Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
SSin-Deb, I peel the butternut squash with a potato peeler, but it is difficult. I find it easier to hack the squash in half and bake, and then scoop out the flesh once its soft. I believe it would also be ok to prick it well with a knife and then bake or microwave.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Thankyou Strawberry for posting how you peel butternut squash ~ I'll have to give it a try. *▄*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Kevin, thanks a lot for the winter squash info! I bought a Delicata squash and I was planning to tweak something with it. I cut it in half and microwaved it cut side down for 6 minutes. After it cooled, I tasted it. So good! I ate it as is, without salt, pepper, butter, sugar, cinnamon or other fuss. I liked it a lot, very sweet (are you sure this is only 8 c per cup? ), texture is like mashed potatoes and I really didn't feel the need of any "enhancement". My tweak has to wait. Now, these are seasonal, but how do I save them to eat later? Will they freeze well?
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 AM   #64

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I plan on cooking and mashing some and try vacumn sealing it to see how that works. As far as the carbs go I can only go by what the nutrition label states. One other indicator though was that I tested my blood glucose level after eating them several time and had no spikes so I am assuming the carbs are correct as stated.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, mine came without a nutrition label... Today I went to my favourite farm and found organic Delicata squash. I bought 8 of them. Plus a small hubbard squash, which is supposed to be 7 net carbs per 100 g, just to try. I'll try freezing them cooked, see how it goes.

Thanks also for pricking your pinkies for us, too, and sharing the results.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #66
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
SSin-Deb, yes, peel off the peel with a knife, trying to not go too deep. It is a hard peel, but works.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BB in MN
Squash Info

Can I post the address to a web site that only gives information and doesn't sell anything? I do not want to do anything I shouldn't, but I found a good web site on squash and would like to share it if I can??

This is what it said about freezing winter squash:
Winter Squash:

Choose firm, well-shaped squash that are heavy for their size and have a hard, tough skin. Do not choose those that have sunken or moldy spots. Avoid squash with cuts or punctures in the skin. Also, slight variations in skin color do not affect flavor. A tender rind indicates immaturity, which is a sign of poor quality in winter squash varieties.

Wash and cut squash into small pieces, remove seeds and peel. Cook until soft. Mash pulp or put through sieve.

Cool by placing pan containing squash over crushed ice and stir until cool. Place in an appropriate freeze bag, or container, with 1/2" headspace; freeze.

HTH, Beth
BB in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Bfranke ~ ~

A word of warning (ahem!) I used my large Santoku knife tonight to cut a sweet dumpling in half. It caught on part of its stem and actually bent the darn blade. That's never happened to me before.

So - I discovered that with a healthy 'push' - you can pop off the stem. *▄*
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rett
Stats: 238 on 6/3/06 - 02/08/11 204 .goal ..150
WOE: LOW CARb 2006/HCG started 10-25-10
Start Date: HCG 10/25/10
Kevin
I tried the butternut and it was great, I just zapped it in the micro, cleaned the seeds out, put butter in them, zapped again...scooped the sqaush out
and it taste wonderful!!!! thank you thank you.
How about if I cube one of the squash...which one would be good for like a veg soup or stew....would it hold its shape or would they get too soft. Which one would be like potatoes...not mashed but cubed?:????
You are a great friend to this woe...thank you
Rett
rett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rett View Post
Kevin
I tried the butternut and it was great, I just zapped it in the micro, cleaned the seeds out, put butter in them, zapped again...scooped the sqaush out
and it taste wonderful!!!! thank you thank you.
How about if I cube one of the squash...which one would be good for like a veg soup or stew....would it hold its shape or would they get too soft. Which one would be like potatoes...not mashed but cubed?:????
You are a great friend to this woe...thank you
Rett
Rett, Just so you are aware. Butternut is not one of the lower carb winter squash. I actually think it is the highest. The 4 listed in the beginning of this thread are the only ones that are 8 carbs per cup.

Delicata, Sweet Dumpling, Golden Nugget, and Kabocha.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:27 AM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSin-Deb View Post
Thank you Bfranke ~ ~

A word of warning (ahem!) I used my large Santoku knife tonight to cut a sweet dumpling in half. It caught on part of its stem and actually bent the darn blade. That's never happened to me before.

So - I discovered that with a healthy 'push' - you can pop off the stem. *▄*
I broke a Forschner cutting a raw butternut one time

I've been playing with squashes in soups. Pattypan is great if you toss it into hot soup and then stop the cooking process after a minute or two. Choyote is perfect. "Ribbons" of zuchini are fun in chicken broth with scallions, parsley, and leftover chicken or pork. Will try to find delicata or another one for my next batch of chicken soup....any suggestions from among Kevin's new finds?
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Hi emel ~ My Santoku is from Cook's Essentials on QVC. I'll be contacting them today, as it "should be" guaranteed, even for something like this... Doggone it anyway! *▄*
Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #73

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Hope you get a replacement from them, Deb.
I ended up taking the 11 inch serrated Forschner to a machine shop. They drilled holes in the end and reattached the handle with new rivets. So now it is a 7 inch serrated and I love it!
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #74

Gallery: trish6103
Stats: I would tell you but I'd have to kill you.
I got a Sweet Dumpling last night, having it tonight with a roast. I will report back after I taste it.

I have always microwaved squash whole, after piercing in several places. It's too much of a pain to try to hack it in half.
trish6103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
I fixed a sweet dumpling or carnival (forgot which is which) tonight and it was really good. DH loves sweet potatoes so I added a couple of drops of splenda to his and topped with butter and salt. He thought it tasted much like a sweet potato, which he loves. I wanted dessert, so I mixed mine like a custard with splenda and sf maple syrup and microwaved. Sprinkled with chopped pecans and it was quick and fabulous.

Forgot to mention we had this with ham.

Thanks Kevin for all the squash info and pictures!
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #76
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I broke a Forschner cutting a raw butternut one time

I've been playing with squashes in soups. Pattypan is great if you toss it into hot soup and then stop the cooking process after a minute or two. Choyote is perfect. "Ribbons" of zuchini are fun in chicken broth with scallions, parsley, and leftover chicken or pork. Will try to find delicata or another one for my next batch of chicken soup....any suggestions from among Kevin's new finds?
Hi Emel ~ I prefer the sweet dumpling...it tastes the most like potato to me and not so sweet.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #77

Gallery: trish6103
Stats: I would tell you but I'd have to kill you.
I tried the sweet dumpling to me. I really liked it, but I like all squash anyway, so no big surprise there. It had a hint of a honey taste to me. Nothing strong, but it was there. It tasted a lot like acorn squash, but a bit sweeter. I will definitely be adding this to my grocery list. Squash is very nutritious.
trish6103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokath View Post
Thanks for the info. I prepared the Delicata yesterday and wasnt wild about it. I MW'd it and mashed with butter and s & p. I'll give the butternut a try and see if we like that any better.
I think I know why you didn't care about the delicata squash. I bought 8 of them from an organic farm and I baked them all, to freeze. After cutting them in half, big surprise! Some of them were greenish yellow inside, with immature seeds and compact middle. These had no flavour, no taste. Some of them were yellow inside, with big seeds, still compact middle. These were promising, but not quite there. Then there were 2 of them orange inside, with mature seeds attached to stringy stuff and quite hollow middle. These were exquisite. So sweet, smooth, flavourful, better than potatoes anyway . Good to eat without any addition. So, the only problem is to buy the ripe ones. But how do you tell? They looked the same on the outside to me. The only difference is that the ripe ones were slightly bigger, but not much. Will they ripe further if you keep them for a while, you think?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
"There are many different types of winter squash, and each has its own tell-tale signs of maturity. In general, look for a color change on the rind. For example, the butternut squash changes from light beige to deep tan when ripe. Many winter squash will develop an orange blush in spots, such as the Acorn squash, which is deep glossy green with a yellow spot facing the ground. When the yellow spot changes to orange, the fruit is ready to pick.

Spaghetti squash changes from creamy white to bright yellow at maturity. The delicata types, which have green steaks across a white background, are ready when the white changes to beige and a orange blush appears.

You'll probably want to eat the early maturing fruits right away, since it's been such a long wait since last year's crop. But when you're ready to start storing squash for winter use, choose a cool, dark, dry location. Winter squash can be stored from two to six months if kept at about 55 F, depending on the cultivar. "

Also the skin is very very hard and can't be pierced with a finger nail.

If underripe, they will mature/ripen a bit more when kept in a cool dark place.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #81
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
We tried the Sweet Dumpling squash today! Yummmm! I cooked 2 and used one with potato toppings - shredded cheese and sour cream. The other we used like a dessert - butter and cinnamon/splenda mixed and sprinkled on top. Both were delicious!
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Marbel
Stats: 160/getting there/120 5'2"
WOE: Atkins (taking the scenic route)
I found some of these at the market today.

OMG are they good!

I fork-mashed them with butter and cream and made a shepherd's pie. Sprinkled a little shredded cheddar over the top and baked. DELICIOUS!

I saw some of the Golden Nugget variety too. I think I'll pick up one or two. Anybody try them yet? Are they as good as the Sweet Dumpling?
Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone know if a "Calabaza" is the same as a "Sweet Dumpling"?
They look kinda the same (?)

Miami Latino/Spanish type cooking uses Calabaza often... and they sell them here... but it gets translated from Spanish as "pumpkin." But I cant find nutrition info or carb counts, which I would like before I buy any.... and squash appear to vary ALOT in carbs depending which type!

Last edited by Strawberry; 10-27-2006 at 07:30 PM..
Old 10-27-2006, 09:35 PM   #84
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Does anyone know if a "Calabaza" is the same as a "Sweet Dumpling"?
They look kinda the same (?)

Miami Latino/Spanish type cooking uses Calabaza often... and they sell them here... but it gets translated from Spanish as "pumpkin." But I cant find nutrition info or carb counts, which I would like before I buy any.... and squash appear to vary ALOT in carbs depending which type!

http://www.friedas.com/detail.cfm?ID=175

1/2 cup has only 2 carbs and 1 fiber

I'm wondering how they taste--super low carb!!
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG!! I've got to try them now at those carb levels!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #86
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I tried the Sweet Dumpling cooked in the microwave (boy they are hard to cut)--with only butter I thought it was just "okay" but when I added splenda/cinnamon I was impressed. It's my current candidate for sweet potato casserole substitute. It was small and there sure wasn't much squash inside so I'm not sure how many I'll need to get 3 cups mashed. The winter squash was all together in one display so if they weren't marked, I would have a hard time telling some of them apart. Our store finally got some chayote squash too so now I can try LindaSue's "apples".
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:03 AM   #87

Jacki, did you try the delicata? They have a much softer skin and can be peeled with a potato peeler & cubed easily before being cooked. They also have more flesh to them.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:37 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Just a note -- another store has the Sweet Dumplings, but they're much larger than the size carried at Walmart. I've only fixed one of the large ones, so it's hardly conclusive -- but it wasn't nearly as sweet as the smaller ones, plus it was quite stringy too.

I'll try one more of them and if it's the same, I'll return the large ones and exchange for smaller ones.

I'm so grateful Kevin that you posted about these squash! I never would have given them a second glance. *▄*
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizzzee
WOE: Low carb, IF
Start Date: 4/1/14
hi
I love Delicata and other squashes. I throw them in with a roasting chicken.
Doesn't the carb count go up when they are cooked though?

Thanks for the heads up on the Calabaza - Sugarbabi - that is really LC!!
Lizzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 AM   #90
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Kevin,
I haven't tried the Delicata yet. I wanted to try the one closest to potato in flavor first. I do plan to try the Delicata too though.

Lizzzee,
The carb count on the whole squash is the same raw or cooked but , one cup raw is less volume than 1 cup cooked/mashed (it prob takes close to 2 cups raw to get 1 cup cooked/mashed) so if you're comparing cup for cup, the carbs would be higher cooked.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote