Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Simple Coconut Cookie (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/450614-simple-coconut-cookie.html)

Kevinpa 09-24-2006 05:40 PM

Simple Coconut Cookie

I was looking for something coco-nutty tonight so I threw this together.

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sweetener equivilent (i used sweetzfree/erythritol)
1 Tablespoon not/Sugar
4 eggs
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/4 teas. coconut extract
1/2 cup almond flour
2 cups unsweetened coconut

mix wet ingredients
mix dry ingredients
mix dry into wet till well incorporated

Drop small tablespoons of batter on parchment paper lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart.

Bake 15 to 18 min in a preheated 375 degree oven or until golden brown.

Makes 2 dozen cookie @ 0.75 carb each.

If you are a coconut fan....you will like these cookies. :up:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5...utcookies1.jpg

Bhambabe 09-24-2006 06:53 PM

I am new to this way of eating and I have never used this item:confused: and it seems like a lot of money :eek: , plus I would guess one would have to order it online with added shipping plus time as I want them NOW. :cool:

Any ideas regarding this would sure help,:clap: as the cookies sound so good. :up: :kicking: Thanks Kevin :D
Bhambabe

Kevinpa 09-24-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhambabe (Post 7516106)
I am new to this way of eating and I have never used this item:confused:

What item are you speaking of Bhambabe?

Bhambabe 09-24-2006 10:13 PM

Kevin so sorry I don't what I was thinking :stars: leaving the most important part out ,I guess you can tell I have been sick all day. The item is not/Sugar never heard of it until today. Thanks Kevin :)
Bhambabe

Kevinpa 09-25-2006 05:49 AM

Bhambabe, not/Sugar is a product that contains a combination of gums. It is used in LC baking and cooking where sweeteners other than sugar are used to give it more of a sugar mouthfeel. You are right when you suspect it can only be bought online. If you feel that you can't afford or don't want to wait for this item or other items to be delivered then you can always omit it and the cookie will still turn out but the texture may not be quite as good.

Kevinpa 09-25-2006 08:44 AM

BTW, these freeze very nicely and are great to eat right out of the freezer.

Lehgrad 09-25-2006 10:39 AM

Kevinpa, I looked up the Thick/Thin stuff and it has 5.3 grams of carbs per Tbspn? Do you ever use more than a Tbspn or so? I am just trying to figure out if I were to buy it, whether it would be worth the carbs.

Thx, Vicki

Kevinpa 09-25-2006 10:51 AM

Lehgrad, to find not/Sugar <-- click here.

Although it is 5.3 carb it is also 5.3 fiber therefore zero net carbs.

And yes, depending on the amount of sugar I am replacing I have used more in a recipe.

Lehgrad 09-25-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7518953)
Lehgrad, to find not/Sugar <-- click here.

Although it is 5.3 carb it is also 5.3 fiber therefore zero net carbs.

And yes, depending on the amount of sugar I am replacing I have used more in a recipe.

I did look at it on netrition. However, I had assumed that they had already subtracted the fiber? Similar to how they do it in beans - they subtract the fiber from the carbs but still post the fiber amount. It has 22 calories in it, so 5.3 g carbs x 4 calories/carb + .1 g protein x 4 calories/carbs would come out to about 22 calories...
I always do the math on products to make sure and this one didn't add up right... I assumed for this one b/c I couldn't see how there could be calories and 0 grams of everything.

Kevinpa 09-25-2006 11:24 AM

Well all I can say is the gums that make up it ingredients of this product are 100% fiber. That spells zero net carbs to me. As far as the practice of playing with the fiber numbers as you stated for beans it is my understanding that it is now an illegal practice that manucturer used to do but maybe I am wrong. As far as I know the only number playing they can do is with rounding.

Lehgrad 09-25-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7519173)
Well all I can say is the gums that make up it ingredients of this product are 100% fiber. That spells zero net carbs to me. As far as the practice of playing with the fiber numbers as you stated for beans it is my understanding that it is now an illegal practice that manucturer used to do but maybe I am wrong. As far as I know the only number playing they can do is with rounding.

Oh, that is cool. I didn't realize that there was a law about that. I guess I just don't understand where the calories would come from if there were no carbs in it.

I will probably just suck it up and order it b/c I don't like the after taste of the guar gum and count the carbs. It isn't too much for one recipe if it is such a small serving, anyways.

Thanks!!! I am excited to try that carrot cake! Yay.

Tom 10-02-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lehgrad (Post 7519004)
I did look at it on netrition. However, I had assumed that they had already subtracted the fiber? Similar to how they do it in beans - they subtract the fiber from the carbs but still post the fiber amount.

In the U.S., fiber should always be included in the total carbs - including beans. In Europe, I believe fiber is not included in the total carb count. Some European labeled products that are imported into the U.S. have this issue.

SLynnB 10-02-2006 10:03 PM

Just wanted to add, that the owner (or at least creator of, in case Barbara is no longer involved) is a lowcarber who also happens to be (hopefully, I remember this correctly) a chemical engineer who began creating for her own personal eating. Her first item was WiseChoice Frozen Dessert. She opened beta testing for that product up to members of a lowcarb online group that I belonged to at the time. Yep, an original beta tester here. Because these products were not developed by some big name corporation and were developed specifically for the lowcarber by a lowcarber, I am more than willing to pay the cost to use them.

For anyone wanting to understand lables and carbohydrate counts, go to the product website and click on the nutrition tab.

Sheryl

Buffy45 10-03-2006 06:56 AM

Sheryl, I was a beta tester for Barbara too on one of her products. I can't even remember what board that was now???

razberry 10-03-2006 08:42 AM

Kevin: Would using pourable Splenda make the carb count higher? I've never used Sweetzfree or the other sweetner. I'd like to try this as I LOVE coconut.

Kevinpa 10-03-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razberry (Post 7554822)
Kevin: Would using pourable Splenda make the carb count higher?

Yes Raz, I am afraid it would raise the carb count by a total of 36 carbs which would be 1.5 more carbs per cookie.

Bfranke 10-03-2006 09:57 AM

I think this may be where the new Splenda Quick Packs that Netrition is selling would come in handy, don't you think Kevin?
Bette

Kevinpa 10-03-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfranke (Post 7555204)
I think this may be where the new Splenda Quick Packs that Netrition is selling would come in handy, don't you think Kevin?
Bette

Yes I agree. I'm still not comfortable with measurements with fractional cups but I did volume and weight measure 2 different packs and it was pretty much what Tom said it was. So 1/2 c. equivilent is pretty easy to measure.

Buffy45 10-03-2006 10:18 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard of these Splenda Quick Packs before, so they have much less carbs than pourable splenda, just not the bulk I take it? Would this be any different than 4 ind. packets? The gr count would equal the same. I am confused, will go to Splenda's website and see if I can figure this out.

Kevinpa 10-03-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffy45 (Post 7555328)
Wow, I hadn't heard of these Splenda Quick Packs before, so they have much less carbs than pourable splenda, just not the bulk I take it? Would this be any different than 4 ind. packets? The gr count would equal the same. I am confused, will go to Splenda's website and see if I can figure this out.

Buffy each of these quick packs are equal to 1 cup sweetener and only have about 3.3 carbs. It is 1 teaspoon in volume so 1/2 teaspoon would be 1/2 cup.....and so on. they are meant to be mixed with koolaid and the like but work great with recipes also.

Bfranke 10-03-2006 10:29 AM

I will be ordering next week....have a huge order, and though I have some liquid yet, plan to order some so that I can stretch the liquid out even further.
Bette

Buffy45 10-03-2006 10:31 AM

Kevin, I understand that but wondered how these might be different than using several of the packets you use for coffee, etc. that are so much cheaper?? Wondered if there were less fillers perhaps, so less carbs than if you used whatever appropriate amount of the ind. packs it would take to = 1 cup of sweetness and of course, i don't know how many small pks that would be. I see there are only 5 packs of this new kind to a box.

Berta48 10-03-2006 10:46 AM

Thank you Kevin:shake:
For the info on the Splenda Packets. I ordered some:)
I am new to the LCWOE and I am still on INDUCTION until Friday only three days away!I think I am going on INDUCTION a while longer not sure though.
Is coconut allowed I thought it was almost all sugar?
Thanks again for your recipe.
Roberta:high5:

Kevinpa 10-03-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berta48 (Post 7555503)
Thank you Kevin:shake:
For the info on the Splenda Packets. I ordered some:)
I am new to the LCWOE and I am still on INDUCTION until Friday only three days away!I think I am going on INDUCTION a while longer not sure though.
Is coconut allowed I thought it was almost all sugar?
Thanks again for your recipe.
Roberta:high5:

As far as what is and isn't allowed during induction I can't answer since I have never followed or read atkins.

Unsweetened coconut is relitively low in carbs though due to all the fiber in it. the Now brand that I use is approx. 8 carbs per cup.

razberry 10-03-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7555053)
Yes Raz, I am afraid it would raise the carb count by a total of 36 carbs which would be 1.5 more carbs per cookie.

Thanks Kevin. I guess I'll have to find some of that Sweetzfree/used sweetzfree/erythritol. What proportions of each do you use? Also, do you have to order the items online? I've never seen in stores.

Kevinpa 10-05-2006 08:27 AM

I applied an interesting tweak to my recipe this morning. My DW wanted some chocolate flavor added to these cookies but didn't want me to increase the carbs to do it.......God!! I love a challenge.....:laugh:

I have had an unopened bottle of Davinci chocolate syrup in the pantry for awhile and this seemed like a great place to try it. My problem was in order to get enough flavor from the syrup I would be overloading the recipe with liquid and if I added more coconut to compensate I would raise the carbs.

So what I did was sub 4 T. of whole powdered eggs for the 4 eggs in this recipe. The normal instructions to reconsitute powdered eggs is 1 T. powdered eggs + 2 T water = 1 egg. Using 4 T. of whole powdered eggs + 8 T.(1/2 c.) Davinci chocolate syrup = 4 chocolate eggs. :laugh:

Anyway, I think you get the point.

Bottom line is it was a very nice taste and texture for these cookies.

oh yea I was able to reduce the sweetener by 1/2 c. because of the davinci.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/scc57.jpg

Pam 10-05-2006 11:19 AM

Made these a couple of nights ago. Oh my, these are good! DH and I enjoy them with a dish of ice cream. I like the idea of chocolate, too. I don't have whole dried egg powder, so I'd probably dip them in melted sf chocolate or just spread on some sf chocolate icing. Thanks, for another terrific recipe, Kevin!

SLynnB 10-05-2006 02:27 PM

Kevin, you have just given me a reason to have powdered eggs in my pantry. Great way to use the Davinci for flavoring in a baked product.

Sheryl

dizneegirl 10-06-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffy45 (Post 7555408)
Kevin, I understand that but wondered how these might be different than using several of the packets you use for coffee, etc. that are so much cheaper?? Wondered if there were less fillers perhaps, so less carbs than if you used whatever appropriate amount of the ind. packs it would take to = 1 cup of sweetness and of course, i don't know how many small pks that would be. I see there are only 5 packs of this new kind to a box.

MUCH less filler in the new packets.

It would take 24 of the original small Splenda packets to equal a cup of sweetner... at 1 carb per packet, that's 24 carbs right there.

Buffy45 10-06-2006 08:25 AM

Thanks Diznee, I finally got some answers to that and so happy to see this new version. I have it on my list, hope I can find it at the grocery store as I just had placed an order to netrition and didn't include it.