Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   LC No Refrigeration Whipped Cream Icing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/453449-lc-no-refrigeration-whipped-cream-icing.html)

Kevinpa 10-11-2006 10:59 AM

LC No Refrigeration Whipped Cream Icing

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 T. Carbalose (level)
pinch salt (1 quick twist on a grinder)

Put in a medium non-stick sauce pan stiring constantly over medium heat until thick. Cool in refridgerator.

In another bowl

1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1/4 cup polyD
1 cup equivilent splenda (1/4 t. sweetzfree)
1 T. ThickenThin not/Sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup crisco green
1 t. vanilla

Beat until fluffy.
Add cooled flour mixture.
Beat until creamy

Makes between 1 1/2 to 2 cups creamy icing.
10 total carbs
Can be refridgerated but does not need it.

Note: Can be doubled.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/wci41.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/wci42.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/wci44.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/wci46.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/wci47.jpg

Pam 10-11-2006 01:21 PM

Oh, Kevin...........how do you come up with these mouth watering recipes? Icing to go with your Yellow Cake recipe. Thank you sooooooo much! You've made me a very happy camper :D What ingredient keeps the icing from going bad at room temperature? How long would it keep at room temperature?

Kevinpa 10-11-2006 01:35 PM

I think it the crisco Pam. This is a HC recipe that a baker friend gave me years ago to fill lady fingers. It was he that told me it was no refridgeration. By no refridgeration I believe that means they can sit out for a time and then be stored without throwing them out because they were not constantly kept cool. This LC version does well in or out of the fridge.

Pam 10-11-2006 07:30 PM

Thanks, Kevin!

shadowzip 10-11-2006 09:00 PM

Ohh Kevin This used to be my favorite HC frosting. We called it Awrey Frosting as in Awrey Bakery. Mine started out with a cup of milk and 5 TBLS flour. Then beat in granulated sugar with the crisco, not powdered. That always messed people up because the recipe I had would not work with powdered sugar. I'll have to pull that recipe out for a cake I am making for work.

LindaSue 10-12-2006 04:18 AM

I used to love those Awry's long john coffee cakes when I was a kid. Awry's made some yummy evil high carb stuff, LOL. Are they still around?

Davian 10-12-2006 05:47 AM

Thanks for such a wonderful recipe. I'm wondering what I can substitute, if anything, for the ThickenThin not Sugar. I didn't see it on Netrition's site and can't find it locally of course......
TIA!

Kevinpa 10-12-2006 06:03 AM

Netrition does carry it. not/Sugar <--- click here.

other than that.... I might suggest Xanthan but I really do not know how much. I would have to play with it to be sure.

snowangel9 10-12-2006 11:31 AM

What a great recipe and it would be a snap to make it chocolate too! Thanks for all your experminting and sharing, it's really appreciated!

24Fan 10-12-2006 12:35 PM

That recipe sort of reminds me of whoopie pie filling, with the shortening in it. Hmmm lc whoopie pies? Maybe....maybe....

Thanks, Kevin. I"ll have to buy those special ingredients but definitely worth it to have on hand.

shadowzip 10-12-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 7592625)
I used to love those Awry's long john coffee cakes when I was a kid. Awry's made some yummy evil high carb stuff, LOL. Are they still around?

Yes they are still around. They have a store in Livonia MI. I always loved that long john coffee cake too! I don't really see their stuff in stores much anymore. But you can order online if you want. http://bestsmileys.com/evil/4.gif

LowCarbConvert 10-12-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 7595017)
That recipe sort of reminds me of whoopie pie filling, with the shortening in it. Hmmm lc whoopie pies? Maybe....maybe....

Thanks, Kevin. I"ll have to buy those special ingredients but definitely worth it to have on hand.

Oh wow... I sense a whoopie pie comeing on...! :shake:

With all these great recipes here lately, I've completely run out of Carbalose. My pizza dough is proofing in the fridge and my brownies are gone...:(

Kevinpa, it looks great. Does it have any kind of flourey taste? Or is it more like buttercream? Would you be willing to put a thick layer between caker layers, or use it as a major source of filling? TIA.
Can't wait to try it out.

Kevinpa 10-12-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbConvert (Post 7596980)
Does it have any kind of flourey taste? Or is it more like buttercream? Would you be willing to put a thick layer between caker layers, or use it as a major source of filling? TIA.
Can't wait to try it out.

Karen, actually it tastes like its HC counterpart. It is very light like whipped cream. It stiffens slightly when refridgerated. I detect no floury taste but then I never did in the original either. I have never used this version to layer a cake or fill anything other that the squash cookies but is close enough to the original to say it most likely would work well.

in case you did not see this thread I used it in these.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=453520

crazywoman-n-wy 10-12-2006 09:44 PM

[COLOR="Red"]shadowzip & LindaSue, Never heard of Awry's. So don't what to compare to there.

Kevin, Don't know if I've ever eaten any of the original HC version of this either. I think I've seen a recipe for it years ago maybe. Flour in frosting sounds strange to me. But will probably give it a try one of these days.[/COLOR]

Kevinpa 10-12-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 7597049)
[COLOR="Red"]shadowzip & LindaSue, Never heard of Awry's. So don't what to compare to there.

Kevin, Don't know if I've ever eaten any of the original HC version of this either. I think I've seen a recipe for it years ago maybe. Flour in frosting sounds strange to me. But will probably give it a try one of these days.[/COLOR]

Billie, I know what that is like. It is frustrating to read a recipe and have someone tell you how good it is but not know what to expect when you do it yourself. This is one of the reasons I try my best to provide an acurate pictorial of the things I make to lessen that apprehension.

crazywoman-n-wy 10-12-2006 10:27 PM

Love your pictorals Kevin. Thanks!

Davian 10-13-2006 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7592984)
Netrition does carry it. not/Sugar <--- click here.

other than that.... I might suggest Xanthan but I really do not know how much. I would have to play with it to be sure.

:doh: I really searched too! The Not Starch came up but not the sugar one. Must have done something wrong.....Thanks so much - I just put it in my basket!

Great recipes btw... thank you for sharing them and all of your knowledge. It's greatly and widely appreciated.

24Fan 10-13-2006 12:52 PM

Kevin, one more quick question on this recipe. Do you think any of those special ingredients, minus the carbolose, would be avail at a grocery store or a natural food store? I really would like to make the flax seed choc cookies with this as a middle filling tonight. (did you see how I'm using the flax seed cookies as a whoopie pie, LowCarbConvert? :high5: )

Kevinpa 10-13-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 7599837)
Kevin, one more quick question on this recipe. Do you think any of those special ingredients, minus the carbolose, would be avail at a grocery store or a natural food store? I really would like to make the flax seed choc cookies with this as a middle filling tonight. (did you see how I'm using the flax seed cookies as a whoopie pie, LowCarbConvert? :high5: )

My guess is going to be no based on what I can find local around here but I really have no idea of what it might be like in your area.....sorry:dunno:

24Fan 10-14-2006 11:13 AM

Update to say I did find thickenthin not sugar at my natural food store, but I see I could've saved 5 dollars by ordering thru netrition. Did not find the E product nor polyD.

Cream came out wonderful tasting though :) Thanks, Kevin! Now I just gotta make the cookies.

magnamater 10-14-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 7592625)

A quick search shows Awrey's is still active in the Detroit area, and has no sugar added stuff. . .but not without flour, it appears at a glance.

Freckles 10-14-2006 01:00 PM

Thanks Kevin!

Perfect timing with the holidays so close!

I looked at the not sugar and the not starch and both have the same ingredients. Does anyone know if they are really the same product?

Kevinpa 10-14-2006 01:13 PM

I saw that the proportions are different although their ingredients are listed in the same order........

Pssssstt.........cmere.......a little closer

Don't tell anybody but when I ran out of not/Sugar once I used not/Starch in the same measurement and nobody knew.....but you didn't hear that from me.:rolleyes: ;) :laugh:

Freckles 10-14-2006 05:20 PM

Thanks Kevin. Your secret is safe... :D

SLynnB 10-14-2006 09:22 PM

Just wanted to say here that per one of my e-mail correspondence with Barbara (creator of Expert Foods). NotStach and NotSugar are somewhat interchangeable, would just take a little more NotSugar or a little less NotStarch depending on what you are subbing for. Actually, I once used the original WiseChoice frozen dessert mix to try making noodles (didn't quite get the results I wanted but ok).

This recipe sounds great Kevinpa. Just one more to add to the arsenal of when I have time.

Sheryl

SLynnB 10-17-2006 11:37 PM

Thank you so much for this recipe, Kevinpa. It is wonderful, tastes just like the real thing (or I haven't had the real thing for so long I've forgotten what it tastes like, LOL).

Of course, did make 1 small tweak, not having crisco green (of any kind for that matter), I substituted cream cheese. Perfect.

Sheryl

Kevinpa 10-17-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherlynn9 (Post 7617158)
I substituted cream cheese. Perfect.

Sheryl

hmmmm. I might have to go back and revisit the icing on my carrot cake.

Brendajm 10-18-2006 03:30 AM

I was just thinking the same thing. I loved that cake but the icing just was not what I wanted, but this sounds like it would be great,, fluffier!!! I know I am making carrot cake this week.

24Fan 10-18-2006 03:52 AM

I love this icing and I've only had splenda & thickenthin to use as sweetners. Nice and creamy.

My question, Kevinpa, does polyd add sweet flavor or is it used to thicken?

Love the cream cheese tweak, will try that sometime.

Kevinpa 10-18-2006 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 7617401)
I love this icing and I've only had splenda & thickenthin to use as sweetners. Nice and creamy.

My question, Kevinpa, does polyd add sweet flavor or is it used to thicken?

Love the cream cheese tweak, will try that sometime.

no polyD does not sweeten unless you use polyD Plus which has splenda added to it. PolyD doesn't thicken but it does help to give the mouth feel that you normally get when using sugar.