Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Mock Potato Hamburger Casserole (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/452206-mock-potato-hamburger-casserole.html)

Kevinpa 10-03-2006 04:50 PM

Mock Potato Hamburger Casserole

Years ago I made a casserole that I found on a box of Hungry Jack Instant Potatoes. I don't even know what the exact name of it was but on my hand written recipe that I found in a recipe box it says "Potato Hamburger Casserole".

For me this was some good old fashion comfort food with several high carb ingredients.

Anyway, today I decided to try and convert it to low carb.

The 2 main items I had to convert was instant mashed potatoes and a can of condensed tomato soup.

The soup was fairly easy using LindaSue's tomato soup recipe as a base. Since her recipe is for a finished creamy soup I did the following to make it condensed:

2 T. butter
6 three inch scallions chopped in a food processor (2 carbs)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
28 ounce can diced tomatoes (14 carbs)
1 cups chicken broth (1 carb)
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a non stick sauce pan, sautÚ onion in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, parsley, and broth; bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Puree with stick blender until smooth. Continue to simmer until puree is reduced to a thick sauce.(approx. 1 1/2 c.) Set aside.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc25.jpg

For the mashed potatoes I decided to use mashed cauliflower instead.

1 large head cauliflower (16 carbs)
2 T. butter
5 T. heavy cream (1 carb)
1/4 c. fontina cheese (1 carb)
2 T. not/cereal

Cut up a large head of cauliflower and steamed it for 20 min until it was very tender. Then in an electric mixer I mixed the cauliflower, butter, cream, cheese, and not/cereal until it was a smooth creamy texture. Set aside.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc27.jpg

2 c. fresh green beans (8 carbs)

Steam beans for 12 mins and set aside.

1 lb. ground beef
2 scallions sliced thin

In a med. high skillet, cook ground beef and scallions until browned. Drain and stir in beans and soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into a 2 1/2 qt casserole.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc29.jpg

2 c. shredded chedder cheese (8 carbs)

Mix 1 c. shredded chedder cheese with mashed cauliflower and top the beef and soup mixture.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc31.jpg

Top with 1 c. shredded chedder cheese and bake in a pre-heated 350 oven until casserole is hot and bubbly. 30 to 45 min.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc34.jpg

I made up all the parts ahead of time and put them in the fridge, then about an hour before it was time to eat I put the parts together and popped it in the oven.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc36.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/phc38.jpg

Total approx carbs for entire casserole.... 50 carbs (which btw is the carb count for just the tomato soup in the original recipe)

It was quite yummy....Hope you enjoy!

CarolynF 10-03-2006 04:52 PM

Kevin: I used to make this recipe, too...(pre-LC)..thanks for re-doing it..looks fabulous..:)

jokath 10-03-2006 05:04 PM

Wow...Kevin I had actually forgotten about that recipe but I used to make it also...pre LC. It looks great and I am definitely going to try it. Looks like real comfort food..thanks..:cool:

SSin-Deb 10-03-2006 06:23 PM

Another "WOW" from me too! Thanks so much - looks great *▄*

underHiswing 10-03-2006 07:10 PM

That looks really good, Kevin...like Shepherd's Pie...yummy! :up:

Wine2 10-03-2006 08:47 PM

Kevin,
Looks like a good dish for this fall weather! Do you think a can of Hunt's tomato sauce will substitute OK for the homemade tomato soup (except I'd add a packet of splenda)?

Alison Jean 71 10-03-2006 09:12 PM

It looks awesome. I am going to give it a try.

iloveadam 10-03-2006 09:16 PM

*drool*

MmmmmMMMmmmmmm......looks very yummy! Thank u!:high5:

Kevinpa 10-03-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wine2 (Post 7557997)
Kevin,
Looks like a good dish for this fall weather! Do you think a can of Hunt's tomato sauce will substitute OK for the homemade tomato soup (except I'd add a packet of splenda)?

I'm not really sure wine. If you try it please let us know how it turns out.

BB in MN 10-20-2006 11:33 AM

I am making this for supper tonight or tomorrow night but I do not have any not/cereal.

What else can I use, I have xanthan gum or should I just leave it out?
If xanthan gum would work how much (I've never used it :dunno: )

Thanks, Beth

Kevinpa 10-20-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB in MN (Post 7629302)
I am making this for supper tonight or tomorrow night but I do not have any not/cereal.

Thanks, Beth

If you use it beth, I'd use a very small amount like 1/2 teaspoon.

gotogirl 10-20-2006 12:37 PM

The best thing about this is that it should freeze good. What a wonderful thought, to come home after a stress day at work and defrost and reheat this. I'm making it this weekend.!

lowcarbette 10-21-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB in MN (Post 7629302)

Thanks, Beth

I never use either when making faux potatoes ... bet you'll be fine without it!

jackieba 10-23-2006 09:17 AM

Okay I gotta ask about not/cereal. Does it really make a texture difference? I see they claim it can make cauliflower feel more like potatoes and pumpkin feel more like sweet potatoes but I'm skeptical and it is expensive though it would last a very long time.

emel 10-23-2006 09:39 AM

I wonder what would happen if you substituted a half a can of campbells chicken and mushroom soup and a half a can of rotel milder tomatoes, pureed all together for the tomato soup.....

I'm lazy.

Blackhills Gal 10-26-2006 09:37 PM

I made this casserole last night and my husband and I both loved it. He said if we had company, we would have to make a double batch. He's a pretty quiet guy and usually doesn't say much about the food I put in front of him, so I was more than pleased! Thanks for the recipe.

Kevinpa 10-27-2006 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieba (Post 7639237)
Okay I gotta ask about not/cereal. Does it really make a texture difference? I see they claim it can make cauliflower feel more like potatoes and pumpkin feel more like sweet potatoes but I'm skeptical and it is expensive though it would last a very long time.

Yes I think it does. Do you need it? I am sure if you are skeptical and don't want the added expense you can get by without it.

Kevinpa 10-27-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 7639376)
I wonder what would happen if you substituted a half a can of campbells chicken and mushroom soup and a half a can of rotel milder tomatoes, pureed all together for the tomato soup.....

I'm lazy.

That would be an interesting tweak.....if you try it please let us know how it turns out.

Kevinpa 10-27-2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhills Gal (Post 7656960)
I made this casserole last night and my husband and I both loved it. He said if we had company, we would have to make a double batch. He's a pretty quiet guy and usually doesn't say much about the food I put in front of him, so I was more than pleased! Thanks for the recipe.

Your husband is alot like my FIL very quiet about food, but one thing is sure, when they do say something you are sure you are getting an honest opinion.

Thank you for your comment.

Kevinpa 11-05-2006 04:25 PM

I made a variation of this tonight for dinner that turned out very well.

I subbed 1 can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup for the tomato soup and instead of the cauliflower I subbed 3 cups sweet dumpling squash.
I also omitted the not/cereal.

The carb count was almost exactly the same.

:laugh: It was hard for me to decide which of the 2 I liked better.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/vphc15.jpg

jackieba 11-06-2006 08:16 AM

I must try this latest version. DH doesn't care for cauliflower or tomato soup but the chicken mushroom soup and squash sounds perfect for us. Thanks.

Tweaker Geek 11-06-2006 06:04 PM

Where do you guys find chicken mushroom soup? I've looked everywhere and can't find any.

Do you think I could mix half can of cream of mushroom and half can of cream of chicken and come out about the same?

Kevinpa 11-06-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 7705908)
Where do you guys find chicken mushroom soup? I've looked everywhere and can't find any.

Do you think I could mix half can of cream of mushroom and half can of cream of chicken and come out about the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7700061)

Tweaker, almost every grocery store around where I live carries this soup now.
The big difference between it an the other "cream of" soups is it is 1/3 the carb count.

I'm sure you could use the others but at the cost of the extra carbs.

LowCarbConvert 11-06-2006 08:06 PM

This recipe looks wonderful- plan on making it this week.

However, please check me on this, but I suspect that Campbell's chicken and mushroom soup has some hidden carbs. :(

Kevinpa 11-06-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCarbConvert (Post 7706446)
However, please check me on this, but I suspect that Campbell's chicken and mushroom soup has some hidden carbs. :(

They omit 2 ingredients in this soup that is in all the other "cream of" soups that makes the carb difference.....maltodextrin and corn starch.

I do believe your suspicions are wrong. Until I see proof to the contrary I believe their carb count.

Kevinpa 11-06-2006 08:55 PM

i just put this soups #'s through a hidden carb calculator and there is a fractional difference due to rounding but that is it.

Tweaker Geek 11-07-2006 02:45 PM

Thanks for that link, Kevin. I just sent them an e-mail to see where it might be available around here or if they plan to make it available.

nisha_mommy2one 08-21-2007 10:55 AM

This looks really good and I have 2 pounds of ground in the freezer that I need to use up...Can anyone very if I can change the following:

Instead of the tomato soup use the creams of mushroom as someone mention but also can I use less cheese? Im not a cheese fan and was wondering if theres any way I can add a carbquick crust? I guess like a pot pie? Would that be playing too much of the origi receipe and ruin the taste? Thanks

jlshields 08-22-2007 07:46 PM

Kevin, That looks so good! Both versions looks great for winter dinners.

Tweaker, I have only found the soup at Super Walmart.

Brandiva 10-30-2007 11:03 AM

I made this the other day and it was FABULOUS!

I made it with ground turkey instead of beef and used canned green beans since that is all I had on-hand. Instead of the notcereal, I added in a bit of cream cheese and a spoonful of ricotta cheese to the cauliflower.

This is going to be a staple at my house!