to the fact that there might be some cooling effect going on.

The following is the mixing method I used each time:
wisk to combine
powdered erythritol, not/Sugar, and polyD
add warm water and wisk until creamy and smooth.....(no lumps)
add crisco and wisk until combined and creamy.
add sweetzfree and wisk 1 last time until smooth and creamy


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 AM.