Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Sneak Preview (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/445485-sneak-preview.html)

Kevinpa 08-25-2006 01:22 PM

Sneak Preview

Today I started what I am figuring will be about a week of LC bread experiments and hope to come up with a couple of viable recipe from my efforts.

Anyway, after the first day I offer a [COLOR=Sienna]sneak preview of a 2.5 Carb Yeast BunKit.[/COLOR]

As soon as I prove it a solid recipe I will share it with you guys.

BTW a Bunkit is a cross between a bun, a dinner roll, and a biscuit.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/1c25f947.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/6c114cc5.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/66c651ef.jpg

CarolynF 08-25-2006 02:11 PM

Kevin..You are such a tease!!!

Maggy 08-25-2006 02:46 PM

Kevin, can't wait to get this recipe....just posted looking for a good dinner roll...Fall is approaching, and so is my big Sunday dinners, (with no potatoes of course)..but a roll/bisuit on the side will complete my meal. :up: You are so generous to share your recipes with us:heart:

mamagiff 08-25-2006 05:01 PM

Wow! Almost makes me want to bake!

sungoddess 08-25-2006 06:09 PM

Hurry hurry, can't wait!! ;)

Buffy45 08-25-2006 07:30 PM

Ok, I am having a vision, those split in half, toasted, swimming in butter with a teaspoon of sugar free jam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,arrrrgggghhhh, I am in LOVE!

SLynnB 08-25-2006 09:06 PM

Looking forward to the end result of your week-long experimenting. From the pictures, I'd say you are well on the way to success.

Must admit when you stated bunkit, I was thinking your were going to go into business selling a packaged item. LOL.

Sheryl

Strawberry 08-25-2006 09:12 PM

DROOOOOOOL.... OMG, those look awesome!

I want one, warm from the oven, with honey butter!!

Care to tease us more, and tell us how they taste? :)

And yeah.. I wish Kevin would go into business and sell these as a package item! My order would be on the way already!

Kevinpa 08-25-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry
Care to tease us more, and tell us how they taste?

You know Strawberry I don't think I have ever had such a difficult time discribing something that I made.

When they first came out of the oven the outside reminded me of a bun, soft pliable with a moist biscuit like center. I tried it warm with butter and homemade sf blueberry jam and though whoa, this is too good for 2.5 carbs.

4 people tried them warm and gave me the thumbs up.

Funny thing though, as they cooled, they changed from a bun/biscuit to a roll/biscuit. The outside took on a crust while the inside stayed a moist biscuit texture. But once again it seemed the perfect delivery system for the butter and jam almost seeming dessert-like in a crusty shortcake sort of way.

How was that for a tease? :D ;)

I am all set up to make them again in the morning and if the results are close enough to what I got today I will concider sharing the recipe before I make them a third time.

Bfranke 08-26-2006 05:27 AM

Ok, Kevin, I should have plum jam this afternoon.......just need that roll to put it on! Looking good.
Bette

Yummy's_Girl 08-26-2006 05:43 AM

These look great! I am looking forward to your posted recipe!

jokath 08-26-2006 08:01 AM

waiting...waiting...waiting.... :dunno:

CarolynF 08-26-2006 08:45 AM

Yes, Kevin...I'm thinking "English Muffin"...my absolute favorite thing in the whole wide world..that I used to eat...

I'm at the library..had a storm and our computer is down..so will wait patiently for your
recipe....

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokath
waiting...waiting...waiting.... :dunno:

:laugh: Hey! I've been baking all morning and have made 6 dozen dinner rolls so far. :stars:

I will have 2 recipes for you later this afternoon as soon as I eat lunch and put this all down in my cooking journal while its fresh in my mind. Well actually its 1 recipe with 2 different variation. The process is the same though.

Here was the end result of variation 2.

Be back in an hour or 2 with recipe.......

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/9dfbe7d7.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/9ce0be2a.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/ce99ff9b.jpg

gotogirl 08-26-2006 09:23 AM

Please, please, please! No more teasing!

Ma Bailey 08-26-2006 10:11 AM

Those Lil Bunkits ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! >^.,.^<

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 10:22 AM

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]As promised:[/COLOR]

BunKit #1
Yield 2 dozen
2.5 carbs

1 1/2 c. almond flour
1 1/2 c. wheat protein isolate 5000
1 c. carbalose flour
1/2 c. resistant wheat starch

1/4 c. polyD plus

2 envelopes rapid rise yeast

1 t. salt

3/4 c. half and half
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. water

1/3 c. butter softened

2 large eggs

cooking spray

Combine almond flour, wheat protein isolate 5000, carbalose flour, resistant wheat starch and sift into a mixing bowl.

Then combine 1 cup flour mix, polyD, yeast, and salt in large electric mixing bowl.
Heat half and half, heavy cream, and water over medium heat till temperture is 120 to 130F.
Add heated dairy mix and butter and beat 2 minutes at medium speed scraping bowl occasionally.
Then add 1 egg and 1 cup flour mix and beat an additional 2 minutes at medium speed.
Then gradually add the remaining flour mix to form a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl while mixing for 3 more minutes.

Turn dough out onto counter and spray top of dough with cooking spray and cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.

Remove dough from plastic wrap and punch dough down then divide into 24 equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball and place on baking sheet.
Spray tops of rolls with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap.

Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.

Beat remaining egg; brush on rolls.
Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy! :)

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 10:24 AM

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]As promised:[/COLOR]

BunKit #2
Yield 2 dozen
3.5 carbs

3/4 c. almond flour
3/4 c. wheat protein isolate 5000
2 1/2 c. carbalose flour
1/2 c. resistant wheat starch

1/4 c. polyD plus

2 envelopes rapid rise yeast

1 t. salt

3/4 c. half and half
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. water

1/3 c. butter softened

2 large eggs

cooking spray

Combine almond flour, wheat protein isolate 5000, carbalose flour, resistant wheat starch and sift into a mixing bowl.

Then combine 1 cup flour mix, polyD, yeast, and salt in large electric mixing bowl.
Heat half and half, heavy cream, and water over medium heat till temperture is 120 to 130F.
Add heated dairy mix and butter and beat 2 minutes at medium speed scraping bowl occasionally.
Then add 1 egg and 1 cup flour mix and beat an additional 2 minutes at medium speed.
Then gradually add the remaining flour mix to form a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl while mixing for 3 more minutes.

Turn dough out onto counter and spray top of dough with cooking spray and cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.

Remove dough from plastic wrap and punch dough down then divide into 24 equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball and place on baking sheet.
Spray tops of rolls with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap.

Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.

Beat remaining egg; brush on rolls.
Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy! :)

CarolynF 08-26-2006 10:38 AM

Thanks a bunch, Kevin..

Okay: What is the difference between Bunkit #1 and his little brother Bunkit #2?
Taste, texture, etc??

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF
Thanks a bunch, Kevin..

Okay: What is the difference between Bunkit #1 and his little brother Bunkit #2?
Taste, texture, etc??

Yes taste and texture.

#1 having more almond flour will remind you more of a smooth biscuit and slightly sweeter than #2

#2 while still being slighly biscuity will remind you more of a traditional dinner roll.

My testers had great difficulty picking a favorite.

Anyway....I'm done baking for today :laugh:

shadowzip 08-26-2006 10:44 AM

whoops already asked and answered :)

CarolynF 08-26-2006 10:55 AM

Thanks..now go take a break, Kevin..

Bfranke 08-26-2006 11:02 AM

Kevin, you said you had a week of experimenting. What other spins are you planning?
Thanks,
Bette

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 11:07 AM

Two things I know I am going to tackle for sure is hamburger buns and Croissants. I'm not sure what days though. Then if I have time it will be non bread maker bread.

sungoddess 08-26-2006 11:08 AM

Oh Kevin, You are my hero. I need to make these but have regular PolyD and not PolyD plus. Does that mean I need to add some sweetener? If so, do you have a clue how much? I have liquid and powder Fiberfit, Splenda, xylitol and E. These are JUST what I need. Thanks so much.

Tweaker Geek 08-26-2006 11:08 AM

Both versions look just delicious, Kevin! I can almost smell them coming out of the oven. :laugh:

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess
Oh Kevin, You are my hero. I need to make these but have regular PolyD and not PolyD plus. Does that mean I need to add some sweetener? If so, do you have a clue how much? I have liquid and powder Fiberfit, Splenda, xylitol and E. These are JUST what I need. Thanks so much.

The polyD plus I have is older and they did not make it that sweet then.....I understand they since have made it sweeter.......anyway if you add any I would not add much.......maybe equivalent to 1 or 2 T splenda....tops.

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 11:37 AM

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Baking Note:[/COLOR]

PolyD is necessary to the success of these recipes. The yeast needs the polyD to feed on.

An observation: during the rising step not all rolls doubled in size. it varied from roll to roll.......But not to worry as even the few rolls that didn't rise as much had the same taste and texture.

Bfranke 08-26-2006 12:17 PM

OH, CROISSANTS. I will be waiting on these!
Thanks,
Bette

SugarBabi 08-26-2006 12:27 PM

Nice looking breads, Kevinpa. Thank you for sharing the recipe. :clap: