Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzzee
WOE: Low carb, IF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Thanks Jackieba.
Lizzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
I tried the delicata--the first time I diced it and fried it up with bacon and green onions (I think one of Kevin's recipes?). The second time I nuked them and scooped out the flesh and ate like mashed potatoes.

I loved both of these dishes. However...

A few days ago I got very sick and DH made chicken soup for me. (He's so sweet!) He cut up one of the delicatas and put it in the soup like he would a potato. The first night it was great--super texture and just the right addition to the soup. He put the rest in the fridge. The next day I was too sick to eat anything, but the day after I got out the soup to have for lunch. The broth had turned sort of an orange color, but I didn't mind that so much as I did the texture and taste of the squash. It felt and looked like canned peaches and even seemed to have gotten sweeter. I still ate the soup, but I ended up leaving most of the "peaches" in the bowl. I guess the broth from the soup changed the texture after a day in the fridge.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
DH's family think I'm weird. . .and want to see the carton of anything I bring. . .like Cheesecake Factory. . .because they sure don't want anything healthy. . .
Magnamater, I had to laugh when I read this. My inlaws are EXACTLY the same! I don't even bother to bring desserts any more--I just bring the veges and deviled eggs (but I swear, even though they've been eating my deviled eggs with sugar free relish for years, if I told them about the relish, they'd would immediately turn up their noses!)
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmiller461 View Post
Magnamater, I had to laugh when I read this. My inlaws are EXACTLY the same! I don't even bother to bring desserts any more--I just bring the veges and deviled eggs (but I swear, even though they've been eating my deviled eggs with sugar free relish for years, if I told them about the relish, they'd would immediately turn up their noses!)
Count me in too. My parents think I am from Mars and they will not try anything new.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
ok, i must live under a rock, does anybody from the chicagoland area know where i can purchase any of the first four squash listed. i have seen acorn, butternut, etc. i cannot find these anywhere..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gweninla
Kabocha squash--my favorite! Look in Asian/Japanese groceries in the larger cities.

I grow them from hybrid seed imported from Japan, plus have saved some seeds yearly for about 24 years. The first saved seed was from a grocery store kabocha.

Through the years, some of the plants 'reverted' to the original strain, and are long, eggshaped, with green and orange stripes.

I'm trying to get this one to breed true, it is so pretty and tastes the same as the 'classic' kabocha.

Every other day lately I've been eating winter squash, and still in Ketosis.

BTW...the skins are edible.

Gwen in l.a.
gweninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #97
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
ok, i must live under a rock, does anybody from the chicagoland area know where i can purchase any of the first four squash listed. i have seen acorn, butternut, etc. i cannot find these anywhere..
Hey there .. I found the Delicata and Sweet Dumpling varieties at Whole Foods. They were pretty reasonably priced too, considering "Whole Paycheck"

Didn't have any luck at Jewel or Dominick's, even drove out to Waukegan to the new Super Walmart to try to find 'em .. with no luck. Finally checked at Whole Foods and there they were!!

No luck on the Golden Nugget or Kabocha yet, but the produce guy at Whole Foods said they get different ones in all the time, so I'm going to keep checking back.
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I whipped up some good soup today out of a carnivale squash and part of a butternut squash. I got the idea from Emeril and I just made it up as I went along. I used some bacon grease and sauteed an onion and then added in some chicken and beef broth and cubed up 1/4 of a roasted butternut squash and 1 whole roasted carnivale squash and then just simmered it until it got thick. Very hearty soup. I liked the carnivale better than the butternut squash and I also understand that the carnivale is better for carb counts.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
xcali, thanks so much, i forgot to try whole foods. thanks
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #100
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
xcali, thanks so much, i forgot to try whole foods. thanks
You're quite welcome!! Hope whichever Whole Foods you shop at has 'em.

I made a Squash/Sausage Casserole this weekend. Sunday is my food prep day. I get all my meals for the week cooked on Sunday so I have a bunch of stuff ready for the whole week.

The Squash/Sausage Casserole I made was based on a recipe I found in the forums here. I used Chicken Sausage with spinach and asiago cheese that I bought at TJ's mixed with diced Delicata squash, eggs and shredded Italian blend cheeses. It was AWESOME!!!

I don't know who posted the original recipe, but whoever you are .. Thank you!! Loved it!!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
I don't know who posted the original recipe
You should try it with the crust. It only adds about 1.5 carbs per serving and makes it taste really yummo!

Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage and Delicata Squash Pie
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #102
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Kev!!

It was your recipe!! Thank you!! Next time I make it I'll do it with the crust. For some reason, when I copied the recipe, I mess up and only got the filling part. I completely forgot there was a crust with it.

Awesome recipe.. my new favorite!! Thanks again
Old 11-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Yesterday I went to our local Super Wal-mart and as I was browsing the produce section I came across several winter squash that I had never heard of before. Curious, I pick them up and began reading the label and was a bit shocked to see the carb count. I have never thought of winter sqush being a carb bargain but all of these sqush showed 8 net carbs per cup. Being the inquisitive soul that I am I bought 2 of each of these squash to try. Their names were: Delicata, Sweet Dumpling, Golden Nugget, and Kabocha Squash.
Following are their pictures in the order listed.

Today I made the the first 2 in the list and was amazed at how much both the Sweet Dumpling and the Delicata tasted like potatoes. I cut them in half, scooped out the seed and microwaved them cutside down in 1/4 cup water for about 7 min. on high. Their size made them very easy to cut and both had relatively few amount of seeds.

When done, the pulp scooped right out of the skin and I mashed and buttered them with a fork and could not believe my taste buds. My DW melted a little chedder cheese on top of hers and gave me a taste which was even better.

I have not tried the other 2 yet but when I do I will let you know what they are like.

If you can afford the 8 carbs and you have been wanting something potatoe-like, I recommend that if you see these in the store.......you try 1 or 2 of these squash.
I was just doing some cruising, trying to find more pics and also trying to identify the squashes I have just picked up locally, and ran into this info on the Kabocha. Ouch. I would very much like some detailed and reliable Nutrition Facts on the different squashes, rather than the averages I've been able to find so far...

Quote:
Kabocha has the highest sugar content of any squash.

Sigh. Sorry, don't want to scare anybody, but this one may well be higher in carbs than the ButterCup...

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight
Kabocha Squash
Also known as a Ebisu, Delica, and Hoka, the pumpkin-shaped
Kabocha Squash has a forest green skin with light striations
and often ranges in size from 9 to 12 inches in diameter.
Unlike summer squash (which are picked when immature and skins are tender), Kabocha Squash have hard, thick skins and only
the flesh is eaten. It taste similar between a sweet potato
and pumpkin with a rich sweetness and almost fiber less flesh.
It can be baked, steamed, pureed, braised, chunked, or
smoothed in soups, and baked in puddings, pies, and cakes.
Seasonality: Available year-round.
Selection & Storage: Choose squash that have a hard,
deep-colored rind free of blemishes or moldy spots. Tender
skin indicates immaturity or poor quality. The hard skin
protects the flesh and allows it to store longer than summer
squash. Store Kobocha Squash in a cool, preferably dark,
well-ventilated area for up to one month. Wrap cut pieces in
plastic and refrigerate up to five days.
Preparation: Kobocha Squash may be cooked whole or split
lengthwise (removing seeds). Pierce whole squash in several
places, and bake halved squash hollow side up.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 30 serving size 3/4 cup (85g)
Calories from Fat n/a
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Fiber 1g
Sugars 3g
Protein1g

70%Vitamin A 15%Vitamin C 2%Calcium 2%Iron * Percent
Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
I was just doing some cruising, trying to find more pics and also trying to identify the squashes I have just picked up locally, and ran into this info on the Kabocha. Ouch. I would very much like some detailed and reliable Nutrition Facts on the different squashes, rather than the averages I've been able to find so far...

Sigh. Sorry, don't want to scare anybody, but this one may well be higher in carbs than the ButterCup...

What is the info you ran into Jude? Do you have an address?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

I made this and it was so close to sweet potoes/Yams in looks and taste. The flavor was milder so I just added butter, a little cinnamon and sweetner to mashed squash.
I found mine at Kings Soopers and Walmart. The produce man said they would be around until about the end of January.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BB in MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
I made this and it was so close to sweet potoes/Yams in looks and taste. The flavor was milder so I just added butter, a little cinnamon and sweetner to mashed squash.
I found mine at Kings Soopers and Walmart. The produce man said they would be around until about the end of January.
Midnight, what did you make? Am I missing something

Beth
BB in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB in MN View Post
Midnight, what did you make? Am I missing something

Beth
Oh Sorry about that...The Kabocha Squash
Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like she just cooked it and put butter and cinnamon on it Beth.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
What is the info you ran into Jude? Do you have an address?
Kevin, no competing links here as you know, generally speaking. However, float your mouse over the image in my post, and that's the same website, the image is on the same page with the information...

Oy!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:53 AM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Kevin, no competing links here as you know, generally speaking. However, float your mouse over the image in my post, and that's the same website, the image is on the same page with the information...

Oy!

ok, I went there and did a search of the of that sight and only found that 1 statement but no nutritional info. I will go buy another and scan the nutritional label to show the specifics of what growers are listing with their squashes.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweninla View Post
Kabocha squash--my favorite!
Gwen in l.a.
I love this one too! Because squash are so hard to cut before they're cooked, I got a phillips screw driver and with a hammer hammered in four holes at top of Kabocha (for venting) and put in microwave whole for 8 minutes. I was able to cut it so easily this way after it was cooked! My DH doesn't like any type of squash, so I ate off it for 4 nights myself, cooking it in different ways. I still have one portion left! Shhhh...DH doesn't know I'm using his tools! Thanks, kevenpa for this new squash find!

Beth
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nutrition Facts
Calories 30 serving size 3/4 cup (85g)
Calories from Fat n/a
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Fiber 1g
Sugars 3g
Protein1g
Midnight--where did you find this info? Actually, 6 net grams for 3/4 c isn't bad. I've been eating on my delicata mock sweet potato casserole since Sunday and a 1/2 cup of that is very filling.

And I love the idea of hammering in vent holes and cooking it uncut!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

I didn't get to walmart yet but here is the Delicata label.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

I went to the web site posted on Kevinpa's label and found information on every squash known to man- and woman-kind! I've never seen so many different squashes (squishes?) (squooshes?).

btw, Kevin, I think you need a shave!

Last edited by lcmiller461; 11-16-2006 at 03:20 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmiller461 View Post
I went to the web site posted on Kevinpa's label and found information on every squash known to man- and woman-kind! I've never seen so many different squashes (squishes?) (squooshes?).
So did I. And out of 15 winter squashes listed, 11 had identical Nutritional Info:
  • [COLOR="DarkGreen"]3/4 C raw 85g total weight, 30 cals, 7g total carb, 1g dietary fiber[/COLOR]
which also matched the NF info for generic "winter squash" elsewhere on the web (so far). Those identical winter squashes being: [COLOR="Sienna"][COLOR="Orange"]Australian Blue, Banana, ButterCup, ButterNut, Carnival, Delicata, Golden Nugget, Kabocha, Red Kuri, Sweet Dumpling, Turban[/COLOR][/COLOR]. All of which have varying levels of sweetness.

The only 4 that differed:
  • lower - Mini Pumpkin (white or orange), at 20 cals, 6/2 Carbs/Fiber
  • lower - Spaghetti, at 30 cals, 6/1 Carbs/Fiber
  • lower - Hubbard (blue/orange), at 35 cals, 7/2 Carbs/Fiber
  • higher - Green Acorn, at 35 cals, 9/2 Carbs/Fiber

Call me fussy (or don't ) but I have some issues with that level of identical information. Nutrition Labelling has always been a sort of "by difference" thing, where some basic generic numbers, for carbs, are good enough unless otherwise actually (expensively) lab tested. Even most of the USDA info comes from producers and manufacturers.

Still searching, in my spare time ...

Sigh.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 11-16-2006 at 01:05 PM..
Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Hey, Kevin, I needed your muscle when I was peeling my delicata's this afternoon. . .I know it's easy for you, but NOT for me!

Hey, I'm a weakling!

Two I gave up and Nuked!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

Do you have one of those heavy duty peelers?

They work really slick.

I saw Alton do a thing on peelers a while back and bought the one he suggested and have not had any problem since.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Also, just so you know. The skins of the delicata squash are eatible and quite tasty.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Wish I had a heavy duty peeler. . .mine surely wasn't! Any way to "recommend" a good one? I have a bleeding knuckle from trying to power down, slipping, and rapping it hard. . .

Yes, I'm a wuss!

But I get 'er done!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote