Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Splenda question

OK....could you take a Splenda Quick Pack and put it with a cup of polydextrose to = 1 cup of sugar for baking?
thanks,
Carol
cgarza is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LauraFL
Stats: 230.2/226.8/170 5'6.5"
WOE: What day is it? *scratches head*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarza View Post
OK....could you take a Splenda Quick Pack and put it with a cup of polydextrose to = 1 cup of sugar for baking?
How do you handle polyD? It's not so kind to all of us. I've been experimenting with the brownie recipes, and while they are FANTASTIC in taste, the polyD in the recipes can be a real killer! You may need to stay close to the toidy if you don't handle it well either!

Kevin,

I was going to make these today but thought the recipe only needed 1/2 c. coconut, which is about all I have. Instead I'm going to try adjusting your isomalt ice cream recipe and making some pina colada ice cream. I'm going to use Pineapple DaVinci's, coconut extract, and 1/2 c. coconut. I might even throw in some chopped pecans. BUT, I'm looking forward to making these too because they look delicious!! I'm just too lazy to go to Wild Oats today to get the bulk unsweetened coconut. (Plus the place is CRAZY on the weekends!)

Last edited by LauraFL; 10-07-2006 at 12:13 PM..
LauraFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LCinFL
Start Date: June 6, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I was looking for something coco-nutty tonight so I threw this together.

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sweetener equivilent (i used sweetzfree/erythritol)
1 Tablespoon not/Sugar
4 eggs
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/4 teas. coconut extract
1/2 cup almond flour
2 cups unsweetened coconut

mix wet ingredients
mix dry ingredients
mix dry into wet till well incorporated

Drop small tablespoons of batter on parchment paper lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart.

Bake 15 to 18 min in a preheated 375 degree oven or until golden brown.

Makes 2 dozen cookie @ 0.75 carb each.

If you are a coconut fan....you will like these cookies.
I'm currently baking this!! I had to try it right away because it sounded so yummy!! I don't have the not/sugar stuff, so I cut all the portions in half except I used 3T butter and still kept the 1/2 c almond flour as is. The "batter" came out very well and thick and I put 12 mounds of it on a baking sheet. I'm excited to see how they come out in 15 minutes!!!
LCinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LCinFL
Start Date: June 6, 2005
OMG they are so good!!!!

Thanks so much Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LCinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
You know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it", well I never pay attention to it......

Being a true Tweaker at heart I tweaked my own recipe today.....lol

I am not changing the recipe but for those of you who have coconut cream concentrate, if you sub 54g for the 1/4 c. butter, it changes this cookie from a buttery coconut cookie to a much more intense coconut cookie. Almost maccaroon-like. I was going to take a picture....but it pretty much looks the same. I think it makes a great variation.

Oh yea....the coconut cream concentrate need to be melted for it to combine with the other ingredients.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 10-09-2006 at 08:51 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
In the U.S., fiber should always be included in the total carbs - including beans. In Europe, I believe fiber is not included in the total carb count. Some European labeled products that are imported into the U.S. have this issue.
In Europe, the "Carbohydrate" count is not Total Carbohydrates, but non-Fiber Carbohydrates only; they list the Fiber separately, not as a part of Total Carbs. In short, they already "net" the carbs. They also use a standard 100g size to scale their Nutrition Facts, not a "serving" size. They've always done this, it's their rules, not an issue.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #37
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
I meant that it becomes an "issue" if Americans think they can deduct the fiber from the total carbs of a European label.

I like the way the Europeans do it better. Fiber probably should not be included in carb count. And, more importantly, by using 100 gram Nutrition Facts, they are less able to play games with serving size and rounding like when products that clearly have partially hydrogenated oils in them as a significant ingredient yet the serving size is made so small that they round the trans fat number down to 0.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #38
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
KevinPa
Are powderd eggs the same as egg replacer? probably a dumb question but I have egg replacer in my cupboard.

And also if I used Splenda packets what would the Carb count be per cookie please?I just received my unsweetened coconut today

I would like your ice cream recipe also.
I have a recipe for Funnel cake do you want it to play with??I bet you could come up with one.It's easy so here it is anyway You said you love a challenge!!So I challenge you

11/3 c Flour,1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp bking soda, sift together in bowl. In separate bowl beat 1 egg, 2/3 c milk or (ore if batter is too thick.)

add dry ingredients beat til smooth Put finger over hole in funnel and pour batter in till funnel is full. Then drizzle over HOT oil 375. Turn once drain on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon and powdersugar orjelly or whatever you want. Serve hot.

Let us know if it turns out and the nutrition values of each one.MMMM

Last edited by Berta48; 10-10-2006 at 07:01 PM..
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Are powderd eggs the same as egg replacer? probably a dumb question but I have egg replacer in my cupboard.
I am not familiar with that product. Since I can't list the address for where I purchased them here I suggest you might find them by googling "whole powdered eggs" and then be able to compare the discription of them with the product you have.

Quote:
And also if I used Splenda packets what would the Carb count be per cookie please?
LindaSue has a great splenda conversion chart on her site to help with your carb counts. She even has a printable version. You can find it here ----> http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/sple...ion_chart.html

Quote:
I would like your ice cream recipe also.
Here is the link for the ice cream recipe thread ----> Isomalt Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Quote:
I have a recipe for Funnel cake do you want it to play with??I bet you could come up with one.It's easy so here it is anyway You said you love a challenge!!So I challenge you.
That really would be a challenge. Since I or my DW have never eaten a funnel cake I would be hard pressed to know if it tasted anything like the real thing.
I'm sorry, I guess I should have put a disclaimer with that challenge statement saying I don't post recipes that I have not tested first.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:08 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: thecheshirekat
WOE: Back to Atkins
Start Date: This restart - 10/1/12
Kevinpa,

I just gave this recipe a shot tonight for the first time. It was also my first time playing with erythritol.

What mix of erythritol and sweetzfree did you use in your recipe? I put in approx. 40 drops of sweetzfree and used 1 cup of erythritol and 1/2 cup of polydextrose (trying to make up for the not/Sugar that I don't have). The cookies have a fabulous chewy macaroon texture, and they were great right out of the oven, but as soon as they cooled, the cooling power of the erythritol really took over. I'm not fond of that sensation at all .

Any thoughts on how to combat that? Is there a better proportion of sweetener I could use? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before :blush:.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheshirekat View Post
Kevinpa,

I just gave this recipe a shot tonight for the first time. It was also my first time playing with erythritol.

What mix of erythritol and sweetzfree did you use in your recipe? I put in approx. 40 drops of sweetzfree and used 1 cup of erythritol and 1/2 cup of polydextrose (trying to make up for the not/Sugar that I don't have). The cookies have a fabulous chewy macaroon texture, and they were great right out of the oven, but as soon as they cooled, the cooling power of the erythritol really took over. I'm not fond of that sensation at all .

Any thoughts on how to combat that? Is there a better proportion of sweetener I could use? Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before :blush:.
sorry i should have said I never use more than 1/4 c erythritol and about 30 drops. You could most likely cut the polyD to 1/4 c or less too.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: thecheshirekat
WOE: Back to Atkins
Start Date: This restart - 10/1/12
Quote:
sorry i should have said I never use more than 1/4 c erythritol and about 30 drops. You could most likely cut the polyD to 1/4 c or less too.
Ahhh. I'll give it another shot with those ratios, and I'll stick this batch in the freezer (since they already taste like icicles anyway! ). Thanks for the help!
thecheshirekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #43
Berta48

Thank you for all the info Kevinpa
Funnel calkes takes like a DOUGHNUT USUALLY WITH POWDERED SUGAR ON TOP AND COOKED APPLES/
They are those wonderful looking and awsome smelling things at a fair or carnival!!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Quote:
Thank you for all the info Kevinpa
Funnel calkes takes like a DOUGHNUT USUALLY WITH POWDERED SUGAR ON TOP AND COOKED APPLES/
They are those wonderful looking and awsome smelling things at a fair or carnival!!

OMG, funnel cakes are my favorites. I used to like to make them for my family in the wintertime and put fruit toppings, whipped cream, powdered sugar, chocolate, whatever on them. I bet that alot of these lowcarb pancake recipes that don't taste fantastic would be great to make funnel cakes with. I mean, the oil you fry them up makes up alot of the taste, then by the time you put SF whipped topping and SF chocolate syrup or LC jelly on them, they'd be "almost" the same. I'll have to try that!
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Quote:
KevinPa
I have a recipe for Funnel cake do you want it to play with??I bet you could come up with one.It's easy so here it is anyway You said you love a challenge!!So I challenge you

11/3 c Flour,1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp bking soda, sift together in bowl. In separate bowl beat 1 egg, 2/3 c milk or (ore if batter is too thick.)

add dry ingredients beat til smooth Put finger over hole in funnel and pour batter in till funnel is full. Then drizzle over HOT oil 375. Turn once drain on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon and powdersugar orjelly or whatever you want. Serve hot.

Let us know if it turns out and the nutrition values of each one.MMMM
I might try this over the weekend using a mix of almond flour and gluten flour along with LC milk. I've yet to venture into the PolyD and Carbalose and those kind of ingredients. So far, I just buy what they have at our local supermarket. I just wasted so much time on those items years ago and cried myself to sleep at the results. I'm sure they are much better now, but I just haven't gotten the nerve up. Anyway, I'll let you know how it comes out!
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #46
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
I might try this over the weekend using a mix of almond flour and gluten flour along with LC milk. I've yet to venture into the PolyD and Carbalose and those kind of ingredients. So far, I just buy what they have at our local supermarket. I just wasted so much time on those items years ago and cried myself to sleep at the results. I'm sure they are much better now, but I just haven't gotten the nerve up. Anyway, I'll let you know how it comes out!
I used 1/4 c Atkins bake mix 1/4tsp baking powder pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp Davinci vaniila syrup and four pks Splenda , 1 egg.I liked them. I put whipped cream and cinnamon on them they were grrrreat (to my taster)
Old 11-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #47
jch
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jch
I made the coconut cookies yesterday. Followed the recipe, except subbed my jena marie flour blend for the almond flour. They are very good. Even non low carbers like them. Very quick and easy too. Thanks Kevin for this recipe..... Joan
jch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #48
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Hey Kevin??

In your original recipe, what proportion of **1 1/2 cup sweetener equivilent (i used sweetzfree/erythritol)** did you use?

TIA

**Sorry, I should have read better. I found my answer in another post**

Last edited by Xcali; 11-07-2006 at 09:17 PM..
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I was looking for something coco-nutty tonight so I threw this together.

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sweetener equivilent (i used sweetzfree/erythritol)
1 Tablespoon not/Sugar
4 eggs
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/4 teas. coconut extract
1/2 cup almond flour
2 cups unsweetened coconut

mix wet ingredients
mix dry ingredients
mix dry into wet till well incorporated

Drop small tablespoons of batter on parchment paper lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart.

Bake 15 to 18 min in a preheated 375 degree oven or until golden brown.

Makes 2 dozen cookie @ 0.75 carb each.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Another variation to this simple but excellent cookie.[/COLOR]

Sub Coconut cream concentrate for the butter.
Add 1/4 cup Special Dark Hershey's Dutch Processed Cocoa.
Total sweetener 2 cups (1/4 cup erythritol, 1/8 cup diabeti sweet brown, 1 1/8 cup equivilent sweetzfree)
Make per directions.

Yummy

Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #50
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I just made these tonight. I subbed the almond flour with coconut flour and the butter with coconut oil. I thought it would make them really coconutty. While they taste terrific, they are so crumbly that when I pick one up, it almost falls apart. I'm not sure if its the coconut flour or the oil which is causing the problem.

I'm going to try this again using butter and coconut flour, see what happens then.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
I just made these tonight. I subbed the almond flour with coconut flour and the butter with coconut oil. I thought it would make them really coconutty. While they taste terrific, they are so crumbly that when I pick one up, it almost falls apart. I'm not sure if its the coconut flour or the oil which is causing the problem.

I'm going to try this again using butter and coconut flour, see what happens then.
It's the coconut flour; that stuff just does NOT want to stick together.

I'd only sub part of the almond flour with coconut flour, me. If you need to get rid of the almonds for some reason (allergic?), consider some other ground nut, or some kind of bake mix (carbquik, atkins, jena marie's, homemade, etc., maybe even some wheat protein isolate...).

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #52
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Jude !!

I thought it would taste more coconutty if I used coconut flour instead of almond flour. I've got no probs using almond flour at all. I appreciate your advice.

Time to make batch #2
Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

One of the first attempts I made at these cookies I used coconut flour just for kicks and the fact that I still have about 4 lbs of the stuff left and the results, in my opinion, were not worth posting.....so I ddn't.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #54
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kev ..

I knew I shouldn't have tried to tweak this, it sounded perfect as it was. Oh well, no harm. Second batch is in the oven now using your original recipe.

Smells so yummy!!

The first batch tastes fine, just so crumbly. I ended up just crumbling them all up, going to use it as a topping for my morning yogurt.

Last edited by Xcali; 11-27-2006 at 10:06 PM..
Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I have found that when using coconut flour, you cannot substitute more than 1/4 part with it, but I have gotten better results when using only 1/8 part coconut flour, but in this recipe, that wouldn't be much at all.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Coconut flour IMHO has been one of the biggest low carb disappointments that I have encountered. I have never seen any improvement to taste or texture by the addition of any amount to a recipe.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #57
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Coconut flour IMHO has been one of the biggest low carb disappointments that I have encountered. I have never seen any improvement to taste or texture by the addition of any amount to a recipe.
That's too bad I recently purchased a huge bag of coconut flour from Netrition. I thought it would be a great addition to certain recipes.

The carb count is great and its got a low GI. Oh well, at least is wasn't super expensive.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherFeather
Stats: 185/175/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2002 restart 6/2011
These have become one of my all time LC favorites. I just wanted to share a tweak that I thought came out great.
I just added about 1T. orange zest and about 1/2 cup of the LC sweetened dried cranberries. These are also really good with a drizzle of melted LC choc (I use Choco perfection) on top (think Samoas). In fact, I think I am going to try and make a LC Samoa (the girl scout cookie) with this recipe and some LorAnns carmel flavoring and the choc drizzle.
HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Kev ..

I knew I shouldn't have tried to tweak this, it sounded perfect as it was. Oh well, no harm. Second batch is in the oven now using your original recipe.

Smells so yummy!!

The first batch tastes fine, just so crumbly. I ended up just crumbling them all up, going to use it as a topping for my morning yogurt.
Hey, you've just made a very fine streusel type topping...!

Useful in so many ways, like on top of a Blueberry Crumble, etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherFeather View Post
These are also really good with a drizzle of melted LC choc (I use Choco perfection) on top (think Samoas). In fact, I think I am going to try and make a LC Samoa (the girl scout cookie) with this recipe and some LorAnns carmel flavoring and the choc drizzle.
Looking forward to the results of this Heather!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote