Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I found those calabaza squash and got one. Can anyone suggest the best way to cook this?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Okay, can you use the seeds from the squash to plant in the garden? I just cut up my last delicata this morning and still have the seeds. Or am I totally off here and need to buy the seeds.....

Thanks
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have never had much luck growing seeds that I saved.....it was always like a 50/50 shot if they would grow so I don't bother because by the time you find out they are not growing its too late to plant fo that year.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #154
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I never had much luck with using saved seeds either and for the minimal cost of seeds, it's not worth taking the chance, in my opinion.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Guess I will go throw them away!!! LOL
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #156
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
I'd love to give the Delicata squash a try, but to be honest, I've never grown a vegetable. I grow lots of flowers and such, but never tried my hand at food.

Are they difficult? What are their basic requirements for sun and temp?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

If you can grow a flower then you will have no problem growing a winter squash. There is not much more to growing squash than sowing the seeds and have the place to grow it. Other than when they are very small plants you don't even have to weed them. They grow on a vine and tend to spread out a bit.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 12-27-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #158
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Our biggest problem with our vegetable garden is deer. They never bothered summer squash though so I'm hoping maybe they'll leave these alone (but then the yellow squash are kinda hidden under the big leaves). They get about half our tomatoes and when we tried growing fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe, etc), they ate it all before it ripened. I do have a question though, since these squash are alot bigger than the summer squash, they're going to be laying on the ground--is there a problem with rotting because of that? I can't afford to mulch the garden. DH does not want to fence the garden (a friend gave us elec fencing material but DH wouldn't install it). I tried putting marigolds around it but it did not help with the deer.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #159
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Jackie ..

I kinda feel your pain .. lol .. 2 yrs ago I spent more than $100 on flower bulbs .. I planned out this beautiful bulb garden, well, I didn't know squirrels ATE bulbs!!! They got to more than 50% of of them. I was so upset. There are hundreds of squirrel where I live, no deer, but definitely squirrels and chipmunks.

No matter what I try, they still get to 'em, although not as bad as 2 yrs. ago when I knew nothing about them liking bulbs. I can only imagine what they would do to veggies. I'm even kinda nervous about planting the squash, don't know what the critters might do to them
"Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away." - Tom Clancy[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]"The best diet is the one you're not on"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Magenta"] Kickin' The Last 10 To The Curb Challenge 01/08/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 [COLOR="Magenta"]132[/COLOR] 131 130 129 [COLOR="red"] 128 [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #160
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

We have tons of squirrels here too (my easter lilly bulbs are having a hard time from them and the deer--I can see deer tracks in my flower garden) but the only veggie we had a problem with from squirrels was corn--they ate every bit of it; we put up a "scarecrow" that had pans that made noise--they knocked it down and sat on it while they ate the corn. We have lots of wildlife--deer, racoons, squirrels, occasionally foxes, coyotes, a few bobcats--I guess we're lucky we get any veggies.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #161
Typos, Typos, As Far As The Eye Can See...

[COLOR="Red"]bump![/COLOR]
Woman Typing Badly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
at my store they had 10# potato bags full of squash reduced for $2! I got a bag of organic delicata and a bag of the little ones..

my question is about stoarge: I put them on the table on my porch last night.. do you think that's ok or will they get too cold this time of year? we are in the SE region of the US

thanks.. and thanks to kevinpa for the great recipes
~mina~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #163
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mina~ View Post
my question is about stoarge: I put them on the table on my porch last night.. do you think that's ok or will they get too cold this time of year? we are in the SE region of the US
Mina, if they are kept in a cool dry place and the stem is still attached they can last a couple of months as is. They can also be frozen cooked or uncooked but will not retain their firm texture that way and are best used as you would cooked pumpkin.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 10-31-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

thanks.. im scouring the threads now to find recipes im going to try your Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage and Delicata Squash Pie and Bacon Squash Browns. unfortunately im going to have to make a crust using an old bisquick recipe (with carbquik) so it wont quite be the same (I dont have the ingredients you use, which Im sure make it wonderful).

I truly appreciate you sharing your recipes It is only because of people like you, who are patient and spell things out for people like me, that I am able to cook anything.

My husband thinks Im a chef *giggle*

ps: I was concerned about the overnight frost.. do you think in the plastic bags it will make too much moisture? I dont have a cellar or even a garage lol

honestly.. my eyes were bigger than my freezer is.. I probably got 6 delicata for $2 and 10-12 small ones! I did check the skins they are perfect.. it was just time to switch those fallish type squash out for butternut. I guess the only thing people around here use the baby ones for is decoration!

Thanks again, youre a gem.

[COLOR=Magenta]Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
[/COLOR]
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #165
Blabbermouth!!!

I would think if you suspect frost that loosely covering them with heavy paper or plactic would protect them if you uncover them the next day.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
I also microwaved the Sweet Dumpling without cutting--just poked holes in it and nuked it (I think it took a total of 5 minutes.) My problem was that I wanted to use it right away, and it was too hot to handle easily. But other than that, it cut easily and I was able to just scoop everything out.

We had it that night as a mashed potato substitute with chicken breasts and mushroom gravy, made with the Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup. This meal used to be a staple at our house, before lc, and it was great to have it on the menu again!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

I had forgotten about this old standby recipe.. it's SO good and PERFECT for chilly nights I dont have carb counts, I suppose it would make a difference which squash you used, but not by much

I cant recall where I found this.. somewhere on the net
Squash Soup

Ingredients :

1 1/2 lb winter squash chopped
1 small onion
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions:

Combine squash, onion and spices.. cook on low for 10 minutes stir in broth and cook another 15 minutes.

Cool Slightly and pour 1/3 into blender and blend until smooth, repeating until all of the mixture is blended .. reheat soup before serving and swirl in some sour cream.. yummy!

I love this recipe.. instead of the spices I sometimes use Mrs Dash Hot and Spicy

Serves: 4-6

Last edited by ~mina~; 11-01-2007 at 06:09 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I am in the process of nuking 7 delicata squashes. . .letting them cool, seeding and peeling, then freezing. (if this works, I'm doing more for the freezer! I love this squash)

I am freezing them because I want this for thanksgiving and other times. . .and no one else eats sugar free/LC but me--at that dinner (DH loves to eat LC with me, but not that day). Will make that day easier for me!

Also these little babies aren't available any other time. . .so I've got my fingers crossed this works/is easy!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

please let me know if it works out for you I have 3 potato sacks of squash lol
Old 11-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, it was WORK, seeding and peeling, but worth it.

The microwave works well. . .and of course if they are cooled off, they are easier to handle.

I would do it again!

Mina, you have a gold mine!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

haha yeah Ive made Kevinpas turkey sausage and delicata pie twice this week.. youve got to try it.

I forgot I posted this soup recipe.. its getting cold here so ill make this tomorrow!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mina, I had the sausage/delicata pie last year and it is yummo! However, we are still balmy here (Texas Gulf coast). . .in the 80's, so I'm glad I can freeze my stuff for later. . .I'm thinking I might nuke another batch next weekend. . .

Last year someone said they (the frozen foods people) have frozen winter squash, but I've never seen it. Wish they'd sell this.

Also sorta considering a garden with this yummy squash in it next year. . .but I'm not very "green" with my talents. And our wild goats would trample 'em anyway. . .they can't be fenced. . .hence. . .wild goats. . .not really ours either! Can't catch 'em.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Last year someone said they (the frozen foods people) have frozen winter squash, but I've never seen it. Wish they'd sell this.
[COLOR="Red"]Bird'sEye brand frozen foods has the frozen winter squash. I found it after I started making Delicata squash. Haven't made any yet. Got 2 boxes in the freezer to try later. [/COLOR]
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ohhh, thanks, for the heads up on frozen squash. Will look again! Seem to have more money than time. . .and not much of either!!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Ohhh, thanks, for the heads up on frozen squash. Will look again! Seem to have more money than time. . .and not much of either!!
[COLOR="Red"]YW[/COLOR]
Old 11-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
at my store they had 10# potato bags full of squash reduced for $2! I got a bag of organic delicata and a bag of the little ones..
lol remember this post? well.. my friend gave me an ENORMOUS.. I mean truly ENORMOUS squash. it is the size of my patio table. I think it's a banana squash.

the squash glossary

i made squash soup out of some 'white' acorn squash.. it is a lovely yellow color and tastes WONDERFUL
Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tish437
I've read through this whole thread. This weekend I'm making a roast in a Reynolds Oven Bag (the best way to make a roast!), and I'm going to include 2 or 3 of the different squashes (squish?) to try out. Just throw them in the bag with the roast and let them cook.
Tish437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
This post deserves a BUMPITY BUMP to page one!!! Thanks for starting this Kevin
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Thanks to the pictures here, I found a Delicata and Sweet Dumpling along with a Butternut today at Harris Teeter and am anxious to try something new.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Why can't I find these in San Antonio???? Bummer!
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote