Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!
 
theislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,471
Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Fortunately, the main lard supplier company up here in Canada "saw the light" about half a year ago, and now proudly labels their lard "NON hydrogenated" -- and I can finally buy it again, in just a regular grocery store...your time will come, keep up those market pressures by not buying into the hydrogenates...

Meanwhile, it may be helpful, I have found in the health food stores a "Vegan Shortening" which is palm oil based. Works dandy.

ps: I have found just using lard instead of veg shortening ("crisco" is in every recipe, I swear!) or switching out to half butter, I need to reduce the total fat, too, or it's a bit "greasy", even in KevinPA's "green can crisco" recipes...by the way, I've never seen green can crisco up here, I'm guessing they didn't even bother with the Canadian market. Tsk.

__________________
Jude
Cooking, Food & Nutrition Geek
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,577
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
even in KevinPA's "green can crisco"
I can no longer get the "green can crisco" since they started advertising all crisco as "0" trans fat. I am just glad I do not need to worry about trans fat at this point in my life.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!
 
theislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,471
Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Yikes, don't know what happened there. Is there a moderator in the house that can cancel these duplicates?

Swear, I didn't do it!
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!
 
weasel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,153
Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I can no longer get the "green can crisco" since they started advertising all crisco as "0" trans fat. I am just glad I do not need to worry about trans fat at this point in my life.
What are you going to use now instead of green can crisco?
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,577
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
What are you going to use now instead of green can crisco?
vesna, all cisco claims 0 trans fat now. I'm really not to worried about it personally since my blood work is good and my Dr. tells me unless I'm eating it with a spoon its not a big deal....so any old crisco is what I use now.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member
 
Cricket4t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 272
Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Bumping!

I want to finish reading this thread but don't have time right now and don't want to loose it.
Cricket
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!
 
weasel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,153
Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Cricket, you can subscribe to a thread, using the drop-down menu under Thread Tools. Then you can use the drop-down menu under Quick Links to view all your subscribed threads whenever you want to come back to a thread, so's you don't lose track of what you wanted to read.
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member
 
Cricket4t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 272
Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
Cricket, you can subscribe to a thread, using the drop-down menu under Thread Tools. Then you can use the drop-down menu under Quick Links to view all your subscribed threads whenever you want to come back to a thread, so's you don't lose track of what you wanted to read.
Thanks Weasel, that will make it much easier!!
Cricket
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,577
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
1/3 c. + 1 T. shortening (I used crisco green with no trans fats)
3/4 c. Carbalose flour
1/4 c. resistant wheat starch
2 T. + 1 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI) sheets of wax paper.


Prick crust all over with a fork and bake 350° for 16 min.

In this following picture you can see the layers of flakiness in this LC crust. Counting 8 serving it adds only 2.25 carbs for a single crust and 4.5 carbs for a double crust pie. You can easily compare the taste to any high or low carb crust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranke View Post
but, have you tried it with your LC flour mix? Just curious.
Bette
Bette, your question peaked my curiosity so I decided to try my flour mix this morning on a single crust for experimentation.

1/3 c. + 1 T. crisco shortening
1 cup cake or cookie flour mix
2 T. + 1 t. cold water

Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

I didn't roll out the dough, rather I then took the pie crust dough and spread it out and into the pie plate using my finger tips. (I often do this with single crust pies since it is much simpler.)

I then poked fork holes in the bottem of the crust to release air bubbles during baking.

I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and baked the crust for 18 minutes.
As you can see in the picture of the baked crust I may have let it go 1 minute too long by the one darker spot on the crust. The next time 17 minutes will be plenty. BTW, the crust was by no means burnt.

First, using this mix cut the carb count in half to 1.125 carb each for 8 servings.

I have to say, although I love my original crust, I am throughly impressed with the taste and texture of this crust. I will be making several savory and fruit one and two crust pies using this crust to be sure it will hold up to the filling but with these preliminary results I am quite certain that this will become my LC crust of choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccmpc58.jpg (36.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg ccmpc63.jpg (59.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ccmpc64.jpg (34.1 KB, 84 views)
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #100
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Bfranke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,918
Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Thanks Kevin. I have 4 mixed crusts in the freezer, but may try this next time I need to make some. Having your flour mix ready to go is pretty darn handy.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,577
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
BTW, since I had a crust and no breakfast.

How about a savory 2 carb Egg and Pastry Breakfast. Yummo!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sepb02.jpg (53.7 KB, 92 views)
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #102
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
Bfranke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,918
Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Gosh, looks good to me!
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
magnamater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,097
Gallery: magnamater
Hats off, Kev, for the pastry with the mix. . .BTW, your crust was da bomb to begin with!!! So versatle.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member
 
rexsreine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Scottsdale,AZ
Posts: 714
Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Kevin, this looks great and I know the flavor is excellent, too. Do you think the dough could be rolled out so circles for pocket pies or strips for a lattice top could be cut?

Thanks, Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,577
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Kevin, this looks great and I know the flavor is excellent, too. Do you think the dough could be rolled out so circles for pocket pies or strips for a lattice top could be cut?

Thanks, Ginny
Ginny, the dough had a nice feel to it. Its ability to be rolled out and cut would depend on knowing what the dough should feel like controled by the liquid content. My guess is you could make the lattice with no problem but I am thinking that the pocket pies would work if you kept them small but typically pocket pie dough is supposed to be a little bit different consistancy. Most likely a slightly different recipe with a tad more flour and dairy for your liquid. I am quite certain though that the flour mix itself would work well.

HTH
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member
 
rexsreine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Scottsdale,AZ
Posts: 714
Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Thanks, Kevin.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #107
MAJOR LCF POSTER!
 
jackieba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,359
Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Kevin, I love your regular pie crust--how does this compare in flakiness?
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,577
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
Kevin, I love your regular pie crust--how does this compare in flakiness?
Not as flakey but almost.

I decided to do a side by side compare late this week or weekend with two zucchini pies. That will tell me better.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!
 
stephdray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,170
Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
This week I mixed up about 8 cups of Kevin's LC Cake and Cookie Flour Mix and I mixed a cannister of Erythritol/Splenda Quick Pack/Sweet One blend in Scott's proportions (I'll have to use 2/3 cups of this in place of 1 cup sugar, so the math conversions there ought to be fun.)

Anyway, once I had two blends I'm happy with, ready to use for baking the first thing I thought of was trying to make it into a crust. I'm going to try to use Kevin's recipe and I'm also going to try to convert Martha Stewart's pate sucree recipe. If Kevin's crust is better, Martha ought to give up her empire.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!
 
stephdray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,170
Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Move over Martha

So, here are my experiments from last night. The first crust I made was Kevin's low carb pie crust recipe, the original in this thread, using the new cookie and cake flour mix. The result was very tasty, but more crumbly than I had expected, and also more like a savory crust than a pie crust. But it was too good to waste, so I turned it into a delicious quiche:



Next, I tried using Kevin's low carb cake and cookie flour mix with Martha Stewart's pate sucree recipe. Her recipe called for the dough to be mixed in a food processor, and for the addition of an egg yolk. The result looked beautiful, so I turned it into an apple pie (using Lucky Leaf Lite Splenda Sweetened Apples):





Unfortunately, it looked better than it tasted. It was bitter, crumbly, thick, had the consistency of overcooked biscuits and was basically inedible.

I'm not sure what happened here. It might have been the overmixing in the food processor, but I think it was actually the egg yolk.

You see, quite accidentally, I had mixed up another batch of Martha's pate sucree recipe and forgot to add the egg yolk. That crust, without the egg yolk, turned out very well, and I filled it with low carb chocolate mousse and covered it with whipped topping. I wish I got a photo of it, but I ended up bringing it to a party and leaving it there.

For the last crust experiment of the day, I made Kevin's original recipe with carbalose and used Kevin's directions to the letter except for adding 2 tablespoon sugar equivalent (in my case, an ace-k, erythritol, splenda quick pack combo). This crust was in tight competition with the crust that became a chocolate mousse pie. I'm not sure which one is better, but they would both probably fool a non-dieter.

If any of you are not fooled, however, I highly recommend adding a heat stable sweetener for non-savory dishes. It seemed to make a big difference in the final product.

Last edited by stephdray; 10-13-2007 at 09:30 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miami-Dade, Florida
Posts: 640
Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
So, here are my experiments from last night. The first crust I made was Kevin's low carb pie crust recipe, the original in this thread, using the new cookie and cake flour mix. The result was very tasty, but more crumbly than I had expected, and also more like a savory crust than a pie crust. But it was too good to waste, so I turned it into a delicious quiche:



Next, I tried using Kevin's low carb cake and cookie flour mix with Martha Stewart's pate sucree recipe. Her recipe called for the dough to be mixed in a food processor, and for the addition of an egg yolk. The result looked beautiful, so I turned it into an apple pie (using Lucky Leaf Lite Splenda Sweetened Apples):





Unfortunately, it looked better than it tasted. It was bitter, crumbly, thick, had the consistency of overcooked biscuits and was basically inedible.

I'm not sure what happened here. It might have been the overmixing in the food processor, but I think it was actually the egg yolk.

You see, quite accidentally, I had mixed up another batch of Martha's pate sucree recipe and forgot to add the egg yolk. That crust, without the egg yolk, turned out very well, and I filled it with low carb chocolate mousse and covered it with whipped topping. I wish I got a photo of it, but I ended up bringing it to a party and leaving it there.

For the last crust experiment of the day, I made Kevin's original recipe with carbalose and used Kevin's directions to the letter except for adding 2 tablespoon sugar equivalent (in my case, an ace-k, erythritol, splenda quick pack combo). This crust was in tight competition with the crust that became a chocolate mousse pie. I'm not sure which one is better, but they would both probably fool a non-dieter.

If any of you are not fooled, however, I highly recommend adding a heat stable sweetener for non-savory dishes. It seemed to make a big difference in the final product.

You were one busy "baker"!!! I have had really GOOD success with Kevin's pie crust as originally written and have served it on several occasions to "normal" people with nothing but praise. I haven't felt the need to "experienment" further. When I bake a fruit filled pie rather than a second crust I use the "weave" technique - which allows for more of the fruit flavor to come through rather than too much crust.

I did note in your picture that it looked like you used a counter top convection oven. Did you? If so - could you PLEASE give me some "tips" on the usage - I just purchased one and unfortunately the "instruction" book that came with it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!
 
stephdray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,170
Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Ray View Post
You were one busy "baker"!!! I have had really GOOD success with Kevin's pie crust as originally written and have served it on several occasions to "normal" people with nothing but praise. I haven't felt the need to "experienment" further. When I bake a fruit filled pie rather than a second crust I use the "weave" technique - which allows for more of the fruit flavor to come through rather than too much crust.
Kevin's original pie crust recipe using the combined cake and cookie flour dough was very good under the quiche. I think the texture of his original recipe using carbalose flour and wheat resistant starch may have been better, but I didn't end up doing a direct head-to-head match b/c my family always put sugar into pie crusts, so it was like comparing savory to sweet crusts and I find that tricky. They're kind of different animals. Either way, this is a winner.

What is the "weave" technique?

Quote:
I did note in your picture that it looked like you used a counter top convection oven. Did you? If so - could you PLEASE give me some "tips" on the usage - I just purchased one and unfortunately the "instruction" book that came with it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks!
It's a countertop toaster oven. I like to bake in it because it heats up the house less and my own oven runs hot by about 25 degrees which is really aggravating when I'm trying to bake a new recipe. I wish I could give you some tips, but I'm still learning it myself!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miami-Dade, Florida
Posts: 640
Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Kevin's original pie crust recipe using the combined cake and cookie flour dough was very good under the quiche. I think the texture of his original recipe using carbalose flour and wheat resistant starch may have been better, but I didn't end up doing a direct head-to-head match b/c my family always put sugar into pie crusts, so it was like comparing savory to sweet crusts and I find that tricky. They're kind of different animals. Either way, this is a winner.

What is the "weave" technique?



It's a countertop toaster oven. I like to bake in it because it heats up the house less and my own oven runs hot by about 25 degrees which is really aggravating when I'm trying to bake a new recipe. I wish I could give you some tips, but I'm still learning it myself!
Thanks - I guess I'll just have to do my sharing of "experimenting". I made brownies the other day - and put the heat down about 25 degrees and checked from time to time - it appeared that it took about 5 minutes less time as well. They were "real" brownies - I was making them to take to a friend. Tonight I'm going to try making Kevin's LC biscuits in the oven - I'll let you know how they turn out.

Weaving is just cutting strips of the pastry and layering them by placing one strip across one way - another the opposite way and continuing in that manner getting a "weaved" pattern. I generally cut the strips with a pastry cutter.
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miami-Dade, Florida
Posts: 640
Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Ray View Post
Thanks - I guess I'll just have to do my sharing of "experimenting". I made brownies the other day - and put the heat down about 25 degrees and checked from time to time - it appeared that it took about 5 minutes less time as well. They were "real" brownies - I was making them to take to a friend. Tonight I'm going to try making Kevin's LC biscuits in the oven - I'll let you know how they turn out.

Weaving is just cutting strips of the pastry and layering them by placing one strip across one way - another the opposite way and continuing in that manner getting a "weaved" pattern. I generally cut the strips with a pastry cutter.
Hi,

I just took my biscuits out of the convection oven - I baked them at 425 and let them bake one minute TOO long - should have taken them out at 5 minutes instead - they looked GREAT (like a "picture") - but I figured one more minute wouldn't hurt - well they got just a little bit too brown on top - I'm sure they'll taste just fine. The recipe calls for a temp of 500 and baking time of 10 mins.
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 248
Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
Can you please give me the portions for Scott123's sugar replacement? My computer crashed.
kayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!
 
Kisal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,566
Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Is this the one you mean?

Scott123's Basic Sugar Sub

For each cup of sugar use:

2/3 C. polyd
1/3 C. granular erythritol
1/3 C. granular splenda (or liquid equivalent)
1 packet Sweet One ace k

Note: Scott reported later that feedback regarding this sweetener was that this was NOT sweet enough. Play with these amounts to get the sweetness level you like, perhaps increasing the Splenda to 1/2 C.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 248
Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
Thanks! I am thinking of doubling it and using one splenda quick pack. Has anyone tried this?
kayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!
 
stephdray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,170
Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
Is this the one you mean?

Scott123's Basic Sugar Sub

For each cup of sugar use:

2/3 C. polyd
1/3 C. granular erythritol
1/3 C. granular splenda (or liquid equivalent)
1 packet Sweet One ace k

Note: Scott reported later that feedback regarding this sweetener was that this was NOT sweet enough. Play with these amounts to get the sweetness level you like, perhaps increasing the Splenda to 1/2 C.
Because of the special properties that polyd imparts to recipes, I've found myself mixing up a cannister of the erythritol, splenda, and ace k and using that to sweeten things adding poly-d as needed.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!
 
stephdray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,170
Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayecat View Post
Thanks! I am thinking of doubling it and using one splenda quick pack. Has anyone tried this?
There is a formula of Scott's with that too. Lemme find it:

Poly-D Formula #2
1 Splenda quick pack
1 C. erythritol
4 packets ace k
2 1/4 C. polyd

I believe this one measures out cup for cupful as sugar, but I'm not sure.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mac24312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Far SW Virginia
Posts: 3,559
Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Bette, your question peaked my curiosity so I decided to try my flour mix this morning on a single crust for experimentation.

1/3 c. + 1 T. crisco shortening
1 cup cake or cookie flour mix
2 T. + 1 t. cold water

Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

I didn't roll out the dough, rather I then took the pie crust dough and spread it out and into the pie plate using my finger tips. (I often do this with single crust pies since it is much simpler.)

I then poked fork holes in the bottem of the crust to release air bubbles during baking.

I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and baked the crust for 18 minutes.
As you can see in the picture of the baked crust I may have let it go 1 minute too long by the one darker spot on the crust. The next time 17 minutes will be plenty. BTW, the crust was by no means burnt.

First, using this mix cut the carb count in half to 1.125 carb each for 8 servings.

I have to say, although I love my original crust, I am throughly impressed with the taste and texture of this crust. I will be making several savory and fruit one and two crust pies using this crust to be sure it will hold up to the filling but with these preliminary results I am quite certain that this will become my LC crust of choice.
How are these frozen? I am thinking about doing 3 of them in regular 9 inch pie pans and freezing them to make my pies with this weekend. Do they hold up well to either bake them and freeze them or either freeze them without baking them?

Thanks and HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.