Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I make butternut pies because IMHO pumpkin can't even come close to the flavor of butternut. I only make one a year and that is at Thanksgiving.....so I guess you could say this is my Thanksgiving splurge.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
You are entitled. . .and for such a slight indulgence. . .you are to be commended. . .don't even know what I would call my Thanksgiving splurge. . .I just figure if my stuff starts with lc ingredients, on that day, it's game. . .and I'm still here. . .after MANY lc holidays. . .DH's family think I'm weird. . .and want to see the carton of anything I bring. . .like Cheesecake Factory. . .because they sure don't want anything healthy. . .

Too funny. . .I used to be offended, but I'm to a different place now!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks for posting the recipe Kevin. I'll be on the lookout for your updated version later. And .... I'm sure a wonderful picture!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 10-05-2006 at 07:11 AM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
AND, you make butternut pies because they are better! I reread and this is now my working assumption. . .

Correct me if I'm right or wrong. . .

I try to catch up here (LCF) in short periods of time, and it shows. .. .
Kevin, when both are cooked from the fresh (forget about canned pumpkin for the moment), isn't pumpkin more WATERY than Butternut? I had the idea that the difference in moisture content was the reason that pumpkin was more comparable to summer squash than winter in terms of carb count.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
[QUOTE=Kevinpa;7563686]Pumpkin, raw 1 cup of 1" cubes is 7 net carbs 30 cals.
butternut, raw 1 cup of 1" cubes is 13 net carbs 63 cals[/QUOTE

Sorry, Kevin, I quoted the wrong post. (See above.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Kevin, when both are cooked from the fresh (forget about canned pumpkin for the moment), isn't pumpkin more WATERY than Butternut? I had the idea that the difference in moisture content was the reason that pumpkin was more comparable to summer squash than winter in terms of carb count.
Pumpkin has a much softer flesh which I assume has a lot to do with the moisture content, so I am going to guess that is a true statement Creek.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Not to thread-jack here, but Drs. Eades Low Carb Cookworx has been picked up by PBS (according to Dr. Mary's blog) and will be rebroadcast perhaps beginning in February. She also says the accompanying DVD will be available as soon as the producers dub it into that format. VHS tapes are currently available for a few episodes.
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #38
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Kevin...I need to schedule an eye exam, me thinks.

My husband brought home a carnivale squash and the bounty today from Walmart.

SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bhambabe
Stats: R4P3 91 pounds released
WOE: Dr. Simeon's Protocol HHCG
Start Date: Started 7/21/09
Kevin thanks to the recipes I look forward to making them.
Bhambabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Kevin,

Thanks so much for posting this thread. I never would have purchased winter squash before, but I just tried Sweet Dumpling, nuked as you suggested and served with S&P and butter.....delicious!
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #41
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I'll look for these but we don't have a big variety here (never did find chayote squash here). But your mention of Butternut Squash pie has me thinking--I wonder if that would work for my high carb sweet potato casserole? Sweet potatoes are too high in carbs but the squash wouldn't be too bad carb-wise. I have eaten any Butternut squash in years so I don't remember what it tastes like. The casserole ends up tasting kinda like a sweet potato pie without the crust so one dish goes a long way. Any idea how many cups of cooked squash you'd get out of one average size butternut?

Kevin, what is your current sub for evaporated milk?
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #42
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

If anyone has tried the LC clam chowder recipe, could you post it? DH loves clam chowder in the winter but I told him that was "out" cause of all the taters.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
Kevin, what is your current sub for evaporated milk?
Last year I used heavy cream....this year I'm going to use Scotts recipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott123
LC Evaporated Milk

1/4 C. Calcium Caseinate
2 1/2 t. Whey Protein Isolate
1/3 C. minus 1 t. heavy cream
1 C. water
3/16 t. salt
3 T. polyd
1/2 t. Granular Splenda Equivalent

Make a syrup with the polyd and the water- microwave in a glass cup until the polyd is dissolved. Set aside until room temp, add heavy cream. Combine remaining dry ingredients and whisk in a bowl to mix thoroughly. Combine dry with wet and quickly mix to incorporate. This will thicken as the casein hydrates.

Yield: 1 12 oz. can
-----------------------------------

As was reverse engineering this, the numbers look like evaporated milk is just regular milk reduced by 1/2. For those who don't want to go the caseinate route, carb/calorie countdown could probably be reduced by 1/2 to make a good lc evaporated milk. The one thing I would do, though, is reduce it in a very big stainless steel or teflon frying pan to facilitate the fastest possible water evaporation.

It's not a lot of polyd, but just in case you wanted to make this with isomalt, here is an isomalt/thickenthin version (same directions as above):

1/4 C. Calcium Caseinate
2 1/2 t. Whey Protein Isolate
1/3 C. minus 1 t. heavy cream
1 C. water
3/16 t. salt
2 t. Isomalt
3/4 t. thickenthin not/sugar
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I made a mistake when I thought the carb count for butternut squash would be okay, a cup of cooked/mashed is 24 carbs so that's out for us atleast for now. It's much lower than sweet potatoes, but still high.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
SugarBabi.. I think the pictures you posted are "turban" squash
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I've tried all but the Golden Nugget, don't think I've ever even SEEN that one!

My favorite way is baked til tender, halved, scoop out the seeds and gookie stuff, and slather with real butter.

My FAVORITE winter squash though is and probably always WILL be butternut - we had some last week and it was soooooo sweet and good!

Would you mind telling us how you prepare the butternut squash. I bought one yesterday and dont know what to do with it. Thanks...
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: thecheshirekat
WOE: Back to Atkins
Start Date: This restart - 10/1/12
I forgot to mention last night that I bought and tried the delicata squash mashed with butter, a splash of cream, and garlic salt. Very tasty! The texture is stringy, but the taste is really very potato-like. I think next time I might run it through a ricer or food processor if I want it smoother.

Great suggestions!
thecheshirekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #48
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
SugarBabi.. I think the pictures you posted are "turban" squash

Hi there ~ Yes, I posted the turban squash pics on post #26, just so others could see them without having to go and look them up online somewhere. I grew them one year in my garden, but those are pictures I found online. In the picture right above there (#38) with the pumpkin and sweet potato, it's the carnivale squash and a butternut squash--a really big one too, but hubby picked it out. We still haven't eaten it yet. Been pondering over Kevin's recipes to see what I want to make.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 10-13-2006 at 12:45 PM..
Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To those of you who have tried the Sweet Dumpling variety, did you find the squash almost impossible to cut into, as it had a tough outer shell?

Or did I buy too old or too large squashes?

I am currently microwaving them in order to be able to cut, like I do spaghetti squash, hoping that works. . .

Just wondering, as I do my marathon cooking. . .
Old 10-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To report on how microwaving the whole pierced squash works:

I overcooked it, it is a bit mushy--I wanted to cube it for Italian Sausage recipe. But tasty.

I'm contemplating whether to eat it as squash or to add to the sausage. . .hmmmmmmm. . . .good either way. . .
Old 10-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #51
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokath View Post
Would you mind telling us how you prepare the butternut squash. I bought one yesterday and dont know what to do with it. Thanks...
I either nuke it or bake it, depending on whether or not anything else of the meal is going into the oven. Either way, I wash the whole squash first, pierce it in a couple places and making sure to go into the cavity at the bulb end, then cook on High in the MW or at 350 to 375* in the oven - it will depend on the size of the squash but in the oven usually 45 minutes to an hour does it, in the MW it takes maybe 10 minutes or so - but mine is old and 700W so if yours is higher-powered, maybe less. I pierce the neck end with a cooking fork or skewer to test for doneness, it should have little to no resistance.

Then I split it lengthwise, scrape the seeds and "goo" out of the bulb end, cut into portions and slather with butter! DH likes pepper on his too but I just like butter.

If you have leftovers, peel and mash the flesh with some butter and some DaVinci syrup if you like (caramel or butterscotch or even gingerbread or spice flavors are all good!) and reheat.

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #52
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
OH BTW - I baked a Carnival squash that way last night - washed, poked, baked at 375 til done - I wasn't that impressed with it though. I guess since my preference is Butternut - this one just didn't live up to it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #53
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I cut and peel Butternut squash, then boil like you would potatoes. When done, I mash with butter and salt and pepper. My kids would think it was NOT Christmas if I did not serve this! So, I have a couple purchased for the occassion.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
Hi Bfranke ~ Can you tell me how you peel the butternut squash? Cut the peel off with a knife...? Thank ~ *▄*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I either nuke it or bake it, depending on whether or not anything else of the meal is going into the oven. Either way, I wash the whole squash first, pierce it in a couple places and making sure to go into the cavity at the bulb end, then cook on High in the MW or at 350 to 375* in the oven - it will depend on the size of the squash but in the oven usually 45 minutes to an hour does it, in the MW it takes maybe 10 minutes or so - but mine is old and 700W so if yours is higher-powered, maybe less. I pierce the neck end with a cooking fork or skewer to test for doneness, it should have little to no resistance.

Then I split it lengthwise, scrape the seeds and "goo" out of the bulb end, cut into portions and slather with butter! DH likes pepper on his too but I just like butter.

If you have leftovers, peel and mash the flesh with some butter and some DaVinci syrup if you like (caramel or butterscotch or even gingerbread or spice flavors are all good!) and reheat.

Char

Thanks for the info. I prepared the Delicata yesterday and wasnt wild about it. I MW'd it and mashed with butter and s & p. I'll give the butternut a try and see if we like that any better.
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #56
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I noticed that the sweet dumpling and the delicata last a long time in the fridge. I had cut each one of them in half and forgot about them and a week later, they were still good. I was impressed by that as most produce doesn't last very long in my fridge.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight
Kevin, or anyone out there, do you have all the nutritional info from your winter squashs. The labels on mine did not give me any help.I would like to enter it in master cook. I checked USDA data base, just the traditional ones. Nor could I find info on the net. Lots of pictures and growing them but no nutritional info. Thanks
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I have never thought of winter sqush being a carb bargain but all of these sqush showed 8 net carbs per cup. Being the inquisitive soul that I am I bought 2 of each of these squash to try. Their names were: Delicata, Sweet Dumpling, Golden Nugget, and Kabocha Squash.
Some others like butternut are higher.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #59
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I tried the Delicata the other day and loved it. I went and bought 2 each of the sweet dumpling and golden nugget to try in the next few days. Looking forward to trying them. I've never been a squash lover so this is great for me.
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

I like the taste of the sweet dumpling the best ......but it is the most difficult to get the meat out of because of the ribs in surface and a tough skin..

I like the delicata because the skin tender and can be taken off with a peeler then split deseeded and cubed rather easily.