Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Simple LC Chocolate Candy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/447477-simple-lc-chocolate-candy.html)

Kevinpa 09-06-2006 01:06 PM

Simple LC Chocolate Candy
 
Chocolate is always a favorite around my house and I am always looking for a fairly low carb snack that carries a fairly big chocolate bite.

This morning I tried the following confectionary and was quite please with how it turned out.

1 oz paraffin wax
2 oz unsweetened nestles chocolate(i used the pre-melted kind)
(1 cup equivilent) liquid splenda
3/4 cup chocolate Designer Whey Powder
1 t. vanilla
1 stick butter(softened)
chopped pecans (optional)

In a mixing bowl combine butter, chocolate, Designer Whey Powder, vanilla, and sweetener and set aside till wax is melted.

In a double boiler melt wax till in a liquid form.

Wisk in chocolate mixture till well combined and remove from heat.

Add nuts if desired and then spoon the mixture into mini muffin tins( the ones about the size of quarters)

Cool to set (you can speed this up with 10 min in freezer) and candies will pop right out of the tins.

Makes about 24 candies.
Total carbs around 14 for all 24.


Quite easy and tasty for less than a carb each.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/fb549db1.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/e83085d7.jpg

Zib 09-06-2006 01:53 PM

I like that you've added protein powder. I think it's always good to get a little protein with your treat! Eases any guilt I may feel. :D

Charski 09-06-2006 03:51 PM

Mmmm, I'm tempted to try that with my coconut oil in place of the paraffin - that way I get a COUPLE good things into me with my chocolate fix!

I bet it would set up fine in the fridge and still pop right out of the pan....

Kevinpa 09-06-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 7438548)
Mmmm, I'm tempted to try that with my coconut oil in place of the paraffin - that way I get a COUPLE good things into me with my chocolate fix!

I bet it would set up fine in the fridge and still pop right out of the pan....


If you are going to omit the wax you might also want to cut back on the butter since you will be adding more fat with the coconut oil. Otherwise they will be a melty mess I would think.

SugarBabi 09-06-2006 05:49 PM

Mmmmmm.....Don't stop torturing me....:rofl:

Those are so cute! Thanks for the recipe.

I'd like to use coconut oil also. I found some coconut bark that was hiding in the fridge the other day and I ate a piece and it's still good. I know it's been in there at least 3 months. Does your refrigerator hide things from you? Mine has a real bad habit of doing that. :D

Charski 09-07-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7438576)
If you are going to omit the wax you might also want to cut back on the butter since you will be adding more fat with the coconut oil. Otherwise they will be a melty mess I would think.

CUT BACK ON BUTTER?!!! Perish the thought! :laugh: I'd just eat 'em right out of the fridge!

Sugar, my fridge hides EVERYTHING - I find stuff in there I'd rather not know existed! :rofl:

Lehgrad 09-07-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7437936)
Chocolate is always a favorite around my house and I am always looking for a fairly low carb snack that carries a fairly big chocolate bite.

This morning I tried the following confectionary and was quite please with how it turned out.

1 oz paraffin wax
2 oz unsweetened nestles chocolate(i used the pre-melted kind)
(1 cup equivilent) liquid splenda
3/4 cup chocolate Designer Whey Powder
1 t. vanilla
1 stick butter(softened)
chopped pecans (optional)

In a mixing bowl combine butter, chocolate, Designer Whey Powder, vanilla, and sweetener and set aside till wax is melted.

In a double boiler melt wax till in a liquid form.

Wisk in chocolate mixture till well combined and remove from heat.

Add nuts if desired and then spoon the mixture into mini muffin tins( the ones about the size of quarters)

Cool to set (you can speed this up with 10 min in freezer) and candies will pop right out of the tins.

Makes about 24 candies.
Total carbs around 14 for all 24.


Quite easy and tasty for less than a carb each.

Paraffin Wax? I didn't know that stuff was edible! I love your recipes, but I never have the ingredients and I can't afford them anyways:p You must have a big kitchen! Can you just come over and cook for me?

Mel78 09-07-2006 05:37 PM

Does this have any of the bitter taste that some chocolate/splenda treats do? (just curious) :dunno:

Kevinpa 09-07-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel78 (Post 7443405)
Does this have any of the bitter taste that some chocolate/splenda treats do? (just curious) :dunno:


I never know how to respond to a question like that other than making a couple of comments. First if I made something and I thought it tasted bitter I would most definitely not post it here or anywhere else and since everybodys tastes are a little different, if you normally find chocolate/splenda treats bitter to your taste then you might want to sub some sweetener you find more palatable. I made this as a simple chocolate treat that was very low carbs and not filled with s/a.

Mel78 09-07-2006 06:15 PM

Thanks Kevin :cool:. You are so right! It is more of a personal thing, and as easy as that recipe is, I'll just have to give it a try!!! :up: Sounds (and looks) delish!!! Thanks again!!!

NotoSugar 09-08-2006 01:10 PM

Thanks. This looks like a great treat! I need some S/F Chocolate to get through the next month-and-a-half of Halloween Chocolate at every turn in every store.

Kevinpa 09-08-2006 02:06 PM

BTW, these freeze very nicely in a freezer ziplock I found out after trying it.

SugarBabi 09-08-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7447277)
BTW, these freeze very nicely in a freezer ziplock I found out after trying it.

That's good to know. Kevin, are your brownies (the cake-like ones) freezable as well?

I try to freeze things in individual servings to help me stay out of them. :)

Kevinpa 09-08-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarBabi (Post 7447478)
Kevin, are your brownies (the cake-like ones) freezable as well?

Yes, and as a matter of fact that is the way my DW likes them the best.....right out of the freezer like a frozen treat.

LauraFL 09-08-2006 04:19 PM

Kevin, does it have to be "Designer Whey" or can it be any whey protein powder? Is Designer Whey formulated differently than the other stuff, therefore effecting the outcome of recipes?

Also, what is the parafin wax for? What does it do in the chocolate? I'm wondering if there are any substitutions for it, and if so, what? My local cake store has candy molds very cheap, like $2.19 per mold, so your recipe would be fun to try in the molds! :up:

I've tried to find that pre melted chocolate at the local grocery stores and they don't have it. My online search has gone screwy too, so I guess I'll just use my Eat Well Be Well chocolate chips in recipes.

Thanks Kevin. Your recipes RAWK!:up:

Kevinpa 09-08-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender
Kevin, does it have to be "Designer Whey" or can it be any whey protein powder? Is Designer Whey formulated differently than the other stuff, therefore effecting the outcome of recipes?

"Designer Whey" is just the kind I have. I have heard it said it is better than others but since I am not a whey expert i really don't know. I doubt if it would hurt the recipe if you used another brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender
Also, what is the parafin wax for? What does it do in the chocolate? I'm wondering if there are any substitutions for it

Mostly parafin wax is to keep them from melting in your hand but it is used also to help set the chocolate. you can get the paraffin at any grocery store in the canning area and it is quite inexpensive. Almost all chocolates that you buy have some amounts of wax in them. I know of no substitutions so if you don't mind messy hands from melted chocolate you could omit it. It also will take longer to set without it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender
I've tried to find that pre melted chocolate at the local grocery stores and they don't have it. My online search has gone screwy too, so I guess I'll just use my Eat Well Be Well chocolate chips in recipes.

Just remember to adjust your sweetener since your chips are already sweetened and the "Nestle pre-melted unsweetened chocolate" is not.

dizneegirl 09-09-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender (Post 7447845)
I've tried to find that pre melted chocolate at the local grocery stores and they don't have it. My online search has gone screwy too, so I guess I'll just use my Eat Well Be Well chocolate chips in recipes.

You can use standard unsweetened/baking chocolate bars, too, and just melt it yourself. :)

Strawberry 09-09-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

not filled with s/a.
:clap:
Those of us with sensitive tummies thank you immensely for this!!!
Great job, Kevin!! And protein to boot!

pooticus 09-10-2006 06:24 AM

note that cooking paraffin is different than the paraffin u buy in craft stores!

24Fan 09-10-2006 09:02 AM

Those are looking good right now, thanks Kevin! I have all the ingredients so will try this recipe my next day off.

helper 09-10-2006 01:32 PM

Just a wunderin'--
 
Can you melt the parafin in the mic as you do chocolate. Will it be apt to flame up?
Thanks, helper

Kevinpa 09-10-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helper (Post 7453477)
Can you melt the parafin in the mic as you do chocolate. Will it be apt to flame up?
Thanks, helper

I never tried it but I did google it to see if I found any hits and most said not to microwave due to the chance of fire because the ignite temp of wax is fairly low.

A small sauce pan with an inch of water and a small glass mixing bowl on top works and only takes about 5 mins to melt the 1 oz of paraffin.

LauraFL 09-10-2006 04:53 PM

Thanks Kev. As usual you are so very helpful. :hugs: I'm glad you mentioned how to melt the parafin wax. I would've probably been melting it directly in the pan. I'm such a novice. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizneegirl (Post 7450688)
You can use standard unsweetened/baking chocolate bars, too, and just melt it yourself. :)

Thank you dizneegirl. :) Do you mean like Baker's brand? (Those big chunk baking squares?) I find them so incredibly bitter even if I add a ton of Splenda. They don't bother you?

Kevinpa 09-10-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender
I find them so incredibly bitter even if I add a ton of Splenda. They don't bother you?

Laura, it is unsweetened chocolate....it is supposed to be bitter. Nestles is unsweetened and just as bitter.

That is the puropse of the sweetener in the recipe when you are using it.

SugarBabi 09-10-2006 06:39 PM

Here is a picture if this might help anyone. This is the same as the unsweetened squares, it's just melted for you. Saves you time.

http://www.lizzieb.biz/ftp/Food%20Pi...0chocolate.jpg

If you go to the nestle's website, they have a store locator. You just put in your zip code and it will show you stores that carry it.

sungoddess 09-10-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender (Post 7453983)
Thanks SUN!! I looked it up and actually found it! (I'm google challenged. :laugh: ) Don't wanna be negative, but I must be honest, if it's the store I'm thinking of I'm definitely not liking their shipping policy. It's $9.95 for standard shipping even if you only order 1 bar. :eek: At $3.09 a bar it's a good price but I don't think the shipping makes it worth it, because if you order too much and can't use it quickly enough it'll just go stale right? Does anyone know how long you can keep chocolate? (This may make the difference for me going this route.) And forget about the refrigerator, as mine is stuffed to the gills and that is NOT old stuff, but mostly cooking ingredients and fresh fruits and veges. My freezer is stuffed too or I could easily store it there for a long time.

I also noticed an 8 oz. bar turned to 12 oz. when it came to "shipping weight". WHAZZUP WITH THAT?! :confused: (They say they DO NOT count their shipping materials like the box or materials used to secure your product.) :eek:


I am confused as to what bar you are talking about. I was referring to the premelted Nestle chocolate in the box, but I agree about shippping. No one is like Netrition when it comes to shipping!!! Maybe someone can ship you a few boxes if you pay them shipping. I would offer, but I can't find the stuff myself!! hahahaha

dizneegirl 09-11-2006 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender (Post 7454041)
Do you mean like Baker's brand? (Those big chunk baking squares?)

Same thing... Baker's, Nestle, Ghiradelli, etc., unsweetened chocolate... the product Kevin is using is just the Nestle's Brand, and they've premelted it, instead of selling it in the bar. No sweetner added. VERY bitter. ;)

LauraFL 09-11-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 7454499)
I am confused as to what bar you are talking about. I was referring to the premelted Nestle chocolate in the box,

Ok. But I did the search as you suggested, and the only thing available was an unsweetened chocolate baking bar. I would've been fine with that, but yeah, shipping sucks!

If they had the Premelted there before then Kevin must of snuck in and ordered it right from under me! :hyst: HE STOLE MY PREMELTED CHOCOLATE!! :laugh: :hyst:

Thanks Dizneegirl, SugarBabi and Kevin for your help. I'll just use my bitter ol' Baker's squares if they're the same as the Nestle's. :)

sunnysider 09-11-2006 12:11 PM

Just wondering if it has to be "liquid" splenda (which can't be found anywhere these days it seems) or can you use regular powder type splenda from the box? TIA :)

Kevinpa 09-11-2006 12:36 PM

sunnysider, liquid splenda is my choice because it has no carbs but (1 cup equivilent) of any sweetener would work. Just be sure to count the extra carbs for the particular sweetener that you are using.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 PM.