Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
Where do you get parafin?
I usually find it in the grocery store around the canning supplies.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebLyn
Stats: 220/152/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: mid-January 2004
What type of sweetener are you all using for these as the liquid splenda? I've never used any liquid sweetener, only the powdered splenda, should I just use one of the quick packs and try it? or should I look for some liquid type to buy?

Also, for the peanut butter version, if I don't have peanut butter davincis could I sub white chocolate or vanilla which wouldn't give as much peanut butter flavor but do you think it would taste ok?
DebLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #63
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I have not made this, DebLyn, but I see no reason why the Splenda Quick Packs would not work. As for the Peanut Butter DaVinci, I wondered the same thing...seems like it might be missing flavor. What about hazel nut or almond DaVinci? I even wondered about using more peanut butter, to get the PB flavor.
HTH,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLyn View Post
What type of sweetener are you all using for these as the liquid splenda? I've never used any liquid sweetener, only the powdered splenda, should I just use one of the quick packs and try it? or should I look for some liquid type to buy?

Also, for the peanut butter version, if I don't have peanut butter davincis could I sub white chocolate or vanilla which wouldn't give as much peanut butter flavor but do you think it would taste ok?
Deb, the recipe calls for 1 cup sweetener equivilent for a few reasons. The most important reason it is listed this way is to let people know that this recipe is not relying on the the sweetener for texture. When I say I used liquid splenda that is meant to tell people that I used the lowest carb sweetener that I had and my carb counts were based on that. Any form of splenda or sweetener could be subbed.....BUT you must adjust te carb count for your sub.

When you don't have a flavor item a recipe calls for that is time that you have to make a decision as to wether you think it will work for your taste. To me a white chocolate sub here sounds like smething I would not like.....BUT that is me....it doesnt mean you won't. I guess what I am trying to say is when you ask if a flavor sub will work that is really a personal tweaking question and any answer will not necessarily match your taste. Rule of thumb is if the taste sounds good to you it most likely will work.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebLyn
Stats: 220/152/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: mid-January 2004
TY for the replies. I plan to try the chocolate ones first. For sweeteners, is fiberfit something I could use in this recipe if I decided to try it? I need to place an order with Netrition anyway and I could get a bottle of that.

I like peanut butter but not a real strong flavor of it so I will try it with some of my other davincis.

I have to go shopping now so I can whip these up.

I just thought of this too, (sorry if I'm being a pest LOL). Would adding in extract be a problem with them setting up? Cherry extract in the chocolate might be pretty good...I love chocolate covered cherries.

TY for the recipe Kevin!

Last edited by DebLyn; 12-15-2006 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Another thought
DebLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Bumping for more Christmas Candy Treats!!

HUGS!
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
bumpitybumpbump
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kbrookn
WOE: Atkins
Okay. I've always wanted to try your recipes, Kevin, but never got a chance. Until now. This was so amazingly good. I just loved it. Even my husband loved them, and couldn't quit eating them. I accidentally used powdered Splenda before I realized I should have used the liquid, and it turned out great.

Thanks!! I will be making this often. So easy too.
kbrookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Peanutbutter Pecan Praline Clusters

Kevin, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

These got me through Christmas without cheating. (Okay, one planned splurge.)

I didn't have any Peanutbutter Da Vinci's, but I did have a nice new bottle of Praline I was dying to try, so I used that in the peanut butter recipe. Also slipped and used twice as many pecans, so they came out more like clusters than patties. But they are gooooooooood!!!! Better than any store-bought SF candy I've EVER had!! Just as good as the sugarful stuff!!

And I will be trying all of your other recipes as soon as my Netrition order gets here. (They should give you a commission!!)

Cheers!
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Can't believe how old this thread is and I haven't tried it yet. Was looking for the wax at Safeway and found parafan wax but it didn't list using in candy making as a use (did use for sealing for canning), so, would this be the right wax?

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLynnB View Post
Can't believe how old this thread is and I haven't tried it yet. Was looking for the wax at Safeway and found parafan wax but it didn't list using in candy making as a use (did use for sealing for canning), so, would this be the right wax?

Sheryl
yes thats it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Thanks, Kevinpa

Off to buy some wax and make some chocolates tonight.

your granddaughter is adorable. Love the way you keep updating her picture. So fun to watch the little ones growup.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
KevinPa,
These look great! I just ran across this thread myself. Anyway, my question is about the liquid sweetener. I don't have it and I noticed that it is only 1/4 TEASPOON . If I used 1 CUP of sweetener the additional volume would most likely change the consistency.
I have never seen the liquid splenda but I think I can still find liquid saccharin (haven't looked for a while though, hope it still exists). Would this work as a sub?
Thanks!!
J
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
KevinPa,
These look great! I just ran across this thread myself. Anyway, my question is about the liquid sweetener. I don't have it and I noticed that it is only 1/4 TEASPOON . If I used 1 CUP of sweetener the additional volume would most likely change the consistency.
I have never seen the liquid splenda but I think I can still find liquid saccharin (haven't looked for a while though, hope it still exists). Would this work as a sub?
Thanks!!
J
I would not worry about using another sweetener changing the consistency enough to matter for these.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Thanks! I will try to find the liquid sweetener today and try these. I know I have seen liquid stevia in health food stores but I have been afraid to try it since most stevia tastes very bitter to me.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote