Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   My version of Impossible Coconut Pie (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/449184-my-version-impossible-coconut-pie.html)

Kevinpa 09-15-2006 09:35 PM

My version of Impossible Coconut Pie

4 eggs
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
2 cups Vanilla Almond Breeze
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup polyD
1/4 cup isomalt
1/4 cup granular erythritol
2 T. ThickenThin not/Sugar
1 1/4 cups splenda(whichever form you care to use)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

Combine the almond flour and wpi 5000 together.
Combine the polyD, isomalt, granular erythritol, and ThickenThin not/Sugar together.

Then mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl in the order listed and pour into a lightly coated 10" pie plate.

Bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.
The middle will look soft and a bit gelatinous.
When done it will have a light crust over the top, sides and bottom.
Cool and enjoy a custardy creamy coconut pie.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/DSC00002.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...DSC00018-1.jpg

Bigsky 09-16-2006 04:19 PM

You are amazing!! You really have a knack for cooking-just love your receipes and pictures! Thank you!

Kevinpa 09-17-2006 07:18 AM

I served this to company yesterday and got 2 requests this morning to make more. This pie takes on quite a nice texture once it is chilled. I also thought this bulk mixture of polyD, isomalt, granular erythritol, and ThickenThin not/Sugar worked very well together. I plan to try it in some other recipes.

That Girl 09-17-2006 04:25 PM

omg, that looks like the real deal! just a couple of questions, do you know the carb counts and can you freeze the rest of the almond breeze? tia!

Kevinpa 09-17-2006 04:32 PM

Serves 8
3.5 carbs per slice counting everything.

I have no idea about the freezing, but you can ask them questions at the www.bluediamond.com though.

hth

Kevinpa 02-17-2007 02:03 PM

Thanks Tweaker.....I forgot all about this. I was looking for something coconut to make this week and this will fit the bill perfectly.

magnamater 02-17-2007 02:08 PM

What kind of unsweetened coconut are you using? Dessicated, or package?

Kevinpa 02-17-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 8186468)
What kind of unsweetened coconut are you using? Dessicated, or package?

The kind you get when you click the link above......I use medium mostly.

Tweaker Geek 02-17-2007 04:19 PM

You're welcome Kevin. Always glad to help!:hyst:

crazywoman-n-wy 02-17-2007 04:29 PM

[COLOR=red]Kevin,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Just to clarify things, are you using liquid Splend when you get those carb counts? I get about that when I plug it in with liquid splenda, but get 7 when I put in Splenda Granular.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Sounds good.[/COLOR]

Shevtriz 02-17-2007 04:30 PM

Kevin, have you ever considered being on the Food Network? I remember they had a LC show before but umm that guy has NOTHING on you.......you da man! and Linda Sue you da woman!!!

Kevinpa 02-17-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 8187025)
[COLOR=red]Kevin,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Just to clarify things, are you using liquid Splend when you get those carb counts? I get about that when I plug it in with liquid splenda, but get 7 when I put in Splenda Granular.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Sounds good.[/COLOR]

Yes billie, I never use granular splenda. i just stated it that way because I had been ask alot back then if you could use regular splenda rather than sweetzfree.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-17-2007 05:04 PM

[COLOR=red]I didn't think you usually used it. Just clarifying. Thanks.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I almost always use the liquid too. [/COLOR]

judytab 02-17-2007 10:41 PM

Kevin, can I sub ╝cup Diabetisweet for the isomalt? This really looks good.

Kevinpa 02-17-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judytab (Post 8188180)
Kevin, can I sub ╝cup Diabetisweet for the isomalt? This really looks good.

Yes Judy, that would work .

helper 02-18-2007 09:53 AM

Kevin--

Put your pie together a bit ago--baking as I type--and just wondering what the consistency should be before baking.. Had to use xanthan gum and may have overdone it. Also, please post again the ratio of x-gum to TT/nS or appox. My mix was "gloppy", but tasted o.k.
Thanks, helper
to add--I used a tad more than 1tsp. of x-gum.

Kevinpa 02-18-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helper (Post 8189526)
Put your pie together a bit ago--baking as I type--and just wondering what the consistency should be before baking.. Had to use xanthan gum and may have overdone it. Also, please post again the ratio of x-gum to TT/nS or appox. My mix was "gloppy", but tasted o.k.
Thanks, helper
to add--I used a tad more than 1tsp. of x-gum.

Helper, I have never got the hang of converting Xanthan or guar gums to not/Sugar. I had tried one I found in a post here but it did not work for me.
Just a guess though.....you should be ok with what you used.

From my recollection the consistency was not real loose when I put it in the oven but the middle will look soft and a bit gelatinous when you take it out.

Although you can eat this warm it is best eaten chilled as it firms up when chilled.

HTH

helper 02-18-2007 10:43 AM

Thanks, Kevin. I can say that it sure rose well during baking. Like 1 1/2 " or so. Is this right? I almost think that it was too much x-gum. I'll post back after it cools and is tasted. Sure smells good Thanks for the recipe.
helper

Starwing925 02-18-2007 12:20 PM

Thank you! Coconut is my favorite! I'm going to go make it right now!

helper 02-18-2007 01:02 PM

Starwing--

If you are using one of the gums, be careful. I think next time I will use 1/2 tsp, and not 1tsp. The texture is slightly gummy, even cooled, and has some sort of aftertaste. 1/2 tsp should work o.k.
Good luck, helper

Please post your results whatever you use.

Kevinpa 02-18-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helper (Post 8190291)
If you are using one of the gums, be careful. I think next time I will use 1/2 tsp, and not 1tsp. The texture is slightly gummy, even cooled, and has some sort of aftertaste. 1/2 tsp should work o.k.
Good luck, helper

Please post your results whatever you use.

This is one of the reasons I use not/Sugar. Some people alot smarter than me put much time into that combination of gums. After several failed attemps with other single gums and homemade mixtures and I figure I save money by not wasting ingredients.

theislandgirl 02-19-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 8190338)
This is one of the reasons I use not/Sugar. Some people alot smarter than me put much time into that combination of gums. After several failed attemps with other single gums and homemade mixtures and I figure I save money by not wasting ingredients.

That would be Barbara P., a very smart woman and the original current generation low carber, started before I did, even! Used to be an engineer of some kind and a foodie, started the ExpertFoods line of ThickenThin and WiseCHOice products. Yes, put a LOT of time into engineering these reliable products.

:D

clark153 02-19-2007 05:05 PM

Kevin,

I like your idea for the sugar blend. How many cups of sugar equivalent would you say the isomalt, polyD, erythritol and Splenda mix equals in this recipe?

Thanks for all sharing all your results with us.

Kevinpa 02-19-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clark153 (Post 8196596)
Kevin,

I like your idea for the sugar blend. How many cups of sugar equivalent would you say the isomalt, polyD, erythritol and Splenda mix equals in this recipe?

Thanks for all sharing all your results with us.

Approx 2 cups Clark. But remember that the not/Sugar is also an important part of that mix.

CreekWatcher 02-20-2007 01:11 PM

Kevin, do you think Not/Starch would substitute well for Not/Sugar?

Kevinpa 02-20-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreekWatcher (Post 8201445)
Kevin, do you think Not/Starch would substitute well for Not/Sugar?

Yes Creek, I do it all the time....measure for measure.

CreekWatcher 02-21-2007 01:49 PM

Thanks, Kevin, that's good news

parrotchic 02-21-2007 02:00 PM

:cool: Kevin, I made your Coconut Pie today and of course had to have some while it was warm. I have to tell ya this is really great I also put LindaSue's CheeseCake Pudding on the top of it and it was fab! Thanks for the recipe.

Starwing925 02-21-2007 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all, I screwed up when I made this pie! I accidently put the erythritol in twice instead of using any of the isomalt. It ended up baking very nicely but it tasted like candy instead of pie! I am sure that my mistake caused this! It was way too sweet to eat by itself so I decided to make "candy" out of it. I divided the pie into 4ths and then added different ingredients to make a few different flavors. I added some banana low carb shake mix, orange kool-aid powder, fruit punch kool-aid powder, and to the 4th batch I just added more unsweetened coconut. I rolled the mixtures into small balls and put them in the freezer. Then I melted a package of Eat Well Be Well chips and rolls the frozen balls in the melted chocolate. They are very yummy! So all was not lost. I am going to store them in the freezer and have candy on hand for some time to come! I took a picture so you could see what my "mistake" turned out to be. I am going to try and not screw up next time!
Melody

That Girl 02-21-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starwing925 (Post 8209263)
First of all, I screwed up when I made this pie! I accidently put the erythritol in twice instead of using any of the isomalt. It ended up baking very nicely but it tasted like candy instead of pie! I am sure that my mistake caused this! It was way too sweet to eat by itself so I decided to make "candy" out of it. I divided the pie into 4ths and then added different ingredients to make a few different flavors. I added some banana low carb shake mix, orange kool-aid powder, fruit punch kool-aid powder, and to the 4th batch I just added more unsweetened coconut. I rolled the mixtures into small balls and put them in the freezer. Then I melted a package of Eat Well Be Well chips and rolls the frozen balls in the melted chocolate. They are very yummy! So all was not lost. I am going to store them in the freezer and have candy on hand for some time to come! I took a picture so you could see what my "mistake" turned out to be. I am going to try and not screw up next time!
Melody

hey, those look like coconut bon bons! good job!:notwrthy: