Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Latkes Galore!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/453190-latkes-galore.html)

Kevinpa 10-09-2006 09:17 PM

Latkes Galore!!

We all end up at one point or another with extra cooked or uncooked veggies that we don't know what to do with and do not want them to go to waste. When this happens to me I like to make Latkes. There are many ways and recipe out there to make these but this is my favorite applied to 3 different veggies.
All of the Latkes below are less than 2 carbs each.
Hope you enjoy.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ts/36_14_5.gif

First is Zucchini:

2 medium zucchini (coarsely shredded 400 g. approx. 2 cups)
2 whole green onions(thinly sliced)
2 large eggs
1 c. fresh finely grated parmesan cheese
1 T. LC Mayo, rounded
1/4 c. carbquik
salt and pepper to taste

After shredding, salting(about 9 turns of the salt grinder) and letting the zucchini sit for 10 minutes, be sure to squeeze it as dry as you can with paper towels....I soaked about 15 towels before it was dry enough for me.

Then mix all ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
Pan fry in a buttered non stick skillet on medium heat till both side of a 3 inch Latke is golden brown.

Makes approx 12 - 3 inch Latkes.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/zl69.jpg

Second is Broccoli:

12 oz broccoli slaw (1 bag)
2 scallions sliced thin
1 T mayo
2 large eggs
1/4 c. carbquik
1 c. grated parmisan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Put broccoli slaw in covered glass dish with 2 T. water and microwave for 5 min.
Drain.
Pan fry in a buttered non stick skillet on medium heat till both side of a 3 inch Latke is golden brown.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/bl37.jpg

Last but not least Spaghetti Squash:

1 small spaghetti squash (400 g. approx. 2 cups)
2 whole green onions(thinly sliced)
2 large eggs
1 c. fresh finely grated parmesan cheese
1 T. LC Mayo, rounded
1/4 c. carbquik
salt and pepper to taste

Halve and remove the seeds from a small spaghetti squash.
Put the 2 halves cut side down in a glass dish and microwave till the meat just scraps out in al dente strands. (Dont over cook or latkes will be harder to set while frying. If it is already cooked you may want to add an extra egg.)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/ssl23.jpg

Kevinpa 10-09-2006 10:01 PM

BTW, notice how my photographic skills have improved since 2/9/06 when the zucchini latke picture was taken........:laugh:

Brendajm 10-10-2006 04:48 AM

these look good..

Kevinpa 10-10-2006 05:31 AM

I had the Spaghetti squash ones for breakfast this morning, heated with sf syrup.......yum!!

CarolynF 10-10-2006 08:12 AM

Yummm...I LOVE LATKES!! I never thought of using broccoli slaw..how were they, Kevin? I have made both the spaghetti squash/zukes..I love to serve them with sour cream/chives..

Sounds like dinner for us tonight..:)

Kevinpa 10-10-2006 08:16 AM

They had a great taste Carolyn, I'm Like you........I LOVE LATKES!!

CarolynF 10-10-2006 08:21 AM

This is true confession time..For Christmas..we do have potato ones..my soninlaw loves them..they are the ultimate in latkes..but the rest of the year
we go LC..

My dh loved that squash you suggested..We finished it up last night..yummm.

CarolynF 10-10-2006 05:45 PM

Kevin,

I made 1/2 of a batch of the broccoli slaw ones...Absolutely fabulous..and, the easiest ones to make, too..This is a true keeper..But I did put in 2 green onions
and 1 whole T of mayo..I also left out the CQ..and they stuck together great..
Of course, they have to be browned before you flip them..Thanks a bunch..DH loved them!!!

TracyW 10-10-2006 06:10 PM

Thanks for the recipes, we usually make these with potatoes and since I am not eating potatoes these will be a great alternative.

Sweeteater 10-10-2006 07:26 PM

yum! :)

That Girl 10-12-2006 09:58 AM

i make these with asparagus and romano/parm cheese. fabulous!

kisler 10-16-2006 10:45 AM

I made the broccoli slaw latkes and they were very very good. The only change I made was to add one garlic clove. I got 6 big ones though. How do you eye ball the batter to get 12. What do you use to scoop the batter?

I'm going to make the spagetti squash ones tonight and maybe cauliflower pancakes.

Kevinpa 10-16-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisler (Post 7609253)
I made the broccoli slaw latkes and they were very very good. The only change I made was to add one garlic clove. I got 6 big ones though. How do you eye ball the batter to get 12. What do you use to scoop the batter?

I'm going to make the spagetti squash ones tonight and maybe cauliflower pancakes.

I use about 1 1/2 tablespoons, I guess I have made them so many time I just sort of know when to stop.

tyler43836 10-16-2006 10:54 AM

Kevinpa....I :heart: you! hope DW isn't a jealous woman....

Think you could make these with cauliflower? I ALWAYS end up with leftover cauliflower.

kisler 10-16-2006 10:58 AM

Thank you for your response. I have made several of your recipes and enjoyed them all.

Kevinpa 10-16-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler43836 (Post 7609299)

Think you could make these with cauliflower? I ALWAYS end up with leftover cauliflower.

Yes I made them once with some left over cauliflower I had. I was in a hurry that day though and didn't write it down.....they were very good though.

DixieMoon 10-16-2006 11:01 AM

These look interesting. After they are cooked, are they crunchy? Wondered if you could use these as a mini pizza crust -just top with sf tomato sauce, pepperoni, etc.

Kevinpa 10-16-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixieMoon (Post 7609345)
These look interesting. After they are cooked, are they crunchy? Wondered if you could use these as a mini pizza crust -just top with sf tomato sauce, pepperoni, etc.

no they are not crunchy, they are a pancake, but I would imagine they would make a good mini pizza base.

DixieMoon 10-16-2006 11:06 AM

Thanks Kevin - a good way to get in veggies and pizza.

kisler 10-16-2006 11:07 AM

I friend mine in a non-stock skillet with a little olive oil and smart balance (omegia-3 butter). They came out cripsy on the edges. Very good.

Kevinpa 10-16-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler43836 (Post 7609299)

Tyler, I went back and looked in my journal and found this note but nothing as to how much cauliflower I used:

mashed the cauliflower and combined with

2 eggs
3 T. lc flour
1 t Italian seasoning
1/4 c. grated parm cheese

fry in buttered heavy skillet

DixieMoon 10-16-2006 11:14 AM

If they come out pancake-like, I might try shredding some apple with the egg and add cinnamon or even some shredded pumpkin. Hmm - will have to experiment.

tyler43836 10-16-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7609419)
Tyler, I went back and looked in my journal and found this note but nothing as to how much cauliflower I used:

mashed the cauliflower and combined with

2 eggs
3 T. lc flour
1 t Italian seasoning
1/4 c. grated parm cheese

fry in buttered heavy skillet

I'm going to give it a try...

DixieMoon 10-17-2006 05:20 PM

Thanks Kevin for the recipe. I made my first zucchini latkes tonight. I added to the recipe some chopped pickled jalapeno peppers that DH and I canned this summer. I also added some finely shredded Mexican blend cheese. I did not use any CQ. Top with some salsa or pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream--YUM. http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/13.gif I had this with some homemade hamburger vegetable soup.

Melodye 10-18-2006 04:46 AM

These look wonderful. I use to make potatoe ones, before I began low carbing, just never thought about these.I will definately be given them a try.

BB in MN 10-18-2006 05:27 PM

Can you reheat these, because I would be the only one eating them and 12 would be toooo many:hyst:

Have you tried these with any of the winter squash?

Beth

Lehgrad 10-18-2006 05:56 PM

These were great! I made them just as the recipe said except I used regular onions instead of scallions.

Thanks for the recipe!

Kevinpa 10-18-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB in MN (Post 7620979)
Can you reheat these, because I would be the only one eating them and 12 would be toooo many:hyst:

Have you tried these with any of the winter squash?

Beth

I keep mine in a tupperware container in the fridge and love to eat them cold for a quick snack or zap them for 60 sec. in the microwave.
No, I didnt do the winter squash yet.......so many recipes.....so little time....:laugh:

SteveKITH 10-18-2006 11:25 PM

where does one buy broccoli slaw?

Kevinpa 10-18-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveKITH (Post 7622036)
where does one buy broccoli slaw?

In just about any grocery store produce section by the bag lettace.

I get mine at super walmart.

http://www.foxy.com/images/BROCSLAW3a.jpg