Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
I cooked the delicata today. I mashed with cinnamon, nutmeg, little pkt splenda and butter... I ate it all. It was about a 5" squash. I will buy more to share next time.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brennyS
Hubby and I had the Sweet Dumpling. OH MY!! So sweet! Bought at Wallly World. They were a little small but as someone mentioned, the smaller might be sweeter. Didn't need sweetener at all. I nuked it, mashed with my stick blender, salt, pepper and butter. Thought I'd died and gone to sweet potato heaven!
brennyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mel78
Hmmm... I have a sweet dumpling one at home waiting for something to be done with it... ... Guess I'm having it tonight with my steak!!!
Mel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
You know...I have some ornamental squash or gourds that I bought from the produce department for decorating my table at Thanksgiving and they're looking a little tasty! Hmmmm...I wonder if they're edible? Anyone kknow if the little, short squatty ones with little bumps all over them are edible? Worst would be they would be nasty or could they be poisoness? Anyone ever try cooking one?
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2 View Post
You know...I have some ornamental squash or gourds that I bought from the produce department for decorating my table at Thanksgiving and they're looking a little tasty! Hmmmm...I wonder if they're edible? Anyone kknow if the little, short squatty ones with little bumps all over them are edible? Worst would be they would be nasty or could they be poisoness? Anyone ever try cooking one?
Sometimes they are bitter or dry or fibrous inside; depends...they're grown for their looks and some MAY be edible, but there's no way of finding out but one; yes, cut 'em open! After all, the turban squash is edible and very pretty, too.

As far as I know, NO winter squash is actually poisonous...I'm positive they would not be sold in grocery stores, decorative or not, if they were.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
So did I. And out of 15 winter squashes listed, 11 had identical Nutritional Info:
  • [COLOR=darkgreen]3/4 C raw 85g total weight, 30 cals, 7g total carb, 1g dietary fiber[/COLOR]
which also matched the NF info for generic "winter squash" elsewhere on the web (so far). Those identical winter squashes being: [COLOR=sienna][COLOR=orange]Australian Blue, Banana, ButterCup, ButterNut, Carnival, Delicata, Golden Nugget, Kabocha, Red Kuri, Sweet Dumpling, Turban[/COLOR][/COLOR]. All of which have varying levels of sweetness.

The only 4 that differed:
  • lower - Mini Pumpkin (white or orange), at 20 cals, 6/2 Carbs/Fiber
  • lower - Spaghetti, at 30 cals, 6/1 Carbs/Fiber
  • lower - Hubbard (blue/orange), at 35 cals, 7/2 Carbs/Fiber
  • higher - Green Acorn, at 35 cals, 9/2 Carbs/Fiber
Call me fussy (or don't ) but I have some issues with that level of identical information. Nutrition Labelling has always been a sort of "by difference" thing, where some basic generic numbers, for carbs, are good enough unless otherwise actually (expensively) lab tested. Even most of the USDA info comes from producers and manufacturers.

Still searching, in my spare time ...

Sigh.

[COLOR=#ff0000]I went there too. Their info on the butternut squash really conflicts with the USDA nutrient listing. The butternut had the same listing as shown above = 7g minus 1g fiber. The USDA says 11.69g - 2g fiber. Quite a difference!!!!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Problem is the USDA doesn't list very many different squashes.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Now I'm wondering just how many carbs are actually in those squashes. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]But Kevin said he wasn't having bad effects from them. So guess they are OK.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Now a question..... Has anybody tried the Golden Nugget yet? I found one today at WalMart, but couldn't remember if it was one that Kevin had told us about. I didn't buy one. Now I wish I had. Probably be gone when I get back in.[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 11-27-2006 at 09:02 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Islandgirl! I hate to let it go to waste. I'll post the results after I've tried it!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine2 View Post
I don't know about them being poisonous, but they are only edible when they are very young. Once they get bigger, they are sour and bitter.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

Of the squash listed, which do NOT taste like sweet potatoes?

Just curious, as the one I had last night was eriely exactly like sweet potatoes
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Mel78, I am curious too. Which one did you have that tasted exactly like sweet potato?
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Rachel Ray's 30 minute show used FROZEN winter squash. . .lucky are those that can find it, I've looked and can't find it. How easy would that be????!!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #132
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
The sweet dumpling does not taste like sweet potato--it's tastes more like a white potato. The delicata is alot like sweet potato. Those are the only ones I've tried. The sweet dumpling is really hard to cut open raw though.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
This is just a tip I found for cutting the hard winter squash. It works for me.

Tak a very large, heavy cleaver type knife and a wooden mallet, score the squash with the knife so blade is in just a little bit. With one hand holding knife, hit the top of the blade edge with the wooden mallet repeatedly unitl the squash is cut through. I have done three so far and not damaged the knife or the mallet.
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
...[COLOR=#ff0000]Now a question..... Has anybody tried the Golden Nugget yet? I found one today at WalMart, but couldn't remember if it was one that Kevin had told us about. I didn't buy one. Now I wish I had. Probably be gone when I get back in.[/COLOR]
He started this whole thing up and named 4 squashes, with pics, in post #1 of this very thread, back on page 1 ...

Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshields View Post

Tak a very large, heavy cleaver type knife and a wooden mallet, score the squash with the knife so blade is in just a little bit. With one hand holding knife, hit the top of the blade edge with the wooden mallet repeatedly unitl the squash is cut through. I have done three so far and not damaged the knife or the mallet.
I've read that, too. And wouldn't you know? The one thing I DON'T have in my kitchen is a wooden or rubber mallet! Sheesh.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
He started this whole thing up and named 4 squashes, with pics, in post #1 of this very thread, back on page 1 ...

[COLOR=red]Yes, I understand that. I stated that wrong. I should have just asked him or anyone else who tried it how it tasted. I wasn't sure how to put it. He never got back to us on that one. Or at least if he did, I missed it. And I checked all the posts last night before I asked. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I realize that eveyone's tastes are different, but wondered what it might be similar to. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #137

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshields View Post

Here is another method I found by googling.......

cut both squashes into halves, then quarters, with a large chinese cleaver, if you have one. A small hatchet will work or - in a pinch -
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Quote:
I've read that, too. And wouldn't you know? The one thing I DON'T have in my kitchen is a wooden or rubber mallet! Sheesh.

Anything that can be used to hit the knife, you can use. I use the chef's knife and the tool to roll the dough, whatever it's name might be . By the way, how's the snow there on the island?
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
The sweet dumpling does not taste like sweet potato--it's tastes more like a white potato. The delicata is alot like sweet potato. Those are the only ones I've tried. The sweet dumpling is really hard to cut open raw though.
Excuse my error... You are correct... I had the #2 in his pictures and it was the Delicata squash... .

So, I guess I'm off to find the Sweet Dumpling squash...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel78 View Post
Of the squash listed, which do NOT taste like sweet potatoes?

Just curious, as the one I had last night was eriely exactly like sweet potatoes
To me, the butternut squash tastes just like sweet potato.

If you nuke the delicata or sweet dumpling with some butter, they don't taste very sweet, more like regular potatoes.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Rachel Ray's 30 minute show used FROZEN winter squash. . .lucky are those that can find it, I've looked and can't find it. How easy would that be????!!
that's cool
i've seen frozen sliced sweet potatoes, but no winter squash yet
Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I Googled "frozen winter squash" and there was info on a recall of the product. . .Birds Eye, I read. . .so maybe that is why I can't find any!! Ah, shades of fresh spinach.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzzee
WOE: Low carb, IF
Start Date: 4/1/14
I really love the hubbards.

I score them and then use the pointed end to go all the way through.
Lizzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

I bought a sweet dumpling squash and because I'd seen this recipe where you just boil it without having to cut it I tried it and it works! No mallet necessary! Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:
Stuffed Pattypan Squash
Boiled shrimp can be added to this delicious side dish with a Louisiana flair.
Serves: 12

6 medium pattypan squash (or any kind really!)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
4 ribs celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
4 tbls. butter
1 cup crushed pork rinds or rehydrated TVP
Creole seasoning, to taste
Dots of butter

Boil squash in water until just tender. Cool and cut the squash in half. Scoop out inside pulp, discarding seeds and keeping the shells intact. Reserve pulp.
Saute onion, green onions, celery, parsley, and bell pepper in butter until very soft. Add reserved pulp and blend very well. Add about 3/4 cup crushed pork rinds or TVP and Creole seasoning to taste. Stuff mixture into shells. Sprinkle tops lightly with remaining crushed crumbs and dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees at least 1 hour.

Beth
Old 12-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #145
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Anyone thought about trying to grow the delicata squash? They were $1 a pound here and not alot available but I haven't found much on growing conditions yet--sounds like you plant after the last frost but that sounds more like summer squash.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #146

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Anyone thought about trying to grow the delicata squash? They were $1 a pound here and not alot available but I haven't found much on growing conditions yet--sounds like you plant after the last frost but that sounds more like summer squash.
No, thats right Jackie. I have my seeds already and plan to grow them in 2007.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
No, thats right Jackie. I have my seeds already and plan to grow them in 2007.
I used to grow a lot of these squash. You plant them after danger of frost, according to winter squash directions...found in any gardening book or online.

Winter squash are good keepers.

Kevin
You might want to try growing banana squash also, even if only as a curiosity. They are delicious!!

Banana Squash
3/4 cup
Total Carb 7g 2%
Fiber 1g 5%
Sugars 3g
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #148
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'm adding this to my garden list--I'll have to order the seeds but I'm ordering some tomato seeds anyway. We love it.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #149
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Anyone familiar with the Cornell bush Delicata? That would take up less space in the garden (I'm comparing to summer yellow squash which seems to run everywhere) and is suppose to be very high quality but I saw something that said "smaller seed cavity and thicker walls"--I was wondering if that meant the skin would be thicker and harder to peel.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
Anyone familiar with the Cornell bush Delicata? That would take up less space in the garden (I'm comparing to summer yellow squash which seems to run everywhere) and is suppose to be very high quality but I saw something that said "smaller seed cavity and thicker walls"--I was wondering if that meant the skin would be thicker and harder to peel.
Usually bush plants don't yield as well as vine. Vining winter squash, even some of the largest can be grown using a trellis or fence to save space.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote