Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Coconut Maccaroonie Muffins with a SF Peach Jam Suprise (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/445090-coconut-maccaroonie-muffins-sf-peach-jam-suprise.html)

Kevinpa 08-23-2006 11:00 AM

Coconut Maccaroonie Muffins with a SF Peach Jam Suprise

I had some fresh peaches from my orchard and decide to make some SF peach Jam.

I started out with 6 to 8 cup of sliced skined peaches and 3 T. lemon juice and cooked them down over medium heat in an enameled pot till they were about 3/4 reduced. Halfway through the process and then again near the end I added 1 T. thicken thin/not sugar mixed with cool water each time and then sweetened with sweetzfree to taste. the results was about 1 1/2 pints of peach jam.

Very yummy and very spreadable.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/pj17.jpg

I then took a muffin recipe I made last April.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinpa back in April
How about some Saturday morning coconut muffins? Light moist and maccaroonie.

1 cup egg whites (approx 8 large eggs)
1 Tablespoon PolyD plus (I didn't have any of the unsweetened PolyD)
3/4 cup sweetener equivalent
1/4 cup almond flour
5 oz. Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (1 3/4 cup to 2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, PolyD, sweetener, and vanilla till stiff.
Fold in almond flour and coconut.
Spoon batter into 6 sprayed large muffin tins.

Bake in a preheated 300 oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm.

I started watching at 15 minutes and removed mine at about 18 min.

The toothpick came out clean but was moist.

3.25 carbs each.

Next time I make these I am going to layer a suprise in the midle like chocolate or pudding or fruit.

Coconut Maccaroonie Muffins with a SF Peach Jam Suprise

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../cmmwsfpjs.jpg

BTW, although this coconut made this batch of muffins dry, I made a chocolate truffle suprise for the middle that was heavenly.

I made enough for 2 batches of the large muffins.

3 oz pre-melted nestles unsweetened chocolate
1 c. equivilent sweetener(I used a mix of liquid splenda and erythritol)
1 T. polyD
1/3 c heavy cream

Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl then cover with plastic wrap and put in freezer for 45 min to 1 hour to set.

When set roll into balls and use to put in the center of your muffins.

Makes 12- 1 inch truffles.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/f5682471.jpg

decodiana 08-23-2006 12:56 PM

OMG...I'm swooning!

magnamater 08-23-2006 03:31 PM

Dang you, Kevin, I'm gonna have to quit looking at your posts, as I'm now taking off the lbs. I've put on with TOO MANY LC TREATS! and 10 lbs of the dang lbs. 6 are gone forever, but 4 more, plus the 11 till goal, and I CAN'T BAKE until then, because I've been a bad bad girl. I can do this! But I may have to quit coming here. . .

No, I'm now back in strong ketosis, and I can do it. Did a Kimmers to get there too!

parrotchic 08-23-2006 06:33 PM

Those look like little stuffed angel food cakes. Boy I have all the ingreds. can't wait to make them.
Kevin I have to confess it's nice to see a recipe with out the Isolates, carbquick or the carbalose. I know you all have great luck with those things but they make me so sick to my stomach for some reason. Not to mention I can't stand the taste. So when ever you post something I have to tweek it to another type of bake mix. Thanks for sharing and your creativeness with us here at LC Friends.

Ceze 08-24-2006 08:42 AM

Those look wonderful. I can't wait to try them when I have time to make the filling. Last night I just took the muffin recipe and added one chopped up Lindt 85% chocolate bar. My husband and I loved it. Reminded me of a chocolate chip and coconut cake I used to make. Thanks for the recipe!

Phaedra 08-24-2006 11:13 AM

What the heck do you do with 8 egg yolks?

Kevinpa 08-24-2006 11:57 AM

I gave the puppies a treat :) :heart:

dizneegirl 08-24-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedra
What the heck do you do with 8 egg yolks?

Custard! :D

Kevin - are the muffins very moist? Eggy? Dry like a meringue? Hard to tell from the pic, but they look interesting!

Kevinpa 08-24-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizneegirl
Custard! :D

Kevin - are the muffins very moist? Eggy? Dry like a meringue? Hard to tell from the pic, but they look interesting!

As per the name like a maccaroon. Moist but not wet....but most definitely not dry and no eggy taste. Very light.

CarolynF 08-26-2006 12:39 PM

I just made 1/2 a recipe of these muffins (without the jam)..but had some sf jam on top..and they are just marvelous, Kevin...In fact, I got 8 out of the 1/2 recipe..I guess I have cupcake tins that are not huge.

I think these would be great in muffin top pans..Thanks again.

Kevinpa 08-26-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF
I guess I have cupcake tins that are not huge.

Yes, I used those mega muffin tin for these because they are so low in carbs.

decodiana 08-26-2006 02:14 PM

I bet these would be good with a chocolate hazelnut spread either baked into or spread on..... :cool:

Kevinpa 08-27-2006 12:08 PM

[COLOR=Orange]Baking Note:[/COLOR]

The last 2 times I made this recipe I used NOW Brand unsweetened shredded coconut from netrition and they turned out great both times.

Having used up all the NOW Brand I had I used another brand today that I had bought at a local health food store and the coconut was so dry the results of this recipe were destroyed.

When I looked at the package I saw that this coconut was fat reduced and dehydrated.

If you plan to use this kind of coconut you may want to hydrate it before baking with it.

CarolynF 08-27-2006 01:36 PM

Hmmm..thanks for the heads up..I do have the full-fat coconut..and the oil is supposed to be wonderful for metabolism/thyroid, etc..

I have one left..so will be baking a whole batch later on today..

NotoSugar 08-27-2006 02:16 PM

Can you use liquid splenda in these as the sweetener?

Kevinpa 08-27-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoSugar
Can you use liquid splenda in these as the sweetener?

That is what I use but so many use different sweetener that sometimes it make more sense to just put equivilent amounts so people can use what they have.

decodiana 08-27-2006 04:42 PM

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Tweaker Geek 08-27-2006 04:56 PM

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin :clap: :clap: :up:

Dharma 08-29-2006 11:12 AM

Dying to make the coconut muffins - what would happen if you used whole eggs instead of just whites??

Also, what does the PolyD do?

Kevinpa 08-29-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dharma
Dying to make the coconut muffins - what would happen if you used whole eggs instead of just whites??

Also, what does the PolyD do?

If you used the whole egg, for 1 thing you could not get a stiff egg white meringue that make them so light.

As far as the PolyD goes it is there to add the bulk/moisture that would be missing from not using sugar.

I have no Idea what they would turn out like without the polyD or using the whole eggs.

Dharma 08-29-2006 11:44 AM

Thanks Kevin. I'm thinking of trying pumpkin as a sugar sub and using whole eggs to make a denser muffin which I prefer. I'll let you know how they turn out!!

CarolynF 08-29-2006 02:54 PM

Dharma: You found it..The original recipe is like eating a big yummy macaroon..let
us know about the tweaks..

magnamater 09-20-2006 03:55 PM

You guys made me so jealous talking about your orchards. . .and DH and I planted 12 fruit trees last weekend so some day we might have a fruit orchard too (although the climate is probably against it on the Texas Gulf Coast--to say nothing about the water table being so high.)

We'll know in a couple of years!

gpisabela 09-22-2006 11:14 AM

Kevin, how do you "insert" the jam into the muffins?

TIA,
Isabela.

Bigsky 09-22-2006 03:24 PM

Why don't you open up a low-carb bakery? Which state do you live in??

Kevinpa 09-22-2006 04:02 PM

Patty, I just retired a year ago. :doh: Quit trying to put me back to work.....:laugh:

Seriously though, I am relaxed, enjoying what I like to do, and helping people. What more can you ask for in your retiement. :cool:

Xcali 11-27-2006 10:03 PM

Hey Kev ...

In your original muffin recipe, you are using Poly-D Plus. Can I convert this recipe to use regular Poly-D? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'm dying to make this for an upcoming brunch.

TIA

Kevinpa 11-27-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcali (Post 7798535)
Hey Kev ...

In your original muffin recipe, you are using Poly-D Plus. Can I convert this recipe to use regular Poly-D? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'm dying to make this for an upcoming brunch.

TIA

At the time I made these I had run out of reg polyD so I used the plus.

To adjust to the reg polyD just add about 1/2 T. extra to the 3/4 cup sweetener.

If you are not putting a filling in them you could go as high as 1 cup of sweetener wthout a problem.

Kevinpa 11-27-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpisabela (Post 7506992)
Kevin, how do you "insert" the jam into the muffins?

TIA,
Isabela.

I am sorry Isabela, I never saw this question of yours.

When you make the muffins, you fill the muffin tin up half way and then put a spoon full of jam in the center. Then fill it the rest of the way up and then bake.

With the chocolate I rolled it up in a ball and place the choolate ball in once it was filled halfway.

Xcali 11-27-2006 10:34 PM

Thank you:D